Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 11:55   #106
PPS
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Does a flash go off when you pass the camera? Do they look like normal CCTV's?
They don't look like normal cctv camera's. I do not know about flash as all the pictures of the cars are from the rear. Take a look at the below pic.
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-mtpchc1700095478_01.jpg
Old 19th May 2017, 16:10   #107
BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

I have seen a red light flick for a second when the new cameras at marine drive clock the speed. i was driving under 50 and someone went by at 70 - 80 and i saw a small red blink. Hope this helps everyone. i think the speed limit for town and urban areas is 60 . so as long as we are under it we should be fine.
Old 30th May 2017, 21:57   #108
BHPian

This incident happened with me in Jogeshwari end of JVLR, at the signal below the flyover on western express highway where JVLR starts, on 26th May 2017, a few days back.

I was coming from Bandra and while taking a right turn towards JVLR at the signal below flyover on Western express highway, there were 5 seconds remaining (for the signal to turn orange) and the signal was 'green' for going straight and taking right. A motorbike on my right, a swift dzire tourist car on my left and my car, all 3 of us took the right turn together (while the signal was green and 5 seconds to go). All 3 of us were stopped by the traffic police below the flyover. The person on the motorbike told something to the cop and the cop let him go. There was a lady riding pillion and I don't remember clearly, but I think the guy on the bike was not even wearing a helmet.

Then the cop asked me and the swift dzire tourist car driver to pay a fine for signal jumping. As far as I remember the signal was green for taking a right turn and I have committed no offense. I told the cop that I have not done anything wrong but he insisted that I have jumped signal and asked me to show my license. I did not want to show him my license as I did not do anything wrong but he threatened me that he will book me for driving without a license! I reluctantly showed him my license and co-operated with him. He forcibly handed over a challan to me under 'Offense section no. - 239/177 MVA - signal jumping' for Rs. 200/-. He entered my license no. and mobile no. on his hand held device and handed me a challan print out. There is no instruction on the challan as to how to pay the fine. I was in no mood to ask him and I drove off.

I was quite upset with the entire incident. I decided not to pay the fine straightaway but instead first check their online fine payment website. After reading this thread, I logged in to the RTO website with my car's reg. no. and found that the challan has been uploaded. On viewing the details of the challan, I did not find any CCTV footage or image of the 'so-called' offense, like in many cases there is a clear photo of the offense being committed (like stopping ahead of white line or over-speeding etc.). Instead, there was only 1 image of my car's front bonnet with the number plate which I remember the cop had taken with a camera when he was issuing me a challan. This does not prove that I jumped signal especially when I know I haven't. So obviously there is no video or photo evidence provided to prove I was at fault, if at all, as per the cop's version. I decided to try and contest this challan which was wrongfully handed over to me.

I wrote an email detailing out the entire episode with the challan details to the email address provided in the contact us section on Mumbai RTO website. The email address is cp.mumbai.jtcp.traf@mahapolice.gov.in. I sent an email yesterday (on 29th May 2017) and I received a response today. The email is in Marathi language. From my limited knowledge of Marathi, what I understand is that Mr. Milind Bharambe, the person to whom I have written has forwarded my email to the concerned department (multimediacell.traffic@mahapolice.gov.in) and asked them to look into this matter and take necessary action. They have done a 'cc' of the email forward to me.

Following is the email forwarded to multimedia cell and cc to me:

सदर अर्जातील विषयाबाबत आपण सक्षम अधिकारी असल्याने सदर अर्ज पुढील आवश्यक कार्यवाहीसाठी आपल्याकडे पाठविण्यात आले आहे.
सदर अर्जावर नियमानुसार आवश्यक कार्यवाही करावी केलेली कार्यवाही अर्जदारास कळविण्यात यावी व केलेल्या कार्यवाहीचा अहवाल सह पोलिस आयुक्त कार्यालय वाहतुक याना ईमेल द्वारे सादर करावा ही विनंती.
धन्यवाद
सह पोलिस आयुक्त कार्यालय

वाहतुक वरळी मुंबई – 400030

Although I am impressed with the prompt response and some action being taken on RTO's behalf and most importantly at least RTO decided to respond to my complaint, I don't think they will waive off the fine for lack of evidence? I will update on this thread further if I hear anything from the RTO. Fingers crossed!
ar.abc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 22:32   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Has anyone tried this for out of state cars, non MH registered cars?
Seems only MH regn cars offenses can be recorded on this portal
I can confirm that this works for out of state cars too. A friend has a PY registered car and had a speeding offence logged on the Sea Link, along with the photo.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 20:06   #110
Senior - BHPian

Update :

So basically the previous owner of my bimmer had some fines pending, He had transferred me the money for the fines but i had completely forgotten to pay for it & the result? 2 Traffic police cops show up at my place with the list of fines the car have, After knowing i was the second owner and the fines were because of the previous owner they became friendly and asked me to tell the previous owner to pay for the fines.

They will be visiting everyone who has a fine pending regardless of the amount. So guys just pay your fines & fool proof.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 21:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
[b]So basically the previous owner of my bimmer had some fines pending...
A small alert!

Even if you pay the fine with the previous owner's money and on his behalf, the cops will need a driving license number to mark the offences against. It is so at least in Bengaluru, specially when one pays the fine online.

So it would have been better had you requested him to clear all the fines on his own.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 21:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
A small alert!

Even if you pay the fine with the previous owner's money and on his behalf, the cops will need a driving license number to mark the offences against. It is so at least in Bengaluru, specially when one pays the fine online.

So it would have been better had you requested him to clear all the fines on his own.

Nope, It is not compulsory to add a license number, After selecting the fine when the pop up comes to enter the licence number simply select cancel, It always says there if you want to skip this step click on cancel, I just paid all the fines without entering any licence number.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 22:00   #113
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2 Traffic police cops show up at my place with the list of fines the car have,
Which part of Mumbai are you based?
Had read about this in newspapers but didn't know they would really start turning up outside the offenders home so soon! So instead of managing traffic they will be busy with this exercise.
Do they collect the fines right there & then ?
Old 7th June 2017, 23:03   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Which part of Mumbai are you based?
Central Suburbs.

Quote:
Had read about this in newspapers but didn't know they would really start turning up outside the offenders home so soon! So instead of managing traffic they will be busy with this exercise.
Do they collect the fines right there & then ?
I too had read about it, I wondered if they would actually do it, The cop also showed me a the bunch of papers, He had to go visit them all! Also it doesn't depend upon the amount of the fine, So be it 200 or 2000, They will visit. So guys who never paid, Its better to pay rather than dealing with such a visit.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 7th June 2017 at 23:09.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 01:29   #115
BHPian

I must note however it doesn't work everytime. I've been on the sea link numerous times and am pretty certain have been over the limit more than a couple of times, but received an e-challan only once. A friend who takes the sea link every day, has not logged even one offence even though he is over the speed limit nearly every single time.
Old 8th June 2017, 01:49   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
I must note however it doesn't work everytime. I've been on the sea link numerous times and am pretty certain have been over the limit more than a couple of times, but received an e-challan only once. A friend who takes the sea link every day, has not logged even one offence even though he is over the speed limit nearly every single time.
Its only during the peak office hours when they monitor it very strictly it seems, The previous owner of my car had got 5 fines on the sea link all of them during 6 pm doing around 85 to 90 kph! 1000rs for each fine, I can be very sure they don't really monitor during the night time, Post 9-10 pm i assume.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 01:52   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Its only during the peak office hours when they monitor it very strictly it seems, The previous owner of my car had got 5 fines on the sea link all of them during 6 pm doing around 85 to 90 kph! 1000rs for each fine, I can be very sure they don't really monitor during the night time, Post 9-10 pm i assume.
Again not true, I have a violation from 8:55pm, and have seen some during the night as well. I don't think it's monitored by time. Also is you see the screenshot in the post in this thread by PPS, he has a violation from 9:08pm.

But you're right they all seem to be in the 85-100kph range.
Old 8th June 2017, 01:57   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again not true, I have a violation from 8:55pm, and have seen some during the night as well. I don't think it's monitored by time. Also is you see the screenshot in the post in this thread by PPS, he has a violation from 9:08pm.
Yeah indeed, I almost cross sea link every night post 11 in the night & i have never got a challan, So i was just assuming maybe they don't work late in the night, If they are still monitering in the night, I might have been lucky every single night since they have started this initiative.

Quote:
But you're right they all seem to be in the 85-100kph range.
Has anyone got a fine for doing anything over a 100 kph or above?
Old 8th June 2017, 02:04   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Good question, not that I know of. Interestingly every single fine I have seen has been in the 90-98kph range, and not a single one over that. But it would be hard to believe the cameras would only catch speeding below 100kph. That's more self-desructive than the initiative they have taken
Old 8th June 2017, 02:11   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah indeed, I almost cross sea link every night post 11 in the night & i have never got a challan, So i was just assuming maybe they don't work late in the night, If they are still monitering in the night, I might have been lucky every single night since they have started this initiative.

Quote:
Good question, not that I know of. Interestingly every single fine I have seen has been in the 90-98kph range, and not a single one over that. But it would be hard to believe the cameras would only catch speeding below 100kph. That's more self-desructive than the initiative they have taken

My friend has been fined on his Rapid at 6:00 AM and also at 3:30 AM on the sea link itself. One clocked at 95 and the other at around 115. He has a total of 3 fines. October, November and February. Hasn't paid them yet. Just checked

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th June 2017 at 12:55. Reason: Removing some spaces from quote :)
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks