Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2017, 20:44   #76
BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Another goof up by the e-challan system, & this is really surprising!!
I was checking any pending challans of ny family vehicles & found that there is a pending challan for my bro in law's car. When I saw the picture of the offence on the website, I was like
The people responsible misread the digit 05 as 03 which is crystal clear in the picture, and issued a challan against MH 03 BS XXXX instead of MH 05 BS XXXX

Pics for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-img_7932.jpg  

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-img_7929.jpg  

TheRajput is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 18:11   #77
BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post
Okay. So I get a message on Thursday afternoon from the MTP saying I have jumped a signal on my motorcycle and I am fined Rs. 200/- which has to be paid.
She politely asks me to send an email to 'mtpcallinfo@gmail.com' .
I have sent an email to the email and I am expecting to have the issue resolved soon.

An update on my comment previously on Pg3 of this thread, I had written an email to the the given email address to provide me a pictorial proof of the committed offense to which I got a sms from "IM-MUMTRF" saying 'Your Challan Cancellation Request for the Vehicle No. MH01BCxxxx / Challan No. MTPCHM17002300xx for the offense of "signal jumping" has been rejected. Please pay the fine amount at the earliest.

To which I immediately replied to them kindly asking them to provide me a pictorial proof of the offense and I would happily oblige and pay the fine immediately. I also wrote to them the possibilities of this error. Either the person who was responsible of noting down the numbers made a mistake or worse, someone else is riding with my registration plates on his motorcycle!

What I do not understand is how someone will just the Mumbai Traffic Police's word for an offense without any proof. I know at least I wont.

I read someone's comment before saying that he could pay the damn fine and move on, but why should one succumb to this?
If the system is changing for good, I am all in. I have started leaving 10 minutes early for office just so that even the thought of jumping a red light or changing lanes abruptly does not come to me. But I need to be vary of myself being bitten in the rear with the irregularity of changes happening.

Will wait for them to reply and update on the thread.

DM99
dhawalmakwana99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 08:57   #78
BHPian

So travelled to Pune day before yesterday and took a car on my way back at 9:00 PM and didn't see a single car following the speed limit of 80 km/hr.
Asked the driver about the limit and challans and/or police halting people for over speeding and he denied that any of it happens on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Has anyone got charged so far on this route? Didn't take my car cause of a bubble I have on my rear tyre (Xm2).
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 09:44   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
So travelled to Pune day before yesterday and took a car on my way back at 9:00 PM and didn't see a single car following the speed limit of 80 km/hr.
Asked the driver about the limit and challans and/or police halting people for over speeding and he denied that any of it happens on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Has anyone got charged so far on this route? Didn't take my car cause of a bubble I have on my rear tyre (Xm2).
The police are quite active at the exits of the toll booths ( I travel to Mumbai on weekends). They check your receipts and calculate the average speed. I see a loop hole in this. Majority of the travelers take a break at the food plazas. Take a break of half or one hour and drive above the speed limit, defeats the whole purpose of imposing the speed limit, isn't it?
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 19:31   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
It is a very good start. It is bound to have some lacunas which I am hoping will soon be overcome and supported with better infrastructure.
My Innova too was spotted ahead of whiteline at Gandhi Nagar Vikhroli Junction Signal and I duly paid the fine by NetBanking.
Now, today was a straight away violation witnessed right in front of me by the law-protectors only.

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-wp_20170401_00330pc.jpg

At the same signal as I was fined in my quoted earlier post, as the signal turned yellow, I slowed down and inspite of honking from behind, stopped just before white line in the rightmost lane.

The signal turns red. Much after the signal turning red, the Alto, scoot, and the Traffic Police Sumo comes from left side and stand at their respective positions as in picture deliberately crossing the white line and stopping much ahead of the White Line.

Now, what will the traffic department do?

The camera is right at the signal visible and the line we are is in direct sight of the camera with the clear road ahead.

I would expect all these vehicles to be surely held responsible and treated as such just like I was, whereas in my case, I was even much less ahead of white line for which I paid fine.

But, what I feel agony of is the vehicle belonging to the department itself not honoring the regulations. Atleast they could set the precedent in such cases. The traffic hawaldars just passing time right at the signal visible, where a traffic chowky is also installed, don't care to educate people.

Last edited by parsh : 1st April 2017 at 19:34.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 13:16   #81
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Just checked the Mumbai Police website for any further offences. A few more offences are committed by my driver but there is no picture uploaded nor location given!
Infact, a few months back when i checked there was a picture of my car speeding on the Sealink which isn't there now,strange!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 10:58   #82
Team-BHP Support

Good news:

They seem to have fixed the issue where entering a car number would show the previously linked Mobile number (presumably of the car owner).

Now it just shows up blank.

Bad news:

As PPS also noticed, images that were once present as evidence seem to be disappearing. (Eg. in post #1, the image of the i20 wrongly identified as my Vento). Don't know if this is a temporary bug, or a hair-brained scheme to "save storage space" (ie. delete old pics). I'm guessing it's the latter.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th April 2017 at 10:59.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 12:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Bad news:

As PPS also noticed, images that were once present as evidence seem to be disappearing. (Eg. in post #1, the image of the i20 wrongly identified as my Vento). Don't know if this is a temporary bug, or a hair-brained scheme to "save storage space" (ie. delete old pics). I'm guessing it's the latter.
The same situation with mine too, as I had checked before posting on 1st April above.

Presumably the latter issue. But isn't that ridiculous?
While it is logical to recycle periodic CCTV footage to save space, atleast should have been designed to purposefully maintain anything to do with an offence, video or pic, for future reference.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 15:20   #84
BHPian

I for one, think the MTP online system is a complete farce in it's current avatar, merely a tool to fleece citizens for minor offences which the traffic police themselves do not follow.

I have received fines on my cars on the system, but none of them have any evidence attached. Going by the posts of other members on the forum, it is entirely possible they may have misread someone else's license plate. Who knows?

As @dhawalmakwana99 has posted earlier, even emailing them does not help. They are not interested in resolving genuine issues. They only care about collecting fines.

Lastly, how many times have any of you seen a policeman break a traffic rule. They don't care about white lines and signals at all. I'm sure everyone on the forum has seen a police officer riding his bike without a helmet, yet they have no problems fining us for the same.

This isn't the rant of someone who breaks rules and feels that his rights are being violated. But this MTP system is broken.

If the MTP system was implemented correctly, if I could get evidence of my violations, if the police tried to sort out genuine issues, the system could work. If not just private car owners, but even BEST bus drivers, auto-wallahs, 2-wheeler riders, police vehicles, VIP vehicles were all brought under the ambit of this system, I would support it 100%.

I have friend's with 2-wheelers bragging about how they can break all the rules with no fear. It's just not fair. I reject the MTP system. It's a con, targeting only us middle-class folks affluent enough to own our own vehicles. I have seen plenty of private cars changing their habits to stopping behind white line, and not cutting signals. I haven't seen a single auto-wallah or 2-wheeler rider do the same.

The police should release statistics showing how many VIP vehicles, police vehicles, BEST busses have been caught and fined on the MTP app. Then people like me would at least have faith in the system. We would know it is equal for all. But that's unlikely to happen.

So what will I do? Well, my cars have fines on them, but they have no evidence. I never received an sms, or a mail, so I'm going to ignore the fines, pretend I've never even heard of this MTP challan system (which I never would have if it wasn't for team-bhp) and go on with my life.

Jo hoyega, dekha jayega

Last edited by kadanaJ : 13th April 2017 at 15:25.
kadanaJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 11:58   #85
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the new face of the portal. Shows number and email for any communications about the echallans.

Number: 84-54-999-999
Email: multimediacell.traffic@mahapolice.gov.in

Also checked the echallan and the images are back. Guess it was a temporary technical glitch in portal mods.

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-echallan-system.jpg

Last edited by parsh : 14th April 2017 at 12:01.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 12:57   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just saw the new face of the portal. Shows number and email for any communications about the echallans.
Excellent. I've written to them about the i20 in the challan that was wrongly identified as my Vento.

Let's see how responsive they are...

Quote:
Also checked the echallan and the images are back. Guess it was a temporary technical glitch in portal mods.
Yes, glad to see that
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 14:27   #87
Senior - BHPian

Checked both my cars ( one has actually been sold off last year) and came out clean.

Minor or major, flawed or not, the system aims to cut down the corruption, being about much greater transparency and will go a long way in making citizens follow rules.

I might be able to sweet talk a cop, but I can't fool a camera.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 12:45   #88
Team-BHP Support

And now entering a Mobile number isn't required at all!

I can't seem to spot any personal information being given away*... so perhaps this is a good (and very transparent) solution?

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-screenshot-20170511124235.png

* = Even in the PayTM payment receipt. Maybe someone who made a credit card payment could also check...
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 15:06   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone have an idea what the turn-around time is between the offence being committed, and the same being uploaded on the portal?

I am quite sure my car was caught speeding last weekend, but no offence is up as yet and the car has been sold to the new owner this week. Wanted to clear it all before handing over the vehicle.

Also - a lot of cameras have come up. Marine Drive has one, but no speed limit signages have been posted as yet, or rather any that are easily visible.
Old 11th May 2017, 15:33   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Happened to me back in October 2016, on an afternoon.
I was on my way to Pune from Bombay, and as a driver, I have an OCD of always using my indicators, whilst turning or changing lanes.
So, what happened was, as soon as I crossed the exit toll naka, a traffic cop pulled me over claiming that their 'spotters' noticed me illegally cutting lanes, and that I'll have to shell out a fine of ₹200/-
I was on my way to an important meeting, so I did not bother asking for photographic proof, and all that jazz, because the officer who collected the fine from me gave me a totally legit reciept for the same.
And that brought me to the conclusion that this probably mostly is to clear a daily quota of 'offenses', that cops have to submit to the system.

But, to answer your query, yes, the pulling over scene on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway is pretty strong since over half a year now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks