Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2017, 02:15   #121
BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
My friend has been fined on his Rapid at 6:00 AM and also at 3:30 AM on the sea link itself. One clocked at 95 and the other at around 115. He has a total of 3 fines. October, November and February. Hasn't paid them yet. Just checked
Well that just proves it's got nothing to do with speed either. Maybe its lane specific and they haven't figured it out for the side lanes yet.

Also how does one get to know about these fines apart from stumbling upon the webpage or cops showing up at your door? Surely there has to be a SMS or post-based notification system? I received neither.
Old 8th June 2017, 02:27   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Well that just proves it's got nothing to do with speed either. Maybe its lane specific and they haven't figured it out for the side lanes yet.

Also how does one get to know about these fines apart from stumbling upon the webpage or cops showing up at your door? Surely there has to be a SMS or post-based notification system? I received neither.

Probably, all these 3 are on the middle lane. Since then have told him not to drive in the center. Also, I've not got any challan yet, done some stupid speeds on the sea link but always on the first lane.
No one received a message for these, my curiosity kicked in and started checking all my friends car numbers. I'm the only one not to have a challan
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 02:59   #123
BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Probably, all these 3 are on the middle lane. Since then have told him not to drive in the center. Also, I've not got any challan yet, done some stupid speeds on the sea link but always on the first lane.
No one received a message for these, my curiosity kicked in and started checking all my friends car numbers. I'm the only one not to have a challan
I think so too, maybe its only implemented for the middle lane.

And in that case, many people are in for a rude awakening to have cops at their doorstep, only to find they are there to collect a speeding fine. Entertainment for the neighbours nonetheless!
Old 8th June 2017, 13:02   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maybe its lane specific and they haven't figured it out for the side lanes yet.
From what I've seen, going North, there is only 1 centrally placed camera. Though I'm sure it has a FOV of all lanes. Not sure if it also does the speed detection, or if there's another device/s i missed.

Quote:
Also how does one get to know about these fines apart from stumbling upon the webpage or cops showing up at your door? Surely there has to be a SMS or post-based notification system?
I got an SMS recently...
(though this was after I used this portal and had already entered my mobile number for the OTP)
Name:  Screenshot_20170608125802.png
Views: 2166
Size:  82.4 KB

Note: I received the SMS 3 days after the offense. It also took a few hours for the pictures to show up, after i received the SMS.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th June 2017 at 13:04.
Old 8th June 2017, 15:37   #125
BHPian

I just check the Mumbai Police website today. Now it does not even ask you for your mobile number for the OTP. It asks you to fill the capcha.

Though I have no new fines, it would be better to be informed about the violation - when caught.

Wish they just have a simple registration of Mobile Numbers for each vehicle.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:43   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I just check the Mumbai Police website today. Now it does not even ask you for your mobile number for the OTP. It asks you to fill the capcha.

Though I have no new fines, it would be better to be informed about the violation - when caught.

Wish they just have a simple registration of Mobile Numbers for each vehicle.
Yup, I never had to put my phone number either, just the 4-digit captcha. I also heard from a colleague that he received a letter by post about his violation almost two weeks after the incident, but I cannot verify this. Although if cops do infact show up at your door, it is likely that this could be true.
Old 8th June 2017, 15:45   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think so too, maybe its only implemented for the middle lane.

And in that case, many people are in for a rude awakening to have cops at their doorstep, only to find they are there to collect a speeding fine. Entertainment for the neighbours nonetheless!
Rumour has it that some of the cameras have flown off due to wind / been removed; hence no new tickets have been coming off late on the sealink.

Not sure how true this is, but a couple of speeding friends (in the middle lane) have not been fined.

I am sure they will put it back soon, along with all the other spots they are targetting:
- there are a few just after sealink on reclamation - some still have to be installed.
- one on the straight before the airport - the only stretch where people can really speed.
- one on marine drive

I for one, like a lot of the spots they've chosen, but some of the locations just make me wonder of the chaos that will start soon!

And then there are those locations where I sincerely wonder why money is even being wasted!

Has anyone noticed driver's driving slowly, but a whole lot more rash recently?
Old 8th June 2017, 21:23   #128
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
So i was just assuming maybe they don't work late in the night,
As some others have pointed out, its got nothing to do with time, everything is random & it all boils down to your luck !

Quote:
Maybe its lane specific and they haven't figured it out for the side lanes yet.
I always drive on the right most lane & most times over the speed limit, no e-challans so far! I always tell my driver not to drive in the middle lane but he doesn't listen and the result is 3 speeding fines!

Quote:
Surely there has to be a SMS or post-based notification system? I received neither.
I've also received a similar sms as Rehaan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
And then there are those locations where I sincerely wonder why money is even being wasted!
There are a string of them installed at Lion Gate just before the signal!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 13:53   #129
Team-BHP Support

Went for a walk yesterday, and the e-challan effect is super visible!

Never in my life have I seen vehicles stop at these positions, before the CCTV system.

On one hand, it just shows that improved surveillance and enforcement can make a difference in our traffic behaviour.

On the other hand, it shows just how ridiculous this "stopping after the line" rule is, especially with our horribly planned infra. Just look how far back the pedestrian crossings & lines are!!!

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-img_20170608_185216.jpg

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-img_20170608_204607.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2017 at 12:28.
Rehaan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 11:51   #130
BHPian

I too have noticed a dramatic improvement in stopping before the zebra crossing and jumping red lights. Just goes to show that enforcement of rules goes a long way in discipline. We are the first to break rules but don't wish to pay fines.

I had once see a short video (posted by one of my friends on Whatsapp) where a car stopped midway on the zebra crossing. Some of the pedestrians actually walked over the bonnet of the car, much to the dismay of the driver.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 11:32   #131
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Some of the bhpians in this thread had got their traffic offences revoked/cancelled by contesting the same by writing to the multimedia cell of the Mumbai Police. I did something similar by writing to them, the offence being for signal jumping below the infamous Jogeshwari flyover on WEH.

Here is what happened. The signal was green when my driver took the right turn to go towards Western Express Highway south bound direction below the JVLR flyover. He overtook a luxury bus from the left crossed the white line(if there was any) when signal was green, after that signal turned yellow & thereafter red and my car couldn't move ahead as there are various potholes on that stretch. I was pulled over and told that i have committed an offence of signal jumping.

I was stopped by a warden who assists the 2 traffic cops who were present there, the 2 traffic cops were busy catching other cars. The warden just randomly assumed my car had jumped the signal since mine was the 'last car'.Warden referred this to the traffic cop on duty.

I told the traffic cop that there was no jumping of the signal but he insisted that i jumped the signal. It may again be noted that none of the 2 traffic cops posted there were looking in the direction of my car! Cop enters the number of my car on his device and tells me i am yet to pay earlier fines totalling to Rs 2,200. I tell the cop I'll pay them online & contest today's offence of signal jumping. The cop tell me he has powers to confiscate the licence of my driver till fine is paid (will check if there is any such provision under the Act) I request him to give back my drivers licence which he does. I email multimedia cell, send them reminder again & today after 2 weeks i received the below email saying its a manual challan & they dont have any footage. Now, i wonder what i need to do!
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-img_2652.png
Old 13th July 2017, 12:00   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
after 2 weeks i received the below email saying its a manual challan & they dont have any footage.
Hmmm... this is a good lesson for all of us to learn I guess!

We can't rely on old CCTV footage being around to contest manual challans.

I wonder if they just delete old footage, or they do keep it (most likely) but are just unlikely to take the time to go through archived footage to contest manual tickets.

Would be cool if they had a service where you could pay a fee to have footage reviewed, and if you were found innocent, the fee would be returned to you and challan canceled.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 17:14   #133
Senior - BHPian

Today I checked a similar initiative of punetrafficop.net and surprisingly there was a challan on my car for violation "stopping ahead of the white line".
On checking the image, it was of a two wheeler, whereas mine is a car. On closer look, they input the registration number wrongly. The bike had MH12 HP and they charged my car MH12 NP.

How do I contest this? Is there any email address for sending grievances?
There is no link on the site, the image and the payment link.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:35   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Excellent. I've written to them about the i20 in the challan that was wrongly identified as my Vento.

Let's see how responsive they are...
5 months later i got this reply to my original mail

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-screenshot-20170905122918.png

However, the issue was resolved earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nothing had been done about it.

I forwarded the same mail to them once again (to both the addresses you've mentioned).

Today I checked and that fine has been removed!
Old 5th September 2017, 15:12   #135
PPS
Senior - BHPian

My Dad finally ended up paying the e-challans today amounting to around 4k after reading newspaper reports that cars would be randomly stopped after Sealink Tollbooth to check whether there are any e-challans pending since its getting difficult for the Traffic Police to ensure motorists pay up!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks