Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2017, 14:17   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Similar story - my brother in-law's car was towed last week, and they wouldn't return it to him until all the pending fines were cleared (he didn't even know about the fines before that).

Also, look at how the car drivers are living in fear, whereas the bike riders know they are excluded from this!
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-20170821_191227.jpg
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 18:42   #137
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

I got to know through one of the Top Gear episodee that speed cameras were installed inside police vans to catch unsuspecting speeding motorists in the UK.

Guess someone in the Mumbai RTO also watched that episode.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-20170920_142030.jpg  

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 00:39   #138
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday morning while going to bandra from malad i was booked. I think its got to be the cams at kherwadi on weh or the ones at reclamation. There's no proof attached or any speed given but i was doing around 80 to 100 kmh. This was at 6am and i got the sms at 5pm or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-screenshot_20171231180646872_com.android.mms.png  

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-screenshot_20171231180703886_com.android.chrome.png  

straight6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:44   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Yesterday morning while going to bandra from malad i was booked.
Is the fine for overspeeding 1000? I have no experience of overspeeding fine but do know that jumping signal attracts 200. In comparison, overspeeding seems quite steep!
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:22   #140
BHPian

Wow I did not know that the cameras were catching on speed also. I have been booked once for crossing the stop line in Mulund, LBS road and in that case it was almost immediate within an hour of the incident i received an SMS.

I travel on the eastern freeway which has cameras at multilple sections including one dedicated speed camera section near the exit at CST end. Fortunately not been clicked there as yet inspite of speed limit being 60. I dont think anybody travels below 80 on the freeway.

Yes it is surprising that fine for signal breaking is 200 when fine for fancy number plate is 1000.
jinu_joseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:31   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yesterday morning while going to bandra from malad i was booked. I think its got to be the cams at kherwadi on weh or the ones at reclamation. There's no proof attached or any speed given but i was doing around 80 to 100 kmh. This was at 6am and i got the sms at 5pm or so.
Easy for me to say but I don't think you should agree to pay if there's no proof. The fact that they are enforcing rules is good but there should be proof to back it up.

I guess contesting this will mean a court case? Wonder how time, money and peace of mind consuming that will be.
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:39   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There's no proof attached or any speed given
The details / images will appear after a few days (or maybe a week).

I've noticed that the images don't show up in the challan immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Yes it is surprising that fine for signal breaking is 200 when fine for fancy number plate is 1000.
Maybe because the fancy numberplate is preventing them from charging the person for all the other offenses!
(Fancy plates won't be readable by the ANPR system)

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd January 2018 at 13:51.
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:47   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Maybe because the fancy numberplate is preventing them from charging the person for all the other offenses!
(Fancy plates won't be readable by the ANPR system)
They are actually using ANPR systems. I doubt it. I thought there was a regular constable or equivalent sitting at a PC and selecting the cars to be booked.
jinu_joseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:25   #144
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think its got to be the cams at kherwadi on weh or the ones at reclamation.
You should definitely contest the fine by writing to them. Neither have they posted any photo of the offence nor have they disclosed the location where this offence occured.
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:44   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
They are actually using ANPR systems. I doubt it. I thought there was a regular constable or equivalent sitting at a PC and selecting the cars to be booked.
I think they have the capabilities, but they aren't using the systems for some reason (see the news report video posted in this thread - it shows how the number plate details are manually entered - at least for line violations).

However, to be future proof, plates need to be legible by ANPR.
Old 5th January 2018, 14:24   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think they have the capabilities, but they aren't using the systems for some reason (see the news report video posted in this thread - it shows how the number plate details are manually entered - at least for line violations).

However, to be future proof, plates need to be legible by ANPR.
You were right. The pic is now up on the link. Do you think this is with a flash or just infrared? I. Going to put my old plates back on which the black is scuffed up.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-mtpchc1700957582_01.jpg  

Old 20th January 2018, 16:36   #147
BHPian

If I've this MTP App installed on my mobile & linked my mobile number with registration number of my car, now when I sell my car, can I de-link my mobile number from that car? What are the ways to do it?
Old 20th January 2018, 17:13   #148
BHPian

Review: Mumbai Police's Online System for Traffic Violations (eChallans)

Got fined ₹200 on 28th September for crossing the white line.
But the pictures shows my car on the white line. And I don't remember me being there in that area at that time as I'm usually at office that time of the day.

Attachment 1719254
Am I in the wrong actually?
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-imageuploadedbyteambhp1516448601.717825.jpg  

Last edited by dean5545 : 20th January 2018 at 17:15.
Old 20th January 2018, 17:18   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
But the pictures shows my car on the white line. And I don't remember me being there in that area at that time as I'm usually at office that time of the day.

If the white fortuner is your car - you are half on the zebra crossing, which is definitely in the wrong.
Check the close up of the car to see the number plate - if it's your car. Maybe the driver took it out for some errands.
Old 20th January 2018, 18:40   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post

Attachment 1719254
The White Line (Stop Line, generally there are double white lines) is before the Zebra crossing and not after. You have already crossed the White Line and are onto Pedestrian Zebra crossing, i.e. if that is your Fortuner, you are referring to. You can get penalised if caught crossing White Line even by small margin. I had to shell out fine for a very small margin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks