Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 13:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Hindustan Motors sells brand 'Ambassador' to Peugeot

For their sheer styling, I have become an ardent fan of Peugeots and really wish they could come up with their products in India sooner than later. Also commendable is their diesel engine prowess (Owners of 90's 309 GLDs would vouch for it. Add to that the traditional ride characteristics of Europeans.
My guess would be they would choose to resurrect the Amby as a cult brand and they would also taste reasonable success in that. For this, the European company has to inject its engines and engineering tech, including fit and finish, interiors in to the brand.
Lets see what happens.
Old 13th February 2017, 13:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have a different take on this. I think Peugeot will make the current generation amby in a new avatar (great interiors, euro spec build etc) and sell it in EU market. The brand has a cult following in EU and people want to import ambassadors. It'll be good for the brand to be back in action, in India or elsewhere...!
Old 13th February 2017, 14:53   #33
BHPian

Came across the below article in Business Standard:

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1200796_1.html

Few points mentioned (Cut paste from the article):

1) The iconic Ambassador is likely to be relaunched from the Peugeot SA (PSA) stable in a new avatar and at a new price point (could be Rs 5.5-6 lakh and go up to Rs 9 lakh).

2) Peugeot wanted to acquire the Ambassador brand and launch it as a state-of-the-car targeted at the mid-market segment, said Rajeev Shah, managing director and chief executive officer, RBSA Advisors.

3) RBSA advised Hindustan Motors on the sale of the Ambassador brand to Peugeot for Rs 80 crore.

4) Peugeot had acquired not just the mother brand Ambassador but all its variants as well. However, the sale doesn’t include the Uttarpara plant in West Bengal, where the Ambassador used to be manufactured.

PS: Little shocked to read that Vento and City in the 6-9 price bracket
Kiterunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 15:23   #34
BHPian

I think the brand Ambassador was a steal for 80 crores! For just over 11.2 million euros, PSA now has a historic brand in it's kitty.

They could totally turn it around and give it a cult following as with the Vespa, Royan enfield etc. Imagine a curvy new gen ambassador with the latest tech and a choice of fine customization options! The car will have international appeal!
Old 13th February 2017, 15:38   #35
psn
BHPian

80 cr for a brand like Ambassador seems like such a waste. Infact I think that, the name, Ambassador is a burden for any manufacturer wishing to use it, in their future products. The reasons IMO are as below:
1) The customers in India have moved on and have just started getting access new and more modern machines and a name like ambassador takes us back a few decades- totally contrarian to the gen. direction of the market.
2)The mass market in gen. also hasn't evolved to a level where people will buy a modern Ambassador even if it doesn't tick all the boxes, just because its named Ambassador. Unlike abroad, where a 2 seater retro VW Beetle or a mini in all shapes and body type works. It should tick all the boxes, and still stay true to its name, design wise, then only will it have a chance to succeed. A big risk for a company which has already burnt its hands in this market.
Fresh name, Fresh product. Fresh company(well mostly).

And I hope in the quest to make a new Ambassador, they don't make a Crysler PT Cruiser out of it.

Last edited by psn : 13th February 2017 at 15:48. Reason: Typo
Old 13th February 2017, 18:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

My guess is Peugeot will launch a car which will compete with Skoda Superb or Passat, having a retro touch to its design and use the 'Ambassador' name which stood for pride and comfort (and reliability ? ,not sure as I was not born when Amby ruled the roads in India). This is just a wild guess. Retro is always stylish (Vespa, Beetle,Ford Mustang, Mercedes SLS sticking to the basic design) and currently there are no sedans using this card. If they succeed in doing this,
the guy who brought this brand to life will be on the cover of Forbes magazine.

Using that brand name for launching an entry level Sedan or even a hatchback does not make any sense to me ! What do you guys think ?
Old 13th February 2017, 19:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
(and reliability ? ,not sure as I was not born when Amby ruled the roads in India).
The Ambassador was notoriously unreliable; the running joke at the time was that the only thing in it that did not reliably make a noise was the horn.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 01:04   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
My guess is Peugeot will launch a car which will compete with Skoda Superb or Passat, having a retro touch to its design and use the 'Ambassador' name which stood for pride and comfort (and reliability ? ,not sure as I was not born when Amby ruled the roads in India). This is just a wild guess. Retro is always stylish (Vespa, Beetle,Ford Mustang, Mercedes SLS sticking to the basic design) and currently there are no sedans using this card. If they succeed in doing this,
the guy who brought this brand to life will be on the cover of Forbes magazine.

Using that brand name for launching an entry level Sedan or even a hatchback does not make any sense to me ! What do you guys think ?
i agree, if amby is re-launched with all latest tech, engine, suspension with amby body styling (little evolved) at price of 20L or little more, it will sell well. The 40+ age group who grew up in middle class with seeing ambys on the road and owned by rich class of that time, have an aspiration to own an amby but cannot afford the niggles. If they can lay hands on a modern cruiser with amby styling packaged well, then many will jump on it.

Lets see if peugeot heeds to this.
Old 14th February 2017, 10:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiterunner View Post

4) Peugeot had acquired not just the mother brand Ambassador but all its variants as well. However, the sale doesn’t include the Uttarpara plant in West Bengal, where the Ambassador used to be manufactured.
And I sincerely hope they don't set up plant in the Uttarpara facility in the near future, because of the pathetic political atmosphere. It would be suicide if they think of manufacturing in WB (take a look at HM and Nano).
Avikbrio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 11:42   #40
BHPian

Just read this article, where the great advertising minds have a sharp insight on how this particular product needs to be relaunched: http://www.afaqs.com/news/story/4985...and-Ambassador

All I care for is, give me the retro looks, standard modern fitments, decent after sales support, and you can have my money Peugeot!
Old 14th February 2017, 16:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avikbrio View Post
And I sincerely hope they don't set up plant in the Uttarpara facility in the near future, because of the pathetic political atmosphere. It would be suicide if they think of manufacturing in WB (take a look at HM and Nano).
Agreed.
Peugeot may look at other states if they need to set up a manufacturing facility as the Nano fiasco dented a lot of reputation for WB.
Old 14th February 2017, 18:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avikbrio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiterunner View Post
Agreed.
Peugeot may look at other states if they need to set up a manufacturing facility as the Nano fiasco dented a lot of reputation for WB.
The Uttarpara, WB plant is not a part of the sale.

'the sale doesn’t include the Uttarpara plant in West Bengal, where the Ambassador used to be manufactured.'

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1200796_1.html
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 19:19   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawnak View Post
i agree, if amby is re-launched with all latest tech, engine, suspension with amby body styling (little evolved) at price of 20L or little more, it will sell well. The 40+ age group who grew up in middle class with seeing ambys on the road and owned by rich class of that time, have an aspiration to own an amby but cannot afford the niggles. If they can lay hands on a modern cruiser with amby styling packaged well, then many will jump on it.

Lets see if peugeot heeds to this.

The Ambassador was the quintessential family car.
When my Dad worked for the Tea companies in the 1970's and 1980's that was the Company Car that was given to Managers and above.
We had our own of course, but suddenly there were two around the house along with the standard Mahindra as well.
But our own Amby held fantastic memories of picnics and going up fully laden with luggage to our boarding school to get dropped off etc. Probably the roomiest and most comfortable vehicle around in those days. Cannot imagine now, how we have carried 6-7 people and luggage in it!
The rose tinted sepia view of nostalgia!
Yes it had a few niggles, but what car didnt in those days?
We finally sold the old bus off in 1999 to some cab chap in Chikmagalur. A Mark 2 it was.
Lovely old thing. Just around 18 years ago come to think of it, it was still there at home!

Would be great indeed if Peugeot resurrects this old brand in a stylish 'retro chic' avatar with lots of modern trimmings.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 20:36   #44
BHPian

I hope the retain the comfort of Amby's back seat. Man, i still feel those seats are one of most comfortable ones.

If they can place the new version of Amby at a Ciaz/City segment... i am sure people would look out.
Old 14th February 2017, 23:32   #45

but Peugeot seems to be on a buying spree.

Quote:
General Motors (GM) is said to be in talks for the sale of its European operations, including the Opel and Vauxhall brands, to the PSA Group, the parent company of Citroën, DS and Peugeot, according to reports by Reuters and Deutsche Press Agency (DPA).
Source : http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...sa-404198.aspx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks