Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2017, 14:12   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hindustan Motors sells brand 'Ambassador' to Peugeot

Quite a positive news IMO. Positive or negative, brand Ambassador is still very prominent in the Indian context, and nostalgia packaged with quality can actually work. I will be very interested to see how this shape up in the future. Whatever is the case, it can't be any worse than the brand getting rotten in the hands of HM.
Old 19th February 2017, 04:05   #47
BHPian

Exciting times for our market. Peugeot under the leadership of Mr.Carlos Tavares is "walking the talk" in most of their core markets. Am very convinced that it will be a good entry in India this time.

But I wouldn't bet high on the fact that Peugeot will make an all new car or even a derivative to reflect the legacy design of Amby for India. It will be expensive to invest on new product and infrastructure at the same time especially considering the bleak initial numbers they will sell as they ramp up the dealerships. I guess Mr.Carlos from PSV will follow Mr.Carlos from Renault Nissan by launching premium existing models to gain a footing.

My bet is that PSV (Peugeot Citroen Group) might launch their sedan (508) as Ambassador in India along with their new SUV (5008). I have to say the current design language of Peugeots is nothing but stunning (Pics below). I am sure many of you will agree.

Hindustan Motors sells brand 'Ambassador' to Peugeot-Citroen-50082.png
Name:  5081.PNG
Views: 2611
Size:  404.6 KB

Since both are based on the same platform, available in RHD and also available in China makes these models a serious options for our market too. And as the dealerships come along and hopefully the Opel deal with GM, they could co-develop an A-entry hatch (wishful thinking) or the next generation 108 / Beat in our market in mind.

Or may be Peugeot is not planning a passenger car in India! With the growth in CV industry, esp the LCV segment, Peugeot could launch their commercial vans and call it Ambassador. With BS 4 regulation applied they can very comfortably use their Diesel expertise in that segment. This would also make sense for export than the passenger models. And the naming convention of models still hold. Peugeot calls its CV by names (Bipper, Expert..) and Passenger vehicles in numbers (108,508,5008..). This thought opens up comparison to what Nissan tried with the JV with Ashok Leyland for their Stile and Dost. If that was the case, lets hope Peugeot has better plans against THE TATA in the CV world.
Name:  expert.PNG
Views: 2162
Size:  445.6 KB

This isn't bad looking either.

Last edited by vivee90 : 19th February 2017 at 04:08.
Old 19th February 2017, 05:29   #48
BHPian

Peugeot partners extensively with Iran Khodro, so they possibly have an emerging markets strategy. Sounds sensible to me as the European market is growing far more slowly.

The car that the Ambassador reminds me of from a cultural perspective is the Austin FX4 - better known as the London Taxi, a car based on the underpinnings of the Morris Isis / Austin Westminster - the big brother of the Ambassadors own progenator the Morris Oxford.

Think of London, and the "black cab" is one of the first things that springs to mind. It has global recognition. When many of us foreigners think of India, one of the first things that comes to mind is the Ambassador. The FX4 had a very similar production history too. First introduced in 1958, it stayed in production until 1997, going through a gradual evolution and passing from its original designer to other manufacturers.

Where the Ambassador faltered and then died, the FX4 was replaced by a spiritual successor the TX1, which continued to evolve. The latest TX5 version is due out later this year and will be exported around the world. It is a full plug in hybrid capable of 70 miles on electric power alone, which is really important given the air quality concerns of London and other global cities.

Perhaps the Ambassador can also evolve down these lines as a city car designed with its passengers in mind, easy to get in and out of, instantly recognisable styling yet right up to the minute clean technology?

I've attached some pictures showing the FX4 > TX1 > TX5 evolution for inspiration!
Attached Thumbnails
Hindustan Motors sells brand 'Ambassador' to Peugeot-Citroen-1920px1962_austin_fx4_london_taxi.jpg  

Hindustan Motors sells brand 'Ambassador' to Peugeot-Citroen-tx2taxi.jpg  

Hindustan Motors sells brand 'Ambassador' to Peugeot-Citroen-tx5taxi1.jpg  

Rob UK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 11:42   #49
BHPian

I have this information from somebody who was once big in Hindustan Motors and he has sworn me to secrecy. Peugeot is jittery about India since their last encounter with the Indian car market with Premier. One of the options they are considering is launching themselves in India with the name Ambassador, avoiding the Peugeot name completely. This also because Peugeot believes that Indians may have a problem pronouncing Peugeot which is apparently something that they found out in their last innings.

So they are supposed to avoid the French name and launch as Ambassador motors. They will use the Chennai factory for manufacture and if their plan works out they may acquire the plant as well. Let me add here, that Peugeot has not frozen on this strategy but right now within the company this is the main thinking. It could change, though. They are pursuing three other strategies one of which involves using one of the platforms to suit the inside configuration of the Ambassador and the other two are too nascent to comment was what I was told. To me it makes sense, the Ambassador Motors part.
sadsack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 11:59   #50
BANNED

@sadsack; I am more or less in tune with you. We will figure sone way of pronouncing Peugeot, howsoever unmusical may it sound to frog ears. However, the brand has been battered is beyond doubt by Premier and the moped chaps (was it TVS?). So a fresh start is called for.
Old 19th February 2017, 14:03   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
... Peugeot believes that Indians may have a problem pronouncing Peugeot ...
I have a problem pronouncing Peugeot! I have no idea how the French say it. I guess most Brits say something like "purge-oh."

But then, I gather that most Germans would not immediately recognise "Bee-Em-Double-you" And as for us Brits: we can't/don't even pronounce the names of major mainland-European cities properly. Not even Paris!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 14:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack
This also because Peugeot believes that Indians may have a problem pronouncing Peugeot which is apparently something that they found out in their last innings.

I doubt that pronunciation was to blame for their debacle the last time. Indian mechanics have been working on 'peejo' engines for a long time. We have the pronunciation down pat.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 17:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

On pronunciation part, we have seen many strategies adopted by companies to make people aware. The best one is to display the name in Hindi in big size. Volkswagen, Legrand, Peugeot, Piaggio, etc. are few names come to mind.
Old 19th February 2017, 18:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
One of the options they are considering is launching themselves in India with the name Ambassador, avoiding the Peugeot name completely. This also because Peugeot believes that Indians may have a problem pronouncing Peugeot which is apparently something that they found out in their last innings.

So they are supposed to avoid the French name and launch as Ambassador motors.
As many have pointed out, the pronunciation "problem" is not a problem at all. Renault, Legrand and Bosch are almost household names as far as Kerala is considered - where I live. Things can't be very different in other parts of the country. People are happily mis-pronouncing Hyundai and Mitsubishi (as MISS-tu-bishi) for decades.

Based on what you've posted, it seems that PSA is following the path taken by Daimler Benz and Nissan who adopted a strategy of naming their India-spec products BharatBenz and Datsun respectively. Especially BharatBenz, which is a new brand altogether. A terrific brand name IMHO, a word-play of two very popular words. When you consider the recall factor, Ambassador can certainly match with Bharat and Benz. Good move!

OT: Just now noted that I am now a senior - BHPian. After a span of exactly 12 years, and visiting this mighty community almost every day....:-)

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 19th February 2017 at 18:26.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 18:56   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have a problem pronouncing Peugeot! I have no idea how the French say it. I guess most Brits say something like "purge-oh."

The French say it more like "pew-gshaux"

The Toyota MR-S was sold in Europe as the MR2. It didn't sell very well in France. The French for "2" is "deux", when put together with "MR" this sounds very like "merde" which is a swear word meaning poo... it didn't apparently didn't occur to Toyota that they should stick with MR-S in France!

I really hate the idea of modern Peugeot hatchbacks carrying the Ambassador name. It is such an icon it deserves better.
Rob UK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 21:21   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post

The car that the Ambassador reminds me of from a cultural perspective is the Austin FX4 - better known as the London Taxi, a car based on the underpinnings of the Morris Isis / Austin Westminster - the big brother of the Ambassadors own progenator the Morris Oxford.

.Where the Ambassador faltered and then died, the FX4 was replaced by a spiritual successor the TX1, which continued to evolve. The latest TX5 version is due out later this year and will be exported around the world. It is a full plug in hybrid capable of 70 miles on electric power alone, which is really important given the air quality concerns of London and other global cities.

Perhaps the Ambassador can also evolve down these lines as a city car designed with its passengers in mind, easy to get in and out of, instantly recognisable styling yet right up to the minute clean technology?

I like the comparo. I totally agree.
The amby is every bit as iconic as the London Taxi.
And yes, Peugeot should do this for Ambassador for sure.
If they just modernise it and retain the old look and body shell, as I ve said before and will say again, it can potentially address the 'retro chic' market brilliantly.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 22:11   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
... path taken by Daimler Benz and Nissan who adopted a strategy of naming their India-spec products BharatBenz and Datsun
When people here mention "Benz," it takes me a few moments to realise that they mean Mercedes!

By the way, and closer topic, is Ambassador pronounced the same all over India?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 22:52   #58
BHPian

The route taken by royal enfield might benefit Peugeot, a slight beautiful redesign retaining the key elements with a sturdy chassis, modern powerful trouble free engine, gearbox and suspension.

Bigger Wheels and wider tyres that are proportionate and should fill well within the wheel arches.

shut lines and panel gaps should be very consistent and best of the class.

paint job and chrome should ooze class.

Seats and creature comforts should have a classic touch with retro and vintage variants. captain seats for top end variants.

safety features like airbags, abs, etc.

if all these are incorporated, hope amby will take off as another RE.

The point is caching the brand value on traditional lines with most modern comforts, quality of product and After Sales service is paramount. its creating niche, creating a space for itself, creating the desire for people to own and buy a piece.
Old 21st February 2017, 17:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@sadsack; I am more or less in tune with you. We will figure sone way of pronouncing Peugeot, howsoever unmusical may it sound to frog ears. However, the brand has been battered is beyond doubt by Premier and the moped chaps (was it TVS?). So a fresh start is called for.
The Peugeot mopeds were battered by the bad marketing of a Mysore based company called Chamundi Mopeds. TVS was not involved with Peugeot at all.
Old 21st February 2017, 18:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
By the way, and closer topic, is Ambassador pronounced the same all over India?
I have heard 'um-bais-dur' / 'अम्बैसडर' or 'aem- bais-edor' / 'एम्बैसेडर' all my life, here in UP.

Most Viewed