Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2006, 01:15   #1
BHPian

Getting my E39 BMW from USA to India?

I am new to this community - Moderator, please move this thread to the right place, if not already. I currently live in US and want to make move back to my motherland. I would like bring back the car that I drive here.
Right off the back - Do you think it is "stupid" idea to think about moving a US car to India (all left side becomes right side etc, parts, US specs etc) I have only heard folks bringing cars from here to India!!
About the car - I drive the E39 530i (BMW) and has about 80,000 miles on it. You all know about bimmers and hence the reason why I would like to bring a much loved car around the world and that too a much acclaimed E39.
So another question - should this car with these many miles be moved here. I have no idea if I can find mechanics to fix these cars (maybe ...)

Any suggestions/advices etc are welcome. thanks
Old 26th October 2006, 08:23   #2
BMW
BHPian

Hi Master530i and welcome to Team BHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master530i
Right off the back - Do you think it is "stupid" idea to think about moving a US car to India (all left side becomes right side etc, parts, US specs etc) I have only heard folks bringing cars from here to India!!
Frankly speaking, I have hardly seen any left hand drives on the roads of Delhi. Don't know about the rest of the cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master530i
I have no idea if I can find mechanics to fix these cars (maybe ...)
This will depend on the city you move in. Incase it is Delhi, Bangalore or Mumbai you will have no problems in getting the car repaired.

These two links might be helpful to you:

http://www.navnitmotors.com/bmw/
http://www.kashyapenterprises.com/KashyapMotors.htm
Old 26th October 2006, 10:00   #3
BHPian

Unless you have really high diplomatic connections, it's pretty much impossible to get a LHD into India. Unless you manage to change it to a RHD before you get it here!

I remember seeing a similar thread about this same problem sometime back on the forum.

Use our infamouse search option to find it Master530i!

Godspeed,

Alok

Last edited by aah78 : 26th October 2006 at 18:17.
Old 26th October 2006, 10:27   #4
BMW
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
Unless you have really high diplomatic conditions, it's pretty much impossible to get a LHD into India.
Talking about diplomatic conditions, the cars owned by US embassy over here are RHD. Though there might be some exceptions.
Old 26th October 2006, 10:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

well i dont think the current law allows a person to drive a LHD car here in mumbai.

If u want to get it down to india you would have to pay taxes around 180% more so i guess it no use paying double unless ofcourse your richie rich...

80000 miles....i guess it time for the baby to retire man....bmw are sold here too dude....so just buy a brand new 5series once your here.
Old 26th October 2006, 12:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Its not a "stupid" idea ,its an impossible one. You cannot get a LHD like mentioned earlier, not to forget the numerous duty tax etc that u have to pay.
Besides 80,000miles is alot! If you are so incline on having only a "e39" 5 series then i am sure you will be able to find one if you look around, a used one would turn out cheaper than you importing it. The used e39 you buy here would also have lesser miles on it.
But my best advice to you would be to wait 6 months or so for the E60 5 series to be launched locally....if your budget permits,go for it... will be in the 40-50 lakh range i suppose.
Old 26th October 2006, 16:11   #7
BHPian

well i have seen lots of LHD in chanakyapuri in delhi, when i visited the embassy......
Old 26th October 2006, 17:02   #8
BHPian

you can get it to india but it wont be released from the container depot unless it is registered as an embassy car with some embassy. had an e46 in the us and faced the same issue ... i really miss that car
Old 26th October 2006, 17:11   #9
BHPian

also guys he wont have to pay 180% duty, i am assuming he has had the car for over 2 yrs in the US and is doing a transfer of residence and in that case
Old 26th October 2006, 17:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

subject has been discussed before, with a few links on the procedure if you can get a car into India. Pls do a search, and you should find the relevant threads.

But, like has been said already in this thread - it is difficult [read as almost impossible]. It is a painful process, if at all you can.
Old 26th October 2006, 18:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

Master530i, you can find more information in the following threads:there are multiple threads existing on the topic of importing an LHD used car from the USA to India. performing a Search will guide you to these links.

you're better off contacting the Indian Customs, WIAA and RTO for further information regarding this. also, contact your local India Consulate.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks