Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 03:54   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Wrangler V6 Petrol launched @ 56 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So if Car A is 40% car and 60% tax, and car B is 80% car and 20% tax, this means that if Car A and CarB cost the same, it means you get more car per car for Car B. You are buying taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post

BMW X3
USA - $42,000
India - 60 lakh ex showroom

Wrangler Sahara
$USA - 46,500 (with all the extras the Indian model gets)
India - 64 lakh ex showroom

How are their ratios any different related to price of the vehicle + tax?
Tanveer is correct. On CBU, manufacturers pay at least 60 % custom duties on the cheaper models like Wrangler whereas on CKD they pay 15-25% on the parts they import. GST remains similar.

It’s a fact that you can get a loaded X5 at a price lesser than a Rubicon here, don’t look at MRP of the Germans. It’s normal to get a Million Plus discount on most of their models.

It’s also true that most CBU models offers exclusivity, say if I have a budget of 70 lac, and I need something to stand out, Wrangler will be my choice irrespective of the price they sell elsewhere. But if someone finds BMW equal, there is no denying that he will get more car per car in an X5 over a Wrangler.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th March 2020 at 04:03.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 10:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Tanveer is correct. On CBU, manufacturers pay at least 60 % custom duties on the cheaper models like Wrangler whereas on CKD they pay 15-25% on the parts they import. GST remains similar.

It’s a fact that you can get a loaded X5 at a price lesser than a Rubicon here, don’t look at MRP of the Germans. It’s normal to get a Million Plus discount on most of their models.

It’s also true that most CBU models offers exclusivity, say if I have a budget of 70 lac, and I need something to stand out, Wrangler will be my choice irrespective of the price they sell elsewhere. But if someone finds BMW equal, there is no denying that he will get more car per car in an X5 over a Wrangler.
Wow I didn't realize you could get an X5/GLE etc around 70 - 80. In that case I would definitely agree that you're getting a lot more for that price. They're a whole segment above the Wrangler.

This also probably explains why the Macan is crazy expensive here when it would be similarly priced in other countries.
Old 5th March 2020, 13:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
Wow I didn't realize you could get an X5/GLE etc around 70 - 80. In that case I would definitely agree that you're getting a lot more for that price. They're a whole segment above the Wrangler.
Don't know if they're a segment above but what I do know is these can't match the raw butch appeal of the Jeep. Those are more urban SUV/crossover kind. Depends on what one likes. I, for one, like butch appeal of Wrangler, Jimny, Thar, LR Defender, Hummer etc.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks