Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 23:11   #1
BHPian

Jeep Wrangler V6 Petrol launched @ 56 lakhs

Quote:
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) today launched the petrol version of its popular SUV Jeep Wrangler Unlimited priced at Rs 56 lakh (ex-showroom, New Delhi).

This petrol version powered by a 3.6-litre V6 engine expands the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited range in India along with the 200 PS 2.8-litre (rpt) 2.8-litre TurboDiesel, which was already launched in August 2016, FCA India said in a statement.
The diesel Jeep Wrangler Unlimited was launched at a price of Rs 71.59 lakh.
Source
Highh5 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 00:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Jeep Wrangler V6 Petrol launched @ 56 lakhs

Diesel variant is 15.59L more than the petrol?

I was already shocked seeing this, but then the report said 'popular SUV'.

On a serious note, FCA should really be concentrating only on the Compass now - the make it or break it product for the Jeep brand. There is no hope for the Wrangler unless they can start local assembly.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 04:40   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Is this the V6 Pentastar Petrol engine?
Now that is indeed a super engine. Does duty in all the Wranglers running about in the UAE for example.
And yes, the Fiat Showroom chap on Inner Ring Road told me when I met them about 2 weeks ago, that the Petrol is likely anytime and will be 15 odd lacs cheaper than the Diesel. So his words did come true after all.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th February 2017 at 04:42.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 05:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is this the V6 Pentastar Petrol engine?
Now that is indeed a super engine. Does duty in all the Wranglers running about in the UAE for example.
And yes, the Fiat Showroom chap on Inner Ring Road told me when I met them about 2 weeks ago, that the Petrol is likely anytime and will be 15 odd lacs cheaper than the Diesel. So his words did come true after all.
I am sure it is the Pentastar. Perhaps one of the best 3.6 V6 NA engine in existence.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 06:30   #5
BHPian

I don't understand the Fiat strategy in India. Who's gonna buy these damn expensive things.

It reminds me an old joke, "the operation was successful, but the patient died".
Wildy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 14:00   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Wrangler V6 Petrol launched @ 56 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I don't understand the Fiat strategy in India. Who's gonna buy these damn expensive things.
At this price, it's more accessible to the rich. From being 'obscenely priced' (Wrangler Diesel), now it's merely 'overpriced'. Lets not forget that small luxury cars like the C-Class now cost 47 lakhs ex-showroom & an X1 has variants at 42 lakhs.

Yes, the Jeep is still overpriced and it's not going to be a hit, but we'll surely be seeing some more of these legends on the road.

I'm not big on petrol offroaders due to the lack of low-end torque. That said, BHPians in the posts above praise the engine, so I'll go by their word (haven't driven it myself).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 14:16   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now that is indeed a super engine
Quote:
Perhaps one of the best 3.6 V6 NA engine in existence.
Yes but with an old 5 Speed Gearbox. As mentioned on a different thread

V6 Petrol + 5 Speed Gearbox + Indian Traffic

Quote:
BHPians in the posts above praise the engine, so I'll go by their word
yes, the engine is great but overall handling and the way power comes is severely let down by chassis/ rigid axles and 5 gears. My son has a 2 Door Sahara, when I last drove on a highway, the ride was more like rowing a boat, it was a windy day

From personal experience, unlike other Petrol engines, you don't have to rev it too hard say if you are stuck in the snow. And it has amazing control/ brakes on a slippery surface at low to moderate speeds.

This will be a massive failure like Diesel. They should have planned this better, many will lose money - Manufacturer ( due to overheads and all that marketing expenses ) Dealers ( who invested in showrooms ) and Customer ( if at all there are)

In my opinion, Wrangler should have been positioned as a halo product - they could have launched Sahara 2 Door Soft Top in Diesel & priced about 45-50 Lac. Even if they would not have made money, at least they could have created an inspirational Jeep Brand which would have given them a premium in lower segment products they plan to launch a little later.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th February 2017 at 14:29.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hello, I took a test drive 2 days back. All I can say is Vow on all aspects. I would have signed the buying except for the pricing! 70 lacs on road is crazy. Told the consultant, for 55 lacs will buy whenever they come down. The V6 is just fantastic. It's a serious Toy for men, though I fall in the senior citizens category now unfortunately would love to own one.
Old 4th March 2020, 06:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Spotted the only Jeep Wrangler I have ever seen in the country owing to it’s uber high price tag:

Jeep Wrangler V6 Petrol launched @ 56 lakhs-9738329ef9a644fea60d2c5aff5bfdcc.jpeg
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 10:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

So they are not launching the 8 speed automatic with the 3.6 Pentastar?? This is seriously weird. Without the 8 speed auto the Petrol does not make sense. However I did not see details in the press release. 8 speed auto is the de facto transmission.

Secondly, this looks like an entry level trim and not the real capable rubicon trim. A Medium level wranger JL costs less than the 4runner in USA. By that logic, a value price for JL would be same as fortuner. However, they are pricing at at a premium which when translated to the western world would mean a mid level wrangler priced at Lexus GX 460 levels.

Yes, cars are more expensive in India. But the relative price should be similar for a product to have value.
So if car A and car B cost same in USA, but car A costs 2X in India and car B costs 4X it means you are paying much more to get the same capability.

That said, if they really wanted to go the "niche" route, they should have gone Rubicon. A regular wrangler is not really niche and won't sell much.
I do hope its the 8 speed automatic. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with that transmission for many thousand miles, and its a lovey engine and transmission combo.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 11:10   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
this looks like an entry level trim and not the real capable rubicon trim.

That said, if they really wanted to go the "niche" route, they should have gone Rubicon. A regular wrangler is not really niche and won't sell much.
I do hope its the 8 speed automatic.
They have heard you, have a look at this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4743710 (Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon launch in India (Feb / Mar 2020))
Old 4th March 2020, 11:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I though they might bring the Chrysler Pacifica (rebranded?) with the recent trend of MPV launches. Makes more sense than a V6 petrol Wrangler. Though I really like the Wrangler.

Also, how about an SUV based on the Ram 1500? They have really done well with the brand in the US.

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 4th March 2020 at 11:52.
Old 4th March 2020, 16:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
So they are not launching the 8 speed automatic with the 3.6 Pentastar?? This is seriously weird. Without the 8 speed auto the Petrol does not make sense. However I did not see details in the press release. 8 speed auto is the de facto transmission.

Secondly, this looks like an entry level trim and not the real capable rubicon trim. A Medium level wranger JL costs less than the 4runner in USA. By that logic, a value price for JL would be same as fortuner. However, they are pricing at at a premium which when translated to the western world would mean a mid level wrangler priced at Lexus GX 460 levels.

Yes, cars are more expensive in India. But the relative price should be similar for a product to have value.
So if car A and car B cost same in USA, but car A costs 2X in India and car B costs 4X it means you are paying much more to get the same capability.

I do hope its the 8 speed automatic. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with that transmission for many thousand miles, and its a lovey engine and transmission combo.
This thread and everything it is referring to is 3 years old and about the Wrangler JK. I have no idea why it was revived. Even the picture just posted is a Wrangler JK.

Also yes the relative price is the same. The Wrangler JL here costs about the same as an X3 or GLC. Which is true in the US as well.
Old 5th March 2020, 00:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
This thread and everything it is referring to is 3 years old and about the Wrangler JK. I have no idea why it was revived. Even the picture just posted is a Wrangler JK.

Also yes the relative price is the same. The Wrangler JL here costs about the same as an X3 or GLC. Which is true in the US as well.
Oh did not realize that. About price I still disagree. Any car which has a higher percentage of its price as tax as compared to a peer starts looking like bad value. So if Car A is 40% car and 60% tax, and car B is 80% car and 20% tax, this means that if Car A and CarB cost the same, it means you get more car per car for Car B.

That is why, I am not a fan of CBUs.. You are not buying features or luxury. You are buying taxes.
Old 5th March 2020, 02:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Oh did not realize that. About price I still disagree. Any car which has a higher percentage of its price as tax as compared to a peer starts looking like bad value. So if Car A is 40% car and 60% tax, and car B is 80% car and 20% tax, this means that if Car A and CarB cost the same, it means you get more car per car for Car B.

That is why, I am not a fan of CBUs.. You are not buying features or luxury. You are buying taxes.
I'm not sure I understand. The prices are equivalent in both countries.

BMW X3
USA - $42,000
India - 60 lakh ex showroom

Wrangler Sahara
$USA - 46,500 (with all the extras the Indian model gets)
India - 64 lakh ex showroom

How are their ratios any different related to price of the vehicle + tax?

I don't know what you meant by 'mid level Wrangler' in your comparision. You can go on Jeep USA's website and build a Wrangler to match the Indian Wrangler JL specs almost perfectly. The price comes out to $46,500 give or take. All of the German competitors at that ~$45,000 price are also selling for the the equivalent price in India (around 60 ex showroom, give or take)

The German rivals here might actually still be a little cheaper (mid 50s) in their prices because they are CKDs, while the Wrangler and a few others in this segment are CBUs. That doesn't mean they are priced at a premium for the sake of being premium. It might just be CBU vs CKD taxes making up the difference.

Last edited by suneel : 5th March 2020 at 02:50.

Most Viewed