Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2017, 19:09   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Hyderabad VW dealer is offering a January or February 2016 manufactured Jetta Comfortline Diesel Manual for 19.5L on road.

Original price was 21.7L.

2.2L discount seems to low for a discontinued more than year old car. Any ideas what a reasonable price should be?
3 Lakhs should be possible for you. I guess patience is key here until no one else is waiting in the wings for this car. You have an upper hand.
Old 25th April 2017, 22:21   #92

Hi all,

I'd originally posted this query in the New Old Car thread. Thanks to Foxbat for pointing me to a more specific thread.

A Volkswagen dealership in Delhi is offering me a November 2015 manufactured Jetta comfortline petrol at a discount of INR 4 lakh. They claim that its a display model and has not been used as a test vehicle or stored in the warehouse/open yard for long periods. The bodywork and interiors seems clean and no usual signs of moisture or rust under the floor mats, hard rubber, etc., kind of signs.

The odo reads 240 kms. When I enquired about the longer than usual run, they said it was driven down from outside the city because the carrier broke down midway.

The car having been discontinued, they didn't have a test vehicle available and weren't willing to let me drive the car. With the fear of losing out on the deal and in a moment of excitement, I booked the car with a 31k advance. They then agreed to let me drive the car and while everything else seemed great, there is a constant faint bumpiness in the ride even on extremely smooth flat roads - almost non noticeable if you aren't specifically looking for it. I assumed this was probably because of flat spotting and the dealership readily agreed to replace the old tyres with brand new ones. I will be going to take another test ride with the new set of tyres to see if that fixes the problem. Here is where I need some help:

1. Is it a good idea buying an 18 month old car - especially a car that has now been discontinued and will anyway fetch me extremely bad after-sales figures?

2. If yes, is the 4 lakh discount a good bargain or can I gun for more?

3. Any other specific inputs/things to see that I should be aware of will be very helpful.

Owning a Jetta has been a dream for me and I am left with only a few days to finalise the deal or walk away. Please help!

Many thanks!
Jatin
JatinV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 23:08   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatinV View Post
. They Here is where I need some help:

1. Is it a good idea buying an 18 month old car - especially a car that has now been discontinued and will anyway fetch me extremely bad after-sales figures?

2. If yes, is the 4 lakh discount a good bargain or can I gun for more?

3. Any other specific inputs/things to see that I should be aware of will be very helpful.

Owning a Jetta has been a dream for me and I am left with only a few days to finalise the deal or walk away. Please help!

Many thanks!
Jatin
Hi Jatin sir,
Being a Jetta owner, I will clear the doubts line by line.

1. Yes and no. Yes, if you are planning to keep the car for 5 years atleast or else I am afraid to say no especially since its a german petrol.

2. I guess 4 lakhs is a good deal. If there are more customers lined up for this car I would book it if I were you. If not, bargain more.

3. Ask them to change the tyres to Michelins or Pirellis if that is possible. Bargain for this one point. Goodyears are hopeless tyres when it comes to NVH in the longer term. Take a test drive again and see if you feel the bumpiness in the suspension that you felt before.

Just beware of the suspension. If that is fine then you are good to go. I have never heard any reliability issue with the 1.4 tsi or even the TDI for that matter. The car should serve you well in the longer term.

Keep the team BHP PDI checklist handy and check thoroughly. Do tell me if you have any more doubts

All the best and do keep us updated,
Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 25th April 2017 at 23:11.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 09:37   #94
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A Volkswagen dealership in Delhi is offering me a November 2015 manufactured Jetta comfortline petrol at a discount of INR 4 lakh.
No, no, no.

Firstly, the car is 1.5 years old! Give me a daily driven 1.5 year old car than one that's been in the possession of a dealer.

Second, the true Jetta experience is with the excellent diesel. I don't like the weak 1.4L petrol.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 12:02   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No, no, no.

Firstly, the car is 1.5 years old! Give me a daily driven 1.5 year old car than one that's been in the possession of a dealer.

Second, the true Jetta experience is with the excellent diesel. I don't like the weak 1.4L petrol.
Thanks GTO. Those are some very strong objections. Guess I'll have to wait for the dream to come true
Old 26th April 2017, 14:10   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No, no, no.
Thanks GTO for answering one of my queries. I was in the similar boat when the dealer offered good discount for a 1.5 year old Jetta comfortline manual diesel.
Old 26th April 2017, 14:27   #97
BHPian

In my eyes, The Mighty Jetta was perhaps THE BEST car you could buy in India. (Barring the German triad). It looked lovely, had good interiors, handled well, the DSG was a hoot to drive, and the Jetta Diesel left many a cars in its wake.

This one will be missed.
iceman7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 14:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO. Those are some very strong objections. Guess I'll have to wait for the dream to come true
Why dont you look at the Octavia instead. A more modern car, looks awesome (IMHO), current model so will not be discontinued anytime soon, has possibly greater brand equity than the Jetta (remember, the Octavia was the car that kick started the diesel premium sedan segment in India), is just as well built, is better equipped and comes with equally woeful after sales service
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 16:06   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Why dont you look at the Octavia instead.
Octavia diesel and 1.4 TSI petrol does not come with multi-link suspension which is standard across Jetta variant.
sups is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 16:48   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Why dont you look at the Octavia instead. A more modern car, looks awesome (IMHO), current model so will not be discontinued anytime soon, has possibly greater brand equity than the Jetta (remember, the Octavia was the car that kick started the diesel premium sedan segment in India), is just as well built, is better equipped and comes with equally woeful after sales service
I agree with you Himanshu - the Octavia is a great car that ticks almost all the boxes. That said, there is an element of desirability in the Jetta that doesn't feature on any equipment list That, and the 5 odd lakh extra that I'll have to shell out for the Skoda given the massive discount on offer on the Jetta.
JatinV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 08:40   #101
BHPian

We are evaluating a D segment Sedan and I was able to inquire about the Jetta on the VW website and the query went through. How come the website still carries the Jetta if its been discontinued?
Old 17th August 2017, 13:32   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
We are evaluating a D segment Sedan and I was able to inquire about the Jetta on the VW website and the query went through. How come the website still carries the Jetta if its been discontinued?
I did the same. Requested for test drive and got no response for more than a month now!

Prem.
Old 17th August 2017, 13:53   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I did the same. Requested for test drive and got no response for more than a month now!
Unless you are looking at owning a 2015 or 2016 VIN Jetta, which some dealers might still have stock. I wouldn't bother much.

You might as well look at Jettas in the used market. Would be a lot better proposition (in terms of condition and price) than one lying in the dealer's stockyard for a year.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 02:23   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Octavia diesel and 1.4 TSI petrol does not come with multi-link suspension which is standard across Jetta variant.
Jetta owners, can you confirm that the ride is definitely different between the two? I'd believe the multi-link would be superior but you'd have to drive the car really hard to get that advantage. No?

For regular driving, is there that much of a difference between the two setups to not choose the diesel?
Old 18th August 2017, 08:34   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Jetta owners, can you confirm that the ride is definitely different between the two? I'd believe the multi-link would be superior but you'd have to drive the car really hard to get that advantage. No?

For regular driving, is there that much of a difference between the two setups to not choose the diesel?
Octavia is the car whose 1.8 TSI version gets multi-link suspension and the rest do not get it. Quoting from the official review of Octavia:

Quote:
With the MQB platform, Skoda has taken a different approach to the suspension setups. The 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI get a torsion beam at the rear, whereas the 1.8 TSI has a superior multi-link suspension (similar to the Laura and Jetta). I can only attribute this decision to cost cutting, as there is no other reason to have 2 different setups on the same car. Considering that the Octavia is a premium product, it is plain ridiculous.

Ride quality of the diesel and 1.4L petrol is compliant and the suspension will soak up most bumps with ease. At expressway speeds, the cars feels solid and tight, as is typical of the Europeans. Straight line stability is excellent. You never realise the speeds you’re doing until you look down at the speedometer. The ride is flat and the Octavia doesn’t bounce around over undulations like some Japanese & Korean cars. However, the torsion beam setup feels stiffer, and sharp edges do filter through. It isn't the quietest when doing its work either. You can hear the suspension movement over bad roads, with a slight drumming sound (from the back) over uneven patches.

Both suspension systems will do the job just fine and the regular buyer won’t realise what he’s missing out on. That said, when an enthusiast drives both configurations back to back, the difference is clearly felt, especially when pushing the car on imperfect roads. Drive the Octavia through fast corners and you realise which suspension works better. The torsion beam Octavias feel nervous & skittish at the rear on uneven tarmac. A mid-corner bump unsettles the rear, and it might step out when driven too hard. Sometimes, you get the feeling that the rear isn't tightly connected to the front. To us enthusiasts, this could be the deciding factor when cross-shopping between the Octavia and Jetta diesels.

No such problems with the 1.8L TSI. The multi-link displays its superiority not only in handling, but also in ride quality. The Octavia 1.8 takes the worst of roads in its stride and never feels unsettled. The suspension is also far more silent. You feel confident going into a corner at high speeds, due to its surefooted and predictable nature. Because the multi-link feels softer, there is marginal body roll on the limit. Sitting on the rear seat, I was impressed with how absorbent the multi-link suspension is over bad roads. It soaks up all rough sections without any complaint.

Most Viewed