Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2017, 13:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Nano, Sumo, Indigo eCS & Indica to be phased out in 3-4 years

My first reaction on reading thread title was - What? Three years? That is too long. I even checked the date to make sure that it isn't a thread started a couple of years ago.

Indica and Indigo need to go NOW. They have been really long in the tooth even for taxi market. I hate it when I get an Indica or Indigo as an Uber/Ola cab. Zest and Bolt are already serving taxi market, that should be continued in base trims.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 13:47   #47
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Although we've owned two Indicas in the past (a diesel, then replaced by a petrol), I'm quite happy to see these old workhorses (Indica, Indigo & Sumo) finally retire. Tata should look to the future, and not dwell in their past.

I'm quite saddened to see the Nano join them, though. It's a pity that Tata could not turn Ratan Tata's brilliant idea into a commercial success. I still think the Nano platform holds great potential as the base for an e-Nano!

Since Tata have a long history of creating new segments & sub-segments, here is an idea for a new segment - a small 5-seater MPV based on the X1 (Bolt/Zest/Nexon) platform. This is a segment that is not present in India, but small, tall ~ 4m long 5-seater MPVs are quite popular in Europe & South-East Asia. The Jazz comes closest to being a small 5-seater MPV in India, but it's a large 4m hatchback in the end.

I'm talking of vehicles like the Kia Venga / Hyundai ix25:

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-images-2.jpg

Or the Toyota Verso S:

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-images-3.jpg

Or even the Changan EuLove:

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-images-1.jpg

Such a spacious ~ 4m long compact 5-seater MPV can easily be built on the X1 platform, and would be an excellent complement to their upcoming Nexon compact SUV.

Last edited by RSR : 6th April 2017 at 13:54.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 16:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Such a spacious ~ 4m long compact 5-seater MPV can easily be built on the X1 platform, and would be an excellent complement to their upcoming Nexon compact SUV.
I think Tata would do well to make their X351 hatchback spacious than build an MPV-like model. I guess the MPV body type is losing favour with crossovers taking over all segments. Companies in India have shelved MPV plans, Ford was to use the Fiesta platform to make a sort of long wheelbase B-Max (which even globally hasn't sold), Chevy canned the Spin, Nissan didn't bring the Note here (despite it being on the initial plan) and so on.

Even crossovers are being made to look like SUVs, the Lodgy Stepway is one example. If you see the Ertiga in Indonesia, there is a cross variant of it, while the Spin has the 'Activ' variant which was on test here. Globally MPVs like the Peugeot 3008, Ford Fusion (replaced by the EcoSport), Renault Espace, Renault Modus (replaced by the Captur) and the Toyota Verso (replaced by the C-HR) have all gone the crossovers routes.
Old 6th April 2017, 19:23   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
The reason behind this is Crysta sells in huge numbers and mostly used by the tour operators. Hence you see more Crystas on the road everyday. However Hexa is a new product and mostly used for the private purpose. Hence you dont see it on the road everyday.
That is exactly why Tata has to perk up production and deliver Hexa as early as possible. When the product is seen in the market in good numbers soon after launch, it gives me a good feel about the product. To me, it says the market has confidence in the product and is willing to bite. It is more than two months since Hexa launch and the only Hexa in my town is the TD car in the showroom, which too arrived just two weeks ago.

Whereas the Crysta was seen in customer's hands just within days of launch. In fact, if I remember correctly, the launch at the local dealer itself began with handing over keys to a few buyers.

It is not only Tata, even Ford screwed up the Ecosport launch similarly.

The March car sales thread says, Hexa moved 940 copies. That is not a good number. I am sure there are enough bookings, it is just that Tata is not able to ramp up production.

Hopefully, the phasing out of all those old models will free up space for new ones and Tata can plan its launches better.
Old 6th April 2017, 22:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

as an indica owner, I am very happy they'll let it live until its old enough to vote!
thankfully parts will be around for it for a long time!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 05:21   #51
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo to be discontinued

Tata Nano had a few shortcomings. It was underpowered. The rear engine arrangement didn't go well with a lot of Indian customers who are often a peculiar mix of ignorant and conservative. But the worst was the image of the Nano as a 'cheap people's car'. This effectively lead many customers in its price range to avoid it and thereby the stigma of being a 'cheap buyer'. Inspite of Tata adding several enhancements to the car like power steering, excellent air conditioning and later an AMT as well as an openable hatch, the Nano couldn't get out of its initial image. In many ways the tall design, the low turning radius with the advantages of good power steering/air-conditioning/fuel efficiency this was an ideal candidate for the congested and narrow Indian roads.
One can only hope that the Tatas conjure up a completely new car with but with the same tall chassis and single box shape but with new branding, powerful engine and additional safety features. Perhaps a plug-in hybrid would be the way to go

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2017 at 11:41. Reason: No more than 2 smileys / post please
Old 7th April 2017, 10:24   #52
BHPian

Even if a call is taken to discontinue the Indica and Indigo, hoping that Tata's should consider retaining their homegrown CR4 engine, and put them to use in another, perhaps, cheaper derivative models for the Taxi segment. Owning an eCS with a CR4 engine for over 3.5 years now, can vouch for this engine being trouble-free and fuel-efficient in operation, which is what the taxi operators primarily look for in a vehicle put to commercial use.
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:58   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

The tale of the Tata Nano, in this infographic by ET Auto.

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-nano.jpg

A car which could have been a strong seller, but now tapering out into the end of it's life cycle.
Old 8th July 2017, 10:53   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems like the Nano won't be seeing any upgrades to comply with the BS-VI emission norms come April 2020. Even the crash test worthiness upgrade of the Nano (mandatory for all cars from 2019) which might take the prices of the car further up, might not be done.

The only option left for Tata Motors would be to phase out the little warrior.

Quote:
It could be exported to countries with different emission standards. Tata Motors exported 595 Nanos in fiscal year 2016-17; during April and May 2017-2018, only 50 cars have been exported so far.

Sources, however, pointed out Tata Motors, which was focusing on its latest cars, the Tiago hatchback and the Tigor sedan, was unlikely to make further investments in the Nano platform. The new emission and safety norms are likely to increase car prices by Rs 1 lakh, which will make what was touted as the world’s cheapest car less attractive to potential buyers.

As of now, suppliers have not been asked to ready for BS-VI compliant components for Nano. “We have not heard from Tata Motors on developing BS-VI compliant components for the Nano,” a Sanand-based vendor of Tata Motors said. Dealers, too, indicated Tata Motors’ focus was on its newer cars and the automobile maker had not shared plans for revival of the Nano brand or launch of the face-lifted versions.
Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-14994597353877.jpg

Business Standard
Old 8th July 2017, 22:07   #55
BHPian

This has been said on the forum earlier too, the GenX Nano is how the Nano should have been launched like. The cheap car image would not have existed had it been loaded with those features to begin with.

Frugal engineering is all good until it starts looking somewhat absurd. No openable boot, 35 BHP engine, no power steering, just seat-belts in the name of safety equipment and a structure so weak that won't survive a 40 kmph head-on collision.

We have a Nano in the family that is being used a beater car for running small daily errands and it serves that role well. It averages 13-14 kmpl in bumper-to-bumper Dehradun traffic. New Baleno petrol gets more than that. How long can Tata keep selling what is essentially just good as a beater car? The volume is just not there to justify any further R&D.

I'm no fan of the product even though we technically bought it. And I suggested selling it but my dad loves the tiny footprint of the car, and we got quotes of like 70k for a 2 year old vehicle that cost around 2.3L on road. Stuck with it until it gets scrapped.
Old 10th July 2017, 01:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

I was poking around for spare parts when i came up with these on an ecommerce site .
Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-indigo-cs-headlight3.jpg

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-indigo-cs-headlight2.jpg

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-indigo-cs-headlight.jpg
Given that there seem to be changes to the shape of the headlight, mostly to the bumper, it seems that a facelift for the indigo cs is there in some shape inside tata motors. But the question is, will they launch it ?

I hope so! the HLA looks quite handsome - i need to change mine and my bumper - this would be a nice addition!

Edit: seems the tbhp watermark is blocking the DRL part that's been added on - its a bit more visible in the third image

Last edited by greenhorn : 10th July 2017 at 01:41.
Old 10th July 2017, 11:38   #57
BHPian

While the rumor still remains, the DICOR seems to have been taken off the website. At present only the Storme, Hexa, Aria and Sumo Gold feature on the TM website. Not sure if its a glitch or an intended removal
Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-untitled.jpg

Last edited by centaur : 10th July 2017 at 11:41.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 14:21   #58
BANNED

Tata Nano Sales To Continue In Spite Of No Demand

"Tata Nano Sales To Continue In Spite Of No Demand" - https://www.motorbeam.com/tata-nano-...ite-no-demand/

The above was in the mail in-box this morning. For me this bit of news was heartening - even tho' it may turn out to be a will-o'-the-wisp.

Like others on the forum I too have been rooting for the Nano - despite it being a non-starter in the market, at least in its present incarnation.
shashanka is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 14:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Sales To Continue In Spite Of No Demand

200 odd sales monthly, for the cheapest car in World!

It is not hard to understand why it is languishing on the sales chart. Buyers today (including the youth), prefer to plonk down 1.5 lakh on RE 350, rather than the Nano.

Clearly, it is need to be re-invented, re-launched and re-positioned.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 17:57   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Sales To Continue In Spite Of No Demand

I don't know how (considering the sales figures) but I see more NANO Twists daily than I see private plate Vistas. How is this car not selling? Or all the customers travel to office with me daily?

The car is excellent. The market isn't for it. In India we don't buy a large car and a small city run-about. Here even if we buy a single small car like Alto, we want it to be capable of those once an year excursions to nearby places. Anything below the Alto800 in power makes that a bit tough to digest. Thats what the NANO's problem is.

It can be the best 2nd car. There aren't too many who wan't a 2nd car to move about in the city.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks