Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2017, 10:20   #31
BANNED

Re: Rumour: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo to be discontinued

Very much the right move. Indica and Indigo were becoming dinosaurs with better modern cars to be found. As for the Nano Mamata effectively killed it by her tactics. I hear that she wanted some blackmail booty which Ratan Tata refused.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 18:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Tata Nano, Sumo, Indigo eCS & Indica to be phased out in 3-4 years

Tata Motors is rumoured to be planning to discontinue at least 4 models from its current portfolio over the next 3-4 years. This step will be a part of the automaker's aim to limit the number of platforms being used across its passenger vehicle line-up. Tata had earlier announced that it will be reducing the number of platforms used in its cars from the current count of 6 to just 2, by the year 2020-21.

While the manufacturer hasn't put out an official statement about the same yet, Tata Motors' marketing head, Vivek Srivatsa has claimed that the company will be introducing at least four new cars by 2020. However, these new introductions won't increase the overall number of cars in the company's portfolio as it will be discontinuing existing products in its line-up, to make way for the new entrants.

The four models that are expected to be phased out in the coming years include the Nano, Sumo, Indigo eCS and Indica. The Nano has recently been in the news after Tata Sons' ousted Chairman, Cyrus Mistry, claimed that it was resulting in huge losses for the car maker and the project was just been dragged along owing to emotional reasons. According to reports, the senior management at Tata now seems to have acknowledged the fact that it will be difficult to resurrect the Nano brand again.

Meanwhile, the Sumo has become an aged vehicle. It was one of the first products launched by Tata Motors in the Indian passenger car market and has been on sale for the past 23 years without any comprehensive changes. Tata has already stopped production of the Sumo Grande. On the other side of the spectrum, the Indica and Indigo eCS have now become redundant, owing to the introduction of the Tiago and Tigor siblings.

Source: Times of India
dZired is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 19:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Nano, Sumo, Indigo eCS & Indica to be phased out in 3-4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
The four models that are expected to be phased out in the coming years include the Nano, Sumo, Indigo eCS and Indica.
Phasing out of Nano is expected.Cabbies also seem to be running away from Indica/Indigo twins, and sooner or later they will face the axe.

Sumo however was extremely popular brand in 1990's, until Bolero and Qualis took away its market. Bolero went from strength to strength, in spite of being cramped and not that comfortable. SUMO went downhill and all its sales were associated with Taxi market mostly.

Seems like TATA motors does not want to be associated with those names anymore.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 21:08   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

even if not the Sumo, definitely the Sumo Grande, Indigo eCS and Indica can be buried right away. Sumo is very maneuverable, and can be useful in today's congested city roads. Indica & Indigo eCS should have been phased out long ago - but at least now with the Tiago / Tigor now out on the roads. Nano has not taken off, and can be pushed into history, and make way for better use of manufacturing infra for newer, better models.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 21:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Nano was a disaster, Sumo is showing its age. But I am surprised by the decision to Discontinue Indica & Indigo eCS. They both are good sellers even now.

In fact, I see more Indica's then the comparatively more Modern 'Bolt', Both as Private & Cabs.

They have Tiago which is based on same platform as Indica, but the former is way more modern & trendy. Same with Tigor. Tata needs to make sure that Bolt & Zest are only for Cabbies (Going By Sales Numbers), if they are indeed halting sales of Indica & Indigo eCS. Thier replacement should be a Premium Hatch & a >4m Sedan.

I know they are developing, but at the same time, the premiumness should also be felt. They should match other's in this aspect. Tata already makes cars that are spacious, ride well, handle abuse, driver friendly and so on. But what private buyers desire for, like Premium Interiors, Good Quality Rattle Free Plastics, Good Driving Dynamics, Silent Cabin etc haven't been concentrated on. I hope Tata realises this big thing, and develops products accordingly.
CarguyNish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 23:46   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a few days ago, I saw a brand new Indica with a temporary number plate. I could know that the car is still being sold.

I was told by an insider that for Tata Motors, the gestation period to take a major decision in their company is quite long. The fault may be with their somewhat bureaucratic set-up.

We must look at Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL) as a role model for introspection and for inspiration too. Just can count how many car models they have consigned to history, eversince their first major decision to phase out the Zen in 2006 and the Esteem nearly a decade ago (2007), followed by the Baleno, 800 (2012),Zen Estilo, A Star, SX 4 and Ritz (many slow moving models too like the Maruti 1000, Vitara, Kizashi and others too). Their portfolio always got refreshed with contemporary models that sold well and anything that does not sell or slows down in the market, faces the MSIL management's guillotine. With such a strategy and with the introduction of cars slotted in their proper niches where there is a good demand, they have emerged as the top car maker. To add to their credit are the reliable products, good after sales service, their networks and extensively available, affordable spares.

Tata Motors still has a lot to learn and they must let the head rule the heart and not the vice-versa. The Nano is a commercial failure and no emotions need to be attached. It must be simply, immediately discontinued. The same applies to the Indica, Indigo CS and the Sumo. These have had the best of their times and three to four years to phase them out is too long a period, which Tata Motors have talked about (if true). Even employees are given a three month notice and then dismissed or retired.

Tata needs to have a good portfolio for the private ownership segment and also for the taxi segment. The Tiago and the Tigor are good examples of their recent synergy and proactive approach. These are essentially for private buyers. They have done too little to have good, rugged and contemporary replacements of the Indigo CS, Indica and the Sumo for the taxi segment. The vacuum is being filled by other car makers here and they are losing out.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th April 2017 at 23:49.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 10:01   #37
BHPian

I guess with Tiago and Hexa doing good and Tigor coming up, Tata desperately needs place on their assembly lines. Companies need to learn from Toyota to plan their launch logistics. Within days of launch, brand new Crystas were seen on the road even in my town. Hexa still has not come to the streets even two months after launch here.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2017 at 10:52. Reason: Typo
Deep Blue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 10:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I guess with Tiago and Hexa doing good and Tigor coming up, Tata desperately needs place on their assembly lines. Companies need to learn from Toyota to plan their launch logistics. Within days of launch, brand new Crystas were seen on the road even in my town. Hexa still has not come to the streets even two months after launch here.
The reason behind this is Crysta sells in huge numbers and mostly used by the tour operators. Hence you see more Crystas on the road everyday. However Hexa is a new product and mostly used for the private purpose. Hence you dont see it on the road everyday.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2017 at 10:53. Reason: Typos
tushky is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 6th April 2017, 10:19   #39
Team-BHP Support

I believe 3-4 years is still too long.

Given the commitment Tata has shown to moving forward (through Tiago and Hexa), the baggage of the Indica will bog them down.

Tiago, Bolt and Zest on one side and Indica and Indigo eCS makes for a VERY confusing portfolio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Nano was a disaster, Sumo is showing its age. But I am surprised by the decision to Discontinue Indica & Indigo eCS. They both are good sellers even now.
True; but how long should they keep them going?!

Since the Indica was launched a decade and more ago, it doesn't "seem" to have evolved; just better headlamps perhaps.

When almost every manufacturer follows an eight year cycle for an "all new" generation of a vehicle, we see most of Tata's products as-they-were.

Pull the plug and completely move on, I say.
libranof1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 11:19   #40
BHPian

Except Sumo all the above mentioned cars can/ should be discontinued. I think sumo still has something to offer as a brand and a reinvention ala Storme/ Hexa might have many takers.

I don't see a like for like product in their lineup that can replace Sumo.

I guess Tata will fit the Nexon in the space where Sumo operates, while the price point might be similar the utility that a Sumo provides is lost.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 11:23   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I believe 3-4 years is still too long.

Given the commitment Tata has shown to moving forward (through Tiago and Hexa), the baggage of the Indica will bog them down.

Tiago, Bolt and Zest on one side and Indica and Indigo eCS makes for a VERY confusing portfolio!

True; but how long should they keep them going?!

Since the Indica was launched a decade and more ago, it doesn't "seem" to have evolved; just better headlamps perhaps.

When almost every manufacturer follows an eight year cycle for an "all new" generation of a vehicle, we see most of Tata's products as-they-were.

Pull the plug and completely move on, I say.
Completely agree! Indica/Indigo are more of a liability than an asset. For the past many years the only Indicas seen on roads are crappy, beat up taxis. Nobody wants to buy cars from a manufacturer known for making crappy taxis. Its high time they trimmed down the menu.

A colleague was recently in the market for a small hatchback. I suggested Tiago. He took a look at the Tata motors website and this is how he described the list:
Indica, New Indica, Indica with dicky, New Indica with dicky, Tiny Indica and Tiago. Had a hard time convincing him to pick the Tiago over Celerio. He nearly dropped Tiago just because of the Tata logo.

Either go the Nexa way and separate Tiago, Tigor, and Hexa or get rid of the other crap.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 11:28   #42
BHPian

Huh, TATA's have decided finally towards withdrawing their age old products, which only helps them re-badge as an emerging brand in the contemporary market.

The Indica/Indigo range was neither technologically superior nor was considered reliable, even during the days when they enjoyed peak demand. They were mainly consumed in the Taxi market where low initial cost, high space and plush ride were the priorities. If I remember rightly, the Indica, when launched in 1998, had as much as 3000 weld points (often considered as weak areas) whilst the Indigo had 500 more. The questionable build coupled with lousy engines and transmission gave these cars a "frequent visitor” card to the Garages. A Tata Car standing on road side with open bonnet is a common sight even on this day.

The Nano was a different story altogether. The manner in which TATA’s projected the Nano as a dust cheap Rs 1 lakh car (as though it was sold for Rs 1/-), also reserved the public perception towards the car. The Nano, in any way was not Rs 1 lakh car, as the final cost of purchase (Ex-showroom + Registration + Taxes + Insurance) stood very close to the Alto/ M800 territory which did not carry the “Cheap Car” tag. The image conscious buyer made sure to stand off from the Nano and headed towards the nearest Maruti showroom. I was informed that (though I am not very sure), at the initial launch, TATA’s took the bookings for Nano after receiving a non-refundable sum of Rs. 3000 and allotted vehicles on Lottery basis as though the car was distributed free of cost. This for sure (apart from the standard issues of reliability, questionable quality and dicey after sales service that are usually associated with TATA passenger cars) must have created an air of negativity in the minds of the consumer.

As an ex-owner of a TATA car, I can say that the Indica/ Indigo cars are very comfortable and have a very plush ride. The customer experience would have enhanced if only the quality of materials was right and the car was made reliable and even helped them command a good aspiration value as well.

My only grouse is why wait for 3-4 years to withdraw these ones, do it right now.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 12:37   #43
BHPian

Yes, it will be a good decision if Tata plans to phase out Nano and Indica.

Fleet sales (Indica, Indigo eCS) were responsible for 50% of Tata's sales. With new models picking up sales, they have managed to bring it to 30%, and plan to get it further down to 20%. In my opinion, Indica should retire. Indigo eCS should get a major facelift, and continue to sell as the cheapest eCS in the market for fleet operators, along with Bolt and Zest.

Sumo shouldn't retire at all. It deserves an Aria to Hexa like facelift. If not, Tata should at least keep the brand name alive.

Nano never picked up in sales, but that's not the reason to discontinue the little wonder. Few reports have suggested that by 2020 all cars will have to pass stringent crash tests (mandatory). Current gen Nano will fail miserably. Hence will be phased out. I think I will wait for the last piece of XTA (in 2020), if offered at heavy discounts.
Old 6th April 2017, 12:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Tata needs to bring all new Sumo now. Its a very famous name in Indian market and holds some brand value to it. Some people i know have all praise for Sumo for its durability and low maintenance. Also it is comfortable than Bolero.

New Sumo, if designed rightly can bring good days to Tata again in passenger segment. Its a hot segment and there is always constant demand for it. With right vehicle, Tata can easily sale 3-4 K Sumo's in India. Bring it on Tata.
Old 6th April 2017, 13:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

My thoughts on how TATA should deal with the mentioned models:

Nano - retire the brand entirely. Strengthen the shell to pass BNVSAP. Launch a new model based on the Pixel concepts as a hip urban car.

Indica - should be gracefully retired. No frills Bolt base model should take it's place.

Indigo - should be gracefully retired. No frills Zest base model should take it's place.

Sumo - Retain the brand. It's got an immense brand recall. Strengthen the shell to pass BNVSAP. Update inside and outside thoroughly. Maybe launch a 4x4 (they already do it for the army) for the enthusiasts.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed