Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 10:11   #91
BANNED

Re: Rumour: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo to be discontinued

Yes,Tata Motors Dealers’ Have Stopped Placing Order For World’s Cheapest Car Nano.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tata-...054828823.html
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:12   #92
Team-BHP Support

Finally!

This should have come much sooner but glad it has eventually. Tata needed to shed off this baggage in light of the tremendous improvement process it has embarked on since the last few years.

Quote:
Tata Motors has stopped production of its once popular compact car Indica and Indigo CS sedan since the demand for these products plummeted over the past two years.

The capacity will now be used to manufacture the recently launched and upcoming products of the company.
https://www.livemint.com/Industry/hO...Indigo-CS.html
libranof1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:16   #93
BHPian

TATA Motors stops production of Indica and Indigo Models.

A Tata Motors dealer said,
Quote:
“The company has stopped the production of both the cars and it is now supplying the last few cars.”
Tata Motors spokesperson confirmed the development.
Quote:
“With the changing market dynamics and the evolution of Tata Motors design language towards impactful design, we have decided to phase out the Indica and the Indigo eCS, a common phenomenon in a product lifecycle,”

“Launched in 1998, for the past 2 decades, the Tata Indica – India’s first, fully indigenous passenger car – has been the frontrunner of Tata Motors’ PV line-up. Establishing itself as a ‘coming of age car’ for India, the Indica has been a much loved and admired brand. The Indica was followed by the Indigo launch in 2002. The Indigo too was received well in the PV market and has been much appreciated for its compact design and spacious interiors,”

“We will continue to serve our extended family of Indica and Indigo customers by providing them the necessary service support,”
Link
Flyer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:44   #94
Senior - BHPian

A news which might not be relevant in today's times, but I still remember as a kid when the first 'Indian' car (not exactly) was launched and we used to admire her, probably more than a Mercedes going down the road. My friend's dad bought her by selling his Zen just because he wanted to get that 'I own an Indian' car feel. The sheer space it had compared to the Maruti Zen which was her immediate competitor and the general 'feel good' factor, be it the different interiors, the airiness of the cabin and the high dashboard was something that a common man had not experienced so far.

I also remember sitting in the first generation Indigo of my dad's colleague. It was even more spacious. Of-course, I wasn't aware of the NVH, ride and handling and power aspects then, but it was a nice feeling inside.

I dont think I will miss these cars today, but in their time, they were certainly good as a 'product' if you look at them objectively. Thanks Tata !
NiInJa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 13:23   #95
BHPian

Being a Nano owner, Glad to see that Nano doesn't make it to this news for now at least.
Still have some gut feeling that TML will give it one last shot - may it be in form of an electric version or a Pelican one.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 14:08   #96
Senior - BHPian

Good decision. It was long overdue I would say. The Indica & indigo were complete misfits in Tata’s new range of revamped cars starting from Zest onwards. They were too outdated to be even sold as Taxis. This move will help keep the portfolio reasonably fresh by cutting out the flab. Tata is no Maruti to be able to sell several iterations of same model side by side!
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 14:59   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Being a Nano owner, Glad to see that Nano doesn't make it to this news for now at least.
Still have some gut feeling that TML will give it one last shot - may it be in form of an electric version or a Pelican one.
I think the dealers have already stopped taking any booking for Nano already. There was a link on this very thread if my memory serves me right.

I too owns Nano XTA and love it to the core and would surely like TATA to give it one more chance with a slightly bigger engine, standard safety features along with Disk brakes.

However, I don't think that would happen ever. Even if we get a an electric version of the Nano, I am not sure if I would want to put my money on it.

Given the pace with which TATA has come ahead, I personally feel, emotions aside, TATA should pull curtains on the NANO.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 17:17   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Related news article today: https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...a-car/1177732/

Quote:
It's official now! Tata Motors has ceased the production of its Tata Indica and Tata Indigo cars in India. Starting this financial year 2018-19, Tata Motors has not manufactured a single unit of its Indica hatch and Indigo sedan confirms data provided by SIAM. The company has tasted new success with its IMPACT design cars and old styling on the Indica and Indigo resulted in lower sales and this move was expected sooner or later. During the recently concluded the financial year 2017-18, Tata Motors had manufactured 1,686 units of Indica and 556 units of its Indigo CS sedan. Gradually the company has now completely stopped the production of the said cars.

Tata Motors company spokesperson said, "With the changing market dynamics and the evolution of Tata Motors design language towards impactful design, we have decided to phase out the Indica and the Indigo eCS, a common phenomenon in a product lifecycle."

In many ways, Tata Indica has been an iconic car for Tata in India. Ever since it was first showcased at 1998 Geneva Motor Show the hatchback was an aspirational buy for people who were upgrading from small cars to hatchbacks. Tata Indica is also India's first fully indigenous car and ever since its launch has been the frontrunner in company's product line-up. Tata Indica became famous with some very interesting integrated marketing campaigns and was introduced with the tagline "More car per car," the ad campaign focused on roomy interiors and affordability. Tata Indica became popular right from the word go and received over 1.15 lakh bookings in just one week of the launch and became the segment leader in just two years. Tata Indica's success gave the company confidence to launch the all-new Indica in its second generation in 2008 and was named as Indica Vista.

Interestingly, the company had showcased an electric version of its Indica Vista sedan way back in 2011 but never made it to production.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 18:27   #99
BHPian

Oh man I feel sad that Indica is being discontinued but like every good thing this should also come to an end. I just want to share my Indica experience. Our family had got this car in 2001 till 2011and it had run for more than 2,10, 000 kms, it was maintained by our mechanic and it was on stock clutch, stock AC refrigerant and stock what not on the day it was sold and it was the most comfortable car till date, even today I miss our Indica and it was really sad to sell it for a paltry sum because our usage at that time was only for single car after this car Bolero was like a curse on the comfortable aspect.
revvharder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 22:53   #100
BHPian

I have a Indica V2 DLS 2001 make. The car still runs pretty well. Its my beater car. Its still on stock engine and has covered 2,04,500kms, low on maintenance, 18-19kmpl consistently, great AC, spacious and comfortable. What more can I ask for?

Its sad to know about the discontinuation. But that's what Tata Motors needs to do, and I too think its a right move. However, I still feel a fresh, stunning looking car will be launched ( may be a decade later) bearing the nomenclature 'Indica'. But somewhere I feel this will happen, this should happen. Indica will rise again from the ashes...till then RIP.
keeprevving is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 00:15   #101
BHPian

I don't have any stake in this, yet I am very glad with this decision.

This really needed to take this step. These cars were doing abysmal numbers, whereas there are others cars (Tiago, Nexon) which are doing good numbers and in fact have a waiting period, the production resources needed to be shifted and utilized better.

There are many other outdated cars in the market, such as Mahindra Bolero, Maruti Omni, but they have a cult, a unique value proposition which others can't seem to beat and hence still do decent numbers. I initially thought that Indica and Indigo might also be offering something like that, I talked to many taxi drivers regarding the same, all of them very disappointed and only critical of the product so it made sense it be discontinued, but only to return as a better more improved product!
bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 13:29   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rumour: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo to be discontinued. Update: RIP Indica & Indigo

Even if the Nano is stopped in India, it seems to be exported as CBUs for now and selling very well in Bangladesh.

https://www.livemint.com/Companies/K...iloys-Abd.html

Excerpts from the above Livemint article dated Aug 2017:

Quote:
Abdul Matlub Ahmad had his eyes set on the Tata Nano from the time it was launched by Tata Motors Ltd in 2008. The chairman of the Nitol Niloy Group, Tata Motors Ltd’s manufacturing partner in Bangladesh, ordered four Nanos to be delivered to his group from among the first series produced in India.

“They are still running perfectly,” Ahmad said in an interview on Friday.

In India, the Nano may not have lived up to its billing as a wonder car, but in Bangladesh it has a “tremendous potential”, according to Ahmad. The reason: “Terrible” congestion and inadequate road space in Bangladesh—a country of 163 million whose economy is growing at around 7%.

The Nano is fuel-efficient, and far more convenient to drive on the congested streets of Dhaka compared with, say, a Toyota Corolla. What is more, the Nano now has a variant with automatic transmission, which is important for Bangladesh because people there are not used to manual transmission. Passenger cars in Bangladesh are switching to petrol and diesel, so being fuel-efficient helps.
The Bangladeshi gentleman speaking to Livemint in the above article is pushing for local assembly of the Nano to subvert the high 175% duty on the CBUs imported from India.

I wonder how the Nano is faring in Sri Lanka. It's been on sale there since 2011: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ow/8788692.cms

Last edited by locusjag : 24th May 2018 at 13:35.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 11:08   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo to be discontinued. Update: RIP Indica & Indigo

The Indica family leaves behind its legacy - The Indica family tree!

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-deazvgvu0aeiib1.jpg

Source:ACI
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 13:42   #104
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo to be discontinued. Update: RIP Indica & Indigo

The ghost of Indica egg Silhouette will be there in nth generation also. I guess Tata vehicles will be the easiest to be identified in completely 100% camouflaged test vehicles.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 00:20   #105
BHPian

The Indica V1, when it came out, was refreshing to look at. Then came V2 which was good looking as well. Then came Vista in 2008. By then, the world had moved on to better designs. And Vista still looked eerily similar to the car (Indica) that was launched 10 years ago. It was a mistake and a huge let down. They corrected it with the Tiago and Tigor. They don't look dated or boring even if the "silhouette" is vaguely similar. So what is wrong if a manufacturer is retaining it's "classic design language" if they are able to produce contemporary designs by doing so? I dont think you need to call it a ghost. It can well be a guardian angel. The Tiago, Tigor and Nexon does not look boring/old from any angle.
DieselAddikt is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks