Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 14:28   #31
BHPian

re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakh

I hope they have actually tweaked the steering and handling of the car as opposed to just some cosmetic changes.

With news that Hyundai is launching an Eon 'Sports' model the term seems to have lost all meaning and context, but hope Ford proves me wrong.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:46   #32
BHPian

There is. RavenAvi has posted the pics in the Aspire thread. GTO also mentioned it in the Figo thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is there a Aspire Sports as well along with the Figo?
jetti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 21:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
With news that Hyundai is launching an Eon 'Sports' model the term seems to have lost all meaning and context, but hope Ford proves me wrong.
My exact thoughts! The words Cross, Sports etc have lost their intended meanings altogether. I was dumbfounded seeing the Sports version of a 800 cc Eon in its Era and Magna trims .

Figo and Aspire both need a substantial firming up of steering feel and suspension set up. Though unlikely to be implemented, a minor tweak in the engine tune won't be bad either.

Just wish that Ford won't - in calling it the Sports version, a la the erstwhile Fiesta S - end up committing an Estilo-esque blunder (Zen - Zen Estilo).
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 22:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope they have actually tweaked the steering and handling of the car as opposed to just some cosmetic changes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Figo and Aspire both need a substantial firming up of steering feel and suspension set up...
While this is the same sentiment shared by many bhpians across threads, quoting the latest posts only for relevance and not meant to point fingers at you both.

I recently got the Figo TDCi Titanium about a month ago and have clocked close to 1000kms so far. This is with one long drive on the highway included.
The steering feel is perfect for the city and highway with the 195/55-R15 wheels on the car. I changed the tyres and wheels on day 1 right after delivery so not sure how it would be with the 14 inch tyre and wheel combo. While a firm steering is good, practically for the crowded city streets and the hill drives, Ford have got the steering calibration perfect with the 15 inch set up.

You don't feel fatigued driving it in the hills or in the crowded city streets. Same with the suspension too. For the kind of craters on Bangalore roads, the suspension feels plush and does not transfer any road irregularities into the cabin including the flyover joints/concrete road joints.

So while a firm suspension and steering is good for the odd drives, as a daily drive family car, it is set up perfectly even for spirited driving. As I have still not crossed the 1500kms run-in as mentioned in the manual, did not drive beyond 100kmph on the highway drive, but even at this speed it never felt like it needs more feel at the steering.
abhinav.s is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 22:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
While this is the same sentiment shared by many bhpians across threads, quoting the latest posts only for relevance and not meant to point fingers at you both.

I recently got the Figo TDCi Titanium about a month ago and have clocked close to 1000kms so far. This is with one long drive on the highway included.
The steering feel is perfect for the city and highway with the 195/55-R15 wheels on the car. I changed the tyres and wheels on day 1 right after delivery so not sure how it would be with the 14 inch tyre and wheel combo. While a firm steering is good, practically for the crowded city streets and the hill drives, Ford have got the steering calibration perfect with the 15 inch set up.

You don't feel fatigued driving it in the hills or in the crowded city streets. Same with the suspension too. For the kind of craters on Bangalore roads, the suspension feels plush and does not transfer any road irregularities into the cabin including the flyover joints/concrete road joints.

So while a firm suspension and steering is good for the odd drives, as a daily drive family car, it is set up perfectly even for spirited driving. As I have still not crossed the 1500kms run-in as mentioned in the manual, did not drive beyond 100kmph on the highway drive, but even at this speed it never felt like it needs more feel at the steering.
What you mention is quite interesting, and possibly relevant since the so-called sports edition comes with 15-inch wheels, though they might not be as wide as your tires.

However, your setup is very different than the stock models that most people are talking about.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 23:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you mention is quite interesting, and possibly relevant since the so-called sports edition comes with 15-inch wheels, though they might not be as wide as your tires.
A lot of details are posted in the Figo thread.

Relevant points:
- 195/55 R15 tyres on 15" Alloys
- new Sporty Suspension as told by a dealer
samaspire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 23:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
A lot of details are posted in the Figo thread.

Relevant points:
- 195/55 R15 tyres on 15" Alloys
- new Sporty Suspension as told by a dealer
As mentioned by @samaspire, I have the exact same tyre and wheel combo that is spotted on the Figo Sports variant. This is also the same combination that is present on the export variants of Figo hatch and sedan. The only thing remaining to be seen is if they have a new sporty suspension as the dealer claims. As i said, the suspension seems like a perfect balance between control and comfort in my car with the current set up. If the sporty suspension does not make the ride quality very harsh at the cost of handling, then I would surely pay for it and swap it.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 18:51   #38
BHPian

Sports edition is live on Ford India website:
Ford Figo Sports Edition

I do not see any differences in engine tune, but the fuel efficiency numbers of the Sports edition are slightly lower than the regular Titanium ones. Could be because of bigger wheels or more weight. Cannot see the weight comparison on the website.
jetti is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 19:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
Sports edition is live on Ford India website..
I do not see any differences in engine tune, but the fuel efficiency numbers of the Sports edition are slightly lower than the regular Titanium ones.
No mention about firmed up suspension and the type of suspension is exactly the same at least on the website between the normal car and the Figo S version. So if it has been changed, it should ideally be in the tuning rather than outright component change. The black bits on the exterior look really nice. The main grouse I have with the current Figo interior is the silver bits around the audio system and the steering wheel inserts. Always loved the piano black finish of the Aspire here. They have remedied that in the Figo S with the piano black inserts around the audio console and steering wheel. In addition the leather wrapped steering is a good touch. Overall not sure how much of a premium they will charge over the regular Titanium model, but the subtle interior and exterior changes along with the bigger alloys and tyres, I am guessing a 60k premium over the regular one.
abhinav.s is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 22:31   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

The comparison with the Titanium+ model doesn't really show any mechanical changes except for the wider tyre + alloy combo. What I like is, the Sports option will be offered with the Side & Curtain airbags as an option.

So, this doesn't look like a move to get rid of existing stocks - the option of 4 airbags wouldn't have been given otherwise. With this in place, the only thing I guess I'll miss on the "S" variant is the proper MID screen. I see no reason why they can't make this an option on the top variant at all, instead of the Titanium variant.

Edit:: I wish they also had a nice shade on the offer - a well maintained Fiesta S still makes me turn my head.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 10:56   #41
BHPian

Looks like the media drives have begun..

Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs-screen-shot-20170417-10.54.43-am.png

Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs-screen-shot-20170417-10.53.11-am.png

Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs-screen-shot-20170417-10.52.52-am.png
rshanker is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 11:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Finally some mention of the suspension.

Eagerly waiting for the review on this car and hopefully Aspire gets the same changes too.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 11:42   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

from what i have made out from the posts here, this will not be available on the AT variant. With the changing preference to AT of urban commuter, Ford should give a similar treatment to AT variant also.

I am in the market for an AT car, and have almost made up my mind on Baleno, this variant would have really made me give a second thought to Ford.
Old 17th April 2017, 12:00   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford Figo Sports and Aspire Sports prices start from Rs 6.31 lakh and Rs 6.50 lakh ex- Delhi respectively and in Titanium trim only.

Quote:
The Ford Figo Sports 1.2 petrol is priced at Rs 6.31 lakh while the Aspire petrol starts from 6.50 lakh, ex-Delhi. The diesel Figo is priced at Rs 7.21 lakh and the Aspire at Rs 7.60 lakh.
Quote:
The major changes that make the new Figo cars distinct from the regular variants is the suspension. Ford states that the set-up has been tweaked and made firmer than before. The additional tweaking has made the ride stiffer than before. This in turn has supposedly improved the dynamics, making the Figo twins better handlers along with offering a more engaging drive experience.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th April 2017 at 12:09.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 12:07   #45
BHPian

Seems like S ill be on top of Titanium variant and not Titanium +, missing out on the LCD screen, Ford MyKey etc

Does anyone know more
kumarsiddhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed