Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Toyota to launch Corolla Hybrid in India

Toyota is reportedly planning to launch the Corolla Hybrid in India. Though the automaker hasn't revealed any official information about the same, media reports claim that the car will be launched here by mid-2017. If the speculations do come out to be true, the Corolla Hybrid will be the third hybrid car from Toyota to be sold in the country, after the Camry and the Prius.

Reports further suggest that Toyota is planning to assemble the car locally to keep the price tag competitive. The current petrol-powered Corolla Altis is priced in the range of 13.79 lakh to Rs. 18.69 lakh, while the Camry Hybrid is priced at Rs. 31.99 lakh. The Corolla Hybrid is expected to fill this gap in the car maker's portfolio.

No official details about the Corolla Hybrid's specifications for India have surfaced yet. However, it might borrow powertrain from the recently launched Prius, which comes with a 1.8-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine and electric motor setup, mated to an e-CVT gearbox.

Source: Car and Bike

Rumour: Toyota to launch Corolla Hybrid in India-toyotacorollahybrid_827x510_71487663825.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 22nd February 2017 at 09:43.
dZired is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:51   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Toyota to launch Corolla Hybrid in India

At one time, a Mercedes was the only car brand running on our roads with airbags & ABS. Today, you get these features in entry-level cars and they're also going to be made mandatory soon.

Similar thing with Hybrid tech which IMHO is perfectly suited to stop & go Indian traffic conditions. An electric motor can provide the propulsion at low traffic speeds, thus giving excellent fuel economy & lowering emissions.

Toyota got the Hybrid first in the CBU Prius.
Then the Camry.
Now maybe the Corolla.
I eagerly wait for the day that the Etios & Liva segments see hybrids.

Toyota is sitting on a game-changing technology for the Indian market. The faster they act, the better. Else they'll lose the first-mover advantage.

P.S. Imagine Maruti doing a 'Fiat' on Toyota after their recently announced partnership. That is, launching Toyota hybrid tech before Toyota India does (the same way Maruti is selling a Fiat 1.6L & AMT, which the parent company isn't!!!).

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2017 at 14:53.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 17:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
At one time, a Mercedes was the only car brand running on our roads with airbags & ABS. Today, you get these features in entry-level cars and they're also going to be made mandatory soon.

Similar thing with Hybrid tech which IMHO is perfectly suited to stop & go Indian traffic conditions. An electric motor can provide the propulsion at low traffic speeds, thus giving excellent fuel economy & lowering emissions.

P.S. Imagine Maruti doing a 'Fiat' on Toyota after their recently announced partnership. That is, launching Toyota hybrid tech before Toyota India does (the same way Maruti is selling a Fiat 1.6L & AMT, which the parent company isn't!!!).
Lol, it's quite possible. And will be a good thing too. This tech needs to be catered to masses and which better company to do it than Maruti?

Also, I'm happy with a hybrid tech because lower emissions + low end torque + feel of a petrol motor. I hate electric cars because they feel too robotic. But electric + petrol sounds too delicious!

Last edited by The Brutailer : 22nd February 2017 at 17:17.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 18:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

While I do appreciate Toyota's ploy of bringing in Corolla Hybrid, they also need to think of getting smaller hybrids (Hatchback/Spaceback).

For people commuting within city, a compact car is the need of the hour, but sadly there aren't any of them. You have the Mahindra e2o+, but that's a full electric. I would rather prefer Hybrid over Full Electric due to time it takes to recharge the batteries.

Honda has the excellent Jazz Hybrid, but they don't seem to be even thinking of bringing one here. I think Toyota has some small Hybrids, they should get one soon.

Coming back to Corolla, since it's already made here, I hope Toyota doesn't overprice it. If the incentives help in pricing it at par with Ciaz/City/Verna, you know which one I'll be picking up !!
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 23:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Anything more on the Altis hybrid? Toyota really should set the cat amongst the pigeons by launching hybrids across a wider range of models asap . We all know how readily the market lapped up the Camry hybrid. The credentials are already in place with that for Toyota. The altis hybrid is runaway hit material from the word go.
Old 1st August 2017, 01:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Anything more on the Altis hybrid? Toyota really should set the cat amongst the pigeons by launching hybrids across a wider range of models asap . We all know how readily the market lapped up the Camry hybrid. The credentials are already in place with that for Toyota. The altis hybrid is runaway hit material from the word go.
You won't hear anything more on this until the govt removed the irrational cess on hybrids

If the cess remains then there is no way the Altis hybrid will make it here
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 15:16   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You won't hear anything more on this until the govt removed the irrational cess on hybrids

If the cess remains then there is no way the Altis hybrid will make it here
Oh yes I forgot about that - good point.

I'm optimistic though that this is something that will be corrected / rolled back soon. Hybrids are not such a big revenue source and the higher GST goes directly against their stated objectives of promoting cleaner tech.

Once that happens I do hope the Altis hybrid launch gets some traction. Only sore point of course will be the much reduced 350 ltr boot space in an executive sedan that one will need to reconcile to.
Old 8th September 2017, 09:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Discussion on electric, hybrid vehicles, alternative fuel tops agenda at SIAM meet.

Quote:
Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Anant Geete said the government was considering the extension of a scheme to promote electric and hybrid vehicles by another six months.
Quote:
Most likely, we will extend it for another six months after the end of September
link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks