Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 07:44   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Thanks for the report!! . However I surely miss the 6th clog in the petrol variant as the rev friendly engine begs for this gear and wonder why Honda choose to ignore this.
Going by Honda's strategy, they probably didn't want to invest in an additional gear when they are promoting the automatic transmission as the premium offering. Perhaps, it may come as a feature in their next generation City.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:21   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Over 40% bookings for ZX. That speaks a lot about the Indian market and why its so unpredictable and irrational.

Well then Honda should seriously consider offering the ZX Manual Version. Why deny the stick shift lovers the right to own 6 airbags. The other features are just cosmetic.

Give all the bells and whistles in each transmission and let the prospective customers decide. Started with the Creta and all manufacturers seem to be taking a cue from that.

I took the test drive of both the petrol transmissions. The manual definitely outperforms the CVT in outright performance. Sigh, it misses out on airbags.

I guess no car can be perfect :banghead:
mihirdesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:38   #138
BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

I don't know if anyone else has a similar thought but when I see a Honda City on the road, it doesn't come across as regal and entirely planted. Other sedans like the Ciaz, Vento or Verna maybe look wider which give them that feeling of stability.

Just a thought.
Old 20th March 2017, 13:47   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
I don't know if anyone else has a similar thought but when I see a Honda City on the road, it doesn't come across as regal and entirely planted. Other sedans like the Ciaz, Vento or Verna maybe look wider which give them that feeling of stability.

Just a thought.
Just by looks, no cars will be stable theoretically IMO.
You have to drive them all to feel and judge the stability factor.
The Great is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 15:46   #140
BHPian

Had a look at the ZX at a showroom. The one inside the showroom on display looked good from the interiors and exteriors while the test drive vehicles looked very ordinary even the ZX one. The interior quality looks very good in photographs but it's good or average in reality. Good if you manage to keep it clean and shining. The dashboard is a dust magnet with the piano black finish. The soft touch dashboard part looks ok. It won't age very well. hard plastics are in abundance. You really need to keep polishing the dashboard for it to maintain the appeal. The test drive vehicles already looked old from the inside.

The V variant looks the most value for money if you can compromise with the LED lights, sunroof and few other gimmicky features. It would be prudent to buy the V and then get a leather pack done outside the showroom and tyres/alloys replacement. That's all you really need. Halogen lights are adequate if not the best.

Has anyone done a tyre/alloys upsize on the V variant from Honda itself. How much do they charge and what size did you opt for? If someone has done this outside the showroom, they may share this information as well.

Last edited by aviraj : 20th March 2017 at 15:47.
aviraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 13:12   #141
BHPian

Dear Honda City owners,

After the recent tragic accident in Chennai (involving Racer Ashwin Sundar), myself and family had a heated discussion on the automatic door lock mechanism. I recently took a test drive of 2017 Honda City and one of the features was automatic door locking once the car reaches about 20 kmph speed. I asked the sales consultant whether the locked doors open automatically in case of a collision / accident but he had no answer. I am throwing open this discussion to the forum and specifically to Honda City owners whether Honda city has this safety feature?

Regards,

SMSP
Old 21st March 2017, 13:33   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
Dear Honda City owners,

I asked the sales consultant whether the locked doors open automatically in case of a collision / accident but he had no answer. I am throwing open this discussion to the forum and specifically to Honda City owners whether Honda city has this safety feature?

Regards,

SMSP
The door lock mechanism is programmable in many cars. Do not specifically know about the City case. it can be programmed to open when the engine is turned off. But, did not come across a provision of programming to open in case of a collision/accident in the models I had owned.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 13:37   #143
BHPian

I own a Honda Jazz and the door lock mechanism is such that when you turn off the ignition and remove the key, they unlock which is a bit odd. It should have been the other way & unlock when we turn off the ignition. Probably we can configure in whatever way, we feel like as I had it configured with the hand brake for my wagon R
Old 21st March 2017, 16:08   #144
Senior - BHPian

In my 2014 City doors unlock when we switch off the engine. So, I am guessing it is the same feature in facelift as well.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 18:19   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After the recent tragic accident in Chennai (involving Racer Ashwin Sundar), myself and family had a heated discussion on the automatic door lock mechanism. I recently took a test drive of 2017 Honda City and one of the features was automatic door locking once the car reaches about 20 kmph speed. I asked the sales consultant whether the locked doors open automatically in case of a collision / accident but he had no answer. I am throwing open this discussion to the forum and specifically to Honda City owners whether Honda city has this safety feature?
There are both advantages and disadvantages of this feature.

The advantage is when you are travelling with Kids.

The disadvantages are multi faceted
- when the car meets with an accident, the passengers are at the mercy of the electronics to unlock themselves out.
- Even in a car which does not have auto locking, if the driver has locked it using central locking, the scenario will be the same.
- If the electronics malfunction/battery disconnects, then the auto-unlock may fail and the manual(central) unlocking itself may fail.

The Polo which I drive has a weird Central locking. But, I now think that this is better in some scenarios.
- There is a lock/unlock button on the driver side door. Using the button you can lock all the doors, but only from outside.
- Any passenger from inside can open the door even when the car is centrally locked. In case of an accident, you are not left at the mercy of the auto-unlocking to happen, as you are free to open the door from inside, any time.
- To prevent Kids from accidentally opening, the mechanical child lock in the door frame has to used. There is no such child lock on front doors. They can be open anytime and in any 'locking' scenario.

Lastly, in event of an accident, in spite of all these auto-lock/un-lock etc. the door may get physically jammed.
- A proper Hammer should be carried inside a car at all times, to break open the window glass if needed.
- Headrests of the seats have metal mounts, they also could be used. But not as effective or ergonomic to hold, like a good old hammer.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 21st March 2017 at 18:21.
Old 21st March 2017, 18:29   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Honda City owners,

Regards,

SMSP
The car will automatically unlock if the engine is switched off. But if you want to do it manually, you can surely do so. Attaching a pic of the mechanism below.

Quote:
The disadvantages are multi faceted
- when the car meets with an accident, the passengers are at the mercy of the electronics to unlock themselves out.
Not true. Check my post above.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-image.png  

Last edited by The Brutailer : 21st March 2017 at 18:36.
Old 21st March 2017, 21:09   #147
BHPian

The child locks are NOT provided on the front doors because children are not supposed to be seated in either of the front seats. Instead of a full size hammer, there is a tool called Life Hammer specifically designed to break glass. There are similar products (kubotan)in the market which are equally effective. Here's a link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163949

Last edited by Eddy : 21st March 2017 at 21:56. Reason: corrected typo
Content Reactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:32   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
The car will automatically unlock if the engine is switched off. But if you want to do it manually, you can surely do so. Attaching a pic of the mechanism below.

Not true. Check my post above.
Dear BHPians,

Thanks for the information.

Regards,

SMSP
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:51   #149
BHPian

Hi everyone

Honda has announced a price rise throughout its model range, barring the WR-V, by Rs 10,000 (multiple online news sources). I tried calling a local dealer to find out how it affects different variants of Honda City (particularly petrol - V variant) but they had no clue .

Please let me know if any of you have an update.
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:57   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewExperience View Post
I tried calling a local dealer to find out how it affects different variants of Honda City (particularly petrol - V variant) but they had no clue .

Please let me know if any of you have an update.
Honda will skip Price Hike on that V Spec City. If they increase its price, it will affect them badly. Sales will be down by at least 30-40%. I think Honda knows that, let's wait & watch.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed