Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2017, 16:21   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
To be honest, that doesn't give confidence in the brand.
But I will agree with you on the traffic part. Having an automatic is so relaxing I can't even put it properly in words. The thought of having to slip the clutch in traffic. Nuh uh. DSG powah, baby. Have also driven the jazz CVT and it's bloody good in y traffic. No jerks like I have in the DSG.
I think these are small niggles and irritants that can be ironed out (as it was) by good after sales service. I drove the Polo GT TSI I didn't find it jerky it was butter smooth, but didn't have the confidence to go in for it. Was ogling at the new Corolla: it's a lot more VFM than the City, I think the top end VL CVT is some ₹20.14 L ex-S with all the bells and whistles some 9 airbags, etc. But the City is a perfect fit dimensions wise for a family of 4 and with the driver aids (Camera and Rear parking sensors) easy to park as well.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 2nd April 2017 at 16:30.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 20:32   #182
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to find any niggles in my new 2017 VMT yet (touchwood). However, I find the engine noisier than the 2010 City I had. The ivtec is super silent at idle, however I find my Ritz 1.2 to have a more smoother sound when I increase the revs. I noticed the same in the TD car as well. NVH levels have definitely taken a hit in the new ones.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 3rd April 2017 at 20:34.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 20:43   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am yet to find any niggles in my new 2017 VMT yet (touchwood). However, I find the engine noisier than the 2010 City I had. The ivtec is super silent at idle, however I find my Ritz 1.2 to have a more smoother sound when I increase the revs. I noticed the same in the TD car as well. NVH levels have definitely taken a hit in the new ones.
I understand what you're saying about the slight harshness of the engine. I felt the same way on the test drive car. But I think it's just a matter of bedding the engine in properly. I'm guessing the first proper service should sort things out. What is the service interval though? I know the WR-V has a 12 month interval. Does the new city still have the old 6 month period?
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:06   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpitt View Post
I understand what you're saying about the slight harshness of the engine. I felt the same way on the test drive car. But I think it's just a matter of bedding the engine in properly. I'm guessing the first proper service should sort things out. What is the service interval though? I know the WR-V has a 12 month interval. Does the new city still have the old 6 month period?
I just did the first service last Friday and it's better however I am expecting a better result after the first oil change. I wanted to change now itself, however the SA asked to me not to so that engine can bed in properly and change during 2nd service which is for 3 months if I really want to. Since Honda uses synthetic oil, I agreed.

It is still 6 months. However, IIRC 1st service - 1 month, 2nd - 3 month and 3rd - 6 month and then every 6 months.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:07   #185
BHPian

Quote:
This is what I meant when I said that the engine is silent but not super silent. Agree with you 100%.
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:11   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
This is what I meant when I said that the engine is silent but not super silent. Agree with you 100%.
I know ! I saw your previous post and knew exactly what you are talking about. But till that time my experience was limited to that of the TD car so refrained from commenting. We have the same same color and variant by the way.

OFF TOPIC: There is a WA group for 2017 Honda City. You and @Durango_Dude should have got PMs for it. Do join !
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:44   #187
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. I too find the Honda City petrol far too noisy (compared to my SX4 petrol). Pre-facelift as well as facelift models.

That was the *sole* reason why I didn't upgrade from my SX4. It actually felt like a downgrade, after I drove it at 120 kmph on Blore's NICE Expy (took TD vehicle from Dakshin Honda, close to NICE).

At slow speeds, you can't make out. But at hwy speeds, its uncomfortably noisy.
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:21   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I agree. I too find the Honda City petrol far too noisy (compared to my SX4 petrol). Pre-facelift as well as facelift models.

That was the *sole* reason why I didn't upgrade from my SX4. It actually felt like a downgrade, after I drove it at 120 kmph on Blore's NICE Expy (took TD vehicle from Dakshin Honda, close to NICE).

At slow speeds, you can't make out. But at hwy speeds, its uncomfortably noisy.
I've found the engine to be very refined especially with gentle throttle inputs in the CVT. The more you rev the engine more audible it becomes. It depends which gear you were in while doing 120 kmph. How many places can you maintain such speeds without our roads throwing up a surprise?
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:59   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I've found the engine to be very refined especially with gentle throttle inputs in the CVT. The more you rev the engine more audible it becomes. It depends which gear you were in while doing 120 kmph. How many places can you maintain such speeds without our roads throwing up a surprise?
The Ivtech has a split personality. Below 2500 rpm. Is is super refined and very fuel efficient. If you like smoothness and if you have a CVT keep it below this rpm, and enjoy the calm.

Above 2500rpm its a monster. The ivtech bares its fangs, the traffic in the rear view mirror disappears, and lets out a very addictive throaty growl. This is best enjoyed with the MT. With CVT it is just a growl with no increase in speed.

I love this dual nature of the city. It can be a refined family hauler but you can make the iVtech roar once in a while and have some fun.
JediKnight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 23:18   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
The Ivtech has a split personality. Below 2500 rpm. Is is super refined and very fuel efficient. If you like smoothness and if you have a CVT keep it below this rpm, and enjoy the calm.

Above 2500rpm its a monster. The ivtech bares its fangs, the traffic in the rear view mirror disappears, and lets out a very addictive throaty growl. This is best enjoyed with the MT. With CVT it is just a growl with no increase in speed.

I love this dual nature of the city. It can be a refined family hauler but you can make the iVtech roar once in a while and have some fun.
Totally agreed. Love this dual personality. At low rpms, it's very calm and silent and sedate. No sound whatsoever. Almost feels electric.

But bury the pedal and it goes crazy. It is F-A-S-T. And has one of the sportiest stock exhaust note I've experienced. It's not at all loud. Rear passengers may not even hear it. But you will. And it will induce a smile.

Oh, and did I mention iVtec can reach 100 kmph in 2nd gear itself?

0-100 link (in sub 10 seconds in MT variant. This guy has shifted perfectly) :

Just hear that sweet exhaust note. No turbo spoiling it. And look at the way that rev needle shoots.

I gotta admit: There's no replacement for displacement and sweet N.A. Engines!

Last edited by The Brutailer : 3rd April 2017 at 23:41.
The Brutailer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 08:58   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
My car wasn't entire trouble free:

1) No headlights for 2 days post delivery: Light stalk defective set right promptly by taking the car and bringing it back after changing the light stalk.

2)There was an irritating rattle from the left A pillar cladding. That was pointed out during fitting of accessories, was ask to make a note during first service which I did and was sorted out.

Other wise thing were smooth.

I really don't know whether the traffic has become that bad after I got a CVT, the two wheeler's appear really suicidal and they weave and come rather close for comfort. Those with manual transmissions have less patience, I feel. Eventually I've seen all that adrenaline pumping drive get's them no where, I'm there with them at the signal. I think automatics are the way to go for Indian conditions. Makes you more aware of your surroundings and arrive as cool as a cucumber.
I hope you don't encounter any other niggles. Two-wheeler riders tend to squeeze in where they can. I faced the same issue when I TD the City in the evening. Two separate riders within a span of 10 mins nearly grazed the front of the car while waiting for a signal. I am usually more careful and keep a distance when handling a new vehicle so I had left a gap before the car in front. What I do now is inch a little closer or keep the gap on either side of the car narrow enough to avoid bikers from coming from at least one side. That way I can pay more attention to the open side instead glancing on both sides intermittently. It may not always work but it's helped in most cases.
Old 5th April 2017, 09:40   #192
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, things have finally smoothened out. Since the niggles were promptly set right. There are many levels to escalate your grievances sitting at home.
Old 5th April 2017, 16:07   #193
BHPian

A couple of weeks ago I test drove the new City VX manual. I quite enjoyed the drive in as much that the overall feel is better than the earlier versions.

Though the ride is firm with the wider and lower profile tyres, the grip has definitely improved and there appears to be a slight reduction in road noise.

One issue I see is that if the tyres need to be changed, where do we find 185/55 R16 tyres? Neither Michelin nor Bridgestone nor Apollo nor MRF appear to have this size available in their portfolios. This is not an issue with the lower versions.
Old 9th April 2017, 15:28   #194
BHPian

The 2017 Honda City prices are going up in the range of 50k-90k. VMT petrol is going up by 70k. I'm likely to skip my HC purchase going by this update from the sales rep. The SV is what dealers are pushing as most are in stock. But without the alloy wheels, digipad, push start, the SV variant looks pretty bare bones to me.

Last edited by Content Reactor : 9th April 2017 at 15:31.
Content Reactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 15:35   #195
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content Reactor View Post
The 2017 Honda City prices are going up in the range of 50k-90k. VMT petrol is going up by 70k. I'm likely to skip my HC purchase going by this update from the sales rep. The SV is what dealers are pushing as most are in stock. But without the alloy wheels, digipad, push start, the SV variant looks pretty bare bones to me.
what's the source? If true, am canceling my booing and going for Creta/ brv. In case of brv, am getting same engine/ at combo for a lot lesser (of course, minus some goodies like 4 air bags, leather seats(can be done), sun roof, touch screen and cruise control).

Most Viewed