Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2017, 13:54   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking this. Given the fact that the Elantra is a segment above the City do you not feel that the City is a bit of a downgrade with respect to size and class of engine capacity etc. What was the difference between the two (City vs Elantra) that made you go for the City?Thanks.
I wanted a petrol automatic, with good fuel efficiency, good seating, performance. The City delivered on all counts and wasn't interested in the New Elantra which was sure to be a gas guzzler with it's 2 liter petrol engine and auto box. I didn't mind going a segment down. My old Elantra petrol 1.8L (manual) delivers something like 7 kmpl in the city and around 11 kmpl on the highway, City delivers a lot better (10-11 kmpl:Urban; 15-16 kmpl Highway) and CVT is a joy to use! I have no regrets.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 18:06   #482
BHPian

My VCVT is still on the 2nd tankful, initial impressions and observations

The Positives

- Rear seat is the preferred choice of co-passengers.
- Dodging slow moving traffic within the city in sports mode is fun.
- Silent Cabin in the city and minimal tire noise on expressway.
- Good sound quality from speaker setup.
- MID shows a whopping 21 KMPL post a 120 odd KMS trip from Pune to Mumbai via expressway, dropped down to 16 KMPL by the time I completed the return journey, covering 350 odd KMS. By rough tankful to tankful calculation Overall FE is not more that 15 kmpl.

The Niggles

- Beige interiors are going to be a challenge to keep clean and my initial thoughts of sticking with original fabric seats for a couple of months seem foolish now.
- 40 L tank means more frequent visits to the fuel station but at the same time will make sure I get the needed breaks on the longer trips.
- Issues with Bluetooth connectivity, including one instance of the entire AVN system crashing out when I switched from a phone call back to streaming songs. Overall not too happy with the unit.
sindabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:43   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnamarathe View Post
I just booked the petrol manual 'V variant' in white and I am pretty excited! This is my first sedan and I drove XUV500 W10 AT until recently. So as far as the next car was concerned, nothing really managed to impress me. I took a TD for the new Dzire ZXi+, Xcent, Grand i10 and Jazz. But nothing!
And then the City happened. I was blown away by the peppy engine, superb steering feel and seat comfort.
I'm going for a PDI on Thursday
Congrats on the choice, if I may ask, why a petrol manual after driving an XUV500W10AT? In fact the CVT is more efficient than the manual. My initial choice was a V CVT and then I went for a VX CVT. One more thing, since it is stiffly sprung, I haven't faced under body scrapes till now. I have gone over pretty rough roads in the city & suburbs after the recent deluge.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 23rd November 2017 at 12:51.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 17:11   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Congrats on the choice, if I may ask, why a petrol manual after driving an XUV500W10AT? In fact the CVT is more efficient than the manual. My initial choice was a V CVT and then I went for a VX CVT. One more thing, since it is stiffly sprung, I haven't faced under body scrapes till now. I have gone over pretty rough roads in the city & suburbs after the recent deluge.
The CVT is not more fuel efficient than the manual. Don't go by the academic ARAI figures. The manual returns 1-2 kmpl more in city conditions for most users. Also the manual is full 1.5 seconds quicker to the ton. The iVtech and manual is a great combination. You can really enjoy the iVtech top end with the manual. Moreover the gear box is slick shifting and the clutch is light. I have a manual don't have any trouble maneuvering the car in Bangalore peak hour traffic. In my opinion the manual is the better power train option unless you hate changing gears.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 19:36   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
The CVT is not more fuel efficient than the manual. Don't go by the academic ARAI figures. The manual returns 1-2 kmpl more in city conditions for most users. Also the manual is full 1.5 seconds quicker to the ton. The iVtech and manual is a great combination. You can really enjoy the iVtech top end with the manual. Moreover the gear box is slick shifting and the clutch is light. I have a manual don't have any trouble maneuvering the car in Bangalore peak hour traffic. In my opinion the manual is the better power train option unless you hate changing gears.
The CVT is a 7 speed one. So under sedate highway conditions it will give more mileage than the manual, which is the reason the ARAI figures are also better. Fun factor and performance to the ton is a different topic.
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:18   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been driving a manual all my life; with the way city traffic is going, I feel an automatic is a sensible option. I swore by manual, just like you, till I bought the CVT. It's reduces the stress of driving and allows you to enjoy the drive despite the traffic. To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
The CVT is a 7 speed one. So under sedate highway conditions it will give more mileage than the manual, which is the reason the ARAI figures are also better. Fun factor and performance to the ton is a different topic.
You're right, it delivers good economy on the highway and the city, too. It has better FE than my son's Grand i10 automatic which is much smaller and less powerful.
Old 24th November 2017, 09:40   #487
BHPian

Quote:
I will have to agree with this, I drove a City S MT 2013 for 60 KMS a day and it returned an avg of 12.5KMPL, now for the past 2 months I have being driving a 2016 CVT on the same route with the same driving style and on 'D' mode. This gives me 11KMPL. So the MT is more efficient than the CVT. Driving condition and traffic is also just about moderate Highway + City roads.
pankaj09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 12:45   #488
BHPian

Guys how much do you have on the ""Range" section on the odometer? At times, my range shows as 70 Kms when the reserve light goes on and the range rapidly reduces. I understand that it gets calculated based on the driving conditions and what mileage is the car getting with the current drive, however, I wanted to know what is the range post the reserve light glows?

I once did a tankful post the range reaching 0 and I knew the tank still held around 6-7 Lts. But it was only to check the range and I always follow the standard on refuelling when decent amount is still available in the tank.

My City VX MT is just 3 months old and just want to get good understanding on the extent the car can go once it reaches the reserve mark. I once refuelled when the Range was 0 and I observed there was around 6 ltrs in there.(But that was only to check the range!! I always follow the best practices around refuelling)

Last edited by SDP : 27th November 2017 at 14:35. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Removed duplicate parts
Old 27th November 2017, 09:56   #489

Quote:
Thank you!
I have only recently moved to Thrissur after living in Mumbai all my life. And I honestly won't expect mind-numbing traffic jams like in Mumbai and hence a MT would be sufficient. Also, I didn't really want to spend more on CVT.
krishnamarathe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 10:50   #490
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnamarathe View Post
Thank you!
I have only recently moved to Thrissur after living in Mumbai all my life. And I honestly won't expect mind-numbing traffic jams like in Mumbai and hence a MT would be sufficient. Also, I didn't really want to spend more on CVT.
Thrissur is not too far behind (from Mumbai) when it comes to traffic jams. And those super narrow roads just add to the chaos
An AT will be a better bet if the car of your choice have that option.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 13:05   #491
Senior - BHPian

I rode in the new honda city in singapore just last month. The automatic transmission gear lever is so different to the ones we get here. Why the bad treatment for us Honda?
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-2017_honda_idcd_drive_146.jpg  

Fullrevs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 16:13   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
The automatic transmission gear lever is so different to the ones we get here.
Thats because what we get here is the 'ordinary' Petrol Automatic whereas what you were lucky to ride there was the Hybrid variant and hence the different gear lever
Cheers
Uday
uday.ere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 22:53   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I rode in the new honda city in singapore just last month. The automatic transmission gear lever is so different to the ones we get here. Why the bad treatment for us Honda?
At least the key fob is the same That gear lever looks real premium!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 27th November 2017 at 23:20.
Old 28th November 2017, 10:45   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At least the key fob is the same That gear lever looks real premium!

Even better were the Honda City in white and silver, the gear lever was in white with a cool blue button on top.
Old 28th November 2017, 12:09   #495
BHPian

Quote:
I went through the Singapore Honda Website and also found around 9 color options for the City. This included 2 shades of Red and around 3 shades of Blue. Their display ads primarily show the Cosmic Blue color City instead of the MSM we see in the ads in India.

The Cosmic Blue Metallic and Nocturnal Night Metallic color seemed eye catching and they should launch that in India soon. It is surely gonna be a hit.
abhisheknandan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks