Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2017, 23:20   #61
mxh
BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
. City would be a downgrade in terms of power for sure.
The 2012 Linea Tjet had 112 horses and weighed around 200kg more. So I doubt it would feel like a downgrade in terms of power.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 23:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Drove the City facelift a few days ago, Petrol Manual.

1) The rear seat is incredibly comfortable. Adjustable Headrests are welcome. Best chauffeur driven car in segment I would say. Comfortable seats, good legroom.

2) Engine is excellent. Good when occasionally the chauffeur is on leave. It takes stress away from driving. Note that my daily drive is either Wagon R K10 or Swift K12M with VVT. Both of these motors aren't known for their torque at low end. Engine suits City's character of all rounder quite well.

3) Outside noise : Good insulation, but I expected it to be better. Ciaz is equally good. No advantage to city in refinement w.r.t price over Ciaz.

4) Boot is huge, very useful. Can come handy for longer trips.

5) LED lights look very nice. Smart move from Honda. It uplifts the appearance and one step above over projectors.

6) AC was taking longer than usual to cool. The car had 95 kms. on odo. Maybe things will improve once the car does 150-200 kms. Plus, the car was parked under the sun. Somehow, I like the touch controls for AC. I usually hate touch controls while driving and prefer buttons.

7) Gearbox was good, so was clutch. Driving wasn't stressful.

8) The interior lights uplift the whole experience. Better than Ciaz.

9) Ride and Handling : this is something I didnt like. On irregularities, it didn't feel as flat as it should. The car was unsettled by road conditions which I didn't expect. Felt that my Swift is more composed over such roads than City. I had similar experience when I drove my friend's 2014 City Diesel from Surat to Vadodara. May be I am too much used to Swift but somehow, City never felt settled down unless roads were smooth. I do frequently drive 2010 K10 Wagon R and 2012 Innova. Did inquire about tyre pressure if it was checked, but sales person informed that car is straight from factory. Suspension wasn't too soft either. Wouldn't drive City the way I manage to drive my Swift on ghats. This took away from overall feel good factor the excellent rear seat exude.

My take on City facelift : Doesn't command the price over Ciaz. Powertrain advantage in petrol format factored in, still it doesn't strike the value chord as hard as Ciaz. In diesel, Ciaz isn't that far behind and actually offers a more muted motor.

But if image and rear seat comfort are top priority, City still makes a strong case for itself.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 24th February 2017 at 23:56.
aaggoswami is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 23:38   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On the downside, stuff like ESP and Hill Assist which are available on international variants still do not find a place here. At 17L OTR Bangalore for the top variant, would expect these things also.
I couldn't agree more. Many cars in this price range (even a segment below) get these essential safety features. Vento/Rapid, Ecosport, Figo/Aspire get them in their respective AT variants.

As a safety conscious shopper, I don't want to feel shortchanged after spending 17 big ones.
jeevadeepan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 23:48   #64
BHPian

Quote:
City would be a downgrade in terms of power for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
The 2012 Linea Tjet had 112 horses and weighed around 200kg more. So I doubt it would feel like a downgrade in terms of power.
City would be a downgrade in terms of ride and handling, but not in power. In fact, no other car in the segment accelerates to 100 from standstill faster than the City. Even the Linea 125S is slower to 100 compared to the City.

Source: Autocar and Overdrive.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 00:46   #65

Having booked the ZX variant in our family, found the 185 section tyres to be very noisy and bumpy when compared to the 195/60R15 Michelin Primacy 3ST's of my 2016 honda city pre facelift model.

Can someone please clarify few things,
1. Do we have Better 185/55R16 tyres with softer compound say Michelin or Yoko or any other brands?
2. Or should I Upsize to 205/50R16 -- Found this to have the least error of 0.25%

Will there be any change in road noise and comfort as we are moving to a softer compound tyre with profile 55 to 50?

There will no change in the alloys. Will be using the same 6J OE alloys.
Old 25th February 2017, 00:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....it doesnt scrape anywhere even when its fully loaded, something the City has always been prone to.
Its true that the earlier (pre 2014) generations of City had ground clearance issues, unfortunately this reputation has stuck on in people's minds.

The 2014 Gen 4 City has a well sorted ground clearance, it doesn't scrape anywhere even when it is fully loaded with people and luggage

The above statement is after extensive driving on a variety of road conditions.

Honda has finally sorted the earlier models ground clearance issues by a combination of underbody re-design and stiffer suspension that doesn't lower the car significantly when its loaded and while going over humps.

The 165mm is more than enough to drive without any scrapping worries. The newer design increases its practicality (no scraping worries) a lot. The same would be applicable to the 2017 facelift.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 25th February 2017 at 00:58.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 01:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
City would be a downgrade in terms of ride and handling, but not in power. In fact, no other car in the segment accelerates to 100 from standstill faster than the City. Even the Linea 125S is slower to 100 compared to the City.

Source: Autocar and Overdrive.

Everything is not about 0-100, specially in practical situations . In -gear speed is where the t-jet would trump the city. Remember it's a turbo petrol. Also in the 0-100 timings the t-jet is only some seconds behind the city even after weighing almost 200 kgs more
Old 25th February 2017, 01:04   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post

Are you sure about the statistic that the older t-jet weighed 200 kgs more? Please share the info. The T-jet also has diesel like torque, even more than Jetta 1.4 TSI which plays a very important role
Old 25th February 2017, 01:20   #69
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about the statistic that the older t-jet weighed 200 kgs more? Please share the info. The T-jet also has diesel like torque, even more than Jetta 1.4 TSI which plays a very important role
I looked it up on the following site before posting: https://www.carwale.com/fiat-cars/li...tiontjet-2923/
Also, the kerb weight of the current models is specified as 1236 to 1268 kg. Which is around 200kg more than the city. That's primarily why Fiat diesel engines perform better in Marutis than their own cars. The weight difference is huge and affects the mileage as well as performance.
mxh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 04:51   #70
Team-BHP Support

2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-3.jpg

Is it a reflector based setup? No projectors required like in the case of the Innova LED headlamps, beemers etc?

The Chinese Greiz headlamp unit that was initially reported to make it to the Indian version is totally different and has a projector LED setup.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 06:08   #71
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is it a reflector based setup? No projectors required like in the case of the Innova LED headlamps, beemers etc?
Yes, the units have reflectors without projectors, even the Vento has this type of setup for their LED headlamp. City has 3 slots, the outer 2 slots switch-on with the low beam and the inner most slot is lit with the high beam.

From the outside, I could not even see the LED's, they seem to be placed somewhere from the top in the unit, it has a strange design but has a good throw of light. I think they did this to make the units look more like the new Accord's LED headlamp design.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 11:40   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
From the outside, I could not even see the LED's, they seem to be placed somewhere from the top in the unit, it has a strange design but has a good throw of light. I think they did this to make the units look more like the new Accord's LED headlamp design.

Yes, The LEDs are placed at the top.They throw light on reflector and reflectors reflect them outside.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-led.jpg  

pravint is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 12:04   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
The Autoportal review says that the CVT comes with a 7 speed torque converter. What does they really mean? I thought CVT and Torque converter were 2 different kinds of AT systems.
Torque converter is just a type of interface of the gear box to the engine.

Traditionally what is called a Torque converter trasmission is essentially a gearbox with predefined ratios that shifts automatically and drives the wheel through output shaft. The input shaft of this gearbox is linked to the engine through a torque converter.

CVT transmission is an infinitely variable transmission with two pulleys and a push belt (which replaces the predefined gear ratios) and drives the wheels through output shaft. The input shaft of this transmission is connected to the engine through either a clutch pack or through a torque converter. Many manufacturers are now shifting from clutch CVT to torque converter CVT.

Last edited by Sankar : 25th February 2017 at 12:06.
Sankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 14:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Torque converter is just a type of interface of the gear box to the engine.

Traditionally what is called a Torque converter trasmission is essentially a gearbox with predefined ratios that shifts automatically and drives the wheel through output shaft. The input shaft of this gearbox is linked to the engine through a torque converter.

CVT transmission is an infinitely variable transmission with two pulleys and a push belt (which replaces the predefined gear ratios) and drives the wheels through output shaft. The input shaft of this transmission is connected to the engine through either a clutch pack or through a torque converter. Many manufacturers are now shifting from clutch CVT to torque converter CVT.
Thanks for the explanation.

Question for existing CVT owners - What is the lift of the CVT transmission. Since it employs a push belt which keep moving, it must be prone to wear and tear like the other belts in the car. Does Honda city use a rubber belt or metal?
Old 25th February 2017, 14:18   #75
BANNED

All automobile CV transmissions use a metal push belt. Rubber CVT belts are only used in two wheelers afaik.

Reg CVT you need to confirm whether Honda has a TC CVT in the City. Corolla Altis and Micra has TC CV transmissions. The Jazz had/has a clutch CVT.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed