Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2017, 14:36   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Is it only Honda City, or do we judge every car's price based on the price of its top most model?
Last time this happened in the Innova Crysta thread, and previously in the Creta thread and before that in S-Cross 1.6 thread. Certainly not a one-off case here.

However, you are right. There is no correct pricing for any product, other than the price the manufacturer thinks the buyers will pay for it.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 14:39   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Is it only Honda City, or do we judge every car's price based on the price of its top most model?
Just check the Creta preview thread for the amount of flak Hyundai received from the same BHPians after Creta prices were disclosed.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-creta-50.html

So here we would call a spade, a spade - Over priced.

Similar was the case with S Cross 1.6, though MSIL did a price correction
Old 1st March 2017, 16:02   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Last time this happened in the Innova Crysta thread, and previously in the Creta thread and before that in S-Cross 1.6 thread. Certainly not a one-off case here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Just check the Creta preview thread for the amount of flak Hyundai received from the same BHPians after Creta prices were disclosed.
Thanks guys. Interesting stuff. Though, there is a bit of difference in these cases.

Creta and S-cross were brand new cars, with no bench marking against existing models. So the dismay or the glee is purely subjective, based on expectations of the individual. For e.g. I was happy with Creta pricing, hoping that a high price would mean it will be seen as a premium product, sell less and thereby giving me some exclusivity if i buy it (we know how that story turned out )

Crysta, i believe, jacked up the prices variant to variant by a significant amount. Not just the top model. In my view the dismay expressed in terms of 'price of the top variant' was merely to underline, in bold capital letters, as to how ridiculous the pricing was. For e.g. saying "Innova top model is selling for 28 OTR" has more impact than saying "they have increased prices across variants by 1 lakhs" [All rough figures, please don't quote me on the prices.]

The City, on the other hand, has stuck to the broad range in which the existing variants were offered. I can understand that most of us who have lived through the late 90s/early 2000s knowing City as a "million rupee car" feel aghast at - "17 lakhs?! For the City?!" but my point was, that the pricing is more nuanced that just this headline figure.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 21:55   #94
Senior - BHPian

Honda City regains it's crown from Maruti Ciaz. Sells 6318 units against Ciaz which sold 5886 units.

Also read somewhere that Bookings for New City has crossed 10k.

Looks like the update has worked for Honda.
CarguyNish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 22:10   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Honda Cars India, the Indian subsidiary of Japanese car-maker Honda, has reasons to celebrate over February sales.
======
We are thankful to our customers for their support to Honda and hope this momentum will continue," said Honda Cars India President and CEO Yoichiro Ueno.
Source
Old 1st March 2017, 22:29   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I agree with you that 17 lacs is a lot of money and i do feel that they may have gone a tad bit over their head while pricing the ZX variant. However one thing people seem to not understand and not including you here that the CIAZ is not really a CITY competitor in my eyes. 1. it has a puny petrol engine compared to the city.
2. interior quality is not as good the honda. lets call a spade a spade.
3. maruti build is not strong enough to warrant it a 4 star safety rating. im sure when crash tests are done ciaz will struggle with 2 or max 3.
I agree that Ciaz is tad lower in quality on the inside but certainly not by miles and that's the reason they are undercutting the price. Like i said in my post that petrol city has the best engine, but on diesel front Ciaz has a better and more refined unit in my view and you can compare those prices also. City doesn't bring in that much on the table to justify the price delta.

Crash tests I would certainly believe when Indian variants of both cars are tested on same platform. Maruti is certainly notorious in that aspect and City's overall feel doesnt inspire that much confidence in my mind but this could just be my perception. I would certainly hope city's build quality in India is not cutting corners vs intl variants

Quote:
So much frustration on this forum with the figure of Rs. 17 lakhs. Keeps getting repeated, as the single biggest issue with the car. Does everyone buy/intend to buy this car in the top spec only?
In my view the frustration is completely justified. Pricing the entry model lower with minimal features doesnt take away the fact the price for 6 air bags and addl safety is at a premium. If brands like Ford can sell figo and aspire with 6 air bags at such a lower price point, why does city prices have to be sky high. I am not saying aspire represents same segment, but City costs 80% more than an aspire
supertinu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:24   #97
Senior - BHPian

If Hyundai can get away with a Creta being a pseudo SUV, I guess so can Honda. Also they have given options. If you want premium options pay more. They have made additions/changes to every variant and still kept the prices around the same compared to the previous versions. However of all the new 2017 Citys I have seen on the road most of them are ZX surprisingly.

Some cars have kind off become synonymous to the segment they belong to or the first name which will come to your head. So people will be willing to pay the price for it if they can afford.

For example
Entry hatch: Alto
Hatchback: Swift
Premium Hatch: i20
Sub 4m sedan: Dzire
Sedan: Honda City
People mover : Innova
SUV : Scorpio
Premium SUV: Fortuner

However like many mentioned V is the most value for money and I have booked one myself as well.

On a different note can someone help me with the headlight & fogs bulb specifications of the V variant. A friend of mine is traveling from Germany and I was looking at getting NB lasers for the car.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd March 2017 at 20:13. Reason: Typo -> pseudo
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:35   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
<snip>

In my view the frustration is completely justified. Pricing the entry model lower with minimal features doesnt take away the fact the price for 6 air bags and addl safety is at a premium. If brands like Ford can sell figo and aspire with 6 air bags at such a lower price point, why does city prices have to be sky high. I am not saying aspire represents same segment, but City costs 80% more than an aspire
In the last few years Honda has been recalling cars for the flaws discovered in the Takata air bags. For the Honda owners no it is no longer a question if their vehicle will be recalled, it is more of "when". Imagine 6 of them, I am not surprised that the prices for six air bags is high

In the game of Takata air bags, recall is coming!
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:48   #99
BHPian

Checked out the face lifted City this morning:

1. I like the face lifted exterior more than that of the outgoing model. For me it's a positive change.

2. Checked in day light so cannot comment on the LED lamps

3. The auto version is supposed to be now CVT+TC, but frankly I could not make out any difference from the outgoing automatic. I still feel the Altis has the best automatic among the Non-DSGs

4. I for one could not feel any perceptible change in the interior quality. The surfaces feel the same to touch.

All in all, I believe it's just a reason for Honda to increase the prices rather than offering something more substantial.
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 17:00   #100
Senior - BHPian

Finally, took delivery of the Honda City VX-CVT yesterday (02-03-2017) evening. There were 2 other Orchid Pearl White City's waiting for delivery behind me at Capital Honda. Some accessories are yet to come viz, bucket mats, front and rear bumper protectors and the door protectors. Driving it home was a smooth affair and got the pooja done yesterday evening itself at my friendly, neighborhood Ganesh temple (was an auspicious day) yesterday I was in Q behind a Jazz and a Kwid at the temple. Will keep you posted. The car was booked 26th, Feb and delivered on the 2nd, Mar.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-img_0642.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 3rd March 2017 at 17:14.
Durango Dude is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 17:01   #101
BHPian

I saw the new Honda City VX variant in traffic last night. Must say the led tail lights and indicators really stand out. Unfortunately, I could not capture any pictures. If someone is going the check the car out, do try to capture this particular aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Finally, took delivery of the Honda City VX-CVT yesterday (02-03-2017) evening.
Congratulations. You have gotten yourself a wonderful car. If feasible, please capture the tail lights and indicators in action

Last edited by autorahul : 3rd March 2017 at 17:03. Reason: Quote added
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 17:13   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I saw the new Honda City VX variant in traffic last night. Must say the led tail lights and indicators really stand out. Unfortunately, I could not capture any pictures. If someone is going the check the car out, do try to capture this particular aspect.Congratulations. You have gotten yourself a wonderful car. If feasible, please capture the tail lights and indicators in action
Thank you, Rahul, the headlights and fogs are LED but the taillight in the VX variant is Bulb. I shall post a detailed report when I find time. Yesterday was taxing, took delivery went back to work and took a break from work and went to temple for pooja and again back to work. I'm fully satisfied with the car and so is my family. Delivery took a little longer than usual as the SD card with the maps (navigation) was faulty and needed to be changed. I'm yet to get the hang of the AVN system. I'm learning.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 18:54   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the new City Durango Dude and wishing you many many happy miles with the new car.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 21:42   #104
BHPian

Just saw the facelifted City on the road. The top end's alloys look too busy and seem like a ripoff of Hyundai's diamond cut alloys.
Old 4th March 2017, 09:39   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! What are your initial impressions on the quality. Has Honda addressed the complaints?
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed