Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2017, 16:40   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Congrats! What are your initial impressions on the quality. Has Honda addressed the complaints?
Thank you, Altocumulus. My car's headlights wouldn't come on; only DRL's worked!! There was something wrong with the light stalk; Capital Honda sent a technician and driver they took the car got the stalk replaced and brought it back and now it's working. The car is a pleasure to drive. Will keep you posted.
Old 4th March 2017, 16:41   #107
BHPian

2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Finally, took delivery of the Honda City VX-CVT yesterday (02-03-2017) evening. There were 2 other Orchid Pearl White City's waiting for delivery behind me at Capital Honda. Some accessories are yet to come viz, bucket mats, front and rear bumper protectors and the door protectors. Driving it home was a smooth affair and got the pooja done yesterday evening itself at my friendly, neighborhood Ganesh temple (was an auspicious day) yesterday I was in Q behind a Jazz and a Kwid at the temple. Will keep you posted. The car was booked 26th, Feb and delivered on the 2nd, Mar.

Congratulations and have many miles of happiness with you new city. My ZX CVT's delivery is scheduled for Monday. Have gone for the utility kit and exchanged the carpet mats for the bucket mats by paying the difference. I have also gone for the sports pedal. I think the accessories were available here in Mumbai.

Hey were the headlights working during just before delivery?

Last edited by Shreyas Aterkar : 4th March 2017 at 16:44.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 17:16   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Congratulations and have many miles of happiness with you new city. My ZX CVT's delivery is scheduled for Monday. Have gone for the utility kit and exchanged the carpet mats for the bucket mats by paying the difference. I have also gone for the sports pedal. I think the accessories were available here in Mumbai.Hey were the headlights working during just before delivery?
Thank you, Shreyas! I didn't check! I had a walk around; saw a scratch on the rear bumper which turned out to be a water mark; that was set right, many accessories that I had already paid for was on the 'due' list, so mind was occupied. So many things on my mind and the navigation SD card was faulty and that took a lot of time to set right. And I forgot to check the headlight. It was 4pm in the evening, so didn't check. Basically, my mistake and excitement got the better of me!! I was stunned when the headlight's didn't come on so were they. But they were receptive and sent a technician and driver home and checked and rectified it.
Congrats in advance on your City ZX-CVT.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 09:49   #109
BHPian

Hello all,
I'm glad to announce that I have taken delivery of the new City V (MT) variant a week back. This is a short post about my decision, a longer initial report would be coming up in a few months

Cars I considered:
  • VW Ameo
  • Maruti Suzuki Ciaz
  • Hyundai Verna
  • Honda City 2016 and 2017

I had started the hunt for an upgrade last year. The launch of Ameo was promising, and I went to VW to check out the petrol as soon as it launched. I have to say, VW has a build/paint quality in a league of its own, even on the budget Ameo. However, the deal breaker here was twofold - the extremely cramped rear seat (my Beat has better kneeroom ) and the long clutch. Even with the DSG launch, I was not convinced. But unlike most here on tbhp, I still admire the Ameo for what it offers at that price point.

Next, I really, really, *REALLY* loved the Ciaz for its absolutely VFM proposition, and dealing with Maruti's salespersons were quite a pleasure too. I did realize snobbishness with Honda salespeople is a thing. However, the home minister did not approve of the Ciaz, and I also secretly loved the looks of the City.

The Hyundai stable was also good - I find the interiors of Verna even better than the City. But the rear space isn't impressive, plus tbhp had mixed opinions on the petrol engine, handling etc. I also was put off by the sales guy (details in the future post).

The hunt gained pace in Dec/Jan 2017 with Honda announcing the new City, and with decent discounts on the 2016 model. We liked the SV of 2016, but still waited for the launch of the 2017 one. Unlike most in this forum, I was not disappointed with the pricing, since V MT was priced exactly the same ex-showroom Hyderabad as the 2016 model (9.99L ex-showroom, thus avoiding the 1% TCS), and came with a superb feature set (alloys, AVN, keyless entry etc). I wasn't looking at higher variants since CVT was out of my budget. Color was a tough choice, kept switching between Modern Steel to Pearl White and finally settled on the latter. A quick pic:

2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-img_20170222_165615.jpg

Quick list of pros:
  • Classy looks, especially the front bumper
  • Superb alloy design on VMT (I like these more than the VX/ZX which I find too busy)
  • The ivtec engine
  • Interiors, rear space, light clutch, gearbox
  • The reversing camera, a must for sedan-newbies like me

And cons:
  • Reversing camera doesn't have a sensor (audio)
  • Engine could be more silent
  • Slow ride quality could be better
  • Build quality - not in the league of Polos/Ventos/Ameos

Finally, THANKS to all the tbhp members for their guidance on choosing my first sedan. As a parting note, I have loved by Chevy Beat (my profile pic) for 7 years and continue to love this car (50k+ kms) - I just wish General Motors had a better team in India.
quadmaniac is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 09:59   #110
BHPian

^ Congratulations on the buy.
Quote:
Engine could be more silent
What do you mean by this? The engine is so refined that at relaxed, city speeds you can't even hear the engine. Infact, at traffic signals, sometimes I get confused whether the engine is on also or not!

Trust me, iVtec is the most refined engine in it's class. And at high rpms, the engine note is very sporty and nothing to complain about.

Enjoy your ride.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 5th March 2017 at 10:01.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 16:15   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
^ Congratulations on the buy.

What do you mean by this? The engine is so refined that at relaxed, city speeds you can't even hear the engine. Infact, at traffic signals, sometimes I get confused whether the engine is on also or not!

Trust me, iVtec is the most refined engine in it's class. And at high rpms, the engine note is very sporty and nothing to complain about.

Enjoy your ride.
Fully agree, inside & out you can only hear the 'Sounds of Silence'!! It's very refined and the despite lack of rear wheel well cladding, nothing filter's in from the outside. May a little feedback from the outside world is not a bad thing so one can anticipate if a biker is coming to close for comfort.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-img_0665.jpg  

2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-img_0670.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 5th March 2017 at 16:23.
Durango Dude is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 17:32   #112
BANNED

Okay gentlemen, I got to know this from a close friend, can anyone confirm these numbers?
New Honda City LED headlamps cost: INR 76,000
LED tail lamps cost: INR 30,000
Old 6th March 2017, 16:26   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Okay gentlemen, I got to know this from a close friend, can anyone confirm these numbers?
New Honda City LED headlamps cost: INR 76,000
LED tail lamps cost: INR 30,000
Looks like this for the entire set. For lamps alone, these prices are exorbitant. I am not sure though. Bumper to bumper insurance would be preferable for models having LED.
Old 6th March 2017, 16:41   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you notice, in this post , the facelift doesn't come with under the hood insulation that was present in the pre-facelift variants.

Maybe this has a little to do with it?
Old 6th March 2017, 17:08   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you notice, in this post , the facelift doesn't come with under the hood insulation that was present in the pre-facelift variants. Maybe this has a little to do with it?
I've driven around quiet a bit after getting the 2017 Honda City VX-CVT on 02-03-2017, I can say without bating an eyelid that the under bonnet cladding is not missed. It has an almost eerie electric car like silence, when on the move both on the inside and outside. Driving this car is like 'meditation' on the busy road, so stress free... but one thing you may fall asleep at the wheel!!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 6th March 2017 at 17:10.
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 18:06   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks - true, it seems a gem of an engine. Not pushing things too hard yet

BTW, the engine IS refined. When I said it could be more silent, I somehow felt that the engine noise was slightly (very slightly) higher than my Beat at idle. The Beat petrol is *extremely* silent.

However today I took out in full traffic, and I agree with you, that in traffic it's hard to hear. Definitely it's not a bother.
Old 6th March 2017, 18:07   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you notice, in this post , the facelift doesn't come with under the hood insulation that was present in the pre-facelift variants.

Maybe this has a little to do with it?
Even in the pre facelift car, under hood insulation is present only in diesel models. City petrol versions, pre-facelift and the current one, dont have hood insulation.

Last edited by deerhunter : 6th March 2017 at 18:14.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 20:34   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
City doesn't bring in that much on the table to justify the price delta.

In my view the frustration is completely justified. Pricing the entry model lower with minimal features doesnt take away the fact the price for 6 air bags and addl safety is at a premium.
Ok. Let's see this objectively, rather than present our 'views'.

Did a quick comparo on carwale.com (https://www.carwale.com/comparecars/...5091&car2=3776) of the "entry models with minimal features" between the City and the Ciaz. S petorl variant versus Vxi petrol variant.

Quick disclaimers out of the way.

Why carwale.com? I like their interface and use it to get a rough idea of what i need. By no means it provides accurate info, but enough to give the right perspective.

Why Ciaz and why not any other car? Just. Everyone seems to be discussing only Ciaz as a real competitor to the City, and the monthly sales figures justify the claims.

So how do they stack up.

Honda City S variant (petrol) [Rs. 8.50 lakhs ex showroom] v. Maruti Ciaz Vxi (petrol) [Rs. 7.53 lakhs ex showroom]

What does the City variant have, over Ciaz variant
  • Engine (Worth repeating. Engine. 1.5 litre, 117 ps, 145 nm of torque producing engine. Versus 1.4 litre, 91 ps, 130 ps nm engine of torque)
  • ABS
  • Two airbags (Versus one in Ciaz)
  • EBD
  • Keyless central locking
  • Turn indicators on ORVM
  • Lights on vanity mirror for co-passenger
  • Bluetooth compatability
  • Ipod compatibility
  • 3 years unlimited warranty (versus 2 years 40000 km warranty)
  • DRLs

What does Ciaz variant have over City variant
  • Speed sensing door lock
  • Rear AC vent
  • Leather wrapped gear knob
  • Driver and rear armrest
  • Projector headlamps

If you ask me, the "base variant at lower price with minimal features" seems pretty fine to me. And I'd pay the premium over a Ciaz just for the first four bullet points in City's list itself.

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 6th March 2017 at 20:35.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 23:34   #119
BHPian

Will it be okay to change tyres to 195/55-16 from 185/55-16 on the 2017 City ZX. I fed the numbers on a tyre size calculator and it says that the sidewall height will increase by about 5 mm and and width of tire will increase by 10 mm. Is there possibility of tyres rubbing or touching while turning the wheels. Please advice as I want to change to 195/55-16 at the earliest. I do not want to change to 195/50-16 as it will reduce the ground clearance.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:51   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
Will it be okay to change tyres to 195/55-16 from 185/55-16 on the 2017 City ZX. I fed the numbers on a tyre size calculator and it says that the sidewall height will increase by about 5 mm and and width of tire will increase by 10 mm. Is there possibility of tyres rubbing or touching while turning the wheels. Please advice as I want to change to 195/55-16 at the earliest. I do not want to change to 195/50-16 as it will reduce the ground clearance.
As per the up size calculators, 205/50 R16 is the ideal up size. It increases the ground clearance by 0.03 inches and does not have a high diameter variance % as well. Below are the links of calculations done for you

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...5R16/205-50R16

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

Most Viewed