Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2017, 08:50   #121
BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

For owners of the VX/ZX models, what is the throw of the LED headlights like? Do they do a good job of illuminating the road? And what about the fog lights?
Old 9th March 2017, 10:30   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
As per the up size calculators, 205/50 R16 is the ideal up size. It increases the ground clearance by 0.03 inches and does not have a high diameter variance % as well. Below are the links of calculations done for you

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...5R16/205-50R16

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html
I am assuming the 16" alloys remain the same even for tyre upsize. How does the same alloy accomodate 185, 195 or even 205 size tyres? Isnt the width of the tyre related to width offered by the alloy? Pardon my ignorance on this subject.
Old 9th March 2017, 13:07   #123
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
I am assuming the 16" alloys remain the same even for tyre upsize. How does the same alloy accomodate 185, 195 or even 205 size tyres ?
The VX and ZX variants come with 6 x 16 J alloys with 185/55 R16 tyres as OEM. All alloys have a minimum and maximum permissible tyre width, these OEM alloys can take tyres whose width is anywhere between 175 mm and 205 mm.

So this time Honda has provided us with the correct spec tyres from the factory itself.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 18:09   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Ok. Let's see this objectively, rather than present our 'views'.

If you ask me, the "base variant at lower price with minimal features" seems pretty fine to me. And I'd pay the premium over a Ciaz just for the first four bullet points in City's list itself.
I thought the whole point of this forum is to come and share views, some can be data driven and some are purely subjective opinions

The fact that you think base variants "seems pretty fine to me" is also your personal subjective view and not a data point. Not everyone buys the base variants. If that was true then manufacturers wont release 3-5 trims of each model with so much variation in pricing.

Since the point of discussion here is city vs ciaz and which is offering better value, lets pick the middle V variant of city and look at what comes closest in Ciaz. If I compare petrol City V vs Petrol Ciaz Zxi+ and look at key features only, ignoring the smaller ones what I see each offers over the other

City
  • Better petrol Engine

Ciaz
  • Seat belt pre-tensioners and force limiters. Important feature in my view and comes in handy having personally experienced it.
  • Leather seats. Significant after market cost
  • 16 inch alloys. Again significant market cost

All other features give or take a few here and there are same between the two cars. Ciaz in this case is still cheaper by about 20K at ex showroom price. You could argue that the engine is good enough reason for City and I wouldnt disagree.

Now consider Diesel City V vs Ciaz ZDi+ SHVS where Maruti's diesel is actually a more refined unit. The feature difference is still similar and price difference of city increases by ~1 lac over Ciaz.

So please tell me why my frustration is not justified to see that higher variants are commanding much higher premium. This actually gets worse with ZX on City with 6 air bags etc. Its like black mailing a buyer who is conscious about safety to shell more for it.

Pricing data points are from carwale for Bangalore city

Last edited by supertinu : 13th March 2017 at 18:12.
supertinu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 22:37   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post

Ciaz
  • Seat belt pre-tensioners and force limiters. Important feature in my view and comes in handy having personally experienced it.
City also has Seat belt pre-tensioners though it was present on Last gen city website somehow it is isn't on new website.
If car has SRS airbags then it means it has seatbelts with pre-tensioners.
Old 15th March 2017, 00:07   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
City also has Seat belt pre-tensioners though it was present on Last gen city website somehow it is isn't on new website.
If car has SRS airbags then it means it has seatbelts with pre-tensioners.
Pravint, it is possible that City may have seat belt pre-tensioners. New owners can probably confirm based on the user manual.

However SRS by default does not imply it. I am not a subject matter expert but quick search on google is showing that seat belt feature may be present.
Old 15th March 2017, 09:34   #127
BHPian

Owners of the new City, can you confirm that the new City has skipped the Aux port? There is an HDMI in to the touchscreen - but I cannot find any Aux port - let me know if I'm correct.
Old 15th March 2017, 10:11   #128
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Owners of the new City, can you confirm that the new City has skipped the Aux port?
You are correct, the new City 2017 skips the aux input.

The options/inputs you get with the DIGIPAD are :
1. USB(1)
2. SD card
3. Bluetooth
4. HDMI
5. USB(2)
6. iPod
7. Internal Storage
8. Radio
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 22:50   #129
BHPian

Dear Honda City owners,

I am planning to buy the 2017 Honda City and following is my query:

If I buy the car with one dealer and then give for service at another dealer, does it create any issue with regard to service quality? The reason for giving it to the other dealer mainly being reputation for good quality service.
Or is it recommended to go for service only with the dealer where one has bought the car?

Please advise.

Regards,

SMSP
Old 16th March 2017, 00:10   #130
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
Dear Honda City owners,

I am planning to buy the 2017 Honda City and following is my query:

If I buy the car with one dealer and then give for service at another dealer, does it create any issue with regard to service quality? The reason for giving it to the other dealer mainly being reputation for good quality service.
Or is it recommended to go for service only with the dealer where one has bought the car?

Please advise.

Regards,

SMSP
You can get it serviced at any Honda service center. Basically (hopefully) you won't be going back to the dealership after buying the car. The job of the dealer is to sell new cars and the service center job is separate and independent. Honda has a service history for your car no matter which service center you go to.
Old 16th March 2017, 11:03   #131
BHPian

Those who were thinking that the Honda City top end has now crossed into D segment category will be happy to know that the D segment itself has been moved upwards by Toyota. The newly launched Altis starts at Rs. 15.8L ex showroom. So effectively, now the Honda City top end offers D segment features at a lower cost. Seems Toyota dont want to be seen in the same bracket as a Honda City.

Overall a disappointing trend as almost all segments are moving upwards and cars are getting pricier.
aviraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 12:28   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Those who were thinking that the Honda City top end has now crossed into D segment category will be happy to know that the D segment itself has been moved upwards by Toyota....
What's there to rejoice? Current pricing trends would mean the Alto will probably cost ~10L for top variant in a few years.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 16:35   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What's there to rejoice? Current pricing trends would mean the Alto will probably cost ~10L for top variant in a few years.
Isn't it great that we are getting full LED lights, 6 Airbags, sunroof, cruise control, paddle shifters etc etc for the new C segment prices? People who cannot afford to buy a D segment car, will definitely be happy. VX and ZX are no longer over priced as compared to D segment cars, maybe they are as compared to the other C segment rivals, but then feature set is richer than those rivals. Performance, reliability etc. are a different matter all together
aviraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 22:50   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Isn't it great that we are getting full LED lights, 6 Airbags, sunroof, cruise control, paddle shifters etc etc for the new C segment prices?
Except the headlights, almosy everything else was/is available for the old C-segment prices, some even a segment lower. 6 Airbags are now offered even in sub-10L cars, so it's more a case of what should've already been there. It's a reflection of both manufacturer and customer apathy in India that basic safety equipment is considered a luxury feature reserved for top variants.

Quote:
People who cannot afford to buy a D segment car, will definitely be happy
A product is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, so yes, any premium is justified as long as someone pays it. The downside is it enables the manufacturer to constantly push up prices, sometimes moving a product up a segment without significantly changing the product, but then Honda isn't alone in doing that.

P.S. Those LED lamps look swell, but are sure to cause a minor heart attack if a replacement is required.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th March 2017 at 23:06.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 17:19   #135
BHPian

Over 40% bookings for ZX. That speaks a lot about the Indian market and why its so unpredictable and irrational.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/2017-honda...ariant-1670327
aviraj is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed