Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2017, 14:25   #76
BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Torque converter is just a type of interface of the gear box to the engine.

Traditionally what is called a Torque converter trasmission is essentially a gearbox with predefined ratios that shifts automatically and drives the wheel through output shaft. The input shaft of this gearbox is linked to the engine through a torque converter.

CVT transmission is an infinitely variable transmission with two pulleys and a push belt (which replaces the predefined gear ratios) and drives the wheels through output shaft. The input shaft of this transmission is connected to the engine through either a clutch pack or through a torque converter. Many manufacturers are now shifting from clutch CVT to torque converter CVT.
Thanks, that was informative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Reg CVT you need to confirm whether Honda has a TC CVT in the City. Corolla Altis and Micra has TC CV transmissions. The Jazz had/has a clutch CVT.
Member pravint has posted a link earlier in post no 24, page 2

https://hondacarindia.com/nextgenengineering/CVT.html

Honda City uses TC CVT.

Excerpts from the link

"With this light weight and compact new CVT with torque converter, we not only improved the fuel economy, but also achieved smooth and rapid acceleration at the time of starting."

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 25th February 2017 at 14:27.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 15:34   #77
Senior - BHPian

I was expecting the Greiz to make it to India; the tail lights look snazzy compared to the boring Indian ones.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-greiz-lights.jpg  

2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-griez-lights-1.jpg  

Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 21:38   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
City would be a downgrade in terms of power for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Everything is not about 0-100, specially in practical situations . In -gear speed is where the t-jet would trump the city. Remember it's a turbo petrol. Also in the 0-100 timings the t-jet is only some seconds behind the city even after weighing almost 200 kgs more
Like I said before, City would be a downgrade in terms of ride and handling, but not in power. Faster in gear acceleration doesnt mean that the car is fast. If i want to go faster, i will downshift. Here, a car with a turbo petrol is slower in a straight line compared to a NA SOHC engine that is a generation older in tech, shows how good Honda engines are. Lets not go into the comparison of practical aspects, where nothing can compete with City and Ciaz in this segment.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 18:19   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Thanks, that was informative

Member pravint has posted a link earlier in post no 24, page 2

https://hondacarindia.com/nextgenengineering/CVT.html

Honda City uses TC CVT.

Excerpts from the link

"With this light weight and compact new CVT with torque converter, we not only improved the fuel economy, but also achieved smooth and rapid acceleration at the time of starting."
The above link also talks about "HILL Start ASSIST" -"Relieves the stress of starting on a hill by helping to prevent the vehicle from rolling backward when starting to move" under the "SAFETY" tab -is this available in the 2017 honda City? -would like to hear from the experts .
SMSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 22:55   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
The above link also talks about "HILL Start ASSIST" -"Relieves the stress of starting on a hill by helping to prevent the vehicle from rolling backward when starting to move" under the "SAFETY" tab -is this available in the 2017 honda City? -would like to hear from the experts .
I tried this during my test drive. It's not hill start assist strictly speaking. The CVT gives you a split second when it holds the car before it very gently starts rolling back. Normal hill hold/ start assist would give the driver a few seconds before the car rolls back.
Old 27th February 2017, 11:50   #81
BHPian

Very nice to the point review, elaborating just the required information apt for comparative study.
I wonder why Honda has lost that low slung with flat longish bonnet stance. Till OHC-II the car always looked like an enthusiast's playground but they have given away to make it more like a daily commuter's utility car.
Must say OHC vtecs are still so much fun to drive. Miss mine!
Old 27th February 2017, 16:33   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Here, a car with a turbo petrol is slower in a straight line compared to a NA SOHC engine that is a generation older in tech, shows how good Honda engines are.
How is the honda engine a generation older in technology? Its got Variable Valve timing which the fiat dosent & honda has been improving & working upon this engine throughout whereas the FIRE engine in the linea was developed way back in the 1980s & only a turbo is added to the engine we get here, no fancy stuff like Multi Air. As others have pointed out 0-100 times dont present the complete picture. The T-Jet Linea can run circles around the the City be it performance, ride, handling, the poise on highways etc. Its a no match basically.
Old 28th February 2017, 22:29   #83
BHPian

The 2017 car does seem to look a lot more butch than the earlier variants.
That's great. I personally don't like the sleek look in cars but where do you get cars that look like Contessa (without the weird rear) nowadays?
Old 1st March 2017, 12:13   #84
Senior - BHPian

When I was in the market for a car in 2015, the first car i checked out was honda city. 2 USPs it had was interior space and the gem of a petrol engine. I liked the V variant though it did seem a tad over priced. Biggest downer in my view was the tinny build quality, average body part finish and arrogant dealers. Then came ciaz which was almost as good as City except for the petrol engine, and offered much better value for money. I eventually bought XUV cause none of the diesel sedans at 13lac+ on road in Bangalore seemed worth the money.

With this facelift update, Honda has brought in lot more safety and features which is great and welcomed but then pricing wise they are putting a premium which I just can't digest. 17 lacs on road in Bangalore just makes me go . Lets see how the sales settle in 2-3 months.
Old 1st March 2017, 12:23   #85
BHPian

Honda City sales stood at 6355 units in January 2017. Impressive start.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...-2017/56918141

Last edited by navin : 1st March 2017 at 15:39. Reason: January 2017
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 13:16   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post

With this facelift update, Honda has brought in lot more safety and features which is great and welcomed but then pricing wise they are putting a premium which I just can't digest.
I agree with you that 17 lacs is a lot of money and i do feel that they may have gone a tad bit over their head while pricing the ZX variant. However one thing people seem to not understand and not including you here that the CIAZ is not really a CITY competitor in my eyes. 1. it has a puny petrol engine compared to the city.
2. interior quality is not as good the honda. lets call a spade a spade.
3. maruti build is not strong enough to warrant it a 4 star safety rating. im sure when crash tests are done ciaz will struggle with 2 or max 3.

maruti saves a lot of money by using the same parts and engines in their cars due to which they can offer the economy of scale savings to their customers but honda doesnt provide 1.5 petrol everywhere. i think Honda should learn from this say to hell with the 1.2 and excise savings and just build 1.5 into every car whether brio or city or jazz and also increase its economy of scale which can be passed onto customers.

Honda really are struggling the WRV should also have come with 1.5 and CVT. I think theyre trying to price competitively but in the bargain theyre loosing the customer because theyre not doing anything new and enticing for the customer.
M00M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 13:29   #87
MCR
BHPian

So the inevitable has happened! Motor Tend has compared the Top Spec Honda City to Hyundai Creta!

Link to Article : http://www.motortrend.in/autonews/73...ndai-creta.htm

When a customer pays by the same rupee, any comparison is inevitable!
This is the same case in any segment. Why would somebody consider a BMW 5 Series when a Merc E Class offers all the Bells and Whistles for far lesser dough!
Old 1st March 2017, 13:33   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Honda City sales stood at 6355 units in February. Impressive start.

The link and the sales figure of 6355 is for January 2017 sales. Yet to see the February sales numbers.
Old 1st March 2017, 13:37   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Honda City sales stood at 6355 units in February. Impressive start.

The article is dated Feb 01,2017. It is Jan sales? 6355 was January number.
2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-capture.jpg

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st March 2017 at 13:40.
Old 1st March 2017, 14:28   #90
BHPian

So much frustration on this forum with the figure of Rs. 17 lakhs. Keeps getting repeated, as the single biggest issue with the car. Does everyone buy/intend to buy this car in the top spec only?

Is it only Honda City, or do we judge every car's price based on the price of its top most model? At least I haven't seen such strong, opinionated reaction to top model pricing, when a number of members on this forum itself have mentioned that models till V variant will satisfy most requirements, and are value for money. But again someone comes back with "but 17 lakhs"?
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks