Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2017, 23:05   #466
BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Check the tyre pressure. It may be overinflated.
Nope it's not. I maintain company recommended tire pressure.
Old 8th November 2017, 12:19   #467
BHPian

What tyres did you get? I have the normal MRF ZVTV, and with recommended pressure, I feel it's a little bumpy, but not bad at all. I actually prefer slightly higher pressure and a firmer ride (use 33 or 34 psi on all wheels).
quadmaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:34   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_d_Kool View Post
Folks,I own a VCVT (new city). The ride quality in city and at low to medium speed is very bumpy. I can littelry feel every pothole on the road.

Is this something common with Honda City or specific to my car?
+1

Check the tyre pressure and also if u have upsized your tyre maintain 2psi less than recommended.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 09:36   #469
BHPian

Thanks for all the replies. I maintain 32 PSI on all tires. Have given car for second free service and reported this issue to HASS. Let's see what they do with it.
Old 11th November 2017, 12:52   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,I own a VCVT (new city). The ride quality in city and at low to medium speed is very bumpy. I can littelry feel every pothole on the road.

Is this something common with Honda City or specific to my car?
This sounds very strange to me. I own a 2009 model City. One thing that I like a lot about it is the seating comfort. Could you please get a check of the suspension? You need to rule out presence of any shipment blocks (to protect any suepension damage), if at all they are used for these cars.
Old 12th November 2017, 09:56   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Try the Whitefield Honda. I see they are improving and I hear the same from others as well. Worth a try, may be.

Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post

You can contact Mr. Prabhat Ranjan (Mob: 96635 12266) when you get there and mention you are coming from TeamBhp. Better would be to call him before you get there.
Last time I spoke to Mr.Prabhat in the first week of October, I got some personal work and couldn't visit the service center. Went to Whitefield Honda yesterday and also got the second service done for my city. I also mentioned to the service advisor Mr.Martin about the peculiar noise that I get when the car has good speed say, 60-80 kmph and take my feet off the pedal, there is continuous noise. A senior technician was sent with me for the road test.

First, we took my car and drove for some distance, he was unable to identify the sound initially and kept telling it sounds perfectly normal. Then we found a small but empty road somewhere neat ITPB. He took that road and was able to revv the car and was able to identify it. We came back and he was supposed to take another car on a road test for some other problem. He said let's check in this car also while I'm going on the ride. I sat in, took similar roads and there was no such sound. So, sound in my car is not normal. I was worried about bend in the alloys of my brand new car (I have this sound from the very first day. After taking the delivery, I went back to the showroom asking about it and they said it'll be checked in first service). Mr.Purushotham, the senior technician said it doesn't look like wheels/tyre issue. I insisted on checking in that direction. My car comes with 185/55-R16. He arranged for 4 tyres of 175/65-R15 and these were fixed in my car. We went for another test and the sound was still there.

He said they will have to check the issue and will need the car with them for 2-3 days. I took the car back home saying will leave it on Monday as I needed the car for some work yesterday. Now, I don't have an issue with leaving the car with them on Monday till the next weekend. I'm worried if I was delivered a defective car and if that defect is major. ☹️

P.S: Mr.Prabhat seems to have left Whitefield Honda.

Last edited by LazyGunner : 12th November 2017 at 09:58. Reason: Missed a small info
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 13:33   #472
BHPian

I keep my tyre pressure at 33 in front and 31 at the back though it has to be 32-30 so far never have had an issue . I fill nitrogen in my tyres and have tyre sensors .Over inflation causes a very bumpy ride . Underinfaltion causes loss in mileage.
ToothyPetrohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 20:18   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I maintain 32 PSI on all tires. Have given car for second free service and reported this issue to HASS. Let's see what they do with it.

I also have the new city ( 2014 ) and find the ride very bumpy. What makes it worse is the area i live in is strewn with broken roads/potholes. I have reported this to the service guys multiple times and they say nothing is wrong with the car, this is how the car is. I guess Honda overcompensated with customer reports of car scrapping speed breakers in the previous generation. Knowing Honda now on a suicide cost cutting initiative they may have used some poor quality springs/dampers.

I have made peace with the car by reducing 4psi less than the recommended pressure. So i am running 28 Psi front and 26 psi rear. This is downright dangerous for highways ( can cause a tyre burst ) but i guess okay for my slow speed ( bumper to bumper ) office commute.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 16:30   #474
BHPian

Folks got the bumpy ride quality issue (almost) resolved. The culprit was indeed tire pressure. I was keeping 32 PSI on all the tires which is wrong. It should be 32 front and 30 rear.

They changed the tire pressure and ride quality has improved drastically. Just letting everyone know.
Old 16th November 2017, 21:52   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post

He said they will have to check the issue and will need the car with them for 2-3 days. I took the car back home saying will leave it on Monday as I needed the car for some work yesterday. Now, I don't have an issue with leaving the car with them on Monday till the next weekend. I'm worried if I was delivered a defective car and if that defect is major. ☹️
My fear seems to be coming true. I got a call from the service advisor of Whitefield Honda and they said they have checked everything and couldn't figure out the issue. Apparently, they have recorded the sound and sent it to Honda and are expecting a response from them tomorrow. I insisted I want to speak with the technician to understand better and he came online. He said that they suspect the issue is with transmission. They removed and re-assembled the gearbox but the issue is not resolved.

My doubts are:
1. Is removing and re-fitting gearbox a major work? If so, were they not supposed to call me before doing it?
2. Is it possible that if the issue was not related to gearbox, can their little exercise cause a new issue?

I'm sorry about the vague questions. Just that I never cared much about mechanical details of the car despite owning one for more than 5 years. Hopefully this problem will make me aware of basic mechanical details of a car without hurting my pockets much!
Old 16th November 2017, 23:13   #476
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
My doubts are:
1. Is removing and re-fitting a gearbox major work ? If so, were they not supposed to call me before doing it ?
I doubt they have completely removed the gearbox, they must have just checked/replaced the mounts of the gearbox to rule out any vibration related noise. Removing an entire gearbox will most probably need removing the exhaust system, cross members(sub frames), drive shaft and what not, it is definitely a major job.

One way to check this will be to see if your music system has reset or no. Ya ! music system. To remove the gearbox they will have to disconnect the battery because there are many sensors which will also need to be removed. If the battery was disconnected then your music system/clock will reset itself and in your case that means they have carried out a complete removal/fitting of the gearbox.

Quote:
2. Is it possible that if the issue was not related to gearbox, can their little exercise cause a new issue ?
No, nothing to worry as such. Hondas are fairly simple to work on compared to say germans which are loaded with electronics. I would just advise you to let them work at their desired pace, do not make them hurry or rush into delivering the car ASAP.

Quote:
Just that I never cared much about mechanical details of the car despite owning one for more than 5 years.
Getting a basic hang of your car's mechanicals will be very helpfull to you, otherwise some people might take undue advantage of your lack of knowledge and fool you into doing stuff to your car which is not required at all. There are many such useless services which even the service center will ask you to go for eg: pest control, AC disinfectant, silencer coating etc and many people agree to it because the SA says it's a part of service. One rule to keep in mind; NEVER DO ANYTHING APART FROM WHAT THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS.

Last edited by OSH : 16th November 2017 at 23:14.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 15:16   #477
Senior - BHPian

Had a round trip of 720 kms over 36 hours from Chennai-Rasipuram-Chennai. Car was loaded 5 persons and luggage from Chennai to Salem and there after 4 people from Rasipuram to Chennai. Roads were excellent, went via GST and returned by the same route, Weather was very pleasant with cloudy weather till Rasipuram and on the return leg there were sharp showers in a few places. The time taken was 6 hours one way ( breaks included) and ended up driving for almost 12 hours in 36 hours. City CVT was absolutely stress free to pilot and gave a mileage of 15.89 kmpl with a/c on through out and fully loaded with people and luggage. One grouse: Honda City must have at least a 55 liter fuel tank, instead of the 40 liter tank it has now so that one can make the trip on a tank full. The trip was uneventful and fatigue free, I was attending a marriage so after the 6 hour drive I was fresh to partake in the festivities without any rest. Excuse the low resolution pics; I deleted the original images by mistake and these are saved ones from WhatsApp. Images: iPhone 7 Plus.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-img_6405-1.jpg  

2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-img_6403.jpg  

2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look-img_6404.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 19th November 2017 at 15:24.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 23:04   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,I own a VCVT (new city). The ride quality in city and at low to medium speed is very bumpy. I can littelry feel every pothole on the road.Is this something common with Honda City or specific to my car?
I had the same feeling when I got the car as my old car was an Elantra with a rather plush ride; I've gotten used to it now and I feel its the trade of for better handling and steering feel and it doesn't roll half as much as my old car does when cornered and inspires confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
What tyres did you get? I have the normal MRF ZVTV, and with recommended pressure, I feel it's a little bumpy, but not bad at all. I actually prefer slightly higher pressure and a firmer ride (use 33 or 34 psi on all wheels).
I keep a tyre pressure of 32 psi when in city and 34 psi for the highway with full load all round.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 11:23   #479

I just booked the petrol manual 'V variant' in white and I am pretty excited! This is my first sedan and I drove XUV500 W10 AT until recently. So as far as the next car was concerned, nothing really managed to impress me. I took a TD for the new Dzire ZXi+, Xcent, Grand i10 and Jazz. But nothing!
And then the City happened. I was blown away by the peppy engine, superb steering feel and seat comfort.
I'm going for a PDI on Thursday
krishnamarathe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 11:50   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I had the same feeling when I got the car as my old car was an Elantra with a rather plush ride; I've gotten used to it now and I feel its the trade of for better handling and steering feel and it doesn't roll half as much as my old car does when cornered and inspires confidence.
I hope you don't mind me asking this. Given the fact that the Elantra is a segment above the City do you not feel that the City is a bit of a downgrade with respect to size and class of engine capacity etc. What was the difference between the two (City vs Elantra) that made you go for the City?

Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed