Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 08:48   #91
BHPian

Re: MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company

MG has set up this branding and awareness corner in Delhi's Terminal 3 domestic departure side with this beautiful display. The focus is on building on the British legacy. I did not notice Chinese flag or anything mentioning China.

I have couple of more images that need compression. I will upload those later in the day.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company-img_20181114_1059406611.jpg  

avingodb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 09:23   #92
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
MG has set up this branding and awareness corner in Delhi's Terminal 3 domestic departure side with this beautiful display. The focus is on building on the British legacy. I did not notice Chinese flag or anything mentioning China.

I have couple of more images that need compression. I will upload those later in the day.
Yes. Clearly they, like Tata’s in the case of JLR are leveraging the Brit heritage connect.
Rightly so too. Brand goodwill and all that.
But I still would like to see a new age/ modernised ragtop roadster from them, like a Mazda MX5 or Fiat 124 Spider rather than an SUV...
Old 12th December 2018, 11:36   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Motor SUV rivaling Jeep Compass and upcoming Tata Harrier spotted testing in Himachal Pradesh.

MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company-mgsuvtataharrierrivallaunch1.jpg

MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company-mgsuvtataharrierrivallaunch2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 13:58   #94
BHPian

Saw this car couple of days ago in Ahmedabad. Initially I though it to be some Hyundai then I realised that it had GJ-17 badge. Meaning thereby that it must be from MG Motors as they have bought GM factory in Halol.

The SUV looked good and spacious. In the first video you can see the interior also. Both the driver and passenger were very reluctant to be clicked. The guy riding motorcycle besides me thought that its a Range Rover!

Attached Thumbnails
MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company-mvimg_20181208_172222.jpg  

MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company-img_20181208_172224.jpg  

Last edited by rutvij : 12th December 2018 at 14:03.
rutvij is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 14:11   #95
Senior - BHPian

Car looks production ready !! Everything seem to be in place including alloys and LED lightings.

Will this translate into a Q1,19 launch ?
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 15:17   #96
BHPian

Any concrete info on the petrol engine that they are talking about mated to a 7 speed DCT?

As per some of the reports this is a GM engine manufactured by SAIC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_s...asoline_engine

This engine is named LYX, and reportedly suffered many failures in the US. Hope we don't end up being Guinea pigs
Old 12th December 2018, 17:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
... Meaning thereby that it must be from MG Motors as they have bought GM factory in Halol...

Isn't it interesting to note that the factory that once belonged to "GM" is now onwned by "MG"!!

Those tail lights look like the ones from DS 7 crossback and a mix of earlier Audi Q's.
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 17:45   #98
BHPian

Saw the MG SUV in Bangalore in the morning on Bannerghatta Road.

MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company-untitled1.jpg

MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company-untitled2.jpg

Note: The images are screenshots from my dashcam.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 19:39   #99
Team-BHP Support

I really am not sure whether this is actually a "ghost" tour of India by MG to create a buzz. Remember, the mysterious chick always gets attention than the visible friendly one!
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 16:47   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Saw this car couple of days ago in Ahmedabad. Initially I though it to be some Hyundai then I realised that it had GJ-17 badge. Meaning thereby that it must be from MG Motors as they have bought GM factory in Halol.

The SUV looked good and spacious. In the first video you can see the interior also. Both the driver and passenger were very reluctant to be clicked. The guy riding motorcycle besides me thought that its a Range Rover!

Video 1

Video 2
Exteriors of the Baojun 530 with the interiors of MG RX-5. Interesting !

Last edited by ATRONIX : 13th December 2018 at 17:08.
ATRONIX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 15:15   #101
BHPian

I took a picture of the MG display stand at T3.

MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company-img_6746.jpg

There is a person posted there to interact with people who show interest in the product.

After the security/scanning at T3, take a right at where the gates fork out and the display will be almost immediately on the left.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 10:01   #102
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Source
------
MG India is only a few months away from launching its first-ever model for India. Expected to be known as the MG Gloster, the new model will be derived from the Baojun 530, which belongs to MG Motor’s parent company SAIC.
The spy images have till now revealed that the interior will look entirely different from the Baojun 530. The cabin of the MG Gloster will get several elements from the Baojun 560, the more premium sibling of the 530.

The MG Gloster is expected to measure 4.66-metres in length, 1.83-metres in width, and 1.76-metres in height. This will help the SUV tower over many of its competitors. The engine options on offer will include 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol and a 2.0-litre turbocharged diesel motor. The latter will be an FCA-sourced engine that is also found on the Jeep Compass as well as the Tata Harrier. Gearbox choices will include 6-speed manual and 7-speed automatic options.

The MG Gloster is expected to be priced ultra-aggressively. This is the only way it can steal attention away from more established players in the market. Hence, we are expecting a starting price of roughly Rs 15.5 lakh (ex-showroom). The fully-loaded version, which will have all the bells and whistles, should cost no more than Rs 19 lakh (ex-showroom).
-------

Now this is interesting news. Could be the proverbial cat among the pigeons!
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 20:04   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Motors SUV to get progressive LED turn indicators, to rival Hyundai's Creta .

MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 20:32   #104
BHPian

All along, supposedly, "China’s electric-car industry is leaving Detroit, Japan, and Germany in the dust"

I love some of the leadership decisions of the Chinese - they do really make great efforts in building many aspects of their country. Long term vision is absolutely noteworthy.

Quote:
To combat pollution, the number of license plates issued each year is strictly limited. Beijing awards them through a lottery, but the chance of getting one in any given year is now 0.2%. Shanghai sells them at an auction with prices of over $14,000, more than the price of many domestically produced cars. Electric-vehicle plates are not only faster to get; they’re free
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 21:33   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Source

The MG Gloster is expected to be priced ultra-aggressively. This is the only way it can steal attention away from more established players in the market. Hence, we are expecting a starting price of roughly Rs 15.5 lakh (ex-showroom). The fully-loaded version, which will have all the bells and whistles, should cost no more than Rs 19 lakh (ex-showroom).

-------

Now this is interesting news. Could be the proverbial cat among the pigeons!

The indicative ex-showroom prices mentioned above nearly mirror that of the Jeep Compass, in fact its marginally higher. And the Jeep Compass itself is unable to attract more than 1500 units a month, In spite of its brand lineage and credibility. And I presume the Harrier would start at a lower price than the Jeep Compass, effectively slotting in between the Creta and the Compass, well sort of.
And then you will have the Kia SP concept SUV in the same space.

But how is the MG Gloster going to fit in? First, the brand name does not have any resonance in the mass market, secondly they do not have the backing that say Kia has from Hyundai, so chances of a wide network are very slim. And they would even struggle to beat the Tata Harrier, cause there is some decent new found respect for Tata post the success of Nexon and the Tiago. And they have had decent acceptance for the Hexa as well. It would be nothing sort of a marketing miracle if MG motors pulls something out of the bag!
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks