Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2020, 05:44   #1576
Team-BHP Support

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayan View Post
While we celebrate our budget *Licensed* copy of the Wrangler, some opinions from abroad.

Mahindra spent all their budget on marketing - riding the nationalist sentiment, paying influencers. Surely they could have made an effort to create and original car. Look at Tata- started from the Indica (bottom) now they're at the Altroz.
Interesting you highlighted the one article which has gone overboard with criticism. Jalopnik and even some Australian media are more mature enough to see what's on offer rather than come across as entirely condescending.
benbsb29 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 05:55   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Good effort and certainly miles ahead of the old Thar but why couldn't Mahindra give the rear seats some attention? The wheelwell intrusion is horrible and the interior trim in the rear also looks really poor. Boot space is also very low.

I feel that with a little effort and not compromising the core abilities, the Thar could have been made into a much more complete and practical touring vehicle.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 06:54   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Interesting you highlighted the one article which has gone overboard with criticism. Jalopnik and even some Australian media are more mature enough to see what's on offer rather than come across as entirely condescending.
Thats because mainstream media is subtler in criticism compared to what is essentially a blog. If you look at some of the comments though on the same articles, you will see similar criticism of blatant copying.

I like Thar but that does not change the fact that it is a blatant copy right down to easter eggs and even the design of the tail lights! I dont think we can accuse Chinese companies of copying anymore if we are okay with the Thar. I wish Mahindra had maintained some differentiation.
extreme_torque is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 07:47   #1579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
It seems like most people are ok with buying products that directly rip off the hard work, intellectual property and legacy of other companies, so long as it's cheap and it fits their needs. It's as bad as piracy. The market wouldn't exist if the demand didn't exist. Sadly the culture of unethical actions for personal benefit seems deeply embedded within our system. Mahindra benefits, people benefit but in the long run we all lose, as we deincentivize the real creators.

I wish Mahindra had taken the opportunity to make a beautiful new car (even if it had the same functionality as the Wrangler) with an original, novel design to steal the market and make a name for itself. Now it continues to be a company undeserving of respect, out to make a quick buck off the coatstrings of another company.

That’s the probably the best-looking Mahindra vehicle in many decades! People can spin it whatever way they like to but there’s no running away from the reason for that.

Thar looks like the Wrangler and it’s not just the silhouette but down to the tiniest visual detail.
People: Love it. No problem with plagiarism. How could there be a problem when it’s not a copy, to begin with?

Take a picture of a yet-to-be-revealed automobile. Add a watermark and post it on the internet. Someone else copies the picture and posts in their own website without crediting the original owner.
Also people: How can they steal my work? How can they not credit me?

There’s something creative/original/unique the photographer did there for that image to be of value and they want to be accorded due credit for it. Rightfully so I presume.

If people take so much pride for a photograph then imagine the plight of the numerous people who designed the Wrangler’s different components.

Paying for licensed software, digital content like music or movies is a rarity in India. People love their imitation iPhones. So nothing can stop people from accepting a cheaper Wrangler imitation.

I’m interested to see how this new direction takes Mahindra forward.
kiku007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 08:08   #1580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

I like Thar but that does not change the fact that it is a blatant copy right down to easter eggs and even the design of the tail lights! I dont think we can accuse Chinese companies of copying anymore if we are okay with the Thar. I wish Mahindra had maintained some differentiation.
Thanks for calling it out. It is so amusing to see everyone accusing Chinese car makers for the same design inspiration but giving a clean chit to our "desi" car maker. It is indeed a blatant copy of the Wrangler and the fact that it looks good doesn't change the reality.
drmohitg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 08:12   #1581
BHPian

So when the posts say Mahindra copied Wrangler to detail, i hope it refers to the design part only. And that too is incorrect. Thar 2020 resembles more a Jeep TJ than a Wrangler. And then when you go under the skin, Thar has a independent front suspension which Wrangler never had. Love to see that ‘Mahindra Copied’ argument falling apart. Mahindra we absolutely honour your efforts on a non mass market vehicle which other car companies don’t have the nerves to pull off.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 09:02   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
And then when you go under the skin, Thar has a independent front suspension which Wrangler never had. Love to see that ‘Mahindra Copied’ argument falling apart. Mahindra we absolutely honour your efforts on a non mass market vehicle which other car companies don’t have the nerves to pull off.
Because copying the design is easy, reverse engineering the actual engineering components is not easy. You think anyone can design a Honda like engine by reverse engineering it by going through the design of the engine?

All they have done is copy the design of the Wrangler inside out and put it on their existing platform. If Mahindra were indeed serious about the off-road part then it too should have come with a solid axle at both ends but that would have meant costly engineering exercise and some actual work on their part. As for nerves, the Chinese do it all the time and they are rightfully mocked for it and for mooching off someone else's hardwork. It takes more nerves to do your homework yourself than copy someone else's.

P.S. I am facing similar issue at work where the manager is basically mooching off my team's work showing himself busy while managing expectations up. Would your argument in my case be that his efforts are absolutely honourable and not all the managers would have the nerves to pull it off?

Last edited by extreme_torque : 19th August 2020 at 09:14.
extreme_torque is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 09:15   #1583
Distinguished - BHPian

Why are people after Mahindra for "copying" designs?

Mahindra and Fiat Chrysler have both manufactured Jeeps - Mahindra did so under a license from Wilys Overland and Fiat Chrysler did so after buying the Wilys Overland operations and brand. Mahindra has actually manufactured jeeps for far longer than Fiat Chrysler has!

It is not as if Fiat Chrysler came up with the original jeep - it was Wilys Overland that did it, the former only acquired the latter. Fiat has itself been copying the World War 2 era jeep design and replicating it in its products, more so in its Jeep Wrangler product as an atavistic design element.

So, tell me again why you want to criticize Mahindra's efforts?
locusjag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 09:19   #1584
BHPian

After the Roxor episode in the US, looks like Mahindra is purposely poking a jab at Jeep - This is India, let's see what you can do to us. The design screams Wrangler. I do foresee litigation but let's see how the people interested in the Thar answer with their pockets.
thesilentone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 09:41   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

Mahindra and Fiat Chrysler have both manufactured Jeeps - Mahindra did so under a license from Wilys Overland and Fiat Chrysler did so after buying the Wilys Overland operations and brand. Mahindra has actually manufactured jeeps for far longer than Fiat Chrysler has!

It is not as if Fiat Chrysler came up with the original jeep - it was Wilys Overland that did it, the former only acquired the latter. Fiat has itself been copying the World War 2 era jeep design and replicating it in its products, more so in its Jeep Wrangler product as an atavistic design element.

How is this little history lesson an argument in favor of Mahindra and absolves it from the fact that it is ripping the Jeep design for decades? Unless you are saying, yes they copied but dont call them out!

By your argument, they both 'manufactured' jeeps and Fiat itself copied the design of the WW2 jeep ( your own admission they acquired the brand) so Mahindra is also allowed to copy the design of the Jeep because Fiat has already done it.

So Mahindra has copied a copy according to you.

Why do you feel the need to justify and point out to people who find the design of the Thar a cheap copy? No one asked you as to why you liked the design. You liked it , you liked it, a personal thing. I find it to be a cheap copy so be it. The idea is to talk about how the vehicle has moved forward as a whole without fixating on just the design.

Last edited by bigron : 19th August 2020 at 10:03.
bigron is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 09:50   #1586
BHPian

Quote:

I believe fiat is doing it after currently owning Jeep brand they produce the wrangler under jeep brand. Or in simple terms fiat is producing vehicle based on jeep with a valid license where us Mahindra doing it with an expired license. It is good that Mahindra is producing an off-road vehicle at a lower budget than wrangler, but they could have done the exterior design on their own. The bolero for example is their own design and still it doesn't look that outdated even after this many years.
Old 19th August 2020, 10:01   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Good effort and certainly miles ahead of the old Thar but why couldn't Mahindra give the rear seats some attention? The wheelwell intrusion is horrible and the interior trim in the rear also looks really poor. Boot space is also very low.

I feel that with a little effort and not compromising the core abilities, the Thar could have been made into a much more complete and practical touring vehicle.
Exactly my thinking. I like to take my bikes to far away places with me, together with friends and/or family, the Thar though desirable and off road capable, falls short on carrying people & camping luggage at the same time

Maybe a stepped roof could have liberated some extra headroom so seats could move up a little bit and accommodate more.

But kudos and good luck to them for refining the vehicle which will remain on my wish list!
Old 19th August 2020, 10:26   #1588
BHPian

Meanwhile Jalopnik

Quote:
The exterior looks a lot like the late '90s Jeep Wrangler TJ, with the indicators set into little rectangular units on the fronts of the fenders and a lower-profile "face." The Thar separates itself more from the traditional Jeep seven-slot grille with a rectangular, inset grille that has six vertical chromed thin bars but also crossbars, making a grid-like grille that*should keep Stellantis' lawyers away.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-1597812912784.jpg  

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 19th August 2020 at 10:29.
TorqueIndia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 10:29   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fiat has itself been copying the World War 2 era jeep design and replicating it in its products,
locusjag, This is something akin to alleging Tata motors copying ideas from Land Rover for the Harrier. Tata Motors can even rename LR. It's their company.

So is the Jeep division to Fiat. It's certainly not copying.

You should also remember that using the same part or design across different products can drastically bring the cost down.

Now, does any of the above can explain the design of the Thar?

Your argument, that the Willys jeep is the common ancestor of both the Wrangler and Thar and therefore the resemblance, is valid in Zoology. I doubt it will withstand scrutiny in Engineering.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 19th August 2020 at 10:40.
sandeepmdas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 10:31   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Looks like after market grills are ready before launch. Received via Whatsapp.

Attachment 2044750

Attachment 2044751
If this is Sheet Metal fabricated, then it is highly unlikely that it would be ready so soon.
Sheet metal dies are very expensive and time consuming to make.
Going by the superior finish, this doesn't look anything but sheet metal.
Almetal is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks