Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2020, 17:02   #1636
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

My remarks are for academic purposes, I have not physically been inside either Thar 2020 or JL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post

List of examples of how you can make a "jeep" type vehicle and not having it look EXACTLY like a Wrangler:

1. Land Rover Defender
2. Ford Bronco
3. Suzuki Jimny
4. Mercedes G Wagon
5. Toyota FJ Cruiser
6. Toyota Landcruiser
7. Suzuki Samurai/Gypsy
Gwagon and Bronco are different concepts unrelated to Jeep. Bronco is more related to Mustang than a Jeep. The rest all of them looked like Jeeps for a few generations because they were derived from Jeeps.

Quote:
Perhaps to the casual observer, it may sound feasible to make this argument, that any resemblance of the new Thar to the Wrangler can be claimed as a coincidence. I'm willing to bet most people making this argument have never seen or sat in a Wrangler JK or JL model. And certainly nobody making this claim has spent a significant amount of time familiarizing themselves with the Wrangler.
To the casual observer they may look the same. But if you look closer, the front end does not match, the rear end does not match, the sides does not match - because Mahindra follows the original Jeep silhouette of Square front fender and circular rear fender. The interiors too does not match because the dashboard as well as steering (TUV?)is different.

Now what is underneath is not from the old MM540 / Thar CRDe / Wrangler but it looks more like 3rd gen (current) chassis of Scorpio \ TUV.

Jeep JL`s design chief himself has said that they were looking at M38A1 and CJ5 for its design inspiration - which is the same starting point as *drumroll* Mahindra Thar CRDe

Link to article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
While most of Youtube review from mainstream car reviewers are from Mumbai , there are also good number Malayalam reviews based in Kerala - seems like Mahindra took special interest arrange a drive event in Kerala too ?
A Major Offroad market for Mahindra, KA, TN , KA - the hill roads need a Mahindra Jeep and its tractor engine , very usable tool up there. What those things do in 2 wheel drive in itself is impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Well a copy is a copy. Lets call it a copy. I might have desisted, but to copy the placement of the antenna and Easter eggs like the Thar, camels, cactus in the desert - that literally nails the (copying) head.
Maybe but its worth knowing that Easter eggs are not a Jeep tradition, its been there before but they are supposed to be hidden. Now its fashionable as well as a way to make you pay for the original part rather than an aftermarket part, therefore most car makers has them including our Triber.

The Antenna`s circular bases as well as the placement is perhaps related to the circular port for electricity - the M38A1 spec that came after the flat fenders was 24V. Thar 2020 has it on the opposite side though in comparison to JL, probably to provide an outlet for air intake snorkel on the other side. As i said before the starting point for JL as well as Thar 2020 is same.
Kosfactor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 17:10   #1637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Anyways, this discussion has been going on for way too long in this thread. There are two groups here - one who likes the design and others who think this is a blatant copy. Let's just agree to disagree with each other and move on.

Peace.
Actually no. The two groups are one who know the design is a blatant Copy and say it so and the other who know the design is a copy but instead of calling it a copy call it inspirational, evolutionary, traditional etc etc. Let's agree to disagree.

There is nothing wrong in being a copy. And if its well executed then why not. But to pass it off as anything other than a copy makes no sense.

Last edited by bigron : 19th August 2020 at 17:18.
bigron is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 17:15   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
While, i'm very clear with the transmission choice (Petrol, AT), still unclear whether to go for soft or hard top ?
As much as I like convertible soft top and it would be my pick of the lot, I'd recommend the hard top if you plan to use the Thar as your daily drive, which implies that it will be left parked unattended frequently. While it will not give you the "wind in your hair" experience, it does look smashing, will be 100% water-proof (I hope ), and above all, will give you peace of mind while leaving the vehicle unattended.

Last edited by cool_dube : 19th August 2020 at 17:17.
Old 19th August 2020, 17:19   #1639
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be no end to this!

Anyways, my last comment on this subject -

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
So they just happen to match the interiors and the exteriors to a "T" and even the Easter eggs. Pure co-incidence? What is your definition of blatant for Chinese companies and for Indian companies because clearly it is different.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thardashboardinterior1280.jpg
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020jeepwranglerunlimiteddashboardcarbuzz712834.jpg

Sorry, I see no similarities in the interior.

If you mean the round AC vents and a touch screen... Mahindra should have given square AC vents and a round touch screen, but then they would be accused of blatantly copying Mini Cooper.

Coming to easter eggs, it is a relatively new trend in the Automotive market and is done to push customers to opt for genuine parts, in case a replacement is needed. Many brands follow that trend.

And finally, if the new XUV5OO looks exactly like the Jeep Grand Cherokee or the new Scorpio looks like the Compass or Renegade, that would be copying. I have repeated this several times now, but the Thar had this design for decades now and legally and rightfully so. The evolution of this design cannot be termed as "copying".

Anyways, as I mentioned before, we both cannot convince ourselves on this. So, again, let's just agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Actually no. The two groups are one who know the design is a blatant Copy and say it so and the other who know the design is a copy but instead of calling it a copy call it inspirational, evolutionary, traditional and do not want to accept its a copy. Let's agree to disagree.
Sure, disagreed.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 19th August 2020 at 17:20.
raj_5004 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 17:27   #1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavsureka View Post

I am getting a Thar for sure. They have done a brilliant job. The only confusion is which engine to get. For proper offroading i always find a manual better. But for daily use the petrol A/T seems so attractive.

Also, does anyone know if the hardtop is removable? I was thinking of getting the hardtop and buying the convertible top separately. In the summer I could install the hard top for better heat and dust protection and rest of the year it could be the convertible soft top to turn it into an "open jeep" whenever the weather permits.
Similar situation with me. Always been wanting to buy Thar since my college days and I think this is the version I will go ahead with. Now my heart says go with soft-top which I can open at will but the mind says stick with hard-top. I am preety clear that I will be going for a Manual option - for me the AT doesnt go with the Thar badging. If it's Thar, it has to be manual.
harmeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 17:29   #1641
BHPian

Quote:

If you mean the round AC vents and a touch screen... Mahindra should have given square AC vents and a round touch screen, but then they would be accused of blatantly copying Mini Cooper.
: I actually thought you posted these interior pics to demonstrate how much of a copy job took place. I didn't realize until scrolling down that you were trying to make the opposite point.
suneel is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 17:30   #1642
Senior - BHPian

Request one of the "ethical" folks in here to create a separate thread for discussing the "copy/paste" issue, while genuine enthusiasts can continue to discuss the Thar's capabilities etc. on this thread
cool_dube is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 17:30   #1643
BANNED

Quote:
: I actually thought you posted these interior pics to demonstrate how much of a copy job took place. I didn't realize until scrolling down that you were trying to make the opposite point.
Exactly, I thought the same until I read through the end.

Last edited by wheelguy : 19th August 2020 at 17:35.
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 17:45   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see what you are doing here. I am pretty sure you are not going to put the exterior pictures side by side. Some parts of the dashboard dont watch, voila!

I am also still wondering what your definition of blatant is when it comes to chinese and Indian companies?

Quote:
And finally, if the new XUV5OO looks exactly like the Jeep Grand Cherokee or the new Scorpio looks like the Compass or Renegade, that would be copying. I have repeated this several times now, but the Thar had this design for decades now and legally and rightfully so. The evolution of this design cannot be termed as "copying".
I am reading it as, as long as they sneak in a model or two and not their whole passenger car range they are fine and the copying is fine. And no Thar did not have this design for decades.

Again would you be as enthused about Thar if it looked exactly like the last one with the mechanicals from the current one?

Last edited by extreme_torque : 19th August 2020 at 17:48.
extreme_torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 17:45   #1645
BHPian

Enough said. This is much more than inspiration. Although I am not complaining. We needed this version of the Thar much earlier.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-jeep.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-jeepheadunit.jpg
tomraven99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 18:16   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That's one of their design principles.

Attachment 2043716

They touched upon it briefly during the unveil event (go to 22m 55s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
According to the German transcendental idealism philosopher Immanuel Kant (Critique of Judgment, 1790), in order to judge something to be "beautiful", sensation must give rise to pleasure by engaging our capacities of reflective contemplation. Well, I have "reflectively contemplated" at great length on this issue and have concluded that we must agree to disagree on the point of what type of fenders would best suit Thar 2.0. Frankly, I think it's sacrilegious to even consider a Thar with similarly designed rounded wheel arches front and back... having said that, Kant would've been understanding about our difference of opinion on this point, for he also wrote that "everyone has his own (sense of) taste".
I now see how you got your screen name. It is quite a thorough description and i completely agree with it! Just that i am a sucker for proportions and some how in all the other pictures, the front & rear fenders just blend in beautifully, where as in the latest one, difference designs just jump out, looks odd. May be it is because the rest of the car is so beautiful.

That being said, It looks complete, it looks 21st century and dare i say, looks international!
adamkathy23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 18:27   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Amusing to see people defending the indefensible. Please accept it is an outright copy and let us move on. To sound sophisticated one can call it inspiration if the word "copy" touches some nerves. But as a respectable public forum, when we take no time in criticising the Chinese for copying car designs, then we should also accept the obvious here.
Why does someone have to accept its an copy. Just like you they too have their opinion. Instead its better not to rake or reply to either side and stop this pointless debate .
TorqueyTechie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 18:30   #1648
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

Jeep JL`s design chief himself has said that they were looking at M38A1 and CJ5 for its design inspiration - which is the same starting point as *drumroll* Mahindra Thar CRDe
Interesting to see Mahindra appropriate a heritage that does not exist. Timeline of the Thar's evolution from the cj3 looks great except from where it jumped to the 540.
The 540 was bought from a licensed Korean copy (Daewoo, I think). No relation to Jeep.

It takes a lot of nerve, lack of scruples, and most importantly, gullible fanboys eager to regurgitate the marketing (deception) department's hogwash for the Thar to succeed. And judging by the responses, it will be a hit.

I know that off-road vehicles have to be tough, but the thickness of the skin of the company's design department must be at some other level to proudly present their plagiarism. With a dedicated video, no less.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 18:50   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavsureka View Post
Also, does anyone know if the hardtop is removable? I was thinking of getting the hardtop and buying the convertible top separately. In the summer I could install the hard top for better heat and dust protection and rest of the year it could be the convertible soft top to turn it into an "open jeep" whenever the weather permits.
I am exploring it the other way. I think buying a convertible soft top and having a removable Hard Top would be a easier mod. I am sure Hyderabad Hard top guys etc will come up with some options for this model.
indian21r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 18:51   #1650
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Timeline of the Thar's evolution from the cj3 looks great except from where it jumped to the 540.
The 540 was bought from a licensed Korean copy (Daewoo, I think). No relation to Jeep.
Source?

AFAIK - MM540 was built on CJ500D chassis with Peugeot XD4.9P engine.

Mahindra had also clarified during the Roxor lawsuits that they had agreements with all the owners of Jeep from Willys till FCA in 2009.

What part of the story is Korean? And what is the Korean car which it shares license from?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th August 2020 at 18:57.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks