Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2020, 13:57   #1741
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
If the hardtop is indeed non removable, why exactly didnt M&M make the roof from steel and possibly give it a hard TOP look rather than use the material used now ? It would have added to the structural rigidity as well. It doesn’t make sense to me to use some kind of FRP material for a hard TOP and then not make it removable.
Well if you look at it from manufacturing pov, they need to design and assemble the car in a single shape right now. The 3 different tops can be fit individually once everything else is complete (my guess).

But if you make the hardtop complete metal part, it would need different assembly, so you would end up with 2 different assembly types - one for hard top and the other for 2 removable tops.

Reg the FRP top being non removable - I am sure we will see a lot of aftermarket options as soon as it's launched. Even Mahindra themselves have some time to make amends and offer some more "dealer accessories".
Dry Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:08   #1742
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My God, it's been 8 days since the unveil and I still can't shake the image of a red Thar + black wheels out of my head. The last time I craved a car like this was in 2010 which I bought in 2015. This sure is going to be a long 1 - 2 years of a wait for me!

It's even following me across the internet! Will go green with envy as I see all the ownership posts roll in.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkathy23 View Post
However, Someone please help me understand why could they not provide same (Of)fender design for front and rear, My OCD gets worse each time i look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkathy23 View Post
I googled and could not find any other 4x4 vehicle with different (Of)fender designs.
Different fender design since the 1950s!

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_4786_7_8.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
I think it will continue to remain a niche product irrespective of the excitement here on the forum.
Irrespective of how they price it - even if VFM - the Thar will remain a niche product for two simple reasons:

- It's a two door

- Access to the last row is a nightmare.

How many houses can afford a niche 2-door Jeep as the second car of the house? It is not family friendly at all even as a 2nd car = impossible ingress / egress for parents, a big climb into the car, imperfect ride quality, small boot etc. etc. Anywhere between 20 - 50% (tops) of the fairer sex will be cool with driving the Thar, but the other half won't! Compare that to say, a Creta or City that 100% women would love to drive. I see a lot of BHPians struggling to convince their wives.

Until the 4-door comes, the Thar will remain a niche vehicle, irrespective of price. Mahindra knows this and will thus go for profits on whatever units they can sell. 3000 / units a month prediction? In their dreams after the initial hoopla dies down. However, once the 4-door comes, it can easily cross 3000 / month. Heck, many would pick the 4-door Thar over a Scorpio!

I'm buying the 2-door though.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2020 at 14:14.
GTO is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:27   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This sure is going to be a long 1 - 2 years of a wait for me!

Congratulations on your decision to get the new THAR, even though the 2 year wait mark will be so difficult for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
OT : IIRC you had plans to rebuild/repaint your classic this year right ? Have you changed the plan or have dropped it as a result of the new THAR decision ?

Your classic is really an icon Rush, we have to keep it for bidding in t-bhp.

Last edited by kamilharis : 23rd August 2020 at 14:31.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:27   #1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
If the hardtop is indeed non removable, why exactly didnt M&M make the roof from steel and possibly give it a hard TOP look rather than use the material used now ? It would have added to the structural rigidity as well.
I'd sold the new Thar as a lifestyle vehicle to my wife based on the premise that the hard top, both, provided safety from the elements, and could be removed, when desired for the authentic classic look and feel of the Willys Jeep. Though I love the design of the new Thar, non-removable top would make it an impossible sell to the lady in the house.
In addition, I too feel that Mahindra could have opted for a metal roof in place of the FRP top hat, which in addition to your point, would have proved far more practical with the dangling wires, et al, concealed within the headliner.
ayushagnihotri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 15:01   #1745
BHPian

The want is unprecedented! The convertible is the one I have my heart set on, but the NVH and the fear of it getting stolen worries me.

I hope the aftermarket or Mahindra come up with something like this (Freedom Top - Wrangler) and I'd need nothing more:
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-maxresdefault.jpg

Even if this doesn't happen, it's the convertible for me. This isn't going to be my daily, for a weekend toy, I don't want to settle for a hard top.
DeKay is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 16:14   #1746
BHPian

I am sure the long list of esteemed modifiers (aka Revheads, Bimbra, Surblo etc.) in India must be gearing up to fulfill the wishlist of our Thar lovers, and a freedom top is a doable fantasy.

As for me Thar effect has finally brought me to join Teambhp, even though have been a silent spectator of this forum for years.

Thanks mods for approving me, glad to be a part of the team.
Stacko is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 17:05   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar review by CarandBike

Venkatesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 17:08   #1748
BHPian

I loved reading GTO's comment that many men would find it difficult to convince for a 2 seater Thar. I am exactly there and while the other half was convinced on the day of the unveil its me who is getting second thoughts now. I wanted the collapsible soft top but it seems too impractical on highway rides due to noise. Is it really that bad?
Quick question to the community though, can I fit a roof rack on a hard top Thar? Would it need to breach the top and would it lead to sealing issues?
Thats the only way I can solve for the miniscule luggage space Thar offers. Is it practical to make Thar a nice overlanding vehicle?
justwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 18:00   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I loved reading GTO's comment that many men would find it difficult to convince for a 2 seater Thar. I am exactly there and while the other half was convinced on the day of the unveil its me who is getting second thoughts now. I wanted the collapsible soft top but it seems too impractical on highway rides due to noise. Is it really that bad?
Quick question to the community though, can I fit a roof rack on a hard top Thar? Would it need to breach the top and would it lead to sealing issues?
Thats the only way I can solve for the miniscule luggage space Thar offers. Is it practical to make Thar a nice overlanding vehicle?
You will be ok if it's just the two of you travelling. The rear seats fold flat. Even with 4 people, the sides of the rear seats (over the wheel arches) can store soft luggage/duffell bags. Anything more than the Thar has no space. Also why will you choose a rockcrawler for long distance cruising?
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 18:41   #1750
Senior - BHPian

I love the new Thar, will be a second car in our house. I have no issue with access to rear, this will be a more for our long travels. My son is three and loves long drives, so should not be a major concern with a 4 seater.
My wife is more keen than I to get this one home. But I will wait at least a year before taking the plunge.
She just got her car in the last year and my current car is 4 years old. Definitely not the right time for a change. Hopefully in a year's time, all the smaller niggles would be ironed out.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 18:53   #1751
BHPian

It would be interesting to see the waiting time once THAR is launched in October, especially for the petrol 2.0 litre AT. I remember waiting for almost an year to get the AT ecosport when it was first launched. I would think the AT would be in high demand from the city lifestyle segment.
Old 23rd August 2020, 18:57   #1752
BHPian

I was just wondering if there is a significant price difference between soft top/convertible and hard top, then would it be possible to put an aftermarket metal top in the back with a sunroof? I've seen Bimbra has done some similar work in old generation Thar. Also, will that impact new MV rule against modification.

Going further, since AX version has side facing seats, that means, if one bench is removed, then there is a longer (albeit narrow) space to pack in a few more bags (although some way to compensate for the rear wheel arch would be required) and still having 4 people on board (including driver), which could be ok for a small family. Putting a roof top clam shell tent and an inflatable bed (for sleeping inside) can make it a perfect wild camper. Would like to know what Gurus think about this idea?
Ulysses is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:16   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
You will be ok if it's just the two of you travelling. The rear seats fold flat. Even with 4 people, the sides of the rear seats (over the wheel arches) can store soft luggage/duffell bags. Anything more than the Thar has no space. Also why will you choose a rockcrawler for long distance cruising?
Only if life was just and we Indians could get proper 4 seater SUVs to the likes of wrangler in an acceptable price tag. Owning 2 cars is not always possible and the craze to have a go anywhere vehicle like Thar in the new avatar is an itch I would want to scratch. Looking for the 4 seater versions for occasional friends and family trips. Agreed it won't be the best highway tourer, but would it bring smile on the face.. oh yes. Honestly, it's a time when you want your heart to rule the mind.
justwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:29   #1754
BHPian

Removing the hard top wont be a good idea if it comes factory fitted with sealant. Reapplying sealant is a cumbersome exercise and will likely leak.

Fixing a roof rack to a fiberglass top has a high chance of breaking it. Ideal way would be fit an external roll cage of some kind to the body and then mount the rack cross bars to the cage. But good luck convincing the MVD or cops if they catch you.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 21:16   #1755
BHPian

Thanks a ton Aditya and many others for their inputs, I would like to have one in my garage but there are two many ifs & buts in mind, after going through each and every posts I had narrowed down my choice to LX Diesel MT with HT, now the questions are -
1. I need 6 sitter arrangement (but obvious the rear bench seats) to get RTO approval of passenger capacity for 5+D, still I shall purchase the rear front facing seats which I may put up when it's required, (this will provide access to accommodate my in-laws for some family functions), is this a feasible wish ?
2. Boot space only can accommodate 4 duffle bags, two over two, but for a long trip plan one will be requiring more gears to carry e.g. camping gears for a week long rock climbing session or with towing ropes, Jerry cans if planned for remotest places. As the HT is of fibre is there any ray of hope to get a rooftop carrier, even if aftermarket?
3. Now I drive a Bolero SLX 2011, & seriously praying to get a 4wd version of it, but in vain, thus I may have make it clear to my dearest forum to throw some light on those aspects.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks