Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2020, 17:49   #1801
BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

It's been an interesting 10 days reading all about something that many of us have been waiting so long for. Looks like we have something that works as stock for the most as well as an exciting time for many, planning all the mods to make the Thar their own Jeep.

I am a sucker for bigger tires, what I feel proportionately compliment the body.

I have been wondering if 33/12.5R15 can go in the wheel wells not needing any changes to the fender panels, bumper or suspension? It seems like there is some space but not sure if there will be some rubbing OTR.

Also, any information on what would be the lift kit needed to be able to run the 35/12.5R15 tires?

Besides messing up the odometer, center of gravity and the steering response a bit, what other issues are of concern in trying to make these changes?

I am thinking of the top end LX, keeping the stock 18" wheels and tires for long distance trips but swapping with the 33 or 35 inch MTs for driving to the farm and off-road trails.

As always, any help and direction is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
bolbolerobol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 20:31   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkathy23 View Post
Someone please help me understand why could they not provide same fender design for front and rear.
It's a Mahindra thing, you wouldn't understand
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 20:58   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
How hard can it be...??
My question exactly. How hard can it be to give a proper vehicle during media drives. First impression is the best impression isn't it?

M&M - If you are listening "Do things right first time, even if it takes extra time and effort". We do not want a beta product like Harrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
What he drove was a pre-production vehicle. Not a SOP vehicle. Don't take him seriously or read too much into it.
It is expected to be 16 lakhs ex-shoroom, the LX top end variant, I expect top notch quality even on pre-production product for an 18.5 lakhs on-road vehicle. They did same with TUV 300, so many rough edges, its sales speak for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
M&M should not repeat those same mistakes as they did with the old Thar.
Agree 100%.
ramnaresh_2000 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 21:37   #1804
BHPian

Having used a 2016 as my daily driver for three years with my family before selling it for a Swift and almost falling into depression, I will definitely consider the new Thar as a first car. For the second car I might invest in a taxi running Uber/ Ola, so it can be a source of revenue at best or at least something for the elders to go shopping in. That is the plan for now and it should keep everyone happy, eagerly awaiting pricing details.
spd_tkt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 13:24   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
A Thar is a Thar.
It is unlikely that these issues continue to be on a production version of vehicle which will land in showrooms. In case I am proven wrong, isn't this something a good upholstery shop / leather accessory cover maker fix for vehicles solely used for lifestyle purpose.
Old 26th August 2020, 13:48   #1806
Senior - BHPian

For the official video of the Thar's off-road capabilities, not sure if we can already claim "capabilities" yet. These are shot under controlled environment after several re-takes probably. I think we should wait for the real life testing before endorsing the capabilities. I have never seen a complan boy becoming taller just by drinking complan as it is advertised.

Lovely stunt though. One of the best ad's M&M have come up with.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th August 2020 at 22:01. Reason: Quoted post deleted. Thanks!
balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 14:23   #1807
BHPian

This car is love at first sight. I specially love it in the Grey colour. The butch tyres and the body lines complete its styling.

My father liked the new Thar so much that he made up his mind to get one to satisfy my whim. Come December, my birthday month, and we will find our how this pans out!

It also saves him a ton of money as my endless list of desired cars included more expensive Germans and Czechs.
ashish2135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 15:17   #1808
BHPian

During the launch I was more focused on this drool worthy scaled model of Thar. Reminds me of those 90s pull back toy jeeps, I used to play with, this being definitely more handsome version of that.

Was wondering what all would it take to get somewhere closer to it.
Front fascia can be easily done with OEM provided grill. Bumper is Wrangler style and can be sourced. Front tow hooks are visible in this, not sure about original product. Anything else which I am missing out on ? Ofcourse tyres need to be beefed up too.

On the interiors, most of the freedom drive videos have mentioned only the centre toggle switch, being operational for hazard light, & remaining two on passenger side as some indicators only. Can the remaining two switches on the right be used as auxiliary switches for future add on lights.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200821094835__01.jpg  

Stacko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 15:19   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing I just cannot fathom is why Mahindra is giving such a low power and torque tune on the Diesel engine of the Thar. The recently re-launched Marazzo uses a 1.5 litre BS6 diesel engine that puts out 123 bhp and 300 NM of torque! In comparison, the Thar’a 2.2 litre diesel mill (50% larger) only produces 130hp (5% more power) and the same 300NM of torque.

I am sure the 2.2 litre engine can easily be tuned to output around 170 hp and 350 NM at the least, not sure why Mahindra hesitates to do so. Even the smaller 2L petrol engine has more torque than the diesel.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 26th August 2020 at 15:21.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 15:38   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
One thing I just cannot fathom is why Mahindra is giving such a low power and torque tune on the Diesel engine of the Thar. The recently re-launched Marazzo uses a 1.5 litre BS6 diesel engine that puts out 123 bhp and 300 NM of torque! In comparison, the Thar’a 2.2 litre diesel mill (50% larger) only produces 130hp (5% more power) and the same 300NM of torque.

I am sure the 2.2 litre engine can easily be tuned to output around 170 hp and 350 NM at the least, not sure why Mahindra hesitates to do so. Even the smaller 2L petrol engine has more torque than the diesel.
The lower state of tune has been deliberate, as the higher state of tune for the 2.2 litre mHawk has been kept for Scorpio and XUV5OO.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 15:49   #1811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
The lower state of tune has been deliberate, as the higher state of tune for the 2.2 litre mHawk has been kept for Scorpio and XUV5OO.
What's the logic in that? It's not like those who are in the market for XUV500 or Scorpio are going to jump ship and buy Thar just because it has the same engine spec! Thar serves a niche market and there is absolutely no need for Mahindra to worry about cannibalisation. Giving it the higher tune will also increase its towing capacity and appeal more to serious off roaders.

I think the reason is something else and it could be just to cut costs. Lower state of tune would have allowed them to put a lower spec gearbox and drive train components without compromising much on performance. If this is true, then I expect them to price it competitively. If they price the Automatic variants in the 13-15L price range then I can see it doing quite well here in Bangalore.

Many in my friends circle (who are just entering their 30s,single or just married or with 1 kid) are very eager to get their hands on the Thar. If priced well it can seriously appeal to today's youth who are more eager to explore and trek remote places. To be honest, I am interested too I just wish they price it sensibly.

Last edited by nagr22 : 26th August 2020 at 15:58.
nagr22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 16:29   #1812
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Could be many reasons for limiting the power & torque:

- It's a new engine, so they want to play it safe. More power will come in the facelift / v2.

- Remember, there is a "4x4 Low" & this is a 4x4, meaning they have to build it for the mall-crawlers as well as offroaders. Perhaps, they wanted to limit stress on the powertrain / hardware? There is no driving condition more severe than hard offroading. While offroading, we literally put our 4x4s through more stress than any on-road driving condition I can think of (including broken roads, high speed driving or overloading).

- It's a Jeep and will be a poor handler by 2020 standards. Mahindra didn't want to give it more than it can handle?

Until I drive one, these are all just assumptions. Coming from a 72.5 BHP Jeep, ~130 BHP is a LOT . Jumping from my '97 Classic into the '20 Thar will be like going from an Ambassador to an S-Class.

Last edited by GTO : 26th August 2020 at 16:33.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 17:08   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

... It's a Jeep and will be a poor handler by 2020 standards. Mahindra didn't want to give it more than it can handle?
Of all the above, I'd agree most with the one quoted - it is a jeep at the end of the day and has limitations w.r.t handling at high speeds. Given the ever increasing recklessness of today's drivers and consequently, higher accident rate, I think it is a wise move by M&M. The amount of power on offer is more than adequate for this class of vehicle.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 17:15   #1814
BHPian

Skimming through this thread (120+ pages), its evident that all possible pros and cons of this much awaited car has been covered by our esteemed members.
Here's what I feel. If priced right, it will bring 4x4 to the masses. I have never taken my vehicles off the road where 4x4 may be required but I do crave for a car equipped with one. There are hundreds and thousands like me who has this craving.
Before this, 4x4 were either out of budget for the middle class populace or were too utilitarian to be the only car in the household. Thar 2.0 will change this. And just like the numerous car specific groups in facebook, Thar 2.0 groups will crop up in every social media platforms with owners daring to venture off the road.
Dreams of many will come true.
Hope MM prices it right. They have a winner in their hands.
Many will get this for the poser value alone and MM may at a later date sell one with two wheel drive only too keep prices low and bring in more sales. But this will kill the Thar brand IMO.
Prakritij is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 23:33   #1815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- It's a new engine, so they want to play it safe. More power will come in the facelift or V2.
For my knowledge - is this new engine or heavily tweaked version of the older Scorpio unit? I understand they are working on the other group up new 2.0 unit for the next gen XUV.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks