Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 14:59   #1831
BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

I hope its expensive, 2 door only and impractical so that only those who understand it and still wants it - buys it.[/quote]

Very well said, I am with you on this.
Stacko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 18:52   #1832
BHPian

As I'm going through this thread, I see multiple warnings by THAR owners to not buy this 'car' without test drives or know-how of what separates Jeeps vs Cars/SUVs.

I would like to request to THAR owners/Jeep enthusiasts to please guide us folks who might be excited about this turn of the century vehicle event from Mahindra and are thinking about buying it seeing all the creature comforts without know what beast lies within it.

- What is the purpose of Jeep like vehicles?
- Brief expericene of living with THAR vs regular car/SUV/MUV.
- What improvements M&M has made that if one knows the cons, can still manage to live with THAR 2020?

Please guide.

Last edited by Ashutosh : 27th August 2020 at 18:54.
Ashutosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 19:32   #1833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
Keeping it as simple and basic, since these questions are essay type.

Well from Indian context traditionally they were made for rugged terrains like farm or for battle field duties. Slowly they became life style oriented where folks used to use it for recreational offroad as well as use in estate where the owners might want a lil more comfort.

Quote:
Thar is basic as it gets, its rugged, cheap and not comfy. SUV are comfy, cannot be trashed around and costs lot more to own and maintain.

Quote:
- What improvements M&M has made that if one knows the cons, can still manage to live with THAR 2020?
Not sure if this is what you meant by the question.

If you are ok with a choppy ride, average handling, and a 2 door (primarily a 2 seater vehicle). You should be fine. Oh and brakes as reported by most reviewers is not the passenger class.
Jaggu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 19:53   #1834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Not sure if this is what you meant by the question.
Jaggu, you are not alone, even I didn't get what this question was.

A lot of people still doesn't get the concept of a "lifestyle vehicle" or understand that a vehicle can be for something else for other than for getting point A to point B

The same question is faced by most of the SBK owners even today (I have been getting this question from the time I bought the RD350 way back in 1985).

Little Birdie from MM tweeted to expect deliveries by 2nd half of next month.

Best Regards & Drive Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 20:15   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
As I'm going through this thread, I see multiple warnings by THAR owners to not buy this 'car' without test drives or know-how of what separates Jeeps vs Cars/SUVs.

I would like to request to THAR owners/Jeep enthusiasts to please guide us folks who might be excited about this turn of the century vehicle event from Mahindra and are thinking about buying it seeing all the creature comforts without know what beast lies within it.

Please guide.
You summed up the dichotomy of the situation for people like us very nicely. To be honest, many like us always wanted to own a product like this, we are not hard core offroaders and niether one with loads of money to manage 2 cars. Most of us have a family or atleast will have one soon so comfort is at the back of the mind. But the kid inside wants to somehow find solution to every curve ball a Thar will throw as a lone car in the garage. That is why we have questions like your #3 . If I am right, its like waiting for someone experienced to say, take it mate, you can manage it.

I convinced my wife to get one replacing my ecosport and since then I am only searching the internet as to how can I get a roof rack to manage the luggage and some innovation to make ingress egress easier for 2nd row (have spent late nights searching)

Because the kid in me wants to take his own Thar to Sandakphu one day.
justwheels is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 20:42   #1836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Little Birdie from MM tweeted to expect deliveries by 2nd half of next month.
of new Thar? But then the launch is on Oct 2nd right? Or did I not get the point, sorry?
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 20:44   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
of new Thar? But then the launch is on Oct 2nd right? Or did I not get the point, sorry?
Should've been more clear - these are deliveries to the Dealers and Regional stock yards, perhaps.

Best Regards & Drive safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 20:48   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I think you're wrong. It may not have many amenities, but what about the complex electronics that handle the 4x4 system - Body roll mitigation, Active rollover protection, Advanced traction systems, AI controlling the terrain management system, Electronic front and rear locking differential, Active independent suspension, electronic front sway bar disconnect, Tyre direction display, etc.
All these definitely cost a lot of money to design and manufacture.
Woah! Which car are we talking here?
Where did you hear about the ones highlighted in bold?
It looks like a wrangler, but it isn't..
starter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 20:50   #1839
Senior - BHPian

A salute to the Man behind the Thar -

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200827_204549.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200827_204627.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200827_211137_247.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200827_211132_005.jpg

Last edited by ph03n!x : 27th August 2020 at 21:13.
ph03n!x is offline   (105) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 21:31   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Attachment 2043262

I attended the Freedom Drive that Mahindra had organized today. Here are my quick & brief observations:
Spotted our Moderator Aditya in Zigwheels latest video. Check the car number in original post.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200827211344.jpg

Last edited by varunswnt : 27th August 2020 at 21:42.
varunswnt is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 21:55   #1841
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Spotted our Moderator Aditya in Zigwheels latest video. Check the car number in original post.
Wow. Good catch. I really liked both the videos Karthik did on the thar. The first quick look as well as this more detailed review. Zig wheels and powerdrift really put out some great quality stuff.

On a side note though, and not sure if I am being prudish but I did find it annoying that he is frequently driving with both hands in the air on a public review video. Just comes across as too casual. I think reviewers have followed and should be more mindful while filming content for public consumption.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th August 2020 at 01:52. Reason: Formatting
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 22:26   #1842
BHPian

Quote:

Please guide.
Will try to throw some light on this.

1) Jeep these days is more like a lifestyle vehicle, in earlier days and in rural places a Jeep type vehicle is required which can do multi tasking such as carrying loads to the farm on and off road, carrying people here and there, something which is easy to maintain and can pull even if it is loaded to the brim.

For an urban user, it’s more of a lifestyle vehicle and can feed the off road enthusiasts for their weekend off roading trips. However, if still can be used as a regular vehicle provided you look at it in isolation. The usage and convenience is nothing like a car so I would say it’s Thar like or Jeep like.

2) living with a Thar is altogether a different thing, I would say that all the conveniences you get from a regular car cannot expected from Thar for eg: 3 door vehicle making it a different thing for rear passengers to get in and out, luggage space, even the new Thar doesn’t come with any provision for roof carrier fixing. However, once you are used to it there’s hardly any difference. 4 friends out for a small road trip, they would prefer going in a regular car. I use my Thar 700 as a primary vehicle and for daily commute, Initially it was difficult getting into the Jeep thing but after a year it doesn’t matter much. For People with aged parents at home , but keep an alternative vehicle, rest the new Thar is can suit as a family vehicle also.

As far as ride quality is concerned, it’s body on frame vehicle so it will never have the stability of a monocoque design. Even the 40L fortuner can’t match the stability of a monocoque vehicle. But trust me Thar is much more planted into highways as compared to other body on frame vehicles. The old gen Thar came with a leaf spring setup at the rear which made the ride little jolty at the back on potholes at slow speeds. But the new gen Thar has been given the multi link suspension which is way better than leafs.

3) from what I have understood your question, I will try to list down the cons:

a) Getting in and out at front and rear will be a task.
b) Will have to get down every time to open the rear door.
c) All black interior might feel little claustrophobic.
d) You will have to switch off engine every time for refueling as the fuel lid is manually openable as can be seen from the pics of new Thar.
e) Soft top or hardtop (FRP type) both options are not permanent and will need to be changed after few years, additional expense to be considered.

Living with a Thar is like living with a wife, just like it happens in a new relationship you need time to set in same is the case with Thar. You need to give it time to set in but trust there’s nothing like it.
abhikb is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:08   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
A salute to the Man behind the Thar -
Good to see an acknowledgement, a product beyond mere numbers on a presentation - this is what makes certain vehicles special despite their flaws.

For those who do not know this : Thar especially the CRDe was conceptualized with inputs from this forum - Team-BHP!

It's fitting that GTO finally buys one, better late than never.

Hope the new Thar has snapshot handling , a silent surge of power and eats German cars for breakfast
Kosfactor is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:30   #1844
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
But would that not eat into the market share for the new Scorpio, to an extent?
I don't think so. Both are separate products. The next gen scorpio will offer more luxury and will definitely be positioned higher. The 4 Coor Thar will be the premium Bolero 4WD.

The Wrangler Unlimited and Grand Cherokee are both 4 door offerings from Jeep.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 00:09   #1845
BHPian

Quote:

Please guide.
I have used my thar extensively in highways and hills. I absolutely love it and I think it is a great vehicle provided you understand what it is before taking the plunge. I find people who has problems with the thar after buying it are those people who expect a car like comfort, ride, handling and braking and also who travel with more than one passenger and think that some juggad like front facing seats will solve the issue. Well, it doesn't. The rear passengers will always be uncomfortable in the old thar. (difficult entry/exit; leaf springs; intrusive wheel arches; luggage space).
I treat mine as a strict two seater convertible and very happy with it, my rear seats are always folded and I use the space for luggage on long trips and to carry my dog or utilities to our farm and a million other such things.
I was in two minds about upgrading to the new thar, but seeing that I dont really have the need for the snazzy interiors and creature comforts and definitely not front facing seats, greater sense has prevailed and I have decided to wait for a year or so before thinking of swapping mine for a new one.

Two pics to highlight both facets..utility and travel
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200827_235750.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200828_000022.jpg  

pyrodrive is offline   (46) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks