Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2020, 10:01   #1846
BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Slowly they became life style oriented where folks used to use it for recreational offroad as well as use in estate where the owners might want a lil more comfort.
I feel that is the segment that I belong at. Good feedback, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
But the kid inside wants to somehow find solution to every curve ball a Thar will throw as a lone car in the garage.
Similiar situation I'm facing with family. This also reminded me of a childhood theft of my beloved MRF Jeep toy. I adored it very much. Used to role-play with it, going on journeys in the forests and varied terrains, passing by other small toy cars I had at that time. I had this for many years then once I cleaned it and kept it on the fence wall, which was promptly stolen till the time I got back.

Thank you for the memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
(have spent late nights searching)
Do share it when you find a solution to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
..something which is easy to maintain and can pull even if it is loaded to the brim..
Kindly elaborate on the maintenance part. Apart from servicing it on schedule, what have been the causes for additional trips to the service centers?

Quote:
For an urban user, it’s more of a lifestyle vehicle and can feed the off road enthusiasts for their weekend off roading trips.

I use my Thar 700 as a primary vehicle and for daily commute, Initially it was difficult getting into the Jeep thing but after a year it doesn’t matter much.
Above are the two use cases that I & think most of us are going to use it for. I feel that in modern cities, a compact Jeep makes more sense. A commanding height and AC to keep the heads cool from all the stress of urban commutes.

Quote:
Living with a Thar is like living with a wife
So are you implying that If one does get married in life, there are two wives to deal with?
Thank you for the valuable inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I treat mine as a strict two seater convertible and very happy with it, my rear seats are always folded and I use the space for luggage on long trips and to carry my dog or utilities to our farm and a million other such things.
That is mostly the case these days. Only front seats being used. Rest is quite rare. Good pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-71gq3waphzl._sl1500_.jpg  

Last edited by Ashutosh : 28th August 2020 at 10:09.
Ashutosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 10:40   #1847
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I treat mine as a strict two seater convertible
Me too! Maybe I'll do the same to my 2021-22 Thar. Let's see. The beauty of Jeeps is how owners customise them. I can guarantee you that no two Mahindra Classics in the country are the same (mine has a brand-new 2.5L Bolero engine, the final drive was changed, and ~50 other customisations added over the years):
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-pics-stratos-9.jpg

With my cousins. Two people can sit on either side at the back (a squeeze in the Classic, might not be in the bigger Thar). The back is now like a flexible open box where you can stand for pics, sit on the side, load up with bags, have a combination of bags + kids, fold your legs & eat a snack while offroading etc. People of all age groups enjoy open Jeeps. That's my bhabhi in the driver's seat and this is the single car of mine she has been tempted to drive (never even asked for the keys to my German cars). Earlier in the same evening, another female relative of mine drove the Jeep. We were at a party so everyone was in a good mood. My Jeep was parked at the entrance of my friend's place and whoever came, commented on the sexy open Jeep outside:
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-20200129-23.52.57.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2020 at 10:45.
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 11:50   #1848
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for being off-topic. The last picture from post #1846 is of a jeep my G.I. Joe used to drive when I was 4. Thanks for fishing it out.

Last edited by Tgo : 28th August 2020 at 11:51.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 14:23   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Some of the comments here are baffling. Why isn't Thar an SUV? Its equivalent of saying McLaren F1 is not a supercar, its McLaren F1. Of course it is F1 but it is a supercar alright.
The Thar draws heavy inspiration from Wrangler which keeps winning SUV of the year award here and there. Wrangler isn't supremely comfortable either and materials, fit and finish are about okay. Almost all comparable vehicles in that price range have better everything - what they don't have is legacy and certified, proven ruggedness along with simple looks. I have never driven 2 door Wrangler but did the 4 door (2015 model) and its hardcore and ancient feeling as you can imagine. Almost defying belief why people flock to buy these even as family vehicles. The interior is/was bland, quality nothing like you will see even in another outdated behemoth like 4Runner. To boast it had terrible sound system and even worse fuel economy, although that should be the last thought on your mind when plonking money down for such vehicles. Despite all that these retain their value better than Toyota vehicles, which is a good thing.

With all that, I don't understand why Thar shouldn't be treated as a SUV? IMO it is a vehicle that has the most rights of being called SUV than anything else. At the least it should be called dff-road SUV if we are being specific.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 20:48   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post

Kindly elaborate on the maintenance part. Apart from servicing it on schedule, what have been the causes for additional trips to the service centers?
So far I have made the additional trip only once due to off center steering wheel alignment. Other than that haven’t faced any niggle or issues till now. IMHO, Thar causes more issues because of the below things:

1) It’s an abuse friendly but that doesn’t imply that you abuse it every time. Though it gets very much tempting seeing a bad section of the road especially in the monsoon but have to hold back. However, no rules apply when it comes to off roading.

2) Unnecessary mods in terms of huge tyres etc. disturbing the vehicle dynamics. I agree that a Jeep is not bought but better to be made as per your taste. However, if I am spending 10+ Lakhs I had better keep it in stock condition, alternatively get a military disposed vehicle and build it as a tertiary vehicle.
abhikb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 22:23   #1851
BHPian

A good review of Thar by car and bike with some mild off-roading and great exterior shots

Last edited by spkrnh : 28th August 2020 at 22:31. Reason: Link not uploaded
spkrnh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 01:55   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Some of the comments here are baffling. Why isn't Thar an SUV?
Somewhere from days of experiencing the thoroughly bone jarring yet equally scintillating riding pleasure of Tata Sierra to the uber smooth, sliky and plush experience of sitting in a Creta the sands of time have changed the meaning of SUV from "Sports Utility Vehicle" to "Snug Uplifted Vehicle" in the evolving minds.

To quote what I have read here in Team-BHP only "No 4x4, No SUV" So no matter what anyone says to me Thar is a SUV and Creta is a Snug Uplifted Vehicle.

Below is the world's first passenger four wheel drive car placed in mass production 1936 Kurogane Type 95, developed in Japan and considered to be an early model of what will later come to be known as SUVs

I can still see a bit of Thar/ Wrangler/ Willys/ Classic peeking from this image.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-battle_of_khalkhin_golcaptured_type_95_scout_car.jpg
darkLightning is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 12:17   #1853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just some friendly advice = be sure to test-drive it thoroughly before paying $$$. For Jeepers like us who drive old 4x4s and are used to Mahindras, the Thar is sent from heaven. That's why I have decided to buy it as my next car without even driving one. But assuming you haven't owned a Jeep or Gypsy before, you have to accept that a vehicle like the Thar isn't for everyone. It has MANY compromises.
Thank you for the heads up GTO. You are right about test driving the vehicle extensively before plonking our money in a car that might become a liability.

Having never owned or driven a Jeep, I am actually looking forward to being surprised by it and end up owning one.
Old 29th August 2020, 17:02   #1854
BHPian

This is the vehicle that would star in the Bollywood remake of Jurassic Park.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-jurassicthar.png  

TheGearBox is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 20:53   #1855
BHPian

I've been super excited about the Thar and had decided to get one of the first cars that get out of the showroom.. but going by what everyone is talking about beta versions from Mahindra and Tata I've decided to wait for owner reviews.

In case there are no major niggles I'll get it asap. Or wait for them to get ironed out.
Old 30th August 2020, 09:15   #1856
BHPian

THAR has confused me after the various reports from FREEDOM drive. I love the design and was closely following from spy shots (A very potential customer as my existing car has crossed 5 years).

But the paper spec Vs real life seems very different from the multiple reviews seen.

Steering: Spec mentions Hydraulic power steering which people love to get, but still reviewers are not mentioning anything good about the steering precision/feedback and also mentions it requires continuous correction.

Suspension: Its a quantum leap over the previous one, and spec wise seems one of the best, just sitting below the INDEPENDENT multi link of Octavia, but reviewers suggest a bumpy unsettled ride even worse than the regular hatch backs.

Ride Quality: Many are saying it cannot even match with Creta. Let's not forget the Innova & Hexa which is also a ladder on Frame chassis whose ride quality is far superior to other monocoque bodies.

So whom does this actually cater to?
1. City users : No point in sacrificing ride comfort , but some people may compromise due to the awesome looks. But then when the Novelty wears off, they may sell it after after couple of years and buy a comfortable vehicle.
2. Highway long distant riders: Again poor straight line stability, poor ride quality and average brakes, not suitable for that. I am not a very fast driver, but would like to stick on to a constant 110-120 kmph (in approved highways) without compromising safety.
3. Rock crawlers: If the "ROCK" is near to their houses, its fine. but if they have to travel 500KMS for reaching the "ROCK", and if they crawl the ROCK just 10 times a year, many wouldn't buy an expensive car for that. Better they can buy an old jeep for 2 lacs (to be used for just 10 times a year) as both will give almost same driving experience and even if new THAR is superior, its just for 10 days.

The Adventure series from THAR is a good step up from the previous THAR. But I feel the LIFESTYLE series is made wrongly with wrong engineering capability and the sales will drop heavily after the initial excitement wears off.

I can live with 2 door, but I can't live with poor dynamics and ride quality. And anyone whom I interact is in love with the design. They can create wonders, if slightly more serious consideration is given for the ride quality and stability. Engine and TC Gear Box seems satisfactory as per the reviews, though I would have loved to get the 180 PS petrol engine.

My only hope/wish is that the FREEDOM vehicles are of initial prototypes and the final version has a better ride quality/stability/steering.

Last edited by petrol_power : 30th August 2020 at 09:22.
petrol_power is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 12:55   #1857
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You mostly nailed it, petrol_power.

Who will be impressed with the Thar? Anyone who compares it to the earlier Thar, or old Jeep & Gypsy owners.

Who will be disappointed with the Thar? Anyone who compares it to same-price C2 segment sedans like the City / Verna or crossovers like the Creta.

That said, there isn't a doubt that this 2020 Thar is a lot easier to live with than the earlier Thar. It will greatly expand the Thar's appeal & market. As I said earlier, it is not for everyone though. PLEASE test-drive for a long duration before cutting a cheque. PLEASE test-drive multiple times, with your family too. You don't want to end up like so many Harley-Davidson owners who are selling their 10 - 15 lakh rupee bikes within 1 - 3 years at big losses.

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2020 at 12:56.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 14:13   #1858
BHPian

I would add that once the initial excitement has worn off then the majority of new people who are actually going to buy Thar will be those who wanted previous gen but were not able to due to it bare bones nature.

The people who don't want that 4x4 lever and are interested in Thar only for it's looks will sooner or later walk away.
darkLightning is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 14:57   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
THAR has confused me after the various reports from FREEDOM drive. <snip>
But the paper spec Vs real life seems very different from the multiple reviews seen.

Steering: Spec mentions Hydraulic power steering which people love to get, but still reviewers are not mentioning anything good about the steering precision/feedback and also mentions it requires continuous correction.
You've over-simplified this. Hydraulic = good it's not that straightforward. Lots of factors affect steering feel like amount of assist, steering geometry, unsprung weight, tire size, chassis stiffness etc.

Quote:
Suspension: Its a quantum leap over the previous one, and spec wise seems one of the best, just sitting below the INDEPENDENT multi link of Octavia, but reviewers suggest a bumpy unsettled ride even worse than the regular hatch backs.
Rear is still a solid axle. Add to it that this is a tall vehicle with high center of gravity with body on frame construction. And suspension would be set up to tackle really bad roads too, unlike hatchbacks or Octavia.

Quote:
Ride Quality: Many are saying it cannot even match with Creta. Let's not forget the Innova & Hexa which is also a ladder on Frame chassis whose ride quality is far superior to other monocoque bodies.
Innova and Hexa aim to be comfortable people carriers. Thar suspension won't be set up to those constraints.

Quote:
My only hope/wish is that the FREEDOM vehicles are of initial prototypes and the final version has a better ride quality/stability/steering.
I would say you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want hatchback like vehicle dynamics, you need to stick to monocoque. If you want something that can off-road a bit, you have to make compromises on its on-road behavior.
black_rider is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 14:58   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks petrol_power for the perfect inputs for a confused head at the negatives (in comparison to sedans or crossovers) over a overjoyed heart at the fabulous looks which want you to buy one immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
PLEASE test-drive for a long duration before cutting a cheque. PLEASE test-drive multiple times, with your family too.
Thanks GTO for the words of caution and advice for people like me who have never driven or owned a Jeep/Thar like vehicle to not get carried away by the looks.

Million dollar question:
What are the chances (like petrol_power mentioned) of Mahindra tweaking the final sale version vehicles (at least the LX) to have better ride quality, stability and steering feel after the feedback from the Freedom rides. If they manage this, the sales could go thru the roof.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 30th August 2020 at 15:01.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks