Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 13:09   #1876
DSY

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

FINALLY!
Yesterday got the chance to meet the new Thar in person, And trust me it looks way better in person than in the images.
I've owned the previous generation thar and trust me this one looks way Bigger and Premium from the previous generation. The over all the fit and finish looks amazing from outside.

The front does look a bit off but overall the car looks really nice.
The Interior looked great but the wires of the center rear break lights were exposed as seen in the other reviews and the carpet on the side of the rear seats wasn't finished well either.

I am definitely going for this one !! But in Black.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_9316.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_9335.jpg
DSY is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 16:04   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Is there a chance that someone might have the dimensions of the previous one to this new one ? I somehow like the not so broad Jeeps

While i am one amongst the several thousands who are on the wall, i must say that each time i look at this, i get some degrees of inclination to own one.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 16:31   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Is there a chance that someone might have the dimensions of the previous one to this new one ?
Check out the video from Zigwheels. They have compared old one with new Thar, including dimensions.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 31st August 2020 at 16:33.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 17:40   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Check out the video from Zigwheels. They have compared old one with new Thar, including dimensions.
Looking at the 2 black Thars at the beginning of the video - I just could not help feeling that with the New Thar , Mahindra just turned the old one into a Classic! The old shape - is really a stand out, more rugged looking (sorry to say that) than the new version, which is something jeepers look for.

It just looks more outdoorsy, rugged, and like a Mahindra!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st August 2020 at 19:28. Reason: Removed Youtube video from quotes
johy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 18:44   #1880
BHPian

I'm salivating at the thought of test driving the New Thar And my wife has hidden my cheque book, lest there be an impulse buy!
Sanjivvohra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 22:25   #1881
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Which dimwit thought of giving carpeting in an off-roading Jeep? Even my 1997 Classic had carpeting. Someone at the company clearly loves them. In the rains and when you offroad, the carpeting gets wet, stays wet, start smelling and is the most difficult to clean. A totally stupid decision.

I'll either remove it or replace it with rubber in mine.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 05:17   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Which dimwit thought of giving carpeting in an off-roading Jeep? Even my 1997 Classic had carpeting. Someone at the company clearly loves them. In the rains and when you offroad, the carpeting gets wet, stays wet, start smelling and is the most difficult to clean. A totally stupid decision.

I'll either remove it or replace it with rubber in mine.
They gotta look out for everyone, the average joe who buys this car to satisfy his whims will be expecting carpets
Rshrey22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 05:48   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Which dimwit thought of giving carpeting in an off-roading Jeep? Even my 1997 Classic had carpeting.
My CJ340 did not. Neither did any of the various CJs and MMs I've owned. So must be when they went about 'civilising' the Jeep.

Also not really asking for a hoseable interior but hope the interiors can survive an Indian monsoon downpour with the top off.

In the Jeeps carpets help with NVH. Must have been the clincher.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 09:29   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Sirish Chandran updates "Video drops at 11am" (along with a picture of Thar). So I guess the reviewers finally got their hands on the Thar and we will have a sea of reviews popping up on Youtube today. Thank God! I had even started watching Malayalam videos after I finished watching every single English and Hindi video on Thar 2 times over. And yes, I don't understand Malayalam.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st September 2020 at 11:05. Reason: Typo.
Pancham is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 11:08   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Sirish Chandran updates "Video drops at 11am" (along with a picture of Thar).
JithinR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 11:36   #1886
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
I loved every bit of the experience but when it was time to decide for my own ride I choose to go the sedan way. As I gave importance to practicality over heart For a true SUV it will be highly impossible to achieve best of both worlds, I mean comfortable tarmac scorching and off roading.
Not really. I can think of many competent 4x4s that also offer good ride quality on tarmac = Ford Endeavour (current gen), Force Gurkha, Mitsubishi Pajero & Montero etc. Then of course, there is the big daddy Land Cruiser.

The '20 Thar has improved ride comfort & I'd be very keen to know how it rides as compared to the Gurkha.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 11:44   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Sirish Chandran updates "Video drops at 11am" (along with a picture of Thar). So I guess the reviewers finally got their hands on the Thar and we will have a sea of reviews popping up on Youtube today. Thank God! I had even started watching Malayalam videos after I finished watching every single English and Hindi video on Thar 2 times over. And yes, I don't understand Malayalam.
This is one video, from Malayalam, which has got some great cinematographic skills. Just for visual pleasure.

petrol_power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 12:22   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
At 2:23, he mentions that Hardtop is removable but not so easy to remove and fit again. and also, Mahindra doesn't guarantee waterproofing once the hardtop has been removed.

Yet to be seen if they claim removing the hardtop voids the warranty.
Old 1st September 2020, 12:28   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
At 2:23, he mentions that Hardtop is removable but not so easy to remove and fit again. and also, Mahindra doesn't guarantee waterproofing once the hardtop has been removed.

Yet to be seen if they claim removing the hardtop voids the warranty.
Yes, this was mentioned by Autocar India as well. Personally, I would not touch the hard top. If I really want a convertible I will buy a convertible. Then again that is something only one can wish in Delhi NCR.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 12:58   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Is there a chance that someone might have the dimensions of the previous one to this new one ? I somehow like the not so broad Jeeps

While i am one amongst the several thousands who are on the wall, i must say that each time i look at this, i get some degrees of inclination to own one.
Yes I do - I have the brochure of the outgoing model, here it is:

Update: OK, I am having trouble uploading the PDF, no idea why. I shall try PMming it to you, else Ineed help form the mods to upload it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
The trouble is, none of these so called reviewers, not a single one (yes I watched them all) has the numbers right. Please refer to the brochure I attached. It clearly shows how the departure angle in the old Thar is slightly better than the current one; yet every single reviewer claimed the identical number saying that the new one is better.

Probably they were merely quoting whatever Mahindra told them to say; which makes me believe that Mahindra outright lied.

Cheers

Mahindra Thar.pdf

Last edited by Aditya : 1st September 2020 at 19:28. Reason: Embedded video deleted from quote
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks