Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 08:52   #1906
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Guys, check out this new thread & poll on Soft-Tops vs Hard-Tops vs the new Convertible!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:05   #1907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
OK. The bottom 'retainer' is visible. Might be the head of the pin which is pushed in from the bottom, in which case something is holding the pin in place preventing it from falling out.

Sutripta
The old design though strong does not make it easy to remove. You need to deal with the seam sealer on either side of the hinge that is painted over, a real mess.

The new design will make it easy, by the looks of it there is a single pin, welded to the top piece of the hinge and a retainer at the bottom using an Allen key or something similar. Hope the tool is provided in the toolkit.
Old 2nd September 2020, 13:47   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Right now, the votes thread shows 73.08% in favour of the hard top. That’s a clear majority preference.

I wonder why Mahindra (please if you are reading this) doesn’t or cannot make the following adjustments/changes:

Launch one variant of the Thar 2020 - a hard top, automatic LX variant, remove the 4x4 and all such aids. Make this a proper road going version with better interiors, creature comforts, ride quality, steering feel and on road manners.

This variant should/could garner huge sales as a majority of the fence sitters (like me) who will never go off road or need this ability, to buy this vehicle and satisfy the itch to own a Thar.

If this variant is a non-starter they could always discontinue it and carry on. If it succeeds, they will have succeeded in creating a niche and laugh all the way to the bank.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 2nd September 2020 at 13:51.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:26   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Launch one variant of the Thar 2020 - a hard top, automatic LX variant, remove the 4x4 and all such aids. Make this a proper road going version with better interiors, creature comforts, ride quality, steering feel and on road manners.
Then it is not a Thar
cool_dube is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:30   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Then it is not a Thar
Why not ? It’s simply a version which will appeal to a much wider audience which Mahindra wants to reach out to. It’s an untapped niche segment which may turn into gold. What’s the harm in trying it? Look at the interest it’s garnered on our forum and the potential buyers if they make this more liveable on the road.

What you are saying could also apply to the automatic transmission. It’s not what Mahindra has offered in the Thar so far, is it? Plus, the fixed hard top (from the factory), air-conditioning and the list goes on and on for the Thar 2020. This implies they want to pull customers who want a butch, macho vehicle like the Thar, but in a more sophisticated package without compromises. As a manufacturer who wants to enhance business, as they evidently do, they should deliver what the customer wants, rather than only what the purists want. The purists have the bare bones version at a lower cost as they want, this merely opens the segment further. Just because it has not been done so far, doesn’t mean it cannot be done.

Didn’t the purists also scream murder when the Lamborghini Urus (there are more such instances) was launched. Today, guess who is laughing.

It’s a matter of changing/adapting to what the market wants, rather than being a stick in the mud. They have already gone more than half way with the current product, why not go the whole distance and give it a shot. What are they losing by doing it? They only have a world to gain if they try.

Cheers
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:43   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Agree and disagree. I think the following and craze that we see for the Thar is majorly because of its capabilities. The underlying principle of the vehicle is "go anywhere" which the manufacturer does not want to do away with. The moment they do so the 'niche' tag will go away and people will suddenly not be fond of the Thar anymore.

Quote:

This variant should/could garner huge sales as a majority of the fence sitters (like me) who will never go off road or need this ability, to buy this vehicle and satisfy the itch to own a Thar.
So, basically a Thar just for the looks.
Quote:

If this variant is a non-starter they could always discontinue it and carry on. If it succeeds, they will have succeeded in creating a niche and laugh all the way to the bank.

Cheers
I doubt it is that simple for manufacturers. They have to incur huge capital expenditures, R&D, etc. to come up with a particular iteration of a vehicle. They cant just simply do away with a model if it doesnt work.

Quote:
Why not ? It’s simply a version which will appeal to a much wider audience which Mahindra wants to reach out to. It’s an untapped niche segment which may turn into gold. What’s the harm in trying it? Look at the interest it’s garnered on our forum and the potential buyers if they make this more liveable on the road.
This has already been tried by manufacturers and we have all seen the results. They tried converting hatchbacks into SUVs. E.g. Maruti Espresso. They call it the Mini-SUV. Even the C-SUVs like Venue/Sonet, etc. Now we are asking SUVs to be converted into sedans.

I think its a good idea to leave the real SUVs alone and not try to convert them into hatchbacks or sedans.

Quote:

Didn’t the purists also scream murder when the Lamborghini Urus (there are more such instances) was launched. Today, guess who is laughing.

It’s a matter of changing/adapting to what the market wants, rather than being a stick in the mud. They have already gone more than half way with the current product, why not go the whole distance and give it a shot. What are they losing by doing it? They only have a world to gain if they try.

Cheers
Like I mentioned above, the underlying principle of the Urus remained the same. Its FAST. They did make an SUV out of a supercar but they retained its original character. They could have launched a slow Urus with Land Cruiser like qualities but they did not, right?

Last edited by Pancham : 2nd September 2020 at 15:57.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:58   #1912
BHPian

Quote:
Right now, the votes thread shows 73.08% in favour of the hard top. That’s a clear majority preference.

I wonder why Mahindra (please if you are reading this) doesn’t or cannot make the following adjustments/changes:

Cheers
While I get your point in having a 2WD in jeep 3door avatar, without a 4x4, there is no identity to the Thar! If one is looking for a 2WD vehicle then there are other, better alternatives, TUV, XUV300, XUV500 etc etc
Old 2nd September 2020, 16:37   #1913
BHPian

A Thar without 4x4 is like buying an iphone without apple logo on it. Plus 4x2 wont have much takers in the market, hence economies of scale won't work out either for M&M.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 17:22   #1914
BHPian

4X4 and other off-road capabilities is what makes the thar, Thar! If we are removing that then it’s like removing the teeth of a tiger, we are asking for a Mahindra Seltos. These soft roaders are dime a dozen. We are having too much watering down of cars and SUVs and end up with a contraption that is neither. I really hope the Thar continues to be true to it’s blood.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 17:53   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
So, basically a Thar just for the looks.

Exactly my point. I said one variant, not all, a no compromises, proper road going variant. The normal one for rock crawlers etc would remain.

Seeing by the various posts on the forum, there are many who want to buy it, but, don’t want to live with “compromises” as the hard core purists call it.

I doubt it is that simple for manufacturers. They have to incur huge capital expenditures, R&D, etc. to come up with a particular iteration of a vehicle. They cant just simply do away with a model if it doesnt work.

I am talking about removing features, not adding to them. Even the mighty Fortuner has a 4x4 and a 4x2 variant on sale.

Like I mentioned above, the underlying principle of the Urus remained the same. Its FAST. They did make an SUV out of a supercar but they retained its original character. They could have launched a slow Urus with Land Cruiser like qualities but they did not, right?
Well the purists did not think so (as per the media), they criticised everything about the Urus and mainly the idea of Lamborghini making a SUV. After it’s become a success, justifications are being made. You could say it’s accepted in people’s minds after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
While I get your point in having a 2WD in jeep 3door avatar, without a 4x4, there is no identity to the Thar! If one is looking for a 2WD vehicle then there are other, better alternatives, TUV, XUV300, XUV500 etc etc
Venku, the identity/idea is nothing but perception in people’s minds. As I mentioned earlier, what about air-conditioning, automatic transmission, isn’t that going against what the Thar stood for, a bare bones rock crawler, go anywhere vehicle.

A person in love with the Thar 2020 looks and presence is not going to look at the XUV etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
A Thar without 4x4 is like buying an iphone without apple logo on it. Plus 4x2 wont have much takers in the market, hence economies of scale won't work out either for M&M.
So the Fortuner’s sold in the 4x2 variant are what? Chopped cheese? . Not sure, but I read somewhere, the Fortuner 4x2 variant outsells the 4x4 variant.

Going by the numerous posts just on our forum, it’s plain to see that a market exists for a road going Thar without compromises for people who don’t want to climb mountains or rocky terrain. Just want a Thar to drive comfortably, with it’s to die for looks.

Guys, I am talking about an idea, a concept which could take off or not. Again, just because it’s not been done before, doesn’t mean it cannot be done.

All of you are more or less against the idea more than anything else. It seems to you folks that somehow the Thar would become less of vehicle, simply because they added a softer variant. Please think about this aspect.

I would love to know what Mr. Anand Mahindra thinks of this idea. I am not on Facebook, Twitter etc or I would surely put it out there and hear his thoughts. I believe he is very active on social media.

Nothing more from my side on my “idea”

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 2nd September 2020 at 17:54.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 18:37   #1916
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am talking about an idea, a concept which could take off or not. Again, just because it’s not been done before, doesn’t mean it cannot be done.

All of you are more or less against the idea more than anything else. It seems to you folks that somehow the Thar would become less of vehicle, simply because they added a softer variant. Please think about this aspect.
There was a vehicle like this once upon a time with a similar grill as well.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-trekker.jpg

I get your point friend. You are looking at a Bronco Sport, Maybe a Thar-looking XUV3OO or a Range Rover Evoque convertible on the higher end of the scale. A personal onroad vehicle that is not a sports car - VW Thing etc etc.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 18:40   #1917
BHPian

Quote:
Well the purists did not think so (as per the media), they criticised everything about the Urus and mainly the idea of Lamborghini making a SUV. After it’s become a success, justifications are being made. You could say it’s accepted in people’s minds after the fact.

Venku, the identity/idea is nothing but perception in people’s minds. As I mentioned earlier, what about air-conditioning, automatic transmission, isn’t that going against what the Thar stood for, a bare bones rock crawler, go anywhere vehicle.

A person in love with the Thar 2020 looks and presence is not going to look at the XUV etc etc.

Cheers
Well, many people including me had to stay away from the previous Gen Thar for the missing creature comforts like a A/c, front-facing rear seats, hardtop, touchscreen infotainment,etc which people had to get it done after-market.
Now imagine taking the 2020 Thar to Leh or Spiti in total comfort to the previous gen barebone Thar, and you will see why Mahindra upped the ante and got us an all new Thar ground-up
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:27   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
Well, many people including me had to stay away from the previous Gen Thar for the missing creature comforts like a A/c, front-facing rear seats, hardtop, touchscreen infotainment,etc which people had to get it done after-market.
Now imagine taking the 2020 Thar to Leh or Spiti in total comfort to the previous gen barebone Thar, and you will see why Mahindra upped the ante and got us an all new Thar ground-up
I thought there won’t be anything constructive to add to my earlier posts, however, thank you Venku for your post which gives me a perfect platform to add more clarity to my idea.

Completely understand your thought process as illustrated above! Now, hope you can understand where I am coming from.

Why not a Thar for us folks who have no interest in going to Spiti or Leh, but want a simple 4x2 Thar for travelling on our pot hole ridden roads with even better interiors, ride, handling and steering feel. A road going Thar with no compromises, great looks, presence and around the 15-16 lakh on road price.

If one variant is sold as above, I am sure there will be lots of takers as most people are not going to Spiti or Leh, just want to drive around in a Thar in relative crossover comfort.

This type of variant will not demean the Thar as you look at it, it merely gives it a wider appeal and possibly more sales.

Mr. Mahindra, hope you are reading this

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:52   #1919
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, let's get back to the 2020 Thar please. Enough with the 4x2 discussion. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:18   #1920
BHPian

Its been such a long time since such an interest level has been generated by a product launch ! Three Cheers to Mahindra !

I really was looking forward to a more detailed review of the Thar, and not just one of a longer duration. Everyone seems to be comparing this with the old thar whereas the relevant question would be how it fares against the posers in the 10 to 20 lakh range. Which areas does it lag behind and which areas does it match up and exceed them?

I really hope this brute of an SUV from Mahindra lives up to the expectations of an everyday user who will willingly take it for its sheer off road supremacy and make peace with its on road shortcomings.

Looking forward to Team BHP details on the Thar !!
Dieselite is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed