Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 16:19   #1936
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Very beautifully made video. However, this is a review vehicle and sad to see the reviewer standing on the bonet. I am sure he will not do such thing on his own vehicle. This is a bit unprofessional. Typical indian mentality. People abuse TD vehicles and review vehicles in India as it is nothing wrong.
I know what you mean and would have agreed if it had been any other vehicle. But somehow to me standing on the bonnet of a jeep does not rankle me. It seems ok and almost underpins its rough and tough character. I own an ADV bike and I’ve stood on the seat, seat and tank etc - it’s just the nature of the beast. (In fact Bret tkacs has a video where he walks all over his adventure bike as a balancing tutorial). I think I would be ok with doing that if I owned a Thar too.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 16:28   #1937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
...I think I would be ok with doing that if I owned a Thar too.
Not with my shoes on though. I cannot tolerate swirl marks (all my cars are black) - and the thought of scratching the hood with the shoe gives me jitters!

I'll definitely be on the hood - without my shoes and after ensuring my legs are "scratch-proof"
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 18:17   #1938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Did M&M send a car to Team-BHP for a review?
Million Rupee question.

Thanks for sharing the awesome video. Better camera work than the giants of the industry
Old 5th September 2020, 18:56   #1939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
As I'm going through this thread, I see multiple warnings by THAR owners to not buy this 'car' without test drives or know-how of what separates Jeeps vs Cars/SUVs.

I would like to request to THAR owners/Jeep enthusiasts to please guide us folks who might be excited about this turn of the century vehicle event from Mahindra and are thinking about buying it seeing all the creature comforts without know what beast lies within it.

- What is the purpose of Jeep like vehicles?
- Brief expericene of living with THAR vs regular car/SUV/MUV.
- What improvements M&M has made that if one knows the cons, can still manage to live with THAR 2020?

Please guide.
Living with a 2012 Thar (The Red One | My Thar'd... err...Third Car) for the last 3 years. What separates Jeeps / Thar-like vehicles from cars/SUVs is the extra effort of ownership! Like many said, it's a lifestyle vehicle - which has been discussed a long time ago (Lifestyle Vehicles in India: What are these? Your opinions please.).
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 19:39   #1940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post

I would like to request to THAR owners/Jeep enthusiasts to please guide us folks who might be excited about this turn of the century vehicle event from Mahindra and are thinking about buying it seeing all the creature comforts without know what beast lies within it.

- What is the purpose of Jeep like vehicles?
- Brief expericene of living with THAR vs regular car/SUV/MUV.
- What improvements M&M has made that if one knows the cons, can still manage to live with THAR 2020?
Ashutosh, I'll try to answer your queries by giving my own example. We have a 2017 Thar and a 2017 XUV500 AWD at home in Coorg. Roads are 4 WD type in our area.

The XUV is used only when I need to take my parents out or I need to make a long distance trip.It has done almost 38000km while the Thar has done 15000km in the same period. The Thar which replaced a MM550 is used for all estate work and local running around.

Would I buy the 2020 Thar. No, because it will not be able to do the same job as the Gen 1.2 which in turn cannot do everything that the MM550 could do. All this while every newer version made it more comfortable to drive around by adding creature comforts like power steering and air conditioning. The 2020 Thar has raised this bar to higher levels but at the cost of its utility. The new AX variant will drive better than the Gen 1.2 but I doubt if it's utility value would be the same. The LX variant has all the bells and whistles but will not be as comfortable as any other car.
Zen Av8r is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 23:37   #1941
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw three new Thars today in Gurgaon, one in Galaxy Grey, one is Red Rage and one in Mystic Copper, all three hard top variants.

The Thar looks beautiful, it is handsome and has plenty of road presence. And it literally flies off, saw these taking off as soon as the traffic light turned green. The grey and red ones really look great.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200906_17190201.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200906_171930012.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200906_17202701.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200906_17264801.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200906_171922012.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200906_17203101.jpeg
//M is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 07:10   #1942
BHPian

Lovely pictures, thanks for the clicks and sharing. A new poll regarding the favourite colour option/choice would be great.
Stacko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 09:58   #1943
Senior - BHPian

I could never say this about a beige color, but that Rocky Beige seems really great on Thar.

Most of the media drives and reviews were on red Thars and that looks really eye catching, which is suitable for such events, but if I am to buy Thar it will be in that beige shade or the Aquamarine.
Old 7th September 2020, 10:37   #1944
BHPian

I for one would like to see Rocky beige as well. Correct me if I am wrong but seems like, all the YouTube reviews have mostly featured Red, Copper, Aquamarine, Grey and black. Haven’t seen much of Rocky beige anywhere. Lack of its appearance in media and freedom drive, has made me more curious about this particular shade.

Last edited by Stacko : 7th September 2020 at 10:41.
Old 7th September 2020, 12:27   #1945
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
This is an interesting video about the Thar I found on YouTube. It’s by xbhp. It’s less of a review of the 2020 Thar and more about how aspirational the brand Thar is
Excellent video! Thanks for sharing. I have always admired Sunny's creativity and he has really captured the essence of the Jeep. I liked his comment on how the Thar will appeal to luxury car owners, as well as rural India folk. An AMG-owner told me yesterday of how he loves the 2020 Thar and feels like getting one.

Not a review, yet it's the best video I've seen on the Thar yet.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:35   #1946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
A salute to the Man behind the Thar -
Couldn't control myself to post this video i created on Behram Sir with inputs from his colleagues, friends and family. It also has few pictures of team behind first prototype and few original sketches.
Feels so good to see Behram sir is getting looooong due credit from M&M.

Shubhendra is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:41   #1947
BHPian

Off-road review for the new Thar. Doesn't really look like off road to me (but my knowledge about off roading is non-existent).

Note: It's in Malayalam.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 15:30   #1948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
A salute to the Man behind the Thar -

Attachment 2048501
Remembered an old post where the entire Thar team was introduced:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post1779020 (Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010)
low_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 17:11   #1949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Off-road review for the new Thar. Doesn't really look like off road to me (but my knowledge about off roading is non-existent).
Rather a review, that looks to be more an ad for his own channel and that dirt school with little off-roading and more focus on cinematography and editing. Even a Nano could go through those "off roading" what is shown in that video.
Not sure why most of these reviewers are focusing on creating ad-like videos with music and insane camera angles. Aren't those M&M's job? Focus on getting the thing tested as you got hold of these test samples and get us real good feedback. Seems everyone is busy getting subscriber hits on to their channels.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 7th September 2020 at 17:14.
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 19:36   #1950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Rather a review, that looks to be more an ad for his own channel and that dirt school with little off-roading and more focus on cinematography and editing. Even a Nano could go through those "off roading" what is shown in that video.
Not sure why most of these reviewers are focusing on creating ad-like videos with music and insane camera angles. Aren't those M&M's job? Focus on getting the thing tested as you got hold of these test samples and get us real good feedback. Seems everyone is busy getting subscriber hits on to their channels.
Why not? Atleast we got a vehicle now in our accessible limits to show off and boast about. I have been following many offroad expedition videos of westerners showing off their highly modded wranglers, hummers, jimnys and hilux and always wonder will it ever be possible for people like us to do the same with same kind of vehicles which are affordable to most of us. Atleast Thar is a beacon of hope for all of us to do similiar kind of amazing overlanding trips and expeditions to the amazing nature our land bestows. Just follow the Youtube channel "Trailrecon" and iam sure many here will have goosebumps. . Mind you, they too are aamadmis in their own respective countries like most of us.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed