Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 19:15   #1951
BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
This is an interesting video about the Thar I found on YouTube.

Cheers!
Not a biker but feeling to own a thar is exactly similar. This is more of a aspirational thing rather than review based decision. For a practical car it has flaws but in a classic case of heart over head, will buy it for sure.

Finally a petrol Thar that too with AT, can’t get any better than that!
Old 8th September 2020, 19:57   #1952
VRJ
BHPian

Cross posting this from the Hard-top vs Soft-top thread as my question remains unanswered.

Although the convertible is a tempting proposition, I do have a couple of doubts, which the soft top owners could answer:

1. Do you actually get the wind in the face feeling that M&M are marketing? Doesn’t the windshield block the air from hitting your face? I’ve personally never drove a convertible, the closest I got is driving a car with a panoramic sunroof. I was expecting the wind to hit my face, but absolutely zero. Even in the back seat I couldn’t feel the wind. The reason being the wind deflector that was placed at an angle that diverted all the air up and none in to the cabin. The Thar has no wind deflector, however, the windshield is probably taller than the passenger, thus blocking the wind from hitting your face. What am I missing? Of course, you get wind in your face when the windows are rolled down, but what’s special with the convertible/open-top?

2. Apart from the security issues and the cabin not staying cool during summers, does the smoke/smell while in traffic enter the cabin on a soft top? It probably does because if the AC is leaking out, the outside air would also find a way to come in. But, how bad is it? AC + foul smell is a horrible combination. This could be a major con for me personally. Reminds me of this thread that GTO started:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...y-bad-you.html (Driving with the windows down is really bad for you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Finally a petrol Thar that too with AT, can’t get any better than that!
Is there any reason for picking the petrol AT? Is it because you live in Delhi and you have the 10 year diesel ban thing? Or maybe you hate a diesel engines clutter? I ask this because the AT petrol is going to return abysmal fuel efficiency numbers. We all know that Torque Converters have a drinking problem and when paired with a torquey petrol engine, it is going to return single digit numbers. Even horrible when off-roading. My personal pick is the diesel AT. I personally find it hard to digest single digit fuel efficiency numbers. If i ever purchase a petrol AT, it has to be a hybrid like the Camry. Maybe I'm spoilt by the kmpl that my diesel MT Fortuner (11 in the city, 13-14 on highways) and Baleno (16-18 in the city, I don't take this tin-can on the highways, not being rude, but it's a fact) return.

Cheers!

Last edited by VRJ : 8th September 2020 at 20:09.
Old 8th September 2020, 20:22   #1953
BHPian

Quote:

Is there any reason for picking the petrol AT? Is it because you live in Delhi and you have the 10 year diesel ban thing? Or maybe you hate a diesel engines clutter? I ask this because the AT petrol is going to return abysmal fuel efficiency numbers. We all know that Torque Converters have a drinking problem and when paired with a torquey petrol engine, it is going to return single digit numbers. Even horrible when off-roading. My personal pick is the diesel AT. I personally find it hard to digest single digit fuel efficiency numbers. If i ever purchase a petrol AT, it has to be a hybrid like the Camry. Maybe I'm spoilt by the kmpl that my diesel MT Fortuner (11 in the city, 13-14 on highways) and Baleno (16-18 in the city, I don't take this tin-can on the highways, not being rude, but it's a fact) return.

Cheers!
Live in Delhi and absolutely hate the 10 year rule. I also own Rapid TDI DSG and will have to give it up after 5 years. Hate the thought of that. Plus my running is not that much so wish to keep any car for at least 15 years. I bought Rapid Diesel because in Petrol DSG was not available back then.

My only slight concern is do Mahindra even know how to make a solid Petrol engine, I thought they were diesel engine manufacturers. Probably fellow Bhpians can shed light on Mahindra petrol engine capability.
Old 8th September 2020, 20:45   #1954
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
From what I hear, more or less confirmed.

If you had to speculate a timeline on this, any sense of when they might bring it? (4 door version)

Thanks.
Old 8th September 2020, 22:48   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you actually get the wind in the face feeling that M&M are marketing?
I don't think they literally meant it, just like "destroying Newton's laws of gravity"
Old 9th September 2020, 12:20   #1956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Atleast Thar is a beacon of hope for all of us to do similiar kind of amazing overlanding trips and expeditions to the amazing nature our land bestows. Just follow the Youtube channel "Trailrecon" and iam sure many here will have goosebumps. . Mind you, they too are aamadmis in their own respective countries like most of us.
An overland vehicle needs a larger size, a longer wheelbase and longer load deck behind the second row either open \ closed is required. A dual cab pickup truck (Vcross, Getaway, Xenon) would make a good overland vehicle in its segment. Thar 2020 is a more refined Jeep that is all it is meant to be.

~ 10L INR per annum is considered poverty threshold for a single individual in States , we are a world apart.

Quote:
2. Apart from the security issues and the cabin not staying cool during summers, does the smoke/smell while in traffic enter the cabin on a soft top? It probably does because if the AC is leaking out, the outside air would also find a way to come in. But, how bad is it? AC + foul smell is a horrible combination. This could be a major con for me personally.
How the soft top of 2020 Thar is remains to be seen, the older one fits well and wont let any noticeable amount of dust or smoke inside in traffic, sure a soft top wont be well sealed as a hard top but its not a deal breaker either.

The AC will take longer to cool on hot summer days but it will do the job. Cars do let in a bit of outside air by design these days even in re-circulation mode.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 03:00   #1957
VRJ
BHPian

Review by Ashish. He gave it a score of 10/10. He’s got no complaints about the Thar, including the ride quality (which our Aditya found a bit stiff) and brakes (which other reviewers complained). I’m tired and vexed watching car reviews on YouTube. Eagerly waiting for the Team-BHP’s review to make my purchase decision.

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 09:14   #1958

Mahindra Thar pricing leaked
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img20200910wa0002.jpg  

jobug is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 09:45   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobug View Post
That's a sweet pricing if this is indeed true.

I am considering an LX hardtop version, however, confused between Diesel & Petrol versions. Reasons being the following:
1. Mahindra is known to be a strong Diesel engine manufacturer, Petrol engines are still to stand the test of time
2. However, Petrol engines are more powerful than the diesel

Any views...?
alabjarus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 09:51   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would love this to be true but it does not make any sense. How is the auto Petrol more expensive than the auto Diesel whereas manual diesel is dearer than the manual petrol.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 10:38   #1961
Distinguished - BHPian

The top-end diesel auto should be more expensive than the top-end petrol unless Mahindra has been reading the forum and has seen more demand for the Petrol Auto hard top!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 10:50   #1962
Senior - BHPian

Making of the Mahindra Thar TVC in Ladakh

Earlier, Mahindra had released a video showcasing the new Thar's off-road capabilities, which was filmed on a private test track. The official TVC though is being filmed in Ladakh.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar.jpg

The new Thar is offered in two trims - AX (Adventure Series) and LX (Lifestyle Series) and comes with a soft top or a hard top. Both variants can be seen in this image.

The new Thar is based on the Gen3 chassis. It is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder mStallion petrol that produces 150 BHP and 320 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel that makes 130 BHP and 320 Nm. Both engines are available with either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission. Four-wheel drive with a manual shift transfer case is standard across all variants.

The next generation Thar will be launched on October 2, 2020.

Thanks to Theja Reddy for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Source
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 11:12   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Wow! This is actually great to see a manufacturer taking the effort to shoot a 30-60 sec TVC in Ladakh and that too during the pandemic. This makes me feel Mahindra has their heart in the product. Good signs!
Old 10th September 2020, 11:56   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hardop, very capable diesel with auto 'box, proven offroad creds, incredible looks, all under 12.5l - where do I sign up?!

Seems too good to be true? But if not, holy moly Mahindra!
Old 10th September 2020, 12:04   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The new Thar does look big!
The perspective is clear in the top image showing the (Red and Black) Thar's stance relative to the Innova.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks