Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2020, 14:32   #2011
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Can some experienced jeep users throw light on usable mods for luggage capacity. I have a almost 10 yr old first gen figo. Have decided to retain it as city and intercity commuter. Fed up of searching used 4x4 for touring purpose in namma bengaluru.
My requirements are 4x4, safe and long distance touring potential with family( me, wife, 9yr old + a toddler).
Since I missed buying new gypsy and duster awd and they are no longer available now, serioulsy contemplating on new thar hard top.

But the luggage scenario is a serious downer. Waiting to see the car in real to make a decision.

For comfortable long distance touring and this being almost your only car (since Figo is 10 yrs old) I would suggest you consider more practical / comfortable options like harrier, seltos / creta used v cross, used fortuner / endeavour etc, used compass 4x4 etc. In a few years, maybe you can flip your Figo for a used Thar.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 14:43   #2012
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
For comfortable long distance touring...
Just a follow up question on that, what comfort factor do we miss in this Thar? With all those nice interiors, high quality fabrics, better seats, suspension upgrades (I guess), etc.. - why would Thar not be preferred as a long distance travel option for ~4 people? Just trying to understand.

Yes, the obvious downsides are there:

- Less luggage space
- Ingress/Egress for rear passengers

But apart from that?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 13th September 2020 at 14:57.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 14:52   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

- Less luggage space

But apart from that?
As per the driving impressions on this thread, Page 86 (mentioned in title), the ride is choppy. Touring would include highway runs with varying road surfaces. I believe that it would play spoilsport in longer runs. Luggage might be manageable, but bouncy ride for longer durations will cause fatigue and may cause back pain.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 15:35   #2014
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just a follow up question on that, what comfort factor do we miss in this Thar? With all those nice interiors, high quality fabrics, better seats, suspension upgrades (I guess), etc.. - why would Thar not be preferred as a long distance travel option for ~4 people? Just trying to understand.

- Less luggage space

But apart from that?
Well, it’s a 2 door Jeep and those two points you listed are big enough. We’re talking about 3 passengers PLUS a toddlers (traveling toddlers can need a lot of luggage space. I would also want a car that feels a lot safer, has isofix seats for a small child (can you imagine putting a car seat in the back of a 2 door). For that kind of family profile with long distance traveling aspirations I just do not see the Thar as practical enough. Can you work with it? Of course - you can work with anything. But it would be FAR from optimum, specially when you have capable family SUVs like seltos at stones throw in pricing.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 16:09   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
Old Thar owners right now.
Attachment 2054178

Hell no. They cant give out 150bhp at 12 lakhs. Does not compute. The old Thar had Maruti 800 type wiper control stalks if I remember and even that was priced above 10L

I think this is the exact notion what Mahindra intends to correct with the new Thar.

The old version was priced at 10 lakhs with appalling interiors, poor handling and zero creature comforts. The result was there for all of us to see - the numbers never took off. While there were serious admirers of the vehicle but when it came to signing the cheque, people opted for the more plausible alternatives.

Mahindra has a great opportunity to resurrect this legend. The buzz all around, the numerous reviews, the suspense, this anticipation - promises us something different. This time its not targeted to the mainstream "jeepers" but to those very admirers who once opted to sit it out. This approach is a lot more inclusive (than keeping the Thar exclusive to the hardcore off-roaders only).

With the new Thar, while Mahindra has checked all the boxes (well almost!!) in terms of looks, engine options, creature comforts - pricing the product right is critical to its success. Price it the way they did the old Thar and the proverbial fence sitters like myself will have to sit this one out, yet again.

For me personally, the LX diesel manual hardtop on-road has to be 14 or even less. Else, my heart will find it very difficult to convince my head to write the cheque.
Slipstream11 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 16:54   #2016
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
would suggest you consider more practical / comfortable options like harrier, seltos / creta used v cross, used fortuner / endeavour etc, used compass 4x4 etc. In a few years, maybe you can flip your Figo for a used Thar.
Thanks Axe77 for suggestion. I have been searching for good examples from individual owners. Safari is my first preference, but getting a used 4x4 safari in karnataka is like finding a unicorn. Yeti, pajero, duster are also considered. But in bangalore - used car rates are pretty high which is a deterrent. Still the hunt is ON.

Quote:
Luggage might be manageable, but bouncy ride for longer durations will cause fatigue and may cause back pain.
Agree. Im looking at 500+ kms travel per day with less fatigue. Mainly considering family members.

Quote:
) For that kind of family profile with long distance traveling aspirations I just do not see the Thar as practical enough. Can you work with it? Of course - you can work with anything. But it would be FAR from optimum, specially when you have capable family SUVs like seltos at stones throw in pricing.
4x4 is the main thing and go any where capability is what making me consider thar. But again, only after seeing the Thar in flesh and considering all practicalities, will take a call.

Thanks for your inputs.

If not a carrier, roof bag like these us the hope
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200913164941_amazon2.jpg  

Old 13th September 2020, 17:56   #2017
BHPian

Am I the only one who simply Loved the new Thar (Am planning to get one) and did not like a single accessory on the list that they gave as "Official Accessories".

Front bug deflector (?), garish side cladding, exclisive Thar Branded body cover, "Best quality branded Vibe speakers"....Not one single thing.

Ok, if theres a gun to my head, I'd take the mudflaps and the steering cover.

Much better stuffs can be bought from the aftermarket.

Oh and I'm very happy with the pricing. Will be going for the Lx Diesel Manual Hardtop.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 18:00   #2018
Team-BHP Support

One thought suddenly cane to mind. I wonder how easy it would be to remove the rear seats for specific trips if one wanted. Like - imagine if you wanted to do a fortnight long 2 person trip, just remove the rear seats for that trip making place for luggage, fuel cans or whatever extreme stuff one might need. And get the seats read fixed when back to your city. On a relatively simple car like the Thar it should be easy to do I should imagine. Thoughts anyone?
Old 13th September 2020, 18:21   #2019
BHPian

Makes absolute sense. This exact thought has crossed my mind as well. The Thar boasts of being a highly modular vehicle and owners would love it that way. Pick and choose, plug and play as per requirement and use should be the way to go.

I haven't seen the rear seat housing myself. I feel it shouldn't be much more than a few nuts and bolts keeping them in place. A trip to the local mechanic should do the job.

Unless I am missing out on something obvious or complex here.

Last edited by Slipstream11 : 13th September 2020 at 18:42.
Old 13th September 2020, 18:44   #2020
BHPian

A video link from Autocar India which has a discussion about the technical process of development of the new Thar.

Taruns_Hah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 22:37   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Can some experienced jeep users throw light on usable mods for luggage capacity. I have a almost 10 yr old first gen figo. Have decided to retain it as city and intercity commuter. Fed up of searching used 4x4 for touring purpose in namma bengaluru.
My requirements are 4x4, safe and long distance touring potential with family( me, wife, 9yr old + a toddler).
Since I missed buying new gypsy and duster awd and they are no longer available now, serioulsy contemplating on new thar hard top.

But the luggage scenario is a serious downer. Waiting to see the car in real to make a decision.
Read your post and it felt I had written it myself. Could feel the desperate dilemma where you want it and hope that the shortcomings fall in place somehow. I too am on the fence and honestly I just hope it has a manageable luggage space.
Might be cheezy but I do remember having heard someone from M&M in their launch PR say that they wanted the Thar to behave maturely even when driven at 150 km/hr. Even for PR but that does say something about the ability to munch miles at triple digit speeds.

As far as shortcomings are concerned, I am seriously contemplating some innovative solution for luggage, only bummer is the FRP rooftop that will need to be drilled. Hope M&M can come up with some solution. Because for someone like me almost on the edge and ready to be Jeeper this time might not get this close next time.
Old 13th September 2020, 23:08   #2022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Read your post and it felt I had written it myself. Could feel the desperate dilemma where you want it and hope that the shortcomings fall in place somehow. I too am on the fence and honestly I just hope it has a manageable luggage space
Quote:

Will try to address the matter in a positive way.

1) Thar is a body on frame designed vehicle, the ride quality of such cars do not match up with the latest monocoque SUVs. People Even complain the ride quality of 40L fortuner which is a body on frame SUV.
2) Unlike the old gen Thar, the newer one gets atleast has some space in the boot where you can store some bags small to medium sized in the boot. On the other side you guys can try fixing an aftermarket Scorpio or bolero roof rails which is normally fixed using 3M solution. Easily doable by spending 3-4 K, add another 4K and fix a roof carrier or luggage bag.

Just like every other car, Thar also has its own shortcomings and negatives which with time you will adjust with. However, if you want an apple to apple to comparison, then the new age monocoque SUVs will any day feel better than getting a Thar.

Becoming a Jeeper is something which many dream but only few are able to fulfill and very few of them continue to live with it and enjoy the life as a Jeeper. There are Jeepers who drive old age CJ/Classic/MM540/550s with a smile all day long which define the words crude and rudimentary, whereas the new gen Thar is leap ahead than earlier M&M vehicles of similar gene and is much more livable by Jeep standards. Better to wait till the vehicles start coming to dealers and check the Thar in person and then decide.

All the best !!!
abhikb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 00:50   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Since I missed buying new gypsy and duster awd and they are no longer available now, seriously contemplating on new thar hard top.
In 2017 just after college I joined a company which used to conduct vehicle design and fabrication workshops in engineering colleges throughout India. Our only mode of transportation was a Thar CRDE which came with the AC.

The setup used to be 2 or 3 guys driving non stop between Jaipur-pune, Pune-banglore, banglore-jaipur and many more long routes. For 2 years I did that, and not in a single journey i felt tired or uncomfortable with the ride quality, the type of roads which we used to encounter and the big potholes which the thar used to clear easily, used to give a lot of confidence.

And there's something special which the thar has like everyone says, no pseudo SUV could match that, and you always get attention, the only problem was the wind noise due to the soft top.

The current version is leaps and bounds ahead of the old one, the interiors, suspensions, engine and you get an auto box as well. It would be a little inconvenient but it's worth it, the smile you'll get every time you look and drive, you won't find it anywhere else. With one child in the child seat the floor area is empty and can be used to put some bags, and i'm sure there would be many aftermarket roof carriers as well.

If i was in the market with a budget of 1.5-2 million rupees, the new thar would definitely have my money. Everyone complained and were against when we decided to get the polo as our first car, but 6 years later i am very happy with the decision.

But let the car hit the showrooms, get multiple test drives and then decide for yourself, the whole rant was my heart trying to convince my Brian that it is time for a new car
yesyeswe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 07:14   #2024
Senior - BHPian

Thar has always been a platform. Platform for people to personalize or to make it better. With the advent of the new one I'm 100% sure proper big names will jump into the foray very soon.
Bilstein, Old Man Emu, Ironman etc. for the suspension. Some big tuning houses for the remapping.
With a more complex suspension I'm sure ride issues can be sorted along with a 2 inch lift.

Then there will be the larger tires on the same 18 inch wheels.

And a remap to power the larger tires and to get the engine to it's true power.

Now my question to those who have driven it:
1. How does the petrol automatic compare to the diesel automatic. In terms of sheer power as well as relaxed driveability. No one has done this. In one of the drive reports Sirish Chandran says that the diesel is the better package but he was driving the manual and not the auto.
I just want to compare automatics. Manual is out of the question for me now.

My question above because I'm also 100% sure that both petrol and diesel automatic won't be available for TD together at any dealership. Atleast for the next 6 months it won't.
Also taking multiple Test drives in different vehicles used by different people in these covid times isn't exactly something I would favour.
So any pointers would be appreciated.

Also a small suggestion to GTO. Please Review both the automatics. That is the future. And would be very helpful for a large chunk of people going for the Thar.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th September 2020 at 08:17. Reason: Minor Typo.
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 07:50   #2025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Less luggage space

But apart from that?
I will try to answer as someone who has driven the old Thar and some of its predecessors on fast roads ever since I started driving really.

Let's start with the elements.

Noise - Thar is not aerodynamic. So, at speeds there will be excessive wind noise. Then, the tyres are huge and they need to work off-road. So, there will be tyre noise as well. Also, a soft top or even the FRP hardtop cannot keep out much. And that can be really annoying and tiring in the long runs. Also, it will be noisy inside when it rains outside. Add the honking and other traffic noise, and it won't be a good place to be in.

And due to the aero and weight, it won't be as efficient as well. Like a few over here, I don't really care about that as long as the engine delivers, but I have often seen people going nuts on the forum with average FE etc on the MID - they will be in for a shock!

Climate control - The AC just wouldn't work as well as regular cars. There will be pockets of hot and cold air inside the vehicle, simultaneously! The overall insulation is to blame here. On dark rainy nights, it will be surely an experience with fogging inside or out while being cold!

Handling - Will be below average at best! Thar won't accelerate, brake or turn as well as a road car. The tyres won't have the grip and quality on road as it has to work off-road as well. The steering will have some play and won't be direct - and will need constant work on road. And, I am yet to drive a Jeep with good brakes. So, the drive will be very engaging! For some, all this is the definition of fun, for most others, it can be tiring when done regularly.

Ride - It will make you feel each and every imperfection on road. And the suspension will be soft. So, the ride will only degrade with speed.

I just glanced over a few points here from the perspective of the driver. And your passengers or poor family will really be in for the ride of their life if they are used to regular cars on road.

Don't get me wrong! All these add to the charm as well. Just that, one needs to know what they are buying into. Or ideally have a multi car garage.

I haven't driven the new Thar, but no matter how much it has improved, most of these factors will remain to varying degrees as it is a machine built for a purpose - going off-road and be somewhat robust there! That is why a Thar without 4x4 doesn't make any sense at all! Why would someone buy that apart for vanity?
deetjohn is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks