Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 10:36   #2026
BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Saw this on the TBHP homepage today. Can't deny what they are saying. Also can't help but laugh at the irony of Jeep choosing a copy to take a dig at a copy. Let me explain. See the video below by jeep titled 'The Originals'. Well, as it turns out, 'original' is not something that can be said about the video itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Interesting new AD from Jeep India. Claims "There is only one".

Start of a battle against the new Thar?

https://Youtu.be/hIZz30VIVR8

Contrast the Jeep video with the 'Think Different' ad by Apple which talks about 'the crazy ones'. Jeep couldn't help but use the word 'think differently' within the first 20 secs of the video. Im sure the creative team pitching that ad to Jeep must have shown the apple ad as an 'inspiration', much like how the Thar is 'inspired' by the Willys Jeep. Interestingly, both talk about creativity, one by asking you to stick to the original, and the other by encouraging you to thinking differently.

Last edited by aaychat : 14th September 2020 at 10:38. Reason: jeep video was not showing
aaychat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 12:12   #2027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
One thought suddenly cane to mind. I wonder how easy it would be to remove the rear seats for specific trips if one wanted. Like - imagine if you wanted to do a fortnight long 2 person trip, just remove the rear seats for that trip making place for luggage, fuel cans or whatever extreme stuff one might need. And get the seats read fixed when back to your city. On a relatively simple car like the Thar it should be easy to do I should imagine. Thoughts anyone?
Came across this video on Youtube where he modded the old thar rear seats. Check out the ingress via the tailgate. Wonder why M&M didnt think about such a method in the 2020 Thar.

Pleasantly surprised to see that the rear seats are covering the entire breadth, meaning which a third person can squeeze in there for shorter trips. I believe they managed to do so by setting the rear seats higher - above the rear wheel arches - which means that the headroom would have to be compromised.
ka_sieben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 13:25   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar petrol will be offered in two variants only - AX Opt and LX. AX Opt will be offered with a convertible soft top only.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-smartselect_20200914132426_chrome.jpg

While the AX Opt variant is offered with a 6-speed manual only, the top-spec LX variant can be had with a 6-speed torque converter automatic only.

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...ts-only/39745/
Old 14th September 2020, 14:34   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_sieben View Post
Came across this video on Youtube where he modded the old thar rear seats. Check out the ingress via the tailgate. Wonder why M&M didnt think about such a method in the 2020 Thar.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=rq5Z3fBs4eE

Pleasantly surprised to see that the rear seats are covering the entire breadth, meaning which a third person can squeeze in there for shorter trips. I believe they managed to do so by setting the rear seats higher - above the rear wheel arches - which means that the headroom would have to be compromised.
The ingress and egress still appears pretty cumbersome. And with the seats placed on top of the wheel wells will surely compromise the headroom.
However, this modular design wouldn't have been a bad idea from a boot space perspective. Flip the seats, fold them and you have enough space to fit in the utilities one would pack for a long road trip.
Old 14th September 2020, 16:04   #2030
BHPian

spkrnh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 19:44   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
And with the seats placed on top of the wheel wells will surely compromise the headroom.
I recently had a conversation with Bimbra 4x4, and was informed that they generally cut the wheel wells by a few inches to make sure there's sufficient headroom.
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 00:05   #2032
Team-BHP Support

Surprisingly - Accessories shops are already equipped with aftermarket 'Jeep' grilles for the new Thar.

Here's one shop advertising the same - and they claim (in a Youtube vlog) to have received 16 bookings for it till now (13 for the 7 slat grille with round headlamps and 3 for the 5-slat angry headlamp grille).

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-instimage.jpg

Source - https://www.instagram.com/p/CFE5CMND..._web_copy_link

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th September 2020 at 00:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 00:50   #2033
BHPian

Just came across this excellent Sherpa roof rack on youtube, which I think is the best idea for the new Mahindra Thar.
Do check out guys and share your thoughts
Venku2015 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 01:01   #2034
BHPian

I tweeted to the mahindra thar handle asking them whether they're getting the LX diesel MT with a convertible top since it couldn't be seen on the website. They said it's not an option.

As an offroader a diesel manual makes the most sense to me and I wouldn't want to get any other drivetrain. Do I not have the right to get an LX convertible top after waiting for soooooo damn long for it. I find this to be the first place where Mahindra has actually messed it up.

I've written them an email since I'm talking on a behalf of 30-35 offroaders out of which most people want to buy the Thar with a diesel MT with a convertible top in the LX trim.

MT - for off-roading
Convertible top - for some open top motoring
LX - the Thar is finally comfy
Diesel - better torque delivery for off-roading, cheaper if you drive it daily

Hope mahindra listens and does something about this. It's next to impossible to wait any longer.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th September 2020 at 09:07. Reason: u > you. Strictly no short forms / abbreviations / SMS language please.
abhinavsureka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 09:53   #2035
BHPian

I keep reading a lot of comments which mention Auto Transmission not capable of doing what the Manual can. But aren't majority of the currently available high end off road vehicles automatics. Does this mean a Thar Manual will trump these cars as well.

What scenarios will Manual be a better bet?

My usage is:
1) 30% City
2) 40% ORR Hyderabad
3) 20% on Sites where roads are non existent.
4) 10% off road trails

Based on my usage Top end Diesel Automatic (yet to decide on the Hard top or convertible) seems to be the best fit.

Last I had driven the Thar was in 2011-12.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 10:38   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
Just came across this excellent Sherpa roof rack on Youtube, which I think is the best idea for the new Mahindra Thar.
Do check out guys and share your thoughts
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=NneX3H6FSFo
This would need a solid metal bumper, or some means to mount it directly onto the chassis (going through the plastic bumper maybe?).
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 10:47   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taruns_Hah View Post
A video link from Autocar India which has a discussion about the technical process of development of the new Thar.

*SNIPped the video out*
At one point in this video there's a question about the difference in suspension tuning between the AX and the LX. The response is that yes, there is a difference - the AX suspension (as far as I understood) is stiffer than the LX versions.

This means a little more thought needs to be put in to the decision as to whether to buy the LX or the AX versions.

Cheers
Old 15th September 2020, 12:03   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
This would need a solid metal bumper, or some means to mount it directly onto the chassis (going through the plastic bumper maybe?).
Exactly my thoughts, the rack rod needs to be routed below the bumper and bolted onto the frame at the rear.
At the front, we can fit it at bottom of the A pillar junction.

But, I feel its doable, and I am very much happy to see this possibility because I had three heated arguments already with wife for the minuscule boot space

Cant wait for 2nd October to test drive this mini monster
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 12:44   #2039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I keep reading a lot of comments which mention Auto Transmission not capable of doing what the Manual can. But aren't majority of the currently available high end off road vehicles automatics. Does this mean a Thar Manual will trump these cars as well.

What scenarios will Manual be a better bet?

My usage is:
1) 30% City
2) 40% ORR Hyderabad
3) 20% on Sites where roads are non existent.
4) 10% off road trails

Based on my usage Top end Diesel Automatic (yet to decide on the Hard top or convertible) seems to be the best fit.

Last I had driven the Thar was in 2011-12.
I have been bashing about in a 2007 AT Grand Vitara since 2015. Driving is a mix of off-road, bad-roads and trails, city, hills and long distance highway cruising.
The AT box has handled every scenario with ease. So go in for the AT. It is particularly useful in off-road situations because of the torque boost due to the torque convertor.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 13:15   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post

But, I feel its doable, and I am very much happy to see this possibility because I had three heated arguments already with wife for the minuscule boot space

Cant wait for 2nd October to test drive this mini monster
Absolutely! There will be multiple designs possible. A well designed roof rack though should not only address the need to carry loads, but also needs to be structurally sound (possibly without making any new holes in the vehicles structural elements/body panels), and easily accessible. One thing most roof racks cannot mitigate though is air cutting noise. An air dam fixes the problem somewhat but not entirely. You get used it over time though. I used to mount a 15 footer tandem kayak on mine and not notice it’s up there at 120mph 😁

Let’s hope someone comes along with a neat design and build; if not, am prepared to design and fab my own. If metal bumpers were legal in India, the task would be much easier; but all is not lost, it’s still very much doable. Am also hoping that there’d be some OEM solution down the line.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks