Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2020, 13:16   #2041

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

Accessories brochure of the upcoming Thar appears to have leaked. Attaching the full brochure. What caught me was a picture of the Jimny in one of the pages.
Thanks for sharing! I was hoping they would have a roof rack to add some luggage-carrying capacity. Currently, 4 adults + luggage for 2 weeks is a no-go in the Thar.

On a normal day, I carry atleast 3-4 bags of stuff in my car that I need during the week.

If something like the Thule Pulse could be fitted onto the Hardtop Thar, I would be up for buying one. Not sure how much it would affect the center of gravity though. It's certainly less convenient that having a big boot, but I guess one has to compromise somewhere.

I wonder if there are any pictures of the new Thar with the boot filled with some sample pieces of luggage.
Old 15th September 2020, 13:38   #2042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
The AT box has handled every scenario with ease. So go in for the AT. It is particularly useful in off-road situations because of the torque boost due to the torque convertor.
THIS! I was gonna say this but refrained. The TC is best suited for off-roading because it lets you focus on the line without compromising anything, instead of getting distracted fiddling with the stick. Not a single (off-roading) friend of mine drives a stick shift and every time I have been out wheeling, even with much larger groups, the guys with the stick shifts would be in the minority and driving much older rigs.

Also almost all modern day 4x4’s are people’s daily drivers.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 16:23   #2043
BHPian

So YouTuber BikeWithGirl was filming her Thar video in South Bombay, when a Lamborghini decided to stop by and check out the Thar!

Check out Anand Mahindra's response to it

Name:  AM.png
Views: 3415
Size:  445.8 KB
Shreyas_H is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 16:26   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
THIS! I was gonna say this but refrained. The TC is best suited for off-roading because it lets you focus on the line without compromising anything, instead of getting distracted fiddling with the stick. Not a single (off-roading) friend of mine drives a stick shift and every time I have been out wheeling, even with much larger groups, the guys with the stick shifts would be in the minority and driving much older rigs.

Also almost all modern day 4x4’s are people’s daily drivers.
I am not sure about the frequency of input one would have to put in on the gear lever when operating on 4-low.

I am somehow inclined towards the MT. Moreso because the vehicle is going to be my daily drive. I may sound old school but AT comes with its share of issues, long term maintenance being one of them - especially in light of the Indian road conditions and traffic situation.

And the surge of power available on down shifting is a thrill than having to rely on a processor to kick-in and decide on my behalf
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 16:42   #2045
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know of how these logistics works?

Like where are those vehicles now that were let out during the unveil, who owns it, what will happen to those test vehicles - will it be sold, when does the showroom guys get the TD/display vehicles.. etc.. The sales guy nearby here does not have any clue on the developments; mostly I feed him the information that I gather here in T-BHP.
Old 15th September 2020, 16:57   #2046
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
So YouTuber BikeWithGirl was filming her Thar video in South Bombay, when a Lamborghini decided to stop by and check out the Thar!
Quote...

Marwan Kt

how did three dudes come on a lamborghini??

Unquote..

Best case, staged. But I like the color, current Wrangler owners will surely be pissed.
Turbanator is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 18:17   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
I am not sure about the frequency of input one would have to put in on the gear lever when operating on 4-low.

I am somehow inclined towards the MT. Moreso because the vehicle is going to be my daily drive. I may sound old school but AT comes with its share of issues, long term maintenance being one of them - especially in light of the Indian road conditions and traffic situation.

And the surge of power available on down shifting is a thrill than having to rely on a processor to kick-in and decide on my behalf
I have a 2008 Santro AT. I have taken it on some of the toughest ghat roads while driving down to the south.
It has now done almost 70k kms. No issues.
My 2007 Grand Vitara AT was purchased in 2015 with 4 previous owners. It was not particularly well taken care of, except the last owner who did spend some fair amount on routine maintenance. I did a series of fluid changes and it is in excellent condition now. And it has run almost 98k kms.

And control of gear shifts can be achieved by modulating the throttle. And 99% of the time the AT cpu does a perfect job. I have taught this modulation method to a couple of friends who have recently shifted to AT boxes - ranging from AMT to CVT to Torque convertor.

See these reports to get a better idea:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...shet-lake.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...tow-cable.html
sridhar-v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 00:02   #2048
BHPian

Now, watch this guys, the flying Thar!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YtX...ew?usp=sharing

Just can't believe if the suspension surviwed after landing..lol

Edit: The above video is from a 4x4 India facebook group.

Last edited by Venku2015 : 16th September 2020 at 00:21.
Venku2015 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 01:44   #2049
BHPian

If you ever needed a reason for not buying media cars, the above video is enough! Look at the momentum with which the wheels hit the bump stop! The Thar might have survived externally, but there is no way this didn't cause permanent internal damage.
nimishlalwani is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 05:56   #2050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post

Just can't believe if the suspension surviwed after landing..lol

Purely pointless abuse just for a spectacular click. To me it neither proves the ability of the vehicle (it would definitely have suffered some damage, and justifiably so), nor does it demonstrate any ability of the driver (save for the fact that he is a dimwit).

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump.
Axe77 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 08:24   #2051
BHPian

More than proving Thar's off road credentials (were these credentials ever really in doubt ?), The above video proves that Thar can survive a driver who should not ever be allowed behind it's wheels (speaking in a polite way).
darkLightning is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 08:59   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
(save for the fact that he is a dimwit).
Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkLightning View Post
Thar can survive a driver who should not ever be allowed behind it's wheels (speaking in a polite way).
Way too judgmental I guess. We do not know who he is. What if the suspension held together and the whole thing is still in one piece. Doesn't it prove something about it? The reason he was able to get his hands on one of these media car means he knows what he is doing.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 16th September 2020 at 09:00.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:31   #2053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Way too judgmental I guess. We do not know who he is. What if the suspension held together and the whole thing is still in one piece. Doesn't it prove something about it? The reason he was able to get his hands on one of these media car means he knows what he is doing.
Really? What would it prove?
Let's see if he would do such a thing on his own car.

Every car would break at a certain point. There is no way one can prove long term reliability of a vehicle in a day or two.
With such monkeying, you would definitely damage the car but won't prove anything. Just a colossal waste of money.

Last edited by starter : 16th September 2020 at 10:34.
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:33   #2054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason he was able to get his hands on one of these media car means he knows what he is doing.
Er no.

The reason he (or anyone) was able to get his/their hands on one was (and is) probably because he has a huge following on insta/Youtube and Mahindra can maximize their reach to as may people as possible. Same celebrity brand ambassador model.

Probably he is a pro-off roader but doing something like this is not necessary at this stage with a vehicle that is not his own. I guess this is what our fellow members meant.

Also, off-roading (or doing stuff like this) was off-limits I guess till Oct 2. So wonder what Mahindra thinks of this.
Pancham is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 11:56   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
He is a professional 4x4 driver, but with the above video I can only come to a conclusion that the new Thar is really built tough and can withstand some serious abuse. I am saying this as I later heard from the group that the Thar remains intact without any damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Er no.

The reason he (or anyone) was able to get his/their hands on one was (and is) probably because he has a huge following on insta/Youtube and Mahindra can maximize their reach to as may people as possible. Same celebrity brand ambassador model.

Probably he is a pro-off roader but doing something like this is not necessary at this stage with a vehicle that is not his own. I guess this is what our fellow members meant.

Also, off-roading (or doing stuff like this) was off-limits I guess till Oct 2. So wonder what Mahindra thinks of this.
I think he must have been appointed by Mahindra for their short ad films and photographs They are doing ad shoots in full swing pan India including Leh.
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks