Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2020, 11:59   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

This being the case, I am surprised that the AX version does not get the BLD and that the LX version does.

The old Thar had auto-locking hubs in front; the new one (AX) does not; nor does it have BLD.

Does this mean that the AX version comes with an open-diff in front?
The previous gen Thar had Eaton mechanical locking differential only on the rear. The front had only open differential. The 2020 AX Thar has the same 4X4 hardware as the previous Gen Thar.

BLD can be implemented only if the vehicle has TCS which is only available in the Thar 2020 LX variant. It would increase the offroad capability of the LX even better for sure.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:44   #2072
Senior - BHPian

One of the things people have forgotten is the DPF and SCR in the Diesel engines. The Thar has it along with the ammonia tank.
Now I find this a complex system and am a bit apprehensive about it. Especially with the DPF related issues which other markets have seen. I would wait and watch this.

And yes the Petrol engine too is a brand new engine developed by AVL Austria. Even though these are the same guys who have built the 2.2L diesels doing duty in both Tata and Mahindra vehicles and have proven to be very reliable, a new engine is always a gamble.

I too am in two minds but not considering FE. I am more concerned about the long term reliability of the 2 models. The DPF+SCR combo in the Diesel and the newness of the Petrol Motor.
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 14:10   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
For those worrying about practicality and mileage - just please do not buy the Thar- buy something from Maruti with diesel and live happily with 20+ kmpl.

(@Mods - can all Fuel Efficiency based posts for the Thar be banned here ? )
I totally get where you are coming from and also a lot of others who are talking about Thar being a 'from the heart' decision and not to think about the FE when buying one. So I thought I will do some calculations just to check how much my 30 year old 'heart' can take when it comes to fuel bills ?

Generic data
Daily / monthly commute average = 40/1200 kms
Annual outstation trips averaged monthly = 450 km (approx. 4-5000kms a year)
Total monthly kms = 1650 kms

Petrol
FE (average)= 6.5KMPL
Fuel Price = INR 84 per litre

Monthly fuel costs = INR 21,323 (Ouch!)

Diesel
FE (average) = 11KMPL ?
Fuel Price = INR 78 per litre

Monthly fuel costs = INR 11,700

A difference of almost 10k a month. I think if MM is planning for the mass market, 10k EVERY month will matter and yes, people will look at the FE figures for sure.

Also, with the Thar you would want to do more and more trips, drive it more, right? But for every trip to the hill station if you have to shell out close to 13-15k for petrol, I think your at some point the love for your new steed will wither away and fuel bills may start bothering you.

So eventually, the 'Thar struck' pleb will wake up from his intiial honeymoon period one day when the fuel bills stop making sense and buying from the heart comes back biting him/her in some other area of his commoner body.

Last edited by Pancham : 17th September 2020 at 14:28.
Pancham is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 14:40   #2074
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Especially with the DPF related issues which other markets have seen. I would wait and watch this.
Are you hinting at regen requirements, or is there any other common issues related to DPF that buyers should be aware of?

Personally, I wouldn't be worried about DPF regeneration on the Thar as it doesn't make sense to be used all the time in congested cities anyways. A weekend highway or city ring road ride should take care of the regen.

Petrol motor on the other hand - is totally new. Better to wait and watch.
Old 17th September 2020, 14:52   #2075
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
7 to 8 kmpl within city for a high torque 150 bhp 2L large displacement Turbo Petrol AT in the city would be a very good mileage in fact and a very optimistic wish for the Thar.
My take is it could be dismally low in 4X4 offroading mode and around 5kmpl in city drives
Bingo! In our kind of driving in Mumbai city, a Civic AT gives 7 kmpl. Sometimes 6 if you drive hard. The heavy Thar with a big petrol & torque-converter AT will give no more than 5 - 6 kmpl in Bombay. Redline it and I see it dropping even to 4 kmpl.

Prima facie, the Diesel AT definitely appears to be more practical & liveable.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 15:09   #2076
BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...nswered-418613

A few pointers from Autocar India's latest article:

1. Hardtop roof can be removed and refitted but only at Mahindra dealerships:
This is a great news and we can remove the hardtop for the weekend fun and get it re-fitted for any long highway drives or rainy days.

2. Expected pricing between Rs 12-15 lakh:
Now this is sounding bad! If 12 -15 lakhs are the ex-showroom prices then its definitely not reasonable enough. Few days ago some rumors of 12.25lakhs, ex showroom for the top end, hard top diesel automatic did make sense and brought cheer into the market. Anything above 15lakhs on road for this top end model is going to disappoint a majority of people and I say Mahindra would miss the golden opportunity, yet again!!

Last edited by Venku2015 : 17th September 2020 at 15:14.
Venku2015 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 15:51   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
7 to 8 kmpl within city for a high torque 150 bhp 2L large displacement Turbo Petrol AT in the city would be a very good mileage in fact and a very optimistic wish for the Thar.FE would be in single digits on the highways too.
Diesel would be way more efficient, atleast in the low double digits.
One has to take into account the fuel consumed for DPF/GPF regeneration too that can bring the accumulated FE of the vehicle down. Diesel is the safest best whichever way we look at it, even if the prices of both fuel are almost same.
Old 17th September 2020, 17:00   #2078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...nswered-418613

A few pointers from Autocar India's latest article:

Now this is sounding bad! If 12 -15 lakhs are the ex-showroom prices then its definitely not reasonable enough. Few days ago some rumors of 12.25lakhs, ex showroom for the top end, hard top diesel automatic did make sense and brought cheer into the market. Anything above 15lakhs on road for this top end model is going to disappoint a majority of people and I say Mahindra would miss the golden opportunity, yet again!!
I agree 12 to 15L ex showroom will be a bummer for many. In its revived avatar, Thar is in the eyes of many buyers who will stretch their imagination to own a Jeep. But 15L for top variant would mean almost 20L OTR in a city like Bangalore. Unless money was in abundance, that will be a serious thought provoking sum of money.

While surely a better product needs more money to build, I am not too sure if Thar can demand that high price tag in any 3 door avatar. Hoping the originally leaked prices are the true ones, else the heart won't win this battle atleast this time.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:42   #2079
DSY

A few days back while traveling from Faridabad to Gurugram, I spotted the New Thar being washed at a service station. I immediately stopped my car and went to the service station and asked the guy( the one getting it washed ) if I can have look at the car.
So finally!! after such a long wait and watching numerous videos of it got the chance to finally meet the LX Hardtop Diesel (AT) Thar in Mystic Copper. A few observations :
  1. The doors on the new Thar feel heavy and there is no metal clinking sound like the previous generation Thar.
  2. The wheels are massive and they look even bigger in person.
  3. There is almost no vibration in the cabin as compared to the old thar.
  4. You need to step up to get inside the cabin and the sitting position is pretty tall giving you a great visiblity all around.
  5. The gear leaver feels very premium as compared to the previous generation and the grip on the steering wheel is great.
  6. The seats are comfortable but lack under-thigh support in the front too.
  7. The hardtop quality is really nice and it is well finished from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_4946.jpeg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_9748.jpg  

DSY is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 22:22   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
This is interesting. So if we assume the Thar ranges from 12-15 lakh, then the next gen Scorpio will be even higher.

Somewhere I think it would be within the 10-13 lakhs range with higher pricing for people who buy the AX and add the OEM add ons
diwakarmuthu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 23:32   #2081
BHPian

A sub 4m thar would have benefitted much on pricing if they could have somehow manage a marazzo 1500 cc engine with almost the same power and Torque (121 hp / 300nm). Engineers knows the best!
Turbo roast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 08:26   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bingo! In our kind of driving in Mumbai city, a Civic AT gives 7 kmpl. Sometimes 6 if you drive hard. The heavy Thar with a big petrol & torque-converter AT will give no more than 5 - 6 kmpl in Bombay. Redline it and I see it dropping even to 4 kmpl.

Prima facie, the Diesel AT definitely appears to be more practical & liveable.
My 2007 Grand Vitara AT with a 2L engine gives me 6-8 kmpl in the city, 8kmpl on country roads and 10-11 kmpl on highways.
So from that point of reference the modern 2L turbo engine with more power and torque is, in my opinion, quite ok.
And my 2008 Santro AT gives me only 11kmpl in the city.
So the obvious point is that Torque Convertors are bad for fuel economy. But excellent for reliability and driving pleasure.
The moot point is one doesn't require 150hp for city commutes. So if it is only one car in the garage and used primarily for commutes then the Thar diesel makes sense.
If the Thar is going to be a second vehicle then petrol or diesel will be decided by personal preferences and cost payoff calculations.

Personally I would prefer a torquey petrol over a diesel anyday. But that me!
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:35   #2083
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
The moot point is one doesn't require 150hp for city commutes.
This point makes me think, the Thar Petrol AT should have an extreme "ECO" mode that drops power for city commutes. Would make the FE far more digestible.

Does the Thar have ECO mode? If not, that is a big miss. Tata does ECO modes really well.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:52   #2084
Senior - BHPian

My wife is more smitten with the new Thar than me.
Choice of color: only Black, nothing else.

She drives an Ignis AMT now and comfortable with an automatic.
If we get the Thar, it has to be Diesel AT. The Thar begs to be driven and it absolutely makes no sense to get a Petrol AT and worry about fuel bills. I will be registering it in Tier II city which might help with holding on the Thar for a longer period.

This might be the case for many people, there will be many unplanned drives just to enjoy the Thar.

Petrol AT only makes sense if it is used solely for occasional highway drives and city commutes with under 1000Kms of monthly driving.

Last edited by speedmiester : 18th September 2020 at 09:55.
speedmiester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 10:44   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
The previous gen Thar had Eaton mechanical locking differential only on the rear. The front had only open differential. The 2020 AX Thar has the same 4X4 hardware as the previous Gen Thar.

BLD can be implemented only if the vehicle has TCS which is only available in the Thar 2020 LX variant. It would increase the offroad capability of the LX even better for sure.
Er... where did I even speak about the rear? My entire post was only about the front.

The old Thar may have had open differentials in the front, but it came with auto-locking hubs too in the front. The new Thar (again, I refer ONLY to the AX version) appears to not have even that. And that, is what my question pertains to.

So, do you absolutely know for sure (I mean confirmed definitive info) that the new AX does come with the same hardware in front as the old Thar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
*SNIP*

I will be registering it in Tier II city which might help with holding on the Thar for a longer period.

*SNIP*
Could you maybe explain to those of us who are not familiar with this, the difference (pros and cons) of registering the car in a Tier II city as opposed to a Tier 1 city? Also, how it might help holding on to it for a longer period as opposed to registering it in a Tier 1 city?

If this info is indeed available online somewhere, I would be perfectly happy if you could instead, just point my nose in that direction instead of explaining it here.

Also, specific to Karnataka, could you also maybe give us some examples of a Tier 2 city where you might be comsidering registering your car?

Thank you and cheers

Last edited by tilt : 18th September 2020 at 10:46.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks