Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 11:44   #2086
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Could you maybe explain to those of us who are not familiar with this, the difference (pros and cons) of registering the car in a Tier II city as opposed to a Tier 1 city? Also, how it might help holding on to it for a longer period as opposed to registering it in a Tier 1 city?

If this info is indeed available online somewhere, I would be perfectly happy if you could instead, just point my nose in that direction instead of explaining it here.

Also, specific to Karnataka, could you also maybe give us some examples of a Tier 2 city where you might be comsidering registering your car?

Thank you and cheers
'Bans' usually hit Tier II and III cities after a while. Here, the operative word is 'usually'.

Take for example the emission norms transition pre-BS6. When we shifted from BS1 to BS2 to BS3 and BS4, BS3 vehicles could still be registered in semi-urban (Tier II) and rural parts of India while Tier I cities could register only BS4 vehicles. But BS6 has changed everything, as it's an all-India norm. No exceptions there.

Going forward, I don't think registering in Tier II cities will make much sense as the norms could be the same given the growing environmental awareness.

Examples of Tier II cities in Karnataka: Hassan, Bidar, Mysuru, Shivamogga, Karwar etc.

Pros of registering: Usually no handling charges. Some rules can be circumvented.

Cons: May be harassed in the Tier I city if cops notice a small town registration plate.

PS: Enforcement in Tier II and III cities is 'generally' lax. In such cities, even cops are usually quite laid back, and won't bother you even if you run out-of-station plates. They get roused only if you do something really stupid, right in their face. In such cities, document checks are also very rare. Sometime last week, I was riding helmet-less in an emergency, in a Tier II/III city. I was stopped and let go when I explained my situation. Generally, this will never happen in a Tier I city. :-D

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 18th September 2020 at 11:48. Reason: Added more info
JayPrashanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 12:32   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This point makes me think, the Thar Petrol AT should have an extreme "ECO" mode that drops power for city commutes. Would make the FE far more digestible.

Does the Thar have ECO mode? If not, that is a big miss. Tata does ECO modes really well.
Some trivia: On the very first highway trip, when we picked up the Grand Vitara from Mumbai, we were overtaken by a Nano being driven by a maniac. And on each and every highway trip since we have always been lapped by a Nano being driven by a maniac. I mean a Nano doing 110+ kmph to overtake me driving along at a sedate(!!) 90.
So even more than the horsepower it is the craziness of the foot on the accelerator that really matters.

I also predict that within 5-6 years a large number of new city commuter cars will either be battery or hybrid drive. And of course even there people will be needing more and more power.
But it is technically much easier to very lightly load a traction motor and still retain overall system efficiencies.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 12:36   #2088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you maybe explain to those of us who are not familiar with this, the difference (pros and cons) of registering the car in a Tier II city as opposed to a Tier 1 city? Also, how it might help holding on to it for a longer period as opposed to registering it in a Tier 1 city?

If this info is indeed available online somewhere, I would be perfectly happy if you could instead, just point my nose in that direction instead of explaining it here.

Also, specific to Karnataka, could you also maybe give us some examples of a Tier 2 city where you might be comsidering registering your car?

Thank you and cheers
Jay has explained it well.

The regulations usually hit the Metros and Tier I cities first. We are already seeing how people in Delhi are affected by the 10 year rule on Diesel engine cars.

I am planning to get the car registered in Mysore,
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 12:51   #2089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo roast View Post
A sub 4m thar would have benefitted much on pricing if they could have somehow manage a marazzo 1500 cc engine with almost the same power and Torque (121 hp / 300nm). Engineers knows the best!
Giving a 1.5 liter engine would be bad optics at this stage... For it's direct competition is the Goliath (Jeep). It can be introduced as a separate variant later on IMO.
Old 18th September 2020, 13:24   #2090
BHPian

Mahindra Thar series production model will feature a honeycomb/insect mesh behind slatted grille as standard. The media vehicles doesn't feature this mesh. Source

So can we expect any more changes in the production series Thar from next month onward? I hope they fix those loosely hanging wires on rear windshield, wobbly placed carpets on the interior rear wheel arch etc. I hope M&M is reading all these suggestions on Team BHP. These are necessary improvements which doesn't even add a dime to the over all costing. Any one wish to add more suggestions for improvement in the present Thar which we have seen in media drives?
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:46   #2091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I also predict that within 5-6 years a large number of new city commuter cars will either be battery or hybrid drive. And of course even there people will be needing more and more power.
But it is technically much easier to very lightly load a traction motor and still retain overall system efficiencies.
Advanced Hybrids are good for city rides only, because of start stop drives, brake energy regeneration, etc which let the battery charge in these conditions.

Mild hybrids are just stepping stones, & eventually these shrewed tricks will perish to alert regulations.
Old 18th September 2020, 14:01   #2092
BHPian

For a 2 litre Turbo petrol which claimed to be able to deliver close to 190 horses during its unveil, it is tuned to a milder state for the Thar putting out 150 hp and 350 Nm. This could be in the interest of not making it overkill for the Thar or even a transmission limitation. Yet this detune is likely to make it more fuel efficient than comparable output engines which are tuned to their hilt.

Since the engine seems to be focused towards driveability it could be possible for daily usage to stay in the lower rev band and yet higher gear with lower throttle inputs resulting in better fuel efficiency. I am expecting it to be capable of 8-9 kmpl in city with a reasonably light foot.
Dieselite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 14:05   #2093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The old Thar may have had open differentials in the front, but it came with auto-locking hubs too in the front. The new Thar (again, I refer ONLY to the AX version) appears to not have even that. And that, is what my question pertains to.

So, do you absolutely know for sure (I mean confirmed definitive info) that the new AX does come with the same hardware in front as the old Thar?

The 2WD to 4WD is shift on the fly, so definitely the front hubs have to be auto locking in order to engage 4H while driving.
Otherwise you would need to stop, engage 4WD and manually lock the hubs and proceed which is clearly not the case with the 2020 Thar.
Therefore the AX and previous gen Thar must have the same hardware, BLD being an extra feature for the LX.

Anyway, the function of the hubs is to enable the front wheels to disengage from the differential and front drive shaft when the vehicle is in 2WD mode and thereby to increase fuel efficiency and avoid unnecessary strain on the engine and differentials. It does nothing to enhance the offroad capability of the vehicle. The hubs might as well be permanently locked, its just there to unlock and freewheel to reduce strain and increase efficiency in 2WD mode.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th September 2020 at 14:07.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 15:53   #2094
Senior - BHPian

What all has changed from the last one. Comparison video

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 17:10   #2095
Distinguished - BHPian

I got these price details on a Whatsapp group for the Thar. Look quite good if these are correct! The Thar price announcement was to be today, maybe it happened and was not publicised.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200918170829.jpg
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 17:19   #2096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I got these price details on a Whatsapp group for the Thar
Whatever happened to the LX Convertible Petrol Auto?
Old 18th September 2020, 17:25   #2097
BHPian

New to this forum, I have finally managed to catch up with this turbo-charged thread on the 2020 Mahindra Thar. As someone who has owned the 2015 facelift edition for the past 5 years, here’s my perspective of the new kid on the block, and the reasons why I would never think of upgrading.

2020 Mahindra Thar:
  • A drool-worthy, totally contemporary 4x4 SUV and a brilliant effort for an Indian manufacturer, notwithstanding the obvious inspiration.
  • Perfect blend of urban chic and rugged go-anywhere appeal that many had always wanted and dreamed of.
  • Feature-packed with creature comforts and fully-loaded with off-roading capabilities, for all those looking for a Swiss-knife on wheels.
  • Incredible matrix of trims, tops, engine and transmission options, unimaginable for the brand in its earlier avatar.
  • If the pricing is right, it could well be the year of the Thar.

In short, as an all-new vehicle designed for contemporary consumers, there is very little to fault in the 2020 Thar. But, speaking for myself, therein lies the problem. I prefer the classic. And here’s why.

2015 Classic Thar:
  • I chose this vehicle purely for its retro jeep appeal. And that includes, not just the iconic pedigree, design and off-road performance, but every little idiosyncrasy, from the old body-shell with surface imperfections to the background score of squeaks and rattles. Water trickling in through the windshield and spots of rust appearing faster than a rash are a mild concern, but nothing I couldn’t live with.
  • Everything that most people rant about like offset steering wheel, glare-rich window panes, manual window winders, poor braking, noisy cabin, flimsy door knobs, bouncy ride and non-existent safety features, to list just a few, are things I would rather speak of endearingly. Absolutely no complaints, no regrets.
  • What gets you completely addicted is the powerful, gem of an engine, effortless highway cruising, sheer driving pleasure, easy tractability in the city, the confidence when going off-road and watching heads turn just about anywhere, the mall or the mountain.
  • Besides, I have zero fascination with electronic driver aids, touch screens, steering-mounted controls and similar affectations. In fact, I find the 2015 edition interior too modern, I’d much rather prefer a metal dashboard with analogue dials and toggles. With not even a music system, what I get with my Thar is pure, zero-distraction driving.
  • I was looking for a utilitarian, rugged, powerful, no-nonsense vehicle, and in the last 5 years, whether on city roads, village no-roads or forest trails, I’m convinced it’s all the Thar I’ll ever need. And want.

So, while I like how the new edition looks and what it offers to the people who want it, I believe the real character and soul of a jeep still resides in the classic Thar. And for those who are willing to accept it for all its faults and quirks, nothing else is a jeep-like vehicle.
TAHR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 18:30   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHR View Post
So, while I like how the new edition looks and what it offers to the people who want it, I believe the real character and soul of a jeep still resides in the classic Thar. And for those who are willing to accept it for all its faults and quirks, nothing else is a jeep-like vehicle.
I know what you mean - I love the old version and the new version is very tempting with all the missing features. Wondering if a divorce be guaranteed if I keep the old one and get the new one ?
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 19:07   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got these price details on a Whatsapp group for the Thar.
Delivery to start from second week of October onwards??

Hope they wont be the washed and waxed media drive ones, need to watch out for that flying Thar too, if it ends up in a showroom and an unfortunate buyer picks it up.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 19:11   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got these price details on a Whatsapp group for the Thar. Look quite good if these are correct!
Couldn't help but notice that the price of the diesel seems to be higher in all Trims other than the top LX auto trim, compared to the petrol counterparts.
Could that be true?

Last edited by sammyboy : 18th September 2020 at 19:14.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed