Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2019, 19:48   #316
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

More pictures & video of 2020 Mahindra Thar pacing on the highway with production ready parts was posted on RushLane earlier today.

I absolutely cannot wait to book this beast!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-1.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-3.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-4.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-5.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-6.jpg  

vellatechie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 19:26   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Just noticed that none of the spy pictures show the hubs. What the drivetrain would be like?
If you notice the new crop of 4WD SUVs like the Fortuner, Endeavour, Scorpio, Safari Storme, etc. They don't have the hub lock sticking outside.

The reason is that the front diff is engaged/disengagement happens on the differential itself. I think this is for aesthetic purpose and also probably for safety to some extend as when the hub sticks out like in the old school SUV's one is more likely to damage it when bashing a rock or something like that.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 14:42   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If you notice the new crop of 4WD SUVs ... They don't have the hub lock sticking outside...

...when the hub sticks out like in the old school SUV's one is more likely to damage it when bashing a rock or something like that.
Good observation. I have bashed a few things with my hubs from time to time.
I have had concerns about mowing down lines of uniformed school children with those things. Parents get cranky about things like that.

Does the new Thar look a little bigger, maybe wider? Hard to tell about the length.

And, how long do you think it will take for there to be a parts shortage for owners of the old Thar CRDe?

I have had a serious offer on both of mine. Scratching my head over all this...plus the new Merc/Gurkha.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 09:21   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Does the new Thar look a little bigger, maybe wider? Hard to tell about the length.
The 2020 Thar sits on a shortened Scorpio Chasis. Hence it is much wider and taller. You will have much better interior space, However, you will have to get used to the extra width.

Quote:
And, how long do you think it will take for there to be a parts shortage for owners of the old Thar CRDe?
I don't see parts availability a problem for the Thar CRDe for the forseable future. The reason being, there was hardly anything important developed specifically for the Thar CRDe. Most parts are from the existing spare parts bin of other popular high volume Mahindra Models.

Quote:
I have had a serious offer on both of mine. Scratching my head over all this...plus the new Merc/Gurkha.
I decide to wait until the BSVI deadline in April 2020. By then we will know about the Suzuki Jimny also. There is not of web static about the Maruti launching the Jimny also, Frankly, if the Jimny does get launched, it is a no brainer. I would go for it lock stock and barrel.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 22:24   #320
BHPian

More images and information on the new Thar.
Courtesy : IAB

https://indianautosblog.com/2020-mah...0-plus-p318270
Old 28th August 2019, 00:07   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishkamm View Post
More images and information on the new Thar.
Courtesy : IAB

https://indianautosblog.com/2020-mah...0-plus-p318270

Interesting. The article says the new Mahindra Thar is expected to be launched before the all-new Mahindra Thar.

Is Mahindra planning to launch the Thar with side seats, soft top, new design and BS IV engine now and then upgraded everything next year? That would be stupid.
Old 28th August 2019, 13:27   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Interesting. The article says the new Mahindra Thar is expected to be launched before the all-new Mahindra Thar.

Is Mahindra planning to launch the Thar with side seats, soft top, new design and BS IV engine now and then upgraded everything next year? That would be stupid.

I believe its a typo. Probably meant, the new thar would come before the all new tuv300
Old 28th August 2019, 17:22   #323
AWD
BHPian

I think waiting for Auto expo for a launch wouldn't be very prudent. Going by the trend from yesteryears many companies would choose to stay out of the expo. Add to it the general slowdown & moreso specifically in the Auto sector, Auto expo wouldn't be a gala affair. Festive season is a good time to launch but looks like it would be too soon for Mahindra to have exhausted stocks of limited edition Thar.
Old 30th August 2019, 12:42   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I think waiting for Auto expo for a launch wouldn't be very prudent. Going by the trend from yesteryears many companies would choose to stay out of the expo. Add to it the general slowdown & moreso specifically in the Auto sector, Auto expo wouldn't be a gala affair. Festive season is a good time to launch but looks like it would be too soon for Mahindra to have exhausted stocks of limited edition Thar.
Given that the automobile industry in facing headwinds, I agree with you that launching the upgraded Thar this year itself would make sense for Mahindra.

But it is quite doubtful that it will happen as it would be difficult to crash the roll out plan of the model without some compromises relating to testing. In turn, it could lead to bad publicity for the brand, if some glitches show up after launch.
Old 2nd September 2019, 06:50   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Festive season is a good time to launch but looks like it would be too soon for Mahindra to have exhausted stocks of limited edition Thar.
Regarding the Limited Edition Thar, you care correct. They would have planned production of 700 units based on average monthly sales before the BS-VI deadline. But this slowdown, may have altered their sales projections. Besides with a much more improved product in the pipeline, only the really die hard fans or those who absolutely cannot wait for 6 months would buy the current model.

I hope they can launch the 2020 Thar as soon as the last of the 700 signature edition is sold. Why wait until April 2020 when they are idling factories due to lack of sales now?
Old 6th September 2019, 10:06   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

So I saw the upcoming THAR with a hard top for good 30 minutes today. Courtesy of it running with me all the way on the NH48 to Hinjawadi IT Park phase 3. It was camoflagued as usual of course. Due to traffic conditions - didn't get a chance to click any pictures as I was alone. Anyway no pictures needed anymore - there are ample available.

I've tried to hold on for long but now I cant. I DON'T like how it looks! It is very dis-proportionate. Be it the XL bonnet, wide face, weird ground clearance vs total height ratio, wide rear gate & hideously wide flat windshield that reminded me of a modified Jonga! Pretty much the lot! Of course everyone will say (me included) thats exactly following the lines of the current JEEP WRANGLER. But then I don't like how the Wrangler looks either.

The MM540/550 body-shell (resembling the venerable Willys M31A1 / CJ-5) trumped the looks. That design is an icon & its hard to NOT compare any upcoming "jeep" with it. Especially the THAR that really stands for its iconic value while ignoring all its shortomings (lot of them!).

We'll forever miss this body-shell & I'm sure we'll remain eternally thankful to our very own Late BD sir for having the will and tenacity to come up with the Thar with that little budget from M&M. A Last hurrah to a legend!
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 06:12   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

We'll forever miss this body-shell
Have no worries, the good shell lives on as the Roxor. Do pray it prevail. I truly believe Indians didn't value the iconic design while they had it, but now some are seeing the light. Yeah, too bad to be too late.

Mahindra could have easily mimicked the new panels to resemble CJ looks but they chose to go the Wrangler way, which even the yanks don't see as a jeep anymore.

The Americans feel lucky to have it back now and they will keep it alive. Maybe we never deserved it.
SandyX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 00:40   #328
BHPian

So more photos of Thar 2020 has leaked and were posted by zigwheels on Sep 6, 2019
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-1.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-2.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-3.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-4.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-5.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-6.jpg  

vellatechie is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 14:50   #329
BHPian

The central console has buttons and no cup holders. Atleast this is what I can see in the pictures posted. I do like what I see contrary to some other views on this forum but then it’s a personal point of view. Any news of the formal launch date for the thar?
Old 8th September 2019, 19:22   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
The central console has buttons and no cup holders. Atleast this is what I can see in the pictures posted. I do like what I see contrary to some other views on this forum but then it’s a personal point of view. Any news of the formal launch date for the thar?
I think Mahindra is coaxing people to use the Thar for its true purpose i.e. going off the road. Cup holders are probably a bad idea with the Indian penchant of sipping hot liquids on the drive.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed