Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2020, 15:02   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Could you elaborate a bit about the gremlins you encountered in your vehicle or heard about in the workshop lounges. More importantly, from the point of view of prospective customers, did M&M manage to eventually find solutions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Can you please elaborate a bit on the gremlins part. Were these present in your vehicle and were they fixed eventually.
Disclaimer: If mods feel this post is OT, please move it to an appropriate thread.

Some issues that occurred in my vehicle (Scorpio mHawk SLE, Feb 2010 mfg'ed) and others of around the same vintage that I saw in the M&M workshops:

1. Slave cylinder failure, discussed at length in this thread. No repair possible, only replacement: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...reak-down.html (Scorpio Mhawk Clutch Failure & Break Down)

2. Noisy vacuum modulator issue. No repair, only replacement (search for modulator in below thread):
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...tions-299.html (Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions)

3. Brake light always remains on due to wearing out of a nail like rubber grommet behind the brake pedal. Only solution is to replace it periodically.

4. Low quality suspension rubber bushes, leading to more body roll than normal (and that's saying quite a lot for a Scorpio). Mine were replaced under goodwill warranty.

5. Faulty power window motor, konked off or operation became slow without any apparent rhyme or reason. Replaced under warranty for me.

6. Fine cracks in headlight glass, leading to fogging. Again replaced under warranty.

7. Wall of water thrown on the windshield if you passed through large puddles on the road, temporarily and completely obstructing driver's view. Design issue, no solution possible.

These issues were in the "mighty muscular" refresh models, not sure if they still persist in the newer ones. I've seen other customers also experiencing similar issues and getting corresponding replacements when I used to frequent the authorized workshops.

Some other issues in M&M products:

XUV issues: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...solutions.html (Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions)

Wheel spin issue in TUV300: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review)

AMT issues in TUV300: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...olve-them.html (TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them)

Thar issues: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...solutions.html (Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions)

Rusting issues in Thar: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ndra-thar.html (Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar)

I remembered these off the top of my head, there are sure to be many more spread around the forum.

I don't have any statistics, but IMO a lot of M&M's clientele may not be on any online channels like our forum/FB/Twitter etc., which leads to the perception that M&M is more niggle free or reliable than Tata. In reality, they both might be equally good or equally bad. Probably the only area where M&M might be better, is the responsiveness of their ASCs to customer issues. But again, that's just my opinion.

Hence my recommendation in my previous post above to wait for some time before taking the plunge.

No offence to any M&M vehicle owners, past, present or future.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 20th February 2020 at 15:13.
comfortablynumb is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 17:13   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
The general consensus I'm seeing is that the Wrangler JL, released under FCA has won more SUV of the year awards than you can count, has been consistently selling like hotcakes in the US, and has almost unanimous praise and positive reviews, and holds resale value in local markets more than any other car model that is currently being sold.
I have no clue where you found journalists reporting the Wrangler JL to be a 'pale shadow of its former self'
My bad. Not journalists. Some car bloggers. Don't remember names of all. One such is Scotty Kilmer. Since he came down so strongly, I thought there's at least some truth in it. He says things went south after Fiat took over. Anyway, coming to Thar, I said it's almost as good as Wrangler. It looks almost like a Wrangler and the 2.2 mhawk is gem of an engine. I have driven both Compass and XUV and I think 2.2 mhawk is almost as good as Fiat's 2.0 motor. Mhawk's specs on paper don't seem impressive but Scorpio / XUV give sedans a run for their money. In fact, the motor writes out cheques that chassis/suspension of Scorpio can't cash out.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 17:01. Reason: shortening quoted post
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 19:18   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Disclaimer: If mods feel this post is OT, please move it to an appropriate thread.

Some issues that occurred in my vehicle (Scorpio mHawk SLE, Feb 2010 mfg'ed) and others of around the same vintage that I saw in the M&M workshops:.........................

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks, Vikram, for sharing not only the issues that affected you personally, but also for compiling a list of threads relating to the problems Mahindra customers have faced.

I'm quite sure that after going through these threads many members will tread warily when deciding to book the New Thar.

Like you succinctly put it in your earlier post, better safe than sorry. The solace one can get is that at least the Mahindra ASCs are responsive to customer issues and the fact that components were replaced in your Scorpio,under warranty.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 01:52. Reason: Editing quoted post
Zezé is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 20:27   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hence my recommendation in my previous post above to wait for some time before taking the plunge.

No offence to any M&M vehicle owners, past, present or future.
Thanks for elaborating and consolidating the various threads.

There definitely seems to be issues in the initial batches of the cars.

Having said that, it doesn't seem that the issues are such as would leave you stranded on the road.

Not defending M&M here but these kind issues have been reported by Jeep owners, Honda Owners and even the VW DSG issue is a well known issue.

My point being.. Is there something that was so wrong or ill designed that it cannot be fixed at all in these cars manufactured by M&M. The current Thar definitely has such issues, water leaking and Rusting was a guaranteed thing that could not be fixed.

Just for reference the problem of water splashing over the windshield was present in my Pajero SFX too.

I think what matters is how reliable and durable are these cars as compared to their Japanese counterparts.

Is frequent failing of parts a norm or can you be worry free that the car will last a decade without any major part replacement.

I guess only time will tell.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th February 2020 at 20:36. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes. Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2020, 13:45   #620
BHPian

2020 Mahindra Thar to go on sale in April 2020

Dr. Pawan Goenka, MD of M&M limited has officially confirmed that the next gen Thar will arrive only after the eKUV100, the prices of which have already been revealed, but sales haven't started as of yet.
Old 22nd February 2020, 16:49   #621
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar View Post
2020 Mahindra Thar to go on sale in April 2020

Dr. Pawan Goenka, MD of M&M limited has officially confirmed that the next gen Thar will arrive only after the eKUV100, the prices of which have already been revealed, but sales haven't started as of yet.
Could you please share the source article for this? I am unable to find it by googling.
Old 22nd February 2020, 16:53   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR7 View Post
Could you please share the source article for this? I am unable to find it by googling.
https://indianautosblog.com/2020-mah...0-2020-p319849
jigar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:25   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar View Post
That article doesn't saying anything about launch timeframe for Thar. It just says that it will be after eKUV100 which could be April, 2020 to end of time (unless I failed at reading ).
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:37   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
That article doesn't saying anything about launch timeframe for Thar. It just says that it will be after eKUV100 which could be April, 2020 to end of time (unless I failed at reading ).
Agreed.
But as per Carwale, eKUV100 deliveries will commence in Q2 2020 i.e. sometime in April.
Attaching the link.

https://www.carwale.com/news/mahindr...arter-of-2021/

Last edited by jigar : 22nd February 2020 at 18:45.
Old 23rd February 2020, 21:59   #625
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar launch soon; technical training starts

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar.jpg

The next generation Mahindra Thar is likely to be launched by March-end or April, 2020. It is expected to be available in 6 or 7 variants with either a Soft top or Hard top. It could also get an automatic transmission option.

Spy images suggest that the new Thar will be wider and is likely to feature a 7-vent grille and circular headlamps. It expected to be offered with 5-spoke alloy wheels. On the inside, the new Thar is likely to get a twin-dial instrument cluster with an MID in the centre.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 08:52   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mahindra Thar launch soon; technical training starts

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Attachment 1972918

The next generation Mahindra Thar is likely to be launched by March-end or April, 2020. It is expected to be available in 6 or 7 variants with either a Soft top or Hard top. It could also get an automatic transmission option.

Spy images suggest that the new Thar will be wider and is likely to feature a 7-vent grille and circular headlamps. It expected to be offered with 5-spoke alloy wheels. On the inside, the new Thar is likely to get a twin-dial instrument cluster with an MID in the centre.

Link to Team-BHP News
Some good news at last. Was wondering why it was taking so long for Mahindra to launch Thar.

The first confirmation for the development of NextGen Thar was reported way back in March 2017 (By Autocar India). Then came the onslaught of spy shots - early test mules from 2018. So it has really been under test for so long and I believe the delay may be associated with testing the all-new Powertrains.

As per the news quoted, if there are 6-7 variants, we can safely assume that there will be Soft Top/Hard Top, Petrol/Diesel and Manual/Automatic ones.

Hope Mahindra will price it properly - I am expecting it to start from 9.99L for the base Soft Top to maybe 14L Hard Top (Diesel/Auto)(ex-showroom). Anything significantly more than that would be too much of a stretch considering that Jimny and New Gurkha will be there to give it some competition pretty soon.
Old 24th February 2020, 09:10   #627
Senior - BHPian

I think the above picture shows its Scorpio origins well. Nice of Mahindra to plough back the money they make on this platform to offer the next gen Thar on it. While I feel it may not meet the needs of purists off-roaders, it will turn out to be a bigger money spinner than the earlier Thar with a broader audience.

This will also allow Mahindra to move the next gen Scorpio up the pricing ladder and occupy the XU500 space ( whose next gen will go into the Harrier price range I suppose ).
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:22   #628
Senior - BHPian

Just as the above post says, that it might not meet the needs of purists but frankly purists have never had their needs met. Thar came. They said IFS. Gurkha Xtreme came with solid axles and locking riffs, they said bad interiors and it bombed.

So the so called purists are out there just to nitpick on everything. They can never be satisfied.

So now the company has stopped listening to them and given a product which general people can buy. You have to drive long distances to get to even light offroading areas. So for that and for people to use this brilliant looking vehicle daily, it needs comfort. Which the purists wagon could never have given.

Company needs numbers and earn in order to give good products. It cannot be generated out of thin air.

I feel this is the best decision for the company as well as for us that the Thar is made into this.

And yes, I'm 100% sure it will beat a stock older gen Thar at any offroad obstacle given to it.

And finally purists can stick to their bumper sticker saying- "Built, Not Bought" and be happy!
navpreet318 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 15:57   #629
BHPian

There are so many variants of the test mules running around that we don't seem to have confirmed production ready accessories identified on the outside. I would like Mahindra to take its own time in giving the refinement and quality of at least the current generation Scorpio with this product. Rust, leaks, etc. wont cut it with modern users. Alternatively, I wonder if they will go the Roxxor route with this car with buy and customize.
Old 24th February 2020, 18:54   #630
BHPian

Here's a short review (Fifth Gear Team Test) of NextGen Thar's benchmark (atleast in Design), The JEEP WRANGLER.

Obviously it's pricier, but when we're talking about making Thar appealing to a wider audience, like small families (3-4pax) , I am wondering, especially after seeing that Wrangler video, whether it will get more adopters. 5 door version would have been much more appealing given that not many venture hardcore off-road too often.
sechebe is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks