Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2020, 14:10   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
Yes but at least buying a Jimny will be buying into an original product that has its own heritage and design language. It just feels authentic.
The history of Jimny talks about a small company from whuch Suzuki bought the rights to the design , Hope Motor company of Japan. The first Gen gimny looked very much like a Jeep it also had a model name that was LJ (light Jeep)

Every off-roader you see now has been inspired by the bantam designed Jeep, which was later refined by Willy's, Ford etc for war effort. Lots of companies have build Jeeps under license, including Ssangyong, KIA, Mitsubishi, the list goes on and yes Mahindra perhaps produced them for the longest time under license.

The second generation Jimny with a longer wheelbase is what we have here in India, it sure looks cool. Jeep is more of a category of vehicle now than a brand name, you call a gimny a Jeep not the other way around!
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:58   #647
BHPian

I saw a Thar test mule today, in Electronic city phase 2, Huskur gate towards Sarjapur Road. Might have come for some testing in continental?

First thing, in that small road, it was looking humongous. Heavy road presence. I am not sure how they can make this car cheap unless they compromise on quality. Car easily looks like a 20 lac car.

Another issue I noticed is that, people in that area knows that there is a "mother-of-all-hump" infront of Waterford villas in that road. And the thar got stuck/switched off on top of it and he was not able to cross it for few seconds. May be the system got failed and he was not able to switch on the car. May be issues are still there and more intensive testing is required for this car.
petrol_power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 14:19   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Another issue I noticed is that, people in that area knows that there is a "mother-of-all-hump" infront of Waterford villas in that road. And the thar got stuck/switched off on top of it and he was not able to cross it for few seconds. May be the system got failed and he was not able to switch on the car. May be issues are still there and more intensive testing is required for this car.
That's a lot of "maybe's" to make based on one tiny little observation!! I don't think it's reasonable to make such a big claim/suggestion based on that.

From all the scoops we've had so far, it definitely looks like the new Thar is going to be a beast and game changer for the segment. Definitely looking forward to this one!
s4ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 14:31   #649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maybe the system got failed and he was not able to switch on the car. May be issues are still there and more intensive testing is required for this car.
Couldn't it just be that the driver stalled the vehicle in a higher gear?
Old 3rd March 2020, 00:05   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is most likely what happened. I am sure these test drivers are also getting used to this new vehicle and might not be as comfortable with the powerband. We don't know enough to make any judgements about the capabilities of the end product here.

I wonder when Mahindra is going to officially market it. They should take a page out of JLR's book and start well in advance.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:41   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First thing, in that small road, it was looking humongous. Heavy road presence.
Bigger than the current Thar?
Taller than the current Thar?

Quote:
And the thar got stuck/switched off on top of it and he was not able to cross it for few seconds. May be the system got failed and he was not able to switch on the car. May be issues are still there and more intensive testing is required for this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
This is most likely what happened. I am sure these test drivers are also getting used to this new vehicle and might not be as comfortable with the powerband. We don't know enough to make any judgements about the capabilities of the end product here.
Are you guys suggesting that new Thar has a change in engine (earlier one was 2.5L crde) and gearbox?
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:08   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Are you guys suggesting that new Thar has a change in engine (earlier one was 2.5L crde) and gearbox?
Its all but confirmed that the new Thar will have a different engine- most likely the 2.2 m-hawk and as per reports, eventually a 1.5 L direct injection petrol.

No idea about the gearbox, but it is safe to assume that it may sport the same gearbox as the XUV500
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:24   #653
BHPian

Quote:
We are suggesting that the driver isn't very good at driving.
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:56   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Bigger than the current Thar?
Taller than the current Thar?
Wider, for sure. I felt it was almost nearing to the width of Innova Crysta (my excitement made it look more wider, but I couldn't get a proper side by side view).

Height - taller than Innova crysta, looks like the same height as old THAR.

Attaching one pic I took while crossing him, in which you can see the height in which driver is seated (I was in a hatchback).
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200302_093409.jpg  

Last edited by petrol_power : 3rd March 2020 at 13:57.
petrol_power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:58   #655
BHPian

Few more soy shots of the NextGen Thar.
Credits to respective owners.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200303132434__01.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200303132452__01.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200303132507__01.jpg  

jigar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 18:00   #656
BHPian

Mahindra Thar launch confirmed for Mid-2020

Quote:
Mahindra has confirmed that the next-gen Thar will be launched in the first quarter of the next financial year (mid-2020).

The new Thar will be powered by a BS6-compliant version of Mahindra’s tried-and-tested 2.2-litre diesel engine. The engine is expected to put out around 140hp and come coupled with a 6-speed manual gearbox. An automatic gearbox option is also likely to make its way into the new Thar.

In addition to the diesel, Mahindra will also equip the new Thar with a 2.0-litre petrol unit from its mStallion family of engines. This unit will deliver a healthy 190hp and 380Nm of torque, and feature direct injection as well as turbo charging.
Now with that kinda power (190hp/380NM) we are gonna see a superfast 'Jeep', with sub-10sec 0-100 times.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...id-2021-416448

Last edited by sechebe : 5th March 2020 at 18:29.
sechebe is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 19:44   #657
Senior - BHPian

What is the veracity of such articles. Why isn't Mahindra conforming this themselves. Could be just another click bait type of article
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 20:26   #658
BANNED

Those petrol specs are in the 2.0L BMW Diesel ballparks. Either these numbers shall not see daylight on the production spec or with that TSI and a Turbo, this thing shall be well north of 20 big ones, again, the masses would be left high and dry in both the cases.
Torquedo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 16:56   #659
BANNED

2020 Mahindra Thar Sunroof Spied on Test – Launch by June

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharsunroofspied4.jpg
Quote:
Till now, multiple spyshots and videos of the second generation Thar have surfaced on the internet. Even near-production ready test mules have been spotted on many occasions. Detailed videos have also given us an insight as in what all should we expect from the interiors of the 2020 Thar. While we all know that with second gen Thar, Mahindra is focusing on creature comfort features, it is for the first time that a set of spyshots have confirmed the presence of a sunroof.

Last edited by wheelguy : 7th March 2020 at 16:59.
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 17:58   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope they provide the Wangler's freedom top kind of setup where the roof can be removed in pieces rather than a sunroof, it's perhaps better to have roof we can stand on rather than one to look through.

They can add sunroof instead to the new Scorpio top version as an option pack so that I can avoid it when buying it!
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks