Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:20   #691
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Does anyone have any idea what the markings/serial numbers mean?

They seem to come in three varieties:

1. The 'P' series. These are the ones spotted so far:

2. The temp registration based:
- TN19/TC/xxxx
- MH15/TC/xxxx
Sometimes they go beyond the four digits
example:
TN19/TC/XX/XXX

3. The 'K' series:

These sometimes have additional bits like V2, VPO-EXTN(XXX)
These relate to the internal builds possibly. The Proto vehicles can probably names with Pxx series, then the build vehicle build with tooled-up parts can probably be named in the Kxx series and so on.

I saw the 3-door variant on test last week. The mule had LED tail lamps, but the headlamp was the conventional halogen bulb type. The alloy was very tastefully done up, and had a gun-metal colour finish to it. The wheel was massive to - 255/65 R18 wheels to complement the butch stance. The interiors were rather nice too, with the high mounted large touch screen audio and modern looking instrument cluster.

This vehicle had oodles of presence, no denying that! These low resolution pictures don't do justice to the Thar at all.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200323_121150.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200323_121252.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:54   #692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The wheel was massive to - 255/65 R18 wheels to complement the butch stance. The interiors were rather nice too, with the high mounted large touch screen audio and modern looking instrument cluster.

This vehicle had oodles of presence, no denying that! These low resolution pictures don't do justice to the Thar at all.
The utility aspect of it appears to be gone, trending more towards an SUV now - means you cannot roll this down \ up the hill and expect not to break your bank on the way back home. In someways its good, Its just what my Wife would want to have, her only issue with the current one is that it cannot be locked properly due to the canvas top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Besides Maruti is sitting on excess capacity in in's plants and with the capacity shortage in the japan plant for Jimny, it is a wise move to start production in India.
True. Almost all manufacturers are sitting on excess capacity since the last few years, it would be stupid to go the CBU route. This is where I think whoever is bringing cars (the mass market ones) in CBU route is just providing some toys for the dealer to display for a while and then eventually shut down altogether.

The current Jimny appears to be too short to be useable, or maybe its the proportions that make it appears so, because our India Gypsy is a long wheelbase version and is very utility friendly, although it cannot carry much load like the Mahindra Jeeps.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 11:18   #693
Team-BHP Support

Is the hardtop fully transparent at the sides? Just noticed this, in one of the earlier Rushlane spyshots -

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharsunroofspied13.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindratharsunroofspied5.jpg

Notice how the camo has peeled off in this car, and how we can see through that section in the second picture.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 12:07   #694
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Notice how the camo has peeled off in this car, and how we can see through that section in the second picture.
As more info about this Thar becomes available I think it is aiming to be the Tata Sierra ( with the big windows) of the 2020s.

Something for 'Cool' folks to buy.

It is stepping away from its rural and Offroad roots.

Thats not a bad thing, but I hope something fills the vaccum left behind by Gypsys and the ''old' Jeeps.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 28th March 2020 at 18:23. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Old 28th March 2020, 15:18   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
As more info about this Thar becomes available I think it is aiming to be the Tata Sierra ( with the big windows) of the 2020s.

I don't think it will have the big Windows of Sierra as I had checked this point earlier with multiple spy shots.

Sierra was 4.3 mtr long whereas Thar would be around 4 mtr. So Thar will have regular window like any other SUV/car.

Also there were some spy shots from inside which shows that it is just normal sized glass windows with frames.
Old 28th March 2020, 16:22   #696
Senior - BHPian

New Thar is indeed looking menacing. Wonder if it can take 2" lift and 33" MT tyres. This would look ultimate monster then. Mahindra should offer customization upgrades. This would be Royal Enfield of cars, a body style that never went of style. Also, hope Mahindra throws in an automatic variant from the launch day itself and not a year later when the car loses newness.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 16:17   #697

Quote:
Is the hardtop fully transparent at the sides? Just noticed this, in one of the earlier Rushlane spyshots -

See the front of the vehicle, Mahindra has matured the vehicle to the point that it should be launched as an all new Armada Grand and not a Thar. Observe the front, its more Armada Grand than a Thar. Even the price that we are expecting will suit an all new Armada Grand than a Thar. But I still hope I'm proven wrong. I'm attaching a picture of Armada Grand for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200329013712__01.jpg  

Last edited by BlackPearl : 31st March 2020 at 02:11. Reason: Removed attachments from quoted post. Thanks.
SpeedyS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 20:52   #698
BHPian

This is surely going to be one of the top contenders I will be considering especially its Hard-top version, while I am out in the market for my next car.

Those who can not afford a Wrangler can surely consider this
Old 27th April 2020, 23:48   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Is the hardtop fully transparent at the sides?
From what i see in all the pics in this thread, I don't think its all glass on the sides (like Sierra). There is definitely body panels surrounding the side windows. I guess the red mark on the below pic will be the window area. Similar to the back side of the vehicle which is less camouflaged.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200427_211002.jpg
Old 2nd May 2020, 19:46   #700
BHPian

I guess the below snapshot would clarify everyone's doubt regarding the rear glass. This is a screenshot from one Youtube channel (malayalam language), in which he has collated pictures received from multiple sites.

Original link below:
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-side.jpg  

Last edited by petrol_power : 2nd May 2020 at 19:49.
petrol_power is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 20:36   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
This is a screenshot from one Youtube channel (malayalam language), in which he has collated pictures received from multiple sites.
There is also a sneak peek into the rear seat in that video.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar.jpg

In the wake of current situation, not sure if it is sensible to ask whether M&M still have a target date for launch?
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 08:17   #702
BANNED

2.0l turbo petrol mStallion engine with 187 BHP and 380 Nm!

My previous experience with turbo petrol motors (Irrespective of displacement) says that, "the heaviness of your right foot is directly proportional to the diameter of the hole they build on your wallet"; this one will probably have an exponential relationship

With 4x4 in place, brick type aerodynamics, and the kind of power output presented there. I am already expecting that diesel will cost lesser. Who exactly will buy this one, if Mahindra actually launches it?
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 08:19   #703
Senior - BHPian

With that kind of a body design, I dont see any possibility of side or curtain airbags. Looks like Mahindra will do just basic compliance of ABS and dual airbags. Although I would be happy to be proven wrong.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 08:21   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
2.0l turbo petrol mStallion engine with 187 BHP and 380 Nm!

My previous experience with turbo petrol motors (Irrespective of displacement) says that, "the heaviness of your right foot is directly proportional to the diameter of the hole they build on your wallet"; this one will probably have an exponential relationship

With 4x4 in place, brick type aerodynamics, and the kind of power output presented there. I am already expecting that diesel will cost lesser. Who exactly will buy this one, if Mahindra actually launches it?
I suppose no one will buy an "adventure lifestyle" vehicle with fuel efficiency as a deal maker/breaker. I personally dont mind a silent but powerful petrol 4x4 (aka better version of Gypsy) to satisfy my adventure needs.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 4th May 2020 at 08:22.
Old 4th May 2020, 08:44   #705
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I suppose no one will buy an "adventure lifestyle" vehicle with fuel efficiency as a deal maker/breaker. I personally dont mind a silent but powerful petrol 4x4 (aka better version of Gypsy) to satisfy my adventure needs.
I belong to the 'extremely high running' category and can't afford to have a car 'only for weekends' in my garage. If others are gone, she will have to serve me - rather simple.

I agree that adventure lifestyle vehicle and fuel efficiency 'may' not go hand in hand. But when you know that Leh, Kaza etc are on your cards time and again. Multiple hilly areas are where you travel a lot and a few more such acts (Count outings with friends too). Then having a vehicle which runs at 7 or 8 rupees per km (Even 10 at times), vs one that runs at 5 rupees per km makes a huge difference. Own it to believe it, I have a good experience of running those too!

Additionally, it's not the Toyota 2.7, it's still a 2.0. I am sure that it won't still have the same low end as the 2.2; and hence the crawl under the load won't be as good either.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks