Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 12:46   #1156
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Ananthan Ramkripa, Chief of Design highlights the increased width of the new Thar, and how it was important to eliminate styling cues, such as the side embossing that made the design look dated, while also retaining the Thar's signature silhouette.

Attachment 2043064
Wow, they have used the same image I did, and it's taken from Bhpian svsanthosh's thread (2000 Armada Grand 4WD). I wonder if he got any credit ?
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:46   #1157
BHPian

Looks a wee bit better with a mesh grill!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-new-microsoft-powerpoint-presentation.jpg  

Last edited by vinair : 15th August 2020 at 12:50.
vinair is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:47   #1158
BHPian

Having lived with the first gen Thar for 8 years (as a daily driven vehicle) - this new avatar is a very nice evolution both in terms of looks and features.

The only ambiguity is the fixed soft top Vs Convertible top Vs Hard Top. Of course the pricing as well.

My wish is for a sectional fiber type removable top - if that is there I am buying it without any question. Petrol Automatic LX .
sjcherian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:50   #1159
BHPian

I love the new Thar except for the front profile and the entertainment unit being relatively small.

Also, the features they have included are the most requested and I guess this one is going to sell in better numbers compared to the outgoing version. I do miss the electric ORVM, hope an aftermarket one might be available.

I'm a diesel lover primarily because of the torque. But looking at Petrol's torque numbers, I guess Petrol is now a better option when thinking about longevity, environment and experience.

I hope Petrol has the necessary overtaking capabilities on the highway. Anyways the low-end grunt can be controlled via the secondary lower gears so am more worried about the highway capabilities. The 6-speed gear is a good thought.

One question, do both the petrol and diesel are naturally aspirated or do they have some kind of turbocharger?

I started falling in love with Jeep SUVs, thanks to the government providing my dad with a jeep and at that time he allowed to tag along to his work once in a while. He also loves Jeeps and I wish I can gift him one.
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:51   #1160
VRJ
BHPian

So, there’s no mechanical locking differential for the LX lifestyle variant? It’s only present in the other variant? It’s like Hyundai not launching a top of the line automatic in the first gen Creta. Why can’t we have it all in one variant?
I’m impressed with the overall package, except for the grill, which looks straight up lame, just like the presenters of the event. However, the after-market will come to the rescue. This is the first time I’m seeing a petrol engine having more torque than its diesel counterpart. I think the hard top comes with two configurations. One that’s permanently fixed and one where we can remove the front and back panels of the roof as shown in the pictures. Mahindra should have demonstrated that in event, it would have been cool. Eagerly waiting for Team-BHP’s report.
VRJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:51   #1161
BHPian

This looks looovely. Especially the soft-top/open-top version. To be honest, a part of me feels bad that I already have the current-gen Thar and not this. The only consolation I can have, perhaps, is by telling myself that the soft-top would be too much of an effort to put on and thus not worth it. But deep inside I still know that's just sour grapes. And maybe that it would be priced too high.

And hey, we might have moved a long way from what Mr. Behram's Thar vision had been, but change isn't always bad, is it? This is the lifestyle + off-road vehicle many of us have been waiting for.

As for the hard-top version, it does look strikingly similar to the Jeep Wrangler. A senior of mine drives a Wrangler, and this just looks a smaller version of that. The infringement case would be interesting to follow, if Jeep sues.
Old 15th August 2020, 12:51   #1162
BHPian

Wow ! Can't stop drooling at it , thumbs up Mahindra for pulling this out even though there are a lot of Wrangler cues ! I'm loving it .

Wonder why no 2.0L new gen diesel ? Are they restricting the variant line up at the launch ? Anyway with Marazzo, XUV300 and new Thar , now we know where they are taking us with their new designs !!
Old 15th August 2020, 12:52   #1163
Senior - BHPian

All New Thar Reveal Film

Venkatesh is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:53   #1164
BHPian

Whats the tire size on the AX variant? The LX has 255 65 R18. An odd size which is not available in India now. So, limited options when you are looking to change tyres.

Never really waited so much for a car launch. Pricing is the key now. If they can do a Bolero like pricing atleast for the barebones AX, hardtop, diesel, manual variant i think they have a blockbuster.
Old 15th August 2020, 12:53   #1165
Senior - BHPian

A new pic posted by Sirish Chandran and he is driving the Soft-Top.

I think this is the best angle of the front, doesn't let the grille standout too much.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-43e2ed80c5304e69824978436528e8a0.jpeg

BTW he also mentioned that opinions are embargoed till 9pm.
avishar is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:53   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
*SNIP*

I don't understand the startegy of revealing prices at a later date . Why spend on another event to reveal prices and lose out of the excitement of product unveil?

*SNIP*
My thoughts - they want to price it really high, but they want to see what the general opinions of people are with respect to what they think and hope the pricing would be, and how much they would be willing to pay - so they're waiting to gauge all that before announcing pricing.

My fear is that because it will be priced high, it will drive the asking price of old Thars up rather than down. Already the asking prices are ridiculous.

And I heard that locking diff is available only in the manual transmission and not the autobox. I do not know if that is true, I am not too happy about that.

Plus, there was no mention of auto-locking hubs. Are they there or not? There was mention about brake-based diff in front - does that mean that auto-lock hubs are gone and it all depends on the brake now? And is the hill-descent control too going to be based on brakes rather than low-range crawl capacity?

Approach angle is worse than the old Thar, departure angle is significantly better than the old Thar. No info on the rampover angle of the old Thar, so cannot compare.

Wider track and longer wheel-base. Resulting in a larger turning radius, not as easy to get in and out of tight places, especially off-road?

I am sure the offroading capabilities would have been tested extensively at Igatpuri and that this car would be equally or more capable than the outgoing model, but I am afraid that no one would actually take it serious offroading because any damage to the independent multi-link rear suspension would be quite expensive to fix. This in my opinion will become more of a pavement princess than be used for actual offroading, not because of any lack of capability, but because people would be terrified of damaging stuff.

Comes with ABS and EBD. Can ABS be disabled if needed for offroad?

And finally it will come with the annoying speed-limit beeps I am sure heheheheh.

I hope that when Team-BHP does their review they include one of our offroading experts who will actually take the car proper offroading and test it comparing with the old Thar on the same trails.

And oh, that grill!

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 15th August 2020 at 12:55.
tilt is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:55   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Mahindra has absolutely nailed it(except for that out of place grill on an otherwise perfect design).

It will be interesting to see the pricing because unlike the original thar, this one feels premium in every aspect and since this falls into a niche category, Mahindra need not worry about customers cross shopping or opting for different body type. The buyers of thar will be looking for what only thar can offer. Can already foresee cash registers ringing for mahindra.
Old 15th August 2020, 12:57   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Whats the tire size on the AX variant? The LX has 255 65 R18. An odd size which is not available in India now. So, limited options when you are looking to change tyres. .
AX will have R16 steel wheels. Check the 3rd from last image in this post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4864833
Old 15th August 2020, 12:59   #1169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Whats the tire size on the AX variant? The LX has 255 65 R18. An odd size which is not available in India now. So, limited options when you are looking to change tyres.
I guess it is the same size as the old Thar CRDi's 235/70/R16s.
Old 15th August 2020, 13:02   #1170
Senior - BHPian

With a 2 door 4 seat configuration, the compact crossovers need not be worried. It will be used by young families or couples, not seniors.
I think it will still be a second car for most.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks