Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 20:16   #1276
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

How would the fiber-top (hard top) last in terms of build quality? There seem to be too many lines that are being formed in its fitment. The main concern is about leaking water. I hope the Thar has been "water hose" tested in the hard top configuration.
fhdowntheline is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:25   #1277
BHPian

All said and done, the main issue here after purchase would be quality control and service. It looks good , no doubt.

The grill, if an issue, can be sorted out easily.

Mahindra has done an appalling job with the old Thar in terms of both quality, fit and finish, and even service related issues. I can vouch for this as an existing owner of the 2015 version with brake and other issues. And that Thar was a relatively uncomplicated vehicle.

Now with all this gadgetry, convertible roof, that "drizzle-proof" display , things are bound to go wrong, sooner or later. They are like phones, and once they act up - hard to fix.

I am not 100% convinced regarding the aspect of quality and service, and until I see good ownership reviews, I will still be very cautious about this eye candy of a vehicle.
johy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:26   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a proper version 2 job done right. Kudos M&M.

They realized that of all people who buy the Thar, quite a good percentage do not take it offroad, rather bling up their cars for a nice lifestyle vehicle. And there's that large percentage who would love a lifestyle vehicle (that they would probably never take offroad), but do not like tinkering with new cars and so don't buy the Thar. With the new version, they got their bases covered and should be able to double or triple the sales if they price it right.

M&M should remember that the due to the 2 + 2 seating and zero boot space, this would be the second or third car in the household - the pricing should take the same into consideration.

Rocky Beige and Grey are two of the colors I like.

Also, how does one open the rear glass on the hardtop version? The spare wheel seems to obstruct a swing out option - does it swing in?
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:37   #1279
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Thar coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
Does it get electically adjustable orvms? I can't see the knob anywhere nor any mention in the feature list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I have the same question going on in my mind. From what I have seen, there is not even internally adjustable manual ORVMs. Hope there is an after mark available.
As per the specification list on the Thar's website, electrical adjustment controls are only available in the top trim LX variant. AX receives regular manual adjusters.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screen-shot-20200815-20.36.41.png  

Gixxy.danger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:44   #1280
BHPian

Adding two more pictures in the Napoli Black shade, showing a clear rear profile.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-psx_20200815_204217.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-psx_20200815_204158.jpg  

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 15th August 2020 at 20:50.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:49   #1281
BANNED

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Thar coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I have the same question going on in my mind. From what I have seen, there is not even internally adjustable manual ORVMs. Hope there is an after mark available.
It has electrically adjustable ORVMs as per official website
Gladiator_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:51   #1282
Senior - BHPian

The biggest improvements on the Thar for me has to be the following:
1. The diesel and petrol engines
2. The multilnk suspension at the rear

These address two of the biggest drawbacks of the previous generation Thar, the choppy ride and a relatively low powered engine. The power of the engine again depends on the ability of the suspension to put it down on the ground. Mahinda engineers seemed to have benchmarked and found it extremely stable at 160 kmph.

So it is pretty clear what Mahindra is aiming at. The Jeep Wrangler wannabees who just can't afford a Jeep Wrangler or the Rubicon. Which isn't so much of a bad strategy though. And if they can get people to pay 14L-15L for this the margins would be wicked. Also from the comments it seems a lot of existing Thar owners may want to upgrade to this as well.

However to me, the old world charm of the previous Thar still remains and the new one still does not improve sufficiently to change my attitude towards buying one. It is still a 2+2 with the passenger seats good for kid and averagely built adults. And you would definitely need a roof rack for the luggage.

The front seats in the current Thar were limited in travel by the rear step in the chassis and it seems the same in the current iteration as well.

I like the way the speakers are integrated into the roof but wouldn't the sound be a nuisance when playing loud music with the sound coming round about your ears. Waiting for the reviews.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 15th August 2020 at 20:53.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:54   #1283
Distinguished - BHPian

Not bad Mahindra, not bad at all

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_202008152050132.png
PrasannaDhana is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:58   #1284
BHPian

I wish it has a Removable hard top like the Wrangler.
From the pics it seems like it should have it, but from the brochure it looks like it will only have a soft top convertible (Which will feel cheap)
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-harkenhoisterjeepdemo2500x500_large_6a56cf1a895648419ceb0002cd8d5d42_grande.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-hqdefault.jpg
123.rishabh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 21:00   #1285
Team-BHP Support

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00919.jpg

I attended the Freedom Drive that Mahindra had organized today. Here are my quick & brief observations:

• The new Thar looks far more modern than the outgoing model. One might mistake it for the Wrangler.

• The new styling makes it much easier to fit into the urban landscape. It does not look as agricultural as the old car.

• LED DRLs, LED tail-lamps, 18” deep silver alloy wheels and bodykit make sure the car stands out on the street.

• It turns heads like nothing else on our roads. By and large, I love the styling and most people seem to do so as well. I lost count of the number of thumbs ups I got from bystanders, bikers, cyclists, etc on the 3 hour long drive. The only thing I am not so sure about is the grille.

• The Thar appears strongly built. The doors and bonnet have a good deal of weight to them.

• External fit and finish are way better than before. Shut lines, though not as tight as sedans and hatchbacks, seemed uniform all over the car.

• Apart from a fixed soft top, it is available with convertible soft top and a factory fitted hard top. I drove the hard top and am happy to report that it kept the interior completely dry even in pouring rain.

• Central locking with a flippy key, but no keyless entry & go.

• Doors have leather straps to hold them from swinging out. No stages in the opening action.

• Ingress & egress (like all Mahindra off-roaders) are only for the fit and flexible. The floor of the Thar is high off the ground and you have to climb into the front and squeeze yourself thorough a tiny space to get into the rear.

• Cabin width has increased compared to the old Thar.

• Quality of the Interiors are a giant leap ahead compared to the old car. There are no inconsistencies anywhere. Dashboard and other plastics are all hard, but they are among the best I have seen used in Mahindra cars. Some parts are lifted from other Mahindra vehicles.

• Black interior with silver, chrome and piano black inserts looks premium and upmarket. People coming from “modern” cars will not miss much in the Thar. This is now a properly acceptable interior and not a “jugaad” like the old car. There are no sharp or rough edges anywhere.

• Dashboard is still not very deep, but it’s better than before. You don’t feel like you are wearing the windshield like a giant pair of spectacles like before.

• Hard top comes with fixed glasses instead of the transparent plastic like the soft top. This makes the all-round visibility a little better. There are still some blind spots though (caused by B-pillar + passenger seat, thick C-pillars).

• IRVM is small. Rearward visibility is hampered by tailgate mounted spare wheel and rear headrests.

• Front windows are bigger than before, but still, the amount of light coming into the cabin is not great. All-black interior theme makes things dark. Still, it will be easier to conceal stains.

• Seats have good bolstering on the sides. Driver’s seat is height adjustable and both front seats get lumbar adjustment and offer good support overall. Front seats might be a bit too snug for larger occupants. No problem for a skinny guy like me. Seat fabric, faux leather and stitching all seem to be of acceptable quality.

• There is a huge improvement in the ergonomics department. Almost everything falls easily to hand. The only problem I found was the placement of the buttons to operate the MID. They are located below the RHS air-con vent. The steering comes in the way and you will find them difficult to see and operate them while driving.

• No dead pedal has been provided. I had to rest my foot on the floor as if I was sitting at my dining table. That got uncomfortable after some time. It would have been better if I could stretch it out and rest it on a proper dead pedal.

• Steering wheel is thick and soft. It has thumb contours as well. Feels nice to hold and turn. It is also adjustable for height.

• Bonnet release is cleverly hidden under the dashboard on the driver’s side.

• Power windows and power adjustable ORVMs have been provided. They are a boon. No need to stretch across the cabin to and wind up/down the window or adjust the left ORVM any more.

• Doorpad is wide and a tall driver can rest his arm on its top comfortably. Of course an armrest has been provided below as well. What I missed was a center armrest. I was driving the petrol automatic variant and the dead pedal and center armrest would have made the experience complete.

• Air-con worked effectively. The hard top and rainy conditions might have helped matters. I have a complaint about the 4-speed blower though. It gets loud from level two itself.

• Touchscreen head-unit is a welcome feature.

• Speakers are mounted on the roof. This might be helpful when you are wading through water. Single cabin lamp is placed next to them.

• Center console has a couple of proper cupholders and a slot to place your smartphone.

• Glovebox is really tiny.

• Passenger side sunvisor gets a vanity mirror without a light or cover. Driver side unit gets a ticket holder.

• Front facing rear seats are split in a 50:50 ratio. They have adjustable headrests and ISOFIX child seat anchors. They are suitable for small to moderate sized adults only. Anyway, large adults will find it really difficult to get into the rear.

• Sides of the cabin have carpeting. Helps keep noise out.

• With the rear seats in place, the boot space is comparable to that of a small hatchback. People + vacation luggage is a no go in this one.

• To access the boot, one has to open the tailgate first and then lift the glass hatch.

• Mahindra has done well to offer the Thar with both petrol and diesel engines as well as manual and automatic gearboxes. A 4x4 system is offered as well. This will increase the appeal of the vehicle.

• Very little body shake on start-up and shut down.

• Petrol engine is quiet at idle and low revs. There are mild vibrations felt on the steering and seat though.

• Petrol is brisk, but doesn’t feel quick. With this one, it feels good to build up speed gradually rather than flog it.

• Turbo lag, if any, is masked well by the automatic transmission.

• Revv hard and the engine gets vocal. The noise filters into the cabin from the engine bay. Still, it’s quiet compared to the clatter of the old Thar.

• Automatic makes the Thar easy to manage in the city, particularly in stop & go traffic.

• Transmission shifts up at the earliest. It is smooth shifting. I didn’t feel any jerks during the drive. Foot hard down, the gearbox shifts up at ~ 4,500 rpm.

• Gearbox does get confused from time to time, especially while driving aggressively. It’s not very responsive to throttle inputs. Kickdown time is not quick. I used manual mode when I needed to get a move on. It is best to drive the Thar in a relaxed fashion.

• Ride is slightly better than the old car. But, don’t be mistaken. It is not comparable to sedans or even budget hatchbacks. Every bump on the road is felt inside. Even on a tar surface, the suspension will find a bump to relay to its occupants. Shift from a tar to a concrete surface and the difference is immediately felt. The ride gets properly choppy.

• Straight line stability is poor at high speeds. The car gets bouncy over joints.

• Handling is still old-school. Forget low slung sedans, this is not even close to the XUV500. This car is not meant for cornering.

• Steering is not very light at slow speeds. This might not go well with some when parking in tight spots or driving through crowded areas.

• Thanks to the hard top, there is no flapping of a canvas roof. The cabin is much quieter overall. Sounds of other cars’ horns and other noises are kept outside. Wind and road noise were not heard either.

• Brakes work fine. I did some hard braking from 80 km/h and the car stopped without any drama.

• Safety kit includes dual airbags, ABS, ESP, roll cage, child seat anchors, seatbelt reminders, hill-hold, hill descent control and more.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00886.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00891.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00895.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00897.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00959.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00936.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00941.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00999.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00998.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2021 at 17:17.
Aditya is offline   (267) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 21:01   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Also, how does one open the rear glass on the hardtop version? The spare wheel seems to obstruct a swing out option - does it swing in?
The rear hatch is openable right? And then swing the glass up. Nope?

On another note, no interior video showing the boot space. Probably there is nothing there?
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 21:06   #1287
BHPian

Videos coming in.

Last edited by arungeorge : 15th August 2020 at 21:08.
arungeorge is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 21:25   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

On another note, no interior video showing the boot space. Probably there is nothing there?
The ZigWheels video review shows the bootspace on offer.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200815211943__01.jpg
Saurav_Nair is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 21:38   #1289

I took only 3 mins for what Mahindra took 3 yrs >> copy+paste+edit

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-untitled.jpg
bkunnithan is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 21:40   #1290
Senior - BHPian

The bootspace is on par with the Euro market Jimny.
Nithesh_M is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks