Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 02:08   #1351
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

With new Thar, the macho character one associate with it is lost a bit. Thar trying to become someone else isn't a great thing, it has lost its rugged look with this make over. Yes, Mahindra's attempt is to give the best of both worlds - an all rounder of sorts but at the cost of losing it's quintessential identity !

Is the front overhang a bit too much, I just wonder.

One advantage is those families who earlier couldn't buy it as a primary car can consider this now. Yes a fresher look would make heads turn but only to die that down later. I still like the old Thar by the way and feel it had a timeless design than the new avatar. Have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images.jpeg10.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images.jpeg11.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images.jpeg12.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 02:09   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Now I hope MSIL to bring in JIMNY but I’m sure it’ll still not match upto the stance of the new THAR!

I hope Tata was watching this and not sure why they aren’t resurrecting Sierra brand

I am honestly impressed with the THAR even though it reminds me of the wrangler.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 02:11   #1353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I've clearly not said that. I agree that it might sound too casual. But spare me for being amazed by the fact that the soft top did not need another room or a garage for it to be stored. (That video is mine)

The problem is with the time available. If the brands allow for more time with the car, I would have tried better
Absolutely, I agree! And yes you do mention the fact that the soft top does not have to be stored at home anymore, and it is a good development by Mahindra.

I apologise if my posts came across as a bit too rude, I did not mean any offence. You're right, it is probably due to the brand-imposed time constraint. Have a great day! Cheers!
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 02:17   #1354
Senior - BHPian

I initially liked the new Thar. Even my wife who isn't too happy with my car obsession didn't say anything negative when i showed her images of the new Thar. She usually does. Everything looked rosy to me till i started looking at the front view of the car and the old Mahindra Armada image came flooding into my brain which looks like it has been reworked by DC Design. All of a sudden i felt like i was losing interest already in the new Thar. Why, Mahindra do you sabotage yourself time and again?. Remember the KUV100?. You are like the Scary Spice of car makers in India. If i decide to buy the new Thar i would have to seriously budget in monies for a new bumper or something to cover it. Good Luck to Mahindra Motor for the success of the new Thar.

Last edited by SDP : 19th August 2020 at 15:07. Reason: XUV100 changed to KUV100
nickatnite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 02:23   #1355
Distinguished - BHPian

I loved it!

Had it been launched in 2018, I would have bought the LX diesel instead of the Duster AWD!

Things I would have gained-

Stunning looks with better road presence.
A more proper offroader with a low range.
Mahindra service centers are a easy find.

Things I would have missed-

The awesome ride and handling.
A proper 5 seater car with rear doors!
Boot space.

Buying a Thar was always a heart over mind decision and this car deserves it.
A sensible pricing by M&M will be the icing on the cake.

Last edited by Samba : 16th August 2020 at 02:26.
Samba is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 04:46   #1356
BHPian

The new gen Thar definitely looks like a good upgrade from the previous gen on the paper and designed to appeal to a larger base. I am one among them. I might pick the LX Petrol Automatic variant, but will wait out a year to let mahindra iron out initial issues. Based on the first drive reviews so far, suspension might need an upgrade for a better on-road ride quality.

Last edited by SDP : 19th August 2020 at 16:16. Reason: Non-standard characters removed
Old 16th August 2020, 05:15   #1357
Senior - BHPian

This is a rip off for sure of the Wrangler and the only thing Mahindra designed themselves is the hideous front grille so all the diddly dooya in the launch video about design inspiration is all blah and frankly pretty hollow. Even the interiors have taken more than an inspiration from the Wrangler especially the roof mounted speakers.

Does it mean that I dont like it? No! I love it. I just wish Mahindra put some more originality into the design, inside out. Also this is the day we stop mocking Chinese companies for copying designs. Thar is as blatant as design copy as they come. I wonder what hard core Wrangler enthusiasts have to say about this in US

Last edited by extreme_torque : 16th August 2020 at 05:22.
extreme_torque is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 06:09   #1358
Senior - BHPian

I dont get this bit though: suddenly, Mahindra felt it apt to plonk in a proper AT and a powerful petrol on a relatively crude off-road product like Thar ?
So what were they doing with the more refined ‘cars’ like XUV3OO, Marazzo or ‘5OO ?
Also, if the Thar can have dual airbags and ESP as standard ,why not have 6 airbags and ESP as standard across the others? The logic just beats me.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 16th August 2020 at 06:11.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 07:29   #1359
BHPian

The level of pseudoness here surprised me. One one hand we are ready to accept any ripoff Chinese product heartily (case in point the OnePlus) however hold a different yardstick for indian companies? Does Jeep Inc hold a patent for the wrangler design? Even landrover couldn't protect the defender shape how can jeep?

The second thing, the same hue and cry on how a "macho" , "iconic" shape is lost. This is similar to the warcry of the hardcore bulletiers who said the icon was lost when RE introduced the 650cc twins. Yet these same "warriors" go out in hordes and buy the twins. What I do realise is there is too much talk amongst us indians which mean zilch. A company may hear all about what's needed in a modern jeep and build you one, however the cry starts on it being either too soft and not jeep enough or it is still crude enough not to be a primary car. This yardstick applies only to the Indian car makers, the moment it is a foreign brand, any garbage they dish out is gold for us indians.

Last edited by AirbusCapt : 16th August 2020 at 07:35.
AirbusCapt is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 07:41   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Its been less than 24 hours since the new Thar landed in our midst, but here are the 5 things that I wish the new generation had. I am not going to talk about the overall design language, at least the lurkers on this very thread kinda knew what was coming our way for the past 3.5 years. So, I wasn't really surprised at all on the resemblance to Wrangler. And now, I honestly do not know what to make of it! Anyways, let's get on with the what I had in my mind.

1) Rear disc brakes - they should have added it - at least as an optional extra.
2) Pull type handles for the door. What are flaps doing in 2020? Doesn't sit well with the rest of the car. Besides the tail gate gets that chunky handle.
3) Remote release for the fuel tank - No, I don't want to get out while filling fuel. Especially nowadays.
4) 16 or even 17" wheels on the LX in the interest of comfort, availability and cost of good tyres.
5) The finish of the interior trim for the rear window is certainly off - the way it is fitted to be exact, I can see a lot of wrinkles - hopefully it will be fixed in production. I don't mind the carpet finish - that gives it an alcantara vibe which is always good. And the more we avoid plastic trim on the inside of a Jeep, the better.

Also, I hope Toyota-Suzuki is watching all the action here on this thread since yesterday with a slight burn in their heart. Or the secondary profit-making brain they got instead of the heart! They got to get the Jimny here - and with a 6 speed AT please! We need both vehicles - for our sake. The Thar to put Jimny in its place and vice versa! A good market is all about options and I am sure there will be takers for both. Over to you and your cash pile, Toyota-Suzuki!
deetjohn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 08:29   #1361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Just couldn't help grinning when 'SUVs' like Jeep Compass and Ecosport pass-by like small hatchbacks.

Attachment 2043306
Isn't that the charm of our old school SUVs?

This was from my Storme

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-68964004_10220479727331758_3440003967822594048_o2.jpg
PrasannaDhana is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 08:48   #1362
BHPian

More than the grill, it is the fuel lid that is bugging me. No way I will switch off the engine and get down to get it tanked!! How could they leave it that way? It has cruise control, but not electrically operated fuel lid!
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 08:53   #1363
BHPian

Can the entire top be removed in the Hard top version? Or is it only the front and rear roof panels?

No review videos seem to be clear on this. Autocar showed a video of the front roof panel above the front seats to be removable. But no clarity on the rear roof panel or the rear window/back windscreen units.
Old 16th August 2020, 08:57   #1364
Senior - BHPian

To add to the blatant copying, they have even copied some of the stuff for the infotainment screens. Off road screen in Mahindra = Adventure pages in the Jeep. Even some of the graphics with a bit of change in colors is eerily similar. Wowzies!
Old 16th August 2020, 09:08   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
Can the entire top be removed in the Hard top version? Or is it only the front and rear roof panels?

No review videos seem to be clear on this. Autocar showed a video of the front roof panel above the front seats to be removable. But no clarity on the rear roof panel or the rear window/back windscreen units.

Hard top can not be removed, only doors can be removed in hardtop version.

I wish Mahindra had copied the 4 door version of wrangler, then Thar would have given a tough game to competitors. Now even if one tries to convince oneself to buy this 2 door version, its almost impossible to convince one's family; leave old people even slightly above average built young person will have a hard time getting in and out, especially when he/she is the 3rd passenger
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-j2.jpg  

Last edited by cmani0000 : 16th August 2020 at 09:10.
cmani0000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed