Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 09:14   #1366

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
Can the entire top be removed in the Hard top version? Or is it only the front and rear roof panels?

No review videos seem to be clear on this. Autocar showed a video of the front roof panel above the front seats to be removable. But no clarity on the rear roof panel or the rear window/back windscreen units.
Yes I would like to know if the roof can be opened up ?
Old 16th August 2020, 09:19   #1367
BHPian

The sheer amount of interest this car has generated is amazing. Says a lot about the preparation put in by Mahindra and Kudos to them where it is deserved.

I would like to share some observations based on the video reviews and launch event.

1. This is a definite improvement over the last gen THAR.
2. Mahindra had listened and acted on every feedback received from the customers
3. The desirability of the product has increased many times with the updates.
4. Petrol 4X4 AT combo was a space/segment yet unexplored, love it

Now some concerns I have:
1. Small stuff like second row armrests missing, dead pedal in AT, finishing on the wheel arches on the second row is not great. Could have been better utilized.
2. Rear view camera is missing but I guess can be fitted as an aftermarket accessory
3. Ingress and Egress will be tough for the not so young family members
4. Pricing has to start again from 10 lakhs to keep the purists happy and the higher variants can go up to 14 / 15 lakhs
5. Positioning will be critical – see the off-road enthusiasts, farmhouse owners, bros from hinterlands will all be excited.
But now really think for a second, can this car be your daily ride to office, city commute and highway cruiser, all in one ?
I am only concerned on the long distance tourer part whether this can be a comfortable highway muncher ? Given the wider stance, in city maneuverability in traffic will be tight.

Sure as a second car why not, specially the Auto, 4X4 are nice to show off in the city.

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 16th August 2020 at 09:40. Reason: adding the point for dead pedal
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 09:26   #1368
Distinguished - BHPian

Media Drive:

Quote:
New Mahindra Thar nice chunky front bumper, weak re-designed grille, new side graphic with ‘A’ shaped cabin, hard-top looks super cool, a close look at the new wheel-arch and slim fender.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-efgssclucaihny2.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-efgsscmuwaatqcn.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-efgsscnvoaa_71u.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 09:27   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post

The second thing, the same hue and cry on how a "macho" , "iconic" shape is lost. This is similar to the warcry of the hardcore bulletiers who said the icon was lost when RE introduced the 650cc twins. Yet these same "warriors" go out in hordes and buy the twins. This yardstick applies only to the Indian car makers, the moment it is a foreign brand, any garbage they dish out is gold for us indians.
More than anything else,
I expect that we apply uniform standards of quality for automotive products. ( including safety). We are ready to nitpick on those that provide quality and safety, and celebrate mediocrity in the name of macho, rugged appeal.
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 09:41   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
The level of pseudoness here surprised me. One one hand we are ready to accept any ripoff Chinese product heartily (case in point the OnePlus) however hold a different yardstick for indian companies? Does Jeep Inc hold a patent for the wrangler design? Even landrover couldn't protect the defender shape how can jeep?

The second thing, the same hue and cry on how a "macho" , "iconic" shape is lost. This is similar to the warcry of the hardcore bulletiers who said the icon was lost when RE introduced the 650cc twins. Yet these same "warriors" go out in hordes and buy the twins. What I do realise is there is too much talk amongst us indians which mean zilch. A company may hear all about what's needed in a modern jeep and build you one, however the cry starts on it being either too soft and not jeep enough or it is still crude enough not to be a primary car. This yardstick applies only to the Indian car makers, the moment it is a foreign brand, any garbage they dish out is gold for us indians.
Logged in after a long time to just agree with your post sir!!!!

One of the biggest known Jeep lovers on this forum, GTO has given a thumbs up to Mahindra's effort with the new THAR, yet our arm chair enthusiasts seem to have a problem with the grill of all things. How many times have we discussed on this very forum about the patent infringement angle.

Looks to me like not being "phoren" enough and hence not automatically being a premium or desirable product is the main issue here. A Chinese pseudo SUV passing itself off as a "British Icon" gets our hard earned money, but a really sincere effort to emulate the best out there is a ripoff, copy-paste, joke, whatnot. What if Mahindra had totally redesigned the thar to look something like an Ecosport, everyone would have been crying that they destroyed an icon.

The level of "pseudo automotive enthusiasm" on this forum is completely turning me off these days. I would rather read the comments section on some random youtube videos and have a few laughs than having to go through teambhp posts off-late.

No wonder people Behram sir, who literally dedicated their lives to build an ethusiast's car had no good things to say about the enthusiast crowd. We ask for the impossible and even when a homegrown company manages to achieve 90% of that, we crib and cry about irrelevant stuff and then the actual sales numbers go to the chinese, koreans, americans even who we know are charging a bomb.

GTO hope you are listening.
DReddy is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 09:46   #1371
BHPian

This is still not a practical vehicle or urban vehicle as promoted by M&M. My reasons below
  • Ingress/Egress for backseat is a circus feat.
  • Fuel lid cannot be opened from inside. It has key mechanism outside.
  • Boot opening mechanism also requires key.
  • Can fit only 1 suitcase and bag in the boot.

In no world I can sell this vehicle as urban vehicle to my family members. This can still be a 2nd or 3rd car at home.

Don't get me wrong, but if you need a practical butch vehicle, please look for XUV 500 or Harrier.

Expected prices as per Autocar is 12-15 lakhs.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 09:53   #1372
BHPian

Interesting things come to mind

1) I would wait for mmc version 1.2 for any 'niggles' to disappear.

2) As usual, Maruti still thinking if there is a market for 2 door utility vehicle in India (jimny)
Old 16th August 2020, 10:01   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Wow, not many cars generate this much buzz. The Thar looks really good. Does it have a solid axle in the front?

The old Thar was popular as it was reasonably priced and offered a proper 4x4 drivetrain. If Mahindra is not chasing volumes, they are going price it too high for a car with many compromises

p.s. Going forward, can we expect this list of 50 observations with every new car?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 16th August 2020 at 10:03.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 10:07   #1374
BHPian

A view from one of the lead designers at Mahindra - Nilay Dembi - a long timer.

His interpretation of the process and thoughts in the ongoing journey.

A couple more views

Last edited by PM - B : 16th August 2020 at 10:17.
PM - B is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 10:18   #1375
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep and Thar! Coincidence?

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-efhbqdbuwaavph1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th August 2020 at 10:20.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 10:22   #1376
BHPian

Evo India's text review is live - I liked product and quality and got satisfaction at the end from my purchase what else i wanted
Old 16th August 2020, 10:34   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Just couldn't help grinning when 'SUVs' like Jeep Compass and Ecosport pass-by like small hatchbacks.

Attachment 2043306
Yes. I love it when pseudo tall van-hatches masquerading as "SUVS" get put back in their place
rageshgr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 10:35   #1378
BHPian

I'm one of the few who is a tad underwhelmed with this. Most feel that Mahindra has done what Tata couldn't. However if you look closely past the Wrangler clothes, this is still an extremely impractical car for a majority just like the earlier version.
- 3 door and the ground clearance mean it's only for those who are fit and don't have senior citizens/small kids at home. Getting back there to put your child in a child seat every time will be a pain. Good luck asking your better half to do it!
- Suspension is only marginally better. This means it's ruled out for most driving around on our potholed roads.
- Highway stability is poor. That means it's ruled out for those traveling with their families and value their safety.
- An auto 4x4 is good on paper. But does Mahindra have the technical chops on software and firmware to ensure it performs as well as manual off road? Maybe they do but I'm not betting on it.
-no boot space which means it's dead for family vacations.

I'm not too judgmental on looks since that's a personal preference. But this still falls into the hobbyist, adventure junkie market as against a car you could use as a daily driver. It's for those who are well heeled to buy a second car but not well heeled enough to buy a Wrangler.

Sorry, but I prefer Tata's products. At least you don't feel like you're driving a cheap imitation of something you can't afford. I would've really been stoked if Mahindra has put in serious effort into the ride, suspension, electronics, engines instead of spending their time knocking the Wrangler design off. They could've stuck with the original design and improved on the technicals.

Last edited by SDP : 23rd August 2020 at 22:56. Reason: Ruled -> ruled out
yd_gli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 10:35   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxy.danger View Post
As per the specification list on the Thar's website, electrical adjustment controls are only available in the top trim LX variant. AX receives regular manual adjusters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator_1 View Post
It has electrically adjustable ORVMs as per official website
Thank you for finding it out. Though it's a minor feature, it helps when navigating narrow ghat roads or parallel parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I'm one of the few who is a tad underwhelmed with this. Most feel that Mahindra has done what Tata couldn't. However if you look closely past the Wrangler clothes, this is still an extremely impractical car for a majority just like the earlier version.
Maybe the next iteration in a year or two might have improvements. Almost all the products in India have gone through improvements when the community gave them feedback.

I hope Mahindra will keep their ears open. By the way my favourite as of now is still TATA Hexa 4x4 but within city limits it's almost like a bus and all time favoutire was the Skoda Yeti 4x4 though it was overpriced for its specs.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Also, please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th August 2020 at 11:24. Reason: Mod note attached.
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 10:58   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Loved it to the absolute core.

Be it the design (I don't care much about the grille), the stance, the cabin, etc., everything seems to be spot on, quite unusual of Mahindra.

Frankly, I never expected them to spend so much time and resources on a niche product, which I am quite sure even they know will never bring in sales volumes. But I whole-heartedly thank them for launching the new Thar and catering to the few enthusiasts and more importantly, keeping their history and lineage alive!

However, after reading the comments, I do wish to comment on the below:

1. People complaining about the practicality - Guys, it's not rocket science. This is a two door off road vehicle, so comparing the boot space, ingress/egress or rear seat space to a proper 4 door family UV is futile! Were we really expecting the Thar to replace an Innova in the house? I mean, even if Mahindra aims to make it more urban friendly, it cannot be a replacement to a proper 4 door car. So it is understandable that this cannot be a primary family car, except for a few who can live with some compromises. At best, it is a notable practical upgrade to the previous Thar (with the improved NVH, creature comforts, etc.). And we need to commend Mahindra for that.

2. Styling copied/inspired from Wrangler - Why do you think the Wrangler still retains the same styling over all these years? Both the Thar and Wrangler are in a way, derivatives of the classic Willy's Jeep and they have both stuck to their roots and carried on with the same design. There is a cult following for such cars and radically changing the design will mean disaster for the "Thar" brand. And Mahindra has legal rights to this design, else FCA would have even sued the original Jeep or older Thar for infringement. So, please hold your horses. This is not a copy, this is just continuing the same design language for a historic vehicle, much like the Wrangler, Beetle, Mini, etc.
raj_5004 is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks