Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 10:00   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: It's a Thar. It needs an offroad bumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Gray just transforms the car. Old school Jonga vibes. Rocky Beige and Grey are my favorite colours for the Thar.

Attachment 2043182
Now it looks really good. Cool. These bumpers and insect mesh for the front grille will appear in the aftermarket very soon along with some coil spring, gas charged shockers and suspension options.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 10:01   #1472
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
In very simple terms:

Articulation is the tilt/skew of the wheels. The feel that you get as if the wheels will break off if they get tilted sideways any further.

Suspension travel is up/down as we all know
But in an IFS, the tilt is almost non existent when compared to a solid axle. Articulation in an IFS vehicle would be the max range of mechanical movement (which is also an up and down movement as far as the wheel is concerned) allowed by the upper and lower control arms IMO.

Suspension setup would decide how much of that range of movement is usable.
sharc_biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 10:15   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
In very simple terms:

Articulation is the tilt/skew of the wheels. The feel that you get as if the wheels will break off if they get tilted sideways any further.

Suspension travel is up/down as we all know
Thanks for replying. But the more I look online, articulation seems to be an up-down movement. Anyway, I'll cease and desist with my noobness and carry on with my OT learning elsewhere.

Quote:
Axle articulation is vertical wheel travel – as in, how far the axle can move up and down relative to the chassis. Articulation is what allows the vehicle keep all four tires in contact with the ground on rough terrain, which provides better stability and allows the vehicle to maintain traction.

An RTI ramp is commonly used to determine a vehicle’s Ramp Travel Index (RTI) score. The RTI score indicates the amount of articulation, actually suspension flex because the amount of articulation is really dependent on all of the suspension components.
Source:https://www.drivingline.com/articles...tion-got-flex/

Quote:
Articulation refers to vertical wheel travel, i.e. how far up and down the suspension allows each wheel to move. The better the articulation, the better the chances of the wheel remaining in contact with the ground, thus maintaining positive traction. Articulation is largely defined and affected by the type of axle (solid or independent), and the damping system (coil or leaf sprung).
Source:http://www.wittenburg.co.uk/OffRoadi...uspension.html
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 10:16   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
But in an IFS...suspension setup would decide how much of that range of movement is usable.
Yes correct. But I tried to explain articulation and suspension in easiest term wherein we can see sideways tilt like in a solid axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Thanks for replying. But the more I look online, articulation seems to be an up-down movement. Anyway, I'll cease and desist with my noobness and carry on with my OT learning elsewhere.
It "is" up and down. Suspension (suspension travel to be precise) and articulation can be explained by this video which also includes case of IFS.

Last edited by RavSam : 17th August 2020 at 10:29.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 10:20   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps it is for the first time ever that Mahindra have a Petrol engine anywhere in their dictionary.

Where has it come from ? Origins, development history, Mahindra design and vendor developed or they have picked it up from somewhere, Ford perhaps and rebadged it as M Stallion.

The quality and life of these Ceat CZAR tyres is also suspect. Very much in an unknown zone. Hate to see standards going down. When the earlier versions came with Bridgestone H/T as OE the natural progression should be the same HT 689 or upgrade to AT 693 which would be superb for a new Thar.
Old 17th August 2020, 10:28   #1476
BHPian

One more vlog from freedom drive, just usual stuff nothing great.

Is that our moderator Aditya? Hi, there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I attended the Freedom Drive that Mahindra had organized today. Here are my quick & brief observations:
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200817102234.jpg

Last edited by varunswnt : 17th August 2020 at 10:32.
varunswnt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 10:55   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Dhabar Breham you will always remain as a true friend in my memory. I write this today missing you. The father of THAR.

Thar NG or Neo with winglets! What do we have here ?
A formula Scorpio. Finally the chassis body panels and the front & rear suspensions are all Scorpio.

Very kind of Mahindra to have sent me an invite to the launch event, but in these pandemic times best to avoid any crowded place.

In October 2013 after upmteen problems with CJ3Bs and MM550 I had finally settled for a Thar, getting rid of the older generation Jeeps.

After almost seven years of ownership and driving a Thar for 85,000 KM now what were the main issues with the older Thar? Have they been addressed ?

Very poor quality glass. Too much reflection and glare even in daytime.

The targa band created a very wide B pillar set up. Extremely poor visibility on U turns.

Badly missed electrically operated mirrors. It was a pain to get down and adjust the LHS mirror. Also difficulties at gas stations or with roadside vendors as the LHS side window was not electrically operated.

A very rudimentary Climate control system. The AC was of 90's design and the heating was there but very harsh. A window had to be opened partially after 15 minutes or the heating had to be turned off an on intermittently when on the return leg after an offroad adventure on cold foggy North Indian winter nights. This was subsequently improved when the system picked up from Bolero was upgraded.

Very poor quality electrical switches and relays. Absolute aftermarket standard. Led to frequent fixes over these seven years.

A very poor quality Air Filter. Needs to be replaced every 10,000 KM or i Yr at most.

Crude body panel fits and interior. The Bolero seats squeaked everyday.

Pretty elementary door locks. Frequently jammed but were somehow made operational with liberal doses of WD40.

Extremely poor road handling with the leaf spring rear suspension set up.

Vibrations and noises could appear from anywhere - reminding you that It's a Jeep thing, don't worry too much.

A very high number of owners went in for some kind of hard top. I have a Hyderabad hard top installed.

Have all of these issues been addressed now? Some have been but not absolutely.

For the average city punter casual weekend offroader the VX package with a hard top seems a complete solution to keep him overjoyed. That is the core market and will form the bulk of the sales.

The enthusiasm generated has been huge. I hope the average sales figures of less than 300 units per month graduate to 1000 units per month. Then a new market will develop encouraging other to come in. Competition helps. India need the Maruti Suzuki Jimny to appear.

mHAWK

Mahindra developed a good engine, but the manual gear box vibrated too much. Unacceptable standards. But nevertheless it did it's job.

Till date Mahindra have been absolutely unsuccessful with an AT in the mHawk engine. They have withdrawn it quietly twice before between 2012 to 2019.
Have there been improvements > Point to ponder.

My Thar is good for another two seasons. Will replace it with the AX, will get electric windows and mirrors installed and the Hyderabad team of Prabhu and his associates will have to make me a new hard top with the three removable panels. But thats 24 months away.

Last edited by desertfox : 17th August 2020 at 11:02.
desertfox is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 11:27   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Is that our moderator Aditya? Hi, there!
We can only confirm if there is a picture of him in the rear seat showing the knee and head room.
Iyencar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 11:32   #1479
BHPian

Thank you Mahindra - this is such an improvement over the Thar and offering the Wrangler lookalike for probably 1/5th of the original's price (latter still uncertain).

In early 2017, I booked the Thar and post the PDI, cancelled the purchase, losing some booking amount and some amount paid for company lease paperwork. Fortunately, that day I took another TD on the busy Hosur Road (Bangalore) around noon, and the outside smoke so easily coming into the cabin from various gaps totally turned me off. I had made peace with almost everything else that was missing in the Thar, but the outside exhaust fumes. Realized that the only worthwhile reward of the 12 Lakh OTR spend was that nice CRDE engine, nothing else.

Anyway, this version looks like one needn't be a creature comfort sacrificing and/or offroad junkie to buy and drive a Thar. Hopefully this does good numbers, so that such niche vehicles keep getting developed and sold. More so, by Indian brands.

It'll be an awesome garage partner for my V400. Petrol AT, but which colour? hmmm.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 11:33   #1480
KMT
BHPian

I think Mahindra has done an excellent job with the new Thar, although, it is has moved from being a workhorse to a lifestyle vehicle.
Makes sense for the company as thats where the margins are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Perhaps it is for the first time ever that Mahindra have a Petrol engine anywhere in their dictionary.
Perhaps you have forgotten but before Mahindra got their 'International Harvester' design Diesel they had the 'Hurricane' series petrol engines. There are still a few jeeps in my place running around with these engines.

That said, I too am curious as to the roots of the cutrent series of Mahindra petrols. We all know the background of the mhawk and m eagle engines but the GDI petrols roots are a mystery.

PS -I was expecting more than 150hp fro..a 2 Ltr GDI as the 1 Ltr Hyundai GDI puts out 120 bhp. I guess the trade off os better low end torque.
Old 17th August 2020, 11:49   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

Where has it come from ? Origins, development history, Mahindra design and vendor developed or they have picked it up from somewhere, Ford perhaps and rebadged it as M Stallion.
it is in-house developed engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post

That said, I too am curious as to the roots of the cutrent series of Mahindra petrols. We all know the background of the mhawk and m eagle engines but the GDI petrols roots are a mystery.
A friend of mine who works in M&M told me that it is completely in-house developed.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th August 2020 at 12:18. Reason: Mod note attached.
IntoTheStorm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 12:06   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Attachment 2043262

The only thing I am not so sure about is the grille.
The grille looks lame on such a nice looking vehicle. Even steering wheel looks lame to my eyes - doesnt look brute or match the character of this vehicle.

As per google weight is 1.75 tons! It sounds really bulky in comparison to Jimny which tips scales below 1.2 tons.

Remains to be seen how this 1.7 Ton Petrol variant with Torque converter is accepted by market.
Also what happens to old Thar? Does it still get sold in Di variant after this launch? i hope they do.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 12:09   #1483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Also what happens to old Thar? Does it still get sold in Di variant after this launch? i hope they do.
It will be discontinued, because of the Bs6 norms at play from here on. AX variant is the closest one can get to the workhorse avatar of the earlier Thar I guess.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 12:19   #1484
Team-BHP Support

Finally the new Thar is here, whatever said and done they have indeed done a good job! atleast from the video's I have not seen or driven it, so eagerly awaiting a detailed test drive / review. For now I have placed an interest through their website for the Petrol AT LX model.

With regards the looks, i think the front grill has to go as soon as it is out of the showroom, hope M&M will have the kit ready by the time of launch which will have a better layout. Then the comment that it is a lift off from Wrangler, quoting another friend "well it is a 'damn you! no matter what' scenario lol. If M&M made it like the 'x/t'UV cats, then people would have abused them saying they moved out of the "jeep" heritage, against that, would prefer this version".

Vehicle is a huge leap forward in development from the old one, which in reality was more a magic potion brewed by a bunch of talented whacky young folks. Due credits to them to kick start this generation of vehicle development in M&M! Now the pricing is the key, as a premium lifestyle vehicle how much are they going to price it at? Mind you this is not going to be a primary car for majority, even the most exited of yuppy once they try the rear jump seat entrance, will start to rethink. Added to that one can see that the ladder on chassis won't really give you that great ride. Final nail would be the luggage space, carrying it roof top will be inconvenient plus the usual safety aspect. So I feel pricing is the key, hope M&M sticks to reasonable standards and don't go chasing Kia's and Creta's of the world on pricing matter.

For me a Patrol AT at 11-12 Lakh On The Road is a no brainer, anything above will have to wait a long time, atleast post covid. Then again more I think about it, just doesn't make sense to buy a new one. Let people buy and you wait at the preowned market for the right piece, like the last Thar i picked up.
Jaggu is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 12:20   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
In the video, the traction control automatically goes off when using 4wd Low range. Isn't the "brake locking differential" a part of the traction control system like the system in the Wrangler or the new Fortuner/Endeavour?
This was a manual transmission setup. This post shows BLD as part of the automatic only.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks