Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2019, 13:24   #151
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
If the pricing is really between 7L to 10L bracket (as predicted in the link) with new BSVI, fuel efficient engine if compared with the present OTR price of current generation Thar, Mahindra is hitting the perfect spot to capture the off-road enthusiasts' market in India.
I have my doubts about the price range. With all that expected revision, Mahindra is definitely going to kick up the price and break the 10L barrier. Also, I seriously have my doubts on the power hitting the 140bhp mark. At best, they may target around 120 ( my bet is around 110-115), but will look to kick up the low to mid range torque like how they did it on the Mazzaro & XUV300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Expect it to be more of Wrangler.
Precisely, that's the route they are likely to take. Although more of the JK than the JL Wrangler.
daywiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 16:24   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar 2019/2020: A wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Drayne View Post
They kept pushing the 4x4 version further away from the hands of most buyers. What's the point of having such a rugged vehicle if a vital ability is turned into a premium feature?
Just loved this statement of yours. They have just gotten too greedy. If only there was one bare-bones version with 4x4 (and possibly just the rear wash-wipe added as the only additional item, as it kicks up a lot of muck).

I sincerely hope the new Thar is not priced out of the market. Which, is likely because of the room, the weak competition has left for it, to operate in.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 18:49   #153
BHPian

Meanwhile, amidst all the speculations about upcoming Thar, reports are coming of a confirmed special edition of Thar with ABS and few extra goodies before Mahindra discontinues it with the current avatar.

Link

This report also confirms the 140bhp 2.0L BS-VI engine for new gen Thar.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 15th April 2019 at 18:54.
Blooming Flower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 20:45   #154
BHPian

So, is this a Soft-Top TUV300 with 4x4, and an evolution of the MM540/Jeep CJ7 body on it?
I remember that at the TUV300 launch Mahindra claimed that the vehicle was 4x4-ready. I hope Mahindra offers this new Thar with at least a 120 Bhp m-Hawk engine, and a Factory Hard-Top option. ABS and Air Bags are must-haves too.

But I doubt whether Mahindra will wholly discontinue the current Thar CRDe. Most probably the current Thar CRDe will replace the Thar DI. The Thar DI served the rural markets very well, more so 'coz it was the proven Mahindra Major 4x4 with a MM540 body. The CRDe will be an apt and easy replacement to keep the DI market happy.
Old 16th April 2019, 06:43   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Need AT in Thar.
A short wheel base with AT will be a dream come true, but alas you and I can only dream about it. Extremely unlikely that our wishes will come true.
The Suzuki Jimny with Automatic is the perfect city runabout and weekend getaway vehicle, but alas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
So, is this a Soft-Top TUV300 with 4x4, and an evolution of the MM540/Jeep CJ7 body on it?
Not exactly. It is a shorted version of the latest gen Scorpio Chasis. TUV shares the Gen 3 Chasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
But I doubt whether Mahindra will wholly discontinue the current Thar CRDe. Most probably the current Thar CRDe will replace the Thar DI.
Thar CRDe and Thar DI are approved in different category of vehicles as per CMVR. The current gen Thar CRDe will not meet the emission and safety norms mandated by the Indian Govt from April 2020. Hence Mahindra has no choice but to discontinue the current Gen Thar. BTW from the news that I have gotten from dealers and people aware of happenings at the plant, production has been stopped for the Most part and the ABS version if at all it sees the light of day will be the final ones of the current generation.

The Thar DI caters to the utility segment. The typical Thar DI customer buys it as a workhorse and not a personal vehicle, hence the the Thar CRDe will not be a replacement for them.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 16th April 2019 at 06:44.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:04   #156
Senior - BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...po-2020-412375

What's written in this article seems too good to be true - forward facing rear seats, removable hard top, Petrol engine from XUV, AT, extreme off-road version and the likes. Seems like just a day dream by Shapur Kotwal. But Autocar normally do not conjure reports from the air
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:52   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
What's written in this article seems too good to be true - forward facing rear seats, removable hard top, Petrol engine from XUV, AT, extreme off-road version and the likes.

These are interesting ideas and I feel their is a fair chance of it coming true. The Indian Consumer market has evolved a long way since 10 years ago.

Today people are willing to pay about 10 Lakhs on the road for a well equipped hatch back. If they can launch an hard top variant with an automatic and front facing seats, I am sure it will be a hot seller in the urban jungle.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 15:31   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What's written in this article seems too good to be true - forward facing rear seats, removable hard top, Petrol engine from XUV, AT, extreme off-road version and the likes. Seems like just a day dream by Shapur Kotwal. But Autocar normally do not conjure reports from the air

Someone I know has confirmed the Hard top and petrol engine for the Thar. Also, the model spotted was the lower trim and the top spec variant is expected to come even with a standard winch and bigger tyres and alloys.

Also, if I am not wrong, side facing rear seats wont make it due to some crash-test rule. So from what I understand, the Thar wont get side facing seats in any variant.

Last edited by fx45 : 17th April 2019 at 15:34. Reason: Forgot to enter seat info.
fx45 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 15:45   #159
BHPian

A Thar with Petrol engine would be a dream come true. I just so love the real SUV but am reluctant to buy the diesel one as I already drive an XUV which I believe does pollute being a bigger vehicle even though I get it serviced regularly. I did mention it to Anand Mahindra in reply to some of his tweets and hoped he took me seriously. Just hoping, he did!
Car-riedAway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 23:08   #160
Senior - BHPian

I'll just be so happy if it gets front-facing seats, hardtop, 5 doors and a reasonable price. In other words, just bring the Commander/Marshal back!
There is such a dearth of traditional-looking cars, actually there is a dearth of good-looking cars in general unless you spend insane amounts of money.

Slightly off-topic:
We used to have elegant cars like Zen, Gypsy, Premier, Contessa and others. I don't understand what's going on with the current design language of cars. The original Alto versus the current Alto is a good case in point. I hope the Thar is one of the cars that breaks this, and offers a nice-looking, traditional, sturdy car for family use.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 09:42   #161
BHPian

Based on the reports emanating from various sources and the discussion on this thread, it appears that I can tick off the three must have features on my wish list, viz. a hardtop version, front facing rear seats and a powerful engine.
It also appears that the classic design will not be tampered with, which is an important factor.

Now, as I see it, the price is the only deal-breaker. Given all the new features I believe that M&M will price the Next-gen Thar at a premium. What is that premium is the question.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 13:15   #162
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

While what is written in the article many well turn out to be true, the article itself is very poorly written, not deserving of the brand that it represents.

I think a hard top and front facing seats may be required to meet the new safety norms for private cars.
Old 21st April 2019, 11:07   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Also, if I am not wrong, side facing rear seats wont make it due to some crash-test rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I think a hard top and front facing seats may be required to meet the new safety norms for private cars.

I am not sure what the Indian Safety Norms say, but as per European Safety Norms side facing seats are not allowed as it is hard to meet passenger safety norms with side facing seats.

I hope the revised Indian safety norms/regulation compulsory from later this year won't allow side facing seats. This way, Mahindra will be forced to engineer proper front facing seats that meet safety norms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I'll just be so happy if it gets front-facing seats, hardtop, 5 doors and a reasonable price. In other words, just bring the Commander/Marshal back!

I second that. A Four door version like the Marshal/Armada/Commander will be a dream come true. With the Thar CRDe buyers find it difficult to use as the only car, but if a 4 door version came out, then it will have a larger market and people can use it as a single car as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
What is that premium is the question.
I think we will be at Mahindra's mercy as there is virtually no competition in this segment. Given the lower volumes Thar generates and the R&D cost involved, I am sure it will be about 13.x lakhs ex-showroom and hence about 15.x to 16 Lakhs on the road.
Old 21st April 2019, 12:07   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think we will be at Mahindra's mercy as there is virtually no competition in this segment. Given the lower volumes Thar generates and the R&D cost involved, I am sure it will be about 13.x lakhs ex-showroom and hence about 15.x to 16 Lakhs on the road.
That would make the Gurkha a viable option, what with a hard top and all the other goodies bundled in.
Old 21st April 2019, 15:41   #165
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Thar 2019/2020: A wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Drayne View Post
Oh, you're not sticking your neck out on this! I absolutely forgot how important the Scorpio was. And you are right: "well-rounded" is how many would describe the car. And you have had one for 14 years! However, it got very expensive, didn't it? They kept pushing the 4x4 version further away from the hands of most buyers. What's the point of having such a rugged vehicle if a vital ability is turned into a premium feature?
My hope is they keep price of top variant to Rs 12 lakh on-road. The rear layout is still bench. A price of beyond Rs 10 lakh for a car such as this should ensure at least four can sit in comfort.
That's a valid point - about the price of the car. But looking around I find everything is on a steeply rising price curve - aside from consumer electronics!
For this reason I had put the TUV300+ (with that 2.2 L MHawk in the mildly detuned version, making it virtually bullet-proof!) on my radar. Unfortunately, cash-flow issues at the last moment (a scheduled windfall that got postponed!) changed my mind. The 300+ would have been the best replacement for me. With as much space inside as the Scorpio, at a substantially lower price point - plus that state-of-the-art body-on-chassis structure would have ensured similar abuse-friendliness & durability. But then, c'est la vie!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed